F22 in Australian airshow?

Anything goes, as long as it is about the Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor
  • Author

beepa

Unread post21 Jan 2011, 10:24

Hey all...after sweating on the lineup of birds at Avalon this year I am amazed at the results. While I take everything that a media company posts with, "a grain of salt". It appears that someone thinks there will be a F22 at Avalon this year!

http://www.airshow.net.au/avalon2011/ai ... splay.html

While this would be a "once in a lifetime" event for us in Aust., why would a "rare" and most valuable asset be deployed, with the usual unlimited support that the USAF supplies, to an airshow here?.
I don't believe I will, (first hand), ever see a Raptor outside of the USA or JPN that wasn't angry..(no airshows)
Soz all, but considering the restricted numbers of the fleet, my two cents say that any Raptor in Aust will be at work...or in a heritage flyby...

hcobb

Banned

Unread post21 Jan 2011, 15:03

The F-22's best role is at airshows.

The F-35 isn't much to look at. In fake it tends to blend in with the background, until it's too late to escape from it.

psychmike

Unread post22 Jan 2011, 00:20

The F-22 has performed in the Canadian International Air Show in Toronto. Twice. Truly, it was an awesome site. The Hornets and Vipers always make impressive zoom climbs but the Raptor's agility and sheer power was impressive. At low speed, it slowly pointed its nose up and just started climbing. Closest damn thing to a rocket ship...

aaam

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post22 Jan 2011, 04:32

psychmike wrote:The F-22 has performed in the Canadian International Air Show in Toronto. Twice. Truly, it was an awesome site. The Hornets and Vipers always make impressive zoom climbs but the Raptor's agility and sheer power was impressive. At low speed, it slowly pointed its nose up and just started climbing. Closest damn thing to a rocket ship...

It has also performed at Farnborough and the Royal International Air Tatoo.

It'll be nice that the nation that has historically been our most supportive ally will get to see the plane, but it'll also be mildly insulting. We'll be saying, "See our impressive wonderplane and what a good job it can do for you?? It's the best, but our Congress doesn't think you are worthy of being allowed to buy it".

popcorn

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post22 Jan 2011, 08:14

I don't think the Aussies were ever in the market for the F-22. There may have been some polite inquiries at some point early on, most likely out of curiosity but no serious interest, much less government lobbying to acquire the jet.

The pro-Raptor frenzy down under seems to be emanating from one vocal group whose website espouses visions of hordes of SU-35s and more recently PAK-FAs and J-20s sweeping down from the north. :D

skicountry

Unread post22 Jan 2011, 20:15

The Raptor has also done its thing at FIDAE in Santiago, Chile. It does get out there.

psychmike - Your ears must still be understandably ringing from those great lakefront shows. Toronto’s had the Raptor three times. Dozer in 2006, Max in 2007 and Zeke in 2009. I’m pretty sure Dozer’s appearance in 2006 was the first anywhere outside of the US.

psychmike

Unread post22 Jan 2011, 23:54

Skicountry: Oh, the Raptor puts on a great show. Anyone who doubts the Raptor's agility needs to have their head examined. At several times, the Raptor appeared to be (and likely was) flying backwards (or at least moving backwards).

Out of curiosity, are you sure regarding the 3 appearances in Toronto? I'm not positive but I think its appearance in the 2006 show was cancelled due to weather. Any word on whether it's likely to make another appearance in Toronto?

aaam

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post23 Jan 2011, 07:40

popcorn wrote:I don't think the Aussies were ever in the market for the F-22. There may have been some polite inquiries at some point early on, most likely out of curiosity but no serious interest, much less government lobbying to acquire the jet.

The pro-Raptor frenzy down under seems to be emanating from one vocal group whose website espouses visions of hordes of SU-35s and more recently PAK-FAs and J-20s sweeping down from the north. :D

To the best of my knowledge there were three countries definitely interested in acquiring the F-22:

Israel, although we'd have to loan or grant them the funds,

Japan, who wanted it so bad they were willing to fund sustaining the production line or funding modifications to their version to make it more "acceptable" to Washington, and

Australia, which would pay cash on the barrellhead (what a concept, nowadays!). They made it clear that was what they wanted, although I don't remember if they made a formal official request. Probably didn't want to strain relations and suffer embarsment if they formally asked and were officially turned down.
Last edited by aaam on 23 Jan 2011, 09:05, edited 1 time in total.

chrisrt

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post23 Jan 2011, 07:43

Strange how the Raptor will fly at other's airshows but when they ferry across the U.S. for a show they just park 'em.

popcorn

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post23 Jan 2011, 12:39

aaam wrote:
popcorn wrote: They made it clear that was what they wanted...

What's you basis for this? If they had made their intentions "clear", it would have been plastrered all over the internet by now.. specially by Kopp and company. He'd never let the Aussie government and the world forget it. At the most, they were most likely just curious to evaluate its capabilities to see IF it might be suitable. Their final judgment favored the f-35 as best meeting their needs.

aaam

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post24 Jan 2011, 01:27

popcorn wrote:
aaam wrote:
popcorn wrote: They made it clear that was what they wanted...

What's you basis for this? If they had made their intentions "clear", it would have been plastrered all over the internet by now.. specially by Kopp and company. He'd never let the Aussie government and the world forget it. At the most, they were most likely just curious to evaluate its capabilities to see IF it might be suitable. Their final judgment favored the f-35 as best meeting their needs.

Granted I may have been a bit too forceful in use of the word "clear", there were no banners waved.

On the other hand,

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2008 ... jets_N.htm

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/nation ... 1115260659

http://www.asiafinest.com/forum/index.p ... pic=149672

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nationa ... 1112991430

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news/na ... 51381.html

etc.

Note that I have avoided Kopp. Frankly, I'm not sure the F-22 would be the best choice for Australia (not that anyone listens to me), but they certainly wanted the option and to be able to evaluate it for a purcjase

munny

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post24 Jan 2011, 07:30

Oooo .... not only a F-22, but a B-2 as well according to the program.

skicountry

Unread post03 Feb 2011, 17:33

Pscyhmike: Sorry for the tardy response. Yes, I am sure that the Raptor was there in 2006. The weather was crappy with intermittent showers and low ceilings but a pair of Raptors did make a few impressive passes and then Dozer did a few of his “unofficial” moves off stage center and way out over the lake.

Not a great video but verification nonetheless,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laWTzWoyfw0

batu731

Unread post05 Feb 2011, 13:18

aaam wrote:
popcorn wrote:I don't think the Aussies were ever in the market for the F-22. There may have been some polite inquiries at some point early on, most likely out of curiosity but no serious interest, much less government lobbying to acquire the jet.

To the best of my knowledge there were three countries definitely interested in acquiring the F-22:

Israel, although we'd have to loan or grant them the funds,

Japan, who wanted it so bad they were willing to fund sustaining the production line or funding modifications to their version to make it more "acceptable" to Washington, and

Australia, which would pay cash on the barrellhead (what a concept, nowadays!). They made it clear that was what they wanted, although I don't remember if they made a formal official request. Probably didn't want to strain relations and suffer embarsment if they formally asked and were officially turned down.

Israel, hell no, they'd sell the vital info to the Chinese the second day after they get hands on the Raptor.

Aussies, why do they need F-22 anyway? Invade New Zealand? :P

EOR

Unread post05 Feb 2011, 22:40

4 Nellis raptors were cleared to Hickam last week. makes them closer than they were before.
Next

Return to General F-22A Raptor forum