Nellis F-16C Crash

Feel free to discuss anything here - as long as it is F-16 related.
  • Author

cutlassracer

Unread post29 Jun 2011, 03:24

No details here, but all I've got so far would be F-16, North part of range at around 5:30 local. Nothing from af yet.
Torrejon, Homestead, Moody, Osan, Holloman
USAF Crew Chief 89-99
F-16D 90-0794/90-0779
F-117A 83-0807

air-to-air

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post29 Jun 2011, 06:37

6/28/2011 - NELLIS AIR FORCE BASE, Nev. -- A U.S. Air Force F-16C Fighting Falcon aircraft crashed about 5:30 p.m. today near Caliente, Nev. The F-16, from Nellis Air Force Base, was participating in an air-to-air combat training mission.

One person was on board. The individual's condition is unknown at this time.

As soon as additional details become available, they will be provided. The accident is under investigation.

Also: http://www.f-16.net/news_article4375.html

Lieven

F-16.net Webmaster

F-16.net Webmaster

Unread post30 Jun 2011, 09:36

Udpate:

On Wednesday rescue efforts were still being conducted for the missing pilot. There have now been three choppers working on search and rescue missions.

Search and rescue teams were trying to spot the parachute and pilot in the suspected crash site, which sits beyond the Nevada Test and Training Range.

The aircraft were conducting dissimilar air combat tactics (DACT) exercises but were not equipped with live weaponry with an active locating device.

The suspected crash site is a rugged area about 20 miles west of Caliente in Lincoln County. It is beyond the boundaries of the Nevada Test and Training Range and some 8 miles from the nearest road on Bureau of Land Management land. The area has many rugged ravines, which would make it difficult to find a pilot if his parachute didn't open.

That_Engine_Guy

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post30 Jun 2011, 20:34

F-16 Pilot Died in Tuesday Crash

LAS VEGAS -- Air Force officials say the pilot of an F-16 Falcon that crashed on Tuesday evening did not survive. The crash happened in the Nevada Test and Training Range, 20 miles west of Caliente, Nevada.

In a statement, Brig. Gen. T.J. O'Shaughnessy said, "Based on evidence recovered from the crash site, and after extensive aerial and ground search efforts, we know that the pilot did not eject from the aircraft prior to impact.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with the pilot's immediate family, Air Force family, and friends during this difficult time."

The name and unit of the pilot has not been released.

Source: http://www.8newsnow.com/story/15006393/ ... sday-crash
[Airplanes are] near perfect, all they lack is the ability to forgive.
— Richard Collins

That_Engine_Guy

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post30 Jun 2011, 20:38

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds...and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of...wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air.
Up, up, the long, delirious burning blue
I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, nor even eagle flew.
And while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space...
...put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

God's speed brother :salute:
Attachments
080211-F-1287F-090.jpg
[Airplanes are] near perfect, all they lack is the ability to forgive.
— Richard Collins

Boman

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post30 Jun 2011, 21:19

:salute:

Asif

F-16.net Editor

F-16.net Editor

Unread post30 Jun 2011, 22:51

LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL wrote:Nellis officials confirm F-16 pilot died in crash

By Keith Rogers
LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL

Posted: Jun. 30, 2011 | 10:34 a.m.
Updated: Jun. 30, 2011 | 1:15 p.m

Air Force Capt. Eric Ziegler, the pilot of an F-16C fighter jet, died when his jet crashed Tuesday on public land near the Nevada Test and Training Range, Nellis Air Force Base officials and sources in Fargo, N.D., said Thursday.

News of his death spread quickly through his hometown, West Fargo, N.D., where the 30-year-old Ziegler, a 2003 Air Force Academy graduate assigned to Nellis, starred in high school football. His death was confirmed by his West Fargo High School football coach, Jay Gibson.

Gibson, in a telephone interview with the Review-Journal, described him as a staunch competitor on the field and a model student in the classroom.

"He was a perfectionist. He did everything over the top. He played (defensive) back for us. He played wide receiver and all the special teams. We had to yank him off he field because he wanted to be in the game all the time," said Gibson, the school's head coach and Ziegler's former teacher whose son received word of his death through a text message.

"Sometimes competitors are cranky," Gibson said. "He was very polite and respectful. Boy, he's going to be really missed."

Ziegler was a graduate of West Fargo High School, and helped guide his team to the 1999 state championship. He is survived by his wife, Sarah, who works for the Air Force in Las Vegas, and 9-month-old daughter, Anna, The Forum newspaper of Fargo-Moorhead reported.

Gibson, who also taught Ziegler's sister, Erin, said the Air Force was a perfect fit for Ziegler because "when your players believe in what you say, they can do amazing things. And that's what he did. Structure and following orders were built for him."

Conclusive evidence from the crash site confirmed he did not survive when his jet slammed into the rugged terrain, 20 miles west of Caliente in Lincoln County.

While pathology tests continue, "based on evidence recovered from the crash site and after extensive aerial and ground search efforts, we know that the pilot did not eject from the aircraft prior to the impact," Brig. Gen. T.J. O'Shaughnessy, commander of the 57th Wing at Nellis, said in an announcement Thursday.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with the pilot's immediate family, Air Force family, and friends during this difficult time."

The pilot's identity was withheld in keeping with the 24-hour protocol for notifying next of kin.

O'Shaughnessy said an investigation into the accident is "in the very early stages."

"For the next several weeks, a trained investigation board will focus their exclusive efforts on collecting and protecting evidence from the scene and gathering and analyzing all relevant data with the specific purpose of determining the cause so we may prevent future mishaps," he said.

A third rescue helicopter was dispatched to the crash area Wednesday to continue the search for the pilot, which began at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday when the F-16C Fighting Falcon went down during a "dogfight."

The crash site is on rugged terrain owned by the Bureau of Land Management, about 150 miles north of Las Vegas.

It is about 40 miles northeast of the boundaries of the Nevada Test and Training Range and about eight miles from the nearest road,

At a press briefing Tuesday night, O'Shaughnessy said the accident occurred during a "dogfight" between two aircraft during a combat training mission within the 12,000-square-mile operating airspace managed by the Test and Training Range.

The pilot was the only person in the aircraft. The search focused on the ejection seat parachute and the pilot.

O'Shaughnessy said the jet was not armed with live weaponry when it crashed and did not have an "active" locating device.

Jets such as F-16Cs are normally equipped with an ejection seat that has a built-in emergency locator transponder, as described in an Air Force fact sheet.

However, officials involved in the search did not detect a signal in the vicinity of the crash area.

A source familiar with the exercises said the canyon area where fighter pilots fly simulated combat missions has many rugged ravines.

The source, who spoke on condition he not be named, described the exercise as "dissimilar air combat tactics," a type of training that, in this case, pits different types of fighter jets against each other.

Nellis is the busiest flying base in Air Combat Command, producing 42,000 sorties each year. In addition to fighter pilot training, regular Red Flag and Green Flag air combat training exercises are conducted involving warplanes from bases within and outside the United States.

The range's 12,000 square miles of airspace includes 5,000 square miles over public land but jets such as the F-22 Raptor can cross it in seven minutes, flying at roughly 17 miles per minute.

The F-16 Fighting Falcon flies at a maximum speed of about 1,500 mph. It is a fighter jet used by multiple Air Force squadrons, including the Thunderbirds air demonstration team, which is based at Nellis.

More than 4,400 F-16s have been manufactured since 1976.

The F-16C and F-16D models cost about $19 million each. The C and D models were built in the 1980s, and there are now about 1,280 in the U.S. inventory, according to an Air Force fact sheet.

The last fatal crash during a combat exercise over the Nellis range complex occurred July 30, 2008, when Lt. Col. Thomas A. Bouley was killed when his F-15D Eagle fighter jet went down.

source: http://www.lvrj.com/news/evidence-confi ... ml?ref=914
Attachments
crash-map.jpg
Asif Shamim
F-16.net Editorial staff & Patch Gallery Administration

Gordy_falconfixr

Unread post01 Jul 2011, 04:35

I knew Eric and his wife while stationed at Spangdahlem. He was a great pilot and an outstanding person to talk to. He will sorely be missed and my thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

alphapapaoscaroscarindia

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post01 Jul 2011, 10:43

:salute:

nam11b

Unread post01 Jul 2011, 17:48

Godspeed. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family. I simply cannot imagine what they are going through.

Asif

F-16.net Editor

F-16.net Editor

Unread post01 Jul 2011, 21:22

NELLIS AIR FORCE BASE wrote:Nellis pilot in F-16C Mishap identified
Posted 7/1/2011

Release Number: 110701

7/1/2011 - NELLIS AIR FORCE BASE, Nev. -- U.S. Air Force officials have identified the pilot involved in an aircraft mishap near Caliente, Nev., June 28 as Capt. Eric Ziegler, 30, an operational test and evaluation instructor pilot with the 422nd Test and Evaluation Squadron at Nellis Air Force Base.

Brig. Gen. Terrence O'Shaughnessy, commander of the 57th Wing, announced June 30 that search and rescue teams had found conclusive evidence that Captain Ziegler did not survive when his U.S. Air Force F-16C Fighting Falcon crashed during a combat training exercise. The mishap occurred on Bureau of Land Management property approximately 20 miles west of Caliente while the aircraft was operating in military airspace managed by the Nevada Test and Training Range.

A native of West Fargo, N.D., Captain Ziegler was a 1999 graduate of West Fargo High School. He graduated from the U.S. Air Force Academy in 2003 and earned a master's degree in 2010. Captain Ziegler was an experienced pilot with over 1,200 flight hours, primarily in the F-16 Fighting Falcon, with operational assignments at Kunsan Air Base, Korea; Spangdahlem Air Base, Germany; and Nellis AFB, Nev. During those assignments, he flew more than 300 combat hours on three deployments. His decorations include the Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters, and an Aerial Achievement Medal. Captain Ziegler also had recently been selected to attend the elite U.S. Air Force Weapons School.

"Words can't express how much we'll miss Eric," said Lt. Col. Ryan Suttlemyre, 422 TES commander. "He was a special friend, a phenomenal husband and father, and a terrific aviator and officer. Our hearts go out to his family during this difficult time."

The family of Captain Ziegler has requested privacy, but said the following in a prepared family statement:

"Eric was a man of character and faith who deeply loved his family as well as flying. His sense of humor, spontaneity, faith, zest for life, love of family and country are the hallmarks of his personality. He was a true son of the United States."

An investigation into the accident began almost immediately.

"For the next several weeks, a trained investigation board will focus its exclusive efforts on collecting and protecting evidence from the scene and gathering and analyzing all relevant data with the specific purpose of determining the cause so we may prevent future mishaps," General O'Shaughnessy said. "The safety of the local community and our Airmen is my top priority."

source: http://www.nellis.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123262504
Attachments
110701-F-XY229-001.jpg
Capt. Eric Ziegler poses for a photo during one of his three combat deployments. Ziegler, 30, an operational test and evaluation instructor pilot with the 422nd TES at Nellis AFB.
Asif Shamim
F-16.net Editorial staff & Patch Gallery Administration

mischieviouscrewcheivious

Unread post01 Jul 2011, 21:25

I knew him and his wife while I was stationed at Spangdahlem. I along with many other crew chiefs got the chance to get him in the air so that he could do what he does best. He was honestly one of the better pilots to launch out because of his great attitude towards maintainers. He actually gave a sh*t, probably because his wife (at the time ) was our AMU OIC back when we were the BIG 22 and I’m sure she never let him get away with talking bad. I’m not very religious, but by all means I really hope that (former) Capt. Sarah Ziegler can get through this even with their brand new child. We lost a damn good man, and I sure as hell hope that his legacy as a great pilot with an excellent attitude gets carried on. He’s on BAMF status forever now!

Code3

Unread post02 Jul 2011, 07:36

Push ups Dirk. RIP. You are missed.

Boman

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

JakeMelampy

F-16.net Editor

F-16.net Editor

Unread post03 Jul 2011, 04:00

I never had the pleasure of meeting Capt. Ziegler, but I feel the loss. I appreciate what all you guys in uniform do for us and our country.

Jake

Next

Return to General F-16 forum