AWACS datalink to F-16?

Feel free to discuss anything here - as long as it is F-16 related.
  • Author

parrothead

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post20 Jul 2004, 06:20

I was wondering if the F-16 has the capability to receive a datalink from an AWACS in such a way that the F-16 pilot doesn't have to turn on his radar and advertise his position? This seems like common sense to me as the F-16 knows where it is by GPS and INS and the datalink from the AWACS could provide the position data from that aircraft so that the F-16 could create a "virtual radar" based on the combined data. Would this be an advantage for the F-16 and would the pilots around here like to see this capability if it doesn't exist? It should go without saying, but no classified stuff, OK :wink: ?

Thanks in advance!!!
No plane on Sunday, maybe be one come Monday...
www.parrotheadjeff.com

LinkF16SimDude

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post20 Jul 2004, 07:33

This is probably do-able using either Link-16 or JTIDS and the SADL function on late-model C/Ds. The premise is a good one: knowing whose's who and whose's where using off-board sensor inputs. And with LANTIRN/SHARPSHOOTER/SNIPER installed I think you could run the entire engagement without ever bringing the FCR out of standby.

Anyone else care to chime in?

chickenlegs

Unread post22 Jul 2004, 03:01

Capabilities exist. However, those working on the jets really shouldn't discuss this issue. I believe with a little research you can find this info on the internet.
Have a great day!
Chickenlegs

(Just my opinion)
F-4E, T-38, A-7D, F-16C Crew Chief, QA, & Other

parrothead

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post22 Jul 2004, 08:04

chickenlegs, first, thanks for the answer as you gave it. I never want anyone to disclose anything sensitive. I asked here first because I figure that the people here know what they're talking about and I know I can count on them to maintain their silence when it's the right thing to do. I'll do some research on the web and see what I can find. :)
No plane on Sunday, maybe be one come Monday...
www.parrotheadjeff.com

redhead

Unread post19 May 2005, 00:27

Sounds like a good idea parrothead; I was a F-16 mechanic that rode
AWACs as security-support ten years ago in OPC Turkey. It was neat to
was Saddams Mirages try to sneek up on the group. I wound't be supprised to see that capability on the new J-Star type Boeing Bird/Battle Mang. system that they use. Most of its capability really encompasses ground management and air, but kept fairly hush hush.

Biggen

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post19 May 2005, 05:17

There is absolutely nothing sensitive about the fact that the F-16, F-15, F-14, F-18, etc can receive surveillance tracks from an AWACS via data link.

cru

Unread post19 May 2005, 05:54

parrothead,

Any plane (not only the F 16) that has MIDS datalink can do this. MIDS is a newer version of Link 16 terminal, and because US teamed with France, UK, Spain, Germany and Italy, the price is much lower (~ $300,000/piece). In US all the frontline planes has MIDS installed. There are two versions: LVT (Low Volume Terminal) and FDL (Fighter Data Link). Both are similar,but the FDL is a little less performant (185 Nmiles max.range,compared with 300 Nmiles, no voice chanell, no TACAN integration). The LVT is already installed on F 16 blk. 50 (soon to be installed on all blk.40 Vipers under the CCIP program), F 18C/D, F 18 E/F, while FDL is installed on F 15C/D and F 15 E.

Outside MIDS participants, Swedish Grippen have this capability.

An F 16 pilot can see on his display what an AWACS operator see on his display, without turning on his APG 68 radar, with a mere 2,5 second delay. He has a clear picture of what is around him upto 500 km away.His plane is in the middle of the display, the bad guys appears on his display ar red triangles, friendly aircrafts appears as green circles, his wingman as a blue circle andunknown aircraft as yellow squares. Other useful info area navigation waypoints, location of hostile air-to-air missile sites, friendly air bases and alternative recovery bases,and a doted line called "Forward Edge of Battle Area" that separates his forces fromthe hostiles. Around 128 fighters can receive these info from one or more E3 or E2.

The AWACS operator can allocate a target to any of the fighters he co-ordanate. In that moment on the display of that fighter, the target designated starts to spark.The fighter pilot knows that he got that target allocated.He can fire a missile without using his radar.The bad guy will not be noticed until too late (3-5 seconds) when the AMRAAM ARH seeker start emiting.

Any fighter pilot can also attack a target on his own initinative.In that case, all the participants in the network (other fighters and AWACS) will see on their displays a doted line between the attacking fighters and his target: in this way they know that that target is already attacked, and redudant attacks are avoided.

Also,all the fighters emitt at specific intervals short messages describing their position, what are they doing (attacking an airborne target, attacking a ground target, refueling, going home, being available for an assignment etc), their weapons and fuelstatus. In this way, the AWACS operator will know in every moment the status of his forces.

mcashe

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post19 May 2005, 18:33

Well, there you have it. Great explanation, Cru. I hope the pilots have a way to "de-clutter" some of this information. Seems like a potential for information overload.

Biggen

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post20 May 2005, 02:33

I hope the pilots have a way to "de-clutter" some of this information.

Very observant. There are declutter options to avoid this problem.

Return to General F-16 forum