F-16 drops fuel tank on garage during emergency

Discussions about F-16.net news articles. A topic is created automatically whenever someone posts a comment in the F-16 News section.
  • Author

Asif

F-16.net Editor

F-16.net Editor

Unread post25 Mar 2009, 17:45

More news on the emergency as reported in the news article F-16 drops fuel tank on garage during emergency.

AvioNews wrote:Military Aviation
04:27 pm - Wednesday
Aviano F-16 problem (2): hypothesis confirmed by USAF inquiry

Pordenone, Italy - The pilot of the fighter dropped the fuel tanks and glided to the base.

(WAPA) - Italian Air Force press office told AVIONEWS that the USAF inquiry on the problem that forced the pilot of an F-16 to drop the fuel tanks among the Aviano base (see AVIONEWS) confirmed the first hypothesis.

The pilot short after taking off completely lost the engine so, to avoid crashing losing the plane and causing huge damages, decided to execute the safety procedures that require to drop all that can weigh down the plane. Then he safely glided to the base without any further problem. (Avionews)

source: http://www.avionews.com/index.php?corpo ... =index.php
Asif Shamim
F-16.net Editorial staff & Patch Gallery Administration

TJSmitty

Unread post25 Mar 2009, 19:22

I hope Italy is better, if it happened here in the US, his "garage" would suddenly become "storage facility for vintage automobiles".... the lawyers would be lining up outside of his house.....

I'm glad nobody on the ground was injured !!

Smitty
Tim Smith
Avionics '81 - present
F-16 A/B/C/D
F-111D FB-111A
F-15A/B
F-22A
F-18E/F & G
Wedgetail

Bodizzle

Unread post25 Mar 2009, 20:19

I'm not completely sure, but I think U.S. barnstorming laws protect against litigation in emergency situations. I know they allow you to land your plane anywhere you want in an emergency.

Asif

F-16.net Editor

F-16.net Editor

Unread post26 Mar 2009, 09:26

Star & Stripes wrote:Air Force: Emergency forces F-16 to drop fuel tanks
Stars and Stripes
European edition, Thursday, March 26, 2009

AVIANO AIR BASE, Italy — An Aviano-based F-16 involved in an "in-flight emergency" jettisoned its two external fuel tanks Tuesday afternoon, damaging a building and a vehicle in a nearby town.

No one was reported hurt in the incident, which took place about 3 p.m., according to Tech. Sgt. Michael O’Connor, a public affairs officer with the 31st Fighter Wing.

"The pilot was able to safely maneuver back to the installation and land," O’Connor said.

The jet was flying near the town of Tamai di Brugnera, about 15 miles south of Aviano when the problem occurred. One of the tanks landed in a yard in the town, but the other tore through a garage roof and hit a vehicle parked inside. An unknown amount of fuel was also spilled during the impacts.

"When they hit, they essentially disintegrated into small pieces," O’Connor said.

He said Air Force and Italian safety and law enforcement personnel visited the sites to clean up debris and assess the damage. The Air Force will investigate the incident, O’Connor said.

The base lost one of its F-16s on Sept. 18, 2007, when it crashed into the mountains north of the base.

That crash, blamed on weather, a malfunctioning part and pilot error, occurred near the village of Soramae di Zolto Alto. No one was hurt on the ground, and the pilot ejected safely.

source: http://www.stripes.com/article.asp?sect ... icle=61594
Asif Shamim

Racer181

Unread post26 Mar 2009, 15:57

As a private pilot, I can tell you the FAA authorizes me to land my aircraft anywhere i see fit for and emergency situation.
The USAF will cut a nice check to the owner of the garage. Happend out at Buckley AFB a long time ago A-7 wing tanks landed on some cattle the 140th paid for the cattle and had a bbq.
TSgt Joe
Former ACC 86-0258
181st Intel Wing "Racers"
NCOIC Base Honor Guard

skyhigh

Unread post27 Mar 2009, 03:35

I hope the external fuel tanks didn't explode!

That_Engine_Guy

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post27 Mar 2009, 06:16

Hmmm, must have been a GE Viper... :shrug:
They haven't been doing too well, as of late.
Must be time for a GE maintenance awareness program?

Keep 'em flyin' :thumb:
TEG

Bodizzle

Unread post27 Mar 2009, 11:40

skyhigh wrote:I hope the external fuel tanks didn't explode!

Things don't explode on impact like in the movies, or when you shoot them either. It's the vapor or atomized form of fuel that is flammable, not the liquid. Trust me you're not going to get the right fuel/air ratio to get jet fuel to light like that,

marcosommacal

Unread post27 Mar 2009, 17:46

Hi,
I would like to share with you a photo of the Emergency Landing of the 89-2102 after he drop the two external tanks...

It's not the best picture I've made but it shows the white smoke coming out from the engine nozzle and the absence of the two tanks!
Bye
Marco

Asif

F-16.net Editor

F-16.net Editor

Unread post27 Mar 2009, 18:58

Great photo Marco. Much appreciated that you shared it with us.
Asif Shamim

marcosommacal

Unread post27 Mar 2009, 21:15

You're welcome, it's a pleasure! Luckily it's not a thing you see so often!

Bye

Marco

VarkVet

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post28 Mar 2009, 13:36

Great picture … what’s odd is the motor isn’t locked in SEC with nozzle closed and there is no evidence that the jet even had wing tanks because it looks like the under wing panels are on and I don’t see an aft pivot mount, or what’s left of the front mount?
My eyes have seen the glory of the Lord and the esthetics of the Flightline

marcosommacal

Unread post29 Mar 2009, 21:28

To add more...
I know It's not the best pic but it shows that during the first take-off of the 89-2102 on 24.03.09 it had 2 fuel tanks. I think he drop also the Pylons...
After that mission he RTB, made a Hot-Pit and then he took-off againg.

Bye
Marco

tokenblkguy1785

Unread post30 Mar 2009, 10:10

VarkVet wrote:Great picture … what’s odd is the motor isn’t locked in SEC with nozzle closed and there is no evidence that the jet even had wing tanks because it looks like the under wing panels are on and I don’t see an aft pivot mount, or what’s left of the front mount?

I think the article states that the engine lost ALL power, and may have been operating on EPU?

Asif wrote:More news on the emergency as reported in the news article F-16 drops fuel tank on garage during emergency.

AvioNews wrote:Military Aviation
04:27 pm - Wednesday
Aviano F-16 problem (2): hypothesis confirmed by USAF inquiry

Pordenone, Italy - The pilot of the fighter dropped the fuel tanks and glided to the base.

(WAPA) - Italian Air Force press office told AVIONEWS that the USAF inquiry on the problem that forced the pilot of an F-16 to drop the fuel tanks among the Aviano base (see AVIONEWS) confirmed the first hypothesis.

The pilot short after taking off completely lost the engine so, to avoid crashing losing the plane and causing huge damages, decided to execute the safety procedures that require to drop all that can weigh down the plane. Then he safely glided to the base without any further problem. (Avionews)

source: http://www.avionews.com/index.php?corpo ... =index.php

tokenblkguy1785

Unread post30 Mar 2009, 10:11

marcosommacal wrote:To add more...
I know It's not the best pic but it shows that during the first take-off of the 89-2102 on 24.03.09 it had 2 fuel tanks. I think he drop also the Pylons...

The wing tank and pylon usually eject as one unit.
Next

Return to F-16 News