Thunderbirds change up their maneuvers

Discussions about F-16.net news articles. A topic is created automatically whenever someone posts a comment in the F-16 News section.
  • Author

StevenHolzinger

Unread post12 Mar 2009, 18:57

Newer F-16s allow team to add new maneuvers
By Erik Holmes - Staff writer
Posted : Wednesday Mar 11, 2009 17:32:26 EDT

The Air Force Air Demonstration Squadron, better known as the Thunderbirds, kicks off its 2009 air show season Thursday with its annual acceptance show at Nellis Air Force Base, Nev.

The acceptance show gives the commander of Air Combat Command, Gen. John Corley, a chance to preview the demonstration and sign off on the 2009 program before the Thunderbirds hit the road.

The season officially starts March 21 with a show at Luke Air Force Base, Ariz., and concludes Nov. 15 at Nellis.

The acceptance show will be the team's first chance to show off its newer block 52 F-16 jets, which feature more powerful engines and advanced avionics.

The additional thrust will allow the Thunderbirds to start off each show with a bang. Within a few seconds of lifting off the runway, a four-aircraft diamond-formation loop will execute a full loop.

The team also is spicing up the maneuvers flown by the two solo pilots, who fly much of the show separate from the diamond formation.

This year, some of the solo maneuvers will be replaced by more challenging opposing maneuvers in which the two solo aircraft fly at each other on an apparent collision course before narrowly missing.

Source: More-powerful planes throw T-birds for a loop

I'll be seeing the team six times this year (though two times will be over the ocean) and I'm looking forward to seeing the diamond loop on takeoff! I know the Blues do it, but it'll be the first time I've seen the Thunderbirds do it. I really think 23:44-25:33 should come back... that was pretty cool if you ask me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMjpZfaQhY0

maddog2840

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post12 Mar 2009, 21:32

Sneak preview on 17 MAR when they do the Indian Springs Appreciation Day. They kick off at 1100. Come early. You'll have to park off base and walk in.

Watched them do their work up all last week and didn't see anything new.
Vipers Fight while Raptors Train.

olgo

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post13 Mar 2009, 02:29

I am sitting in my hotel room after just having spent the better part of the last three days with the team. I got to see up close and very personal tue. wed. practice and today's acceptance show. The new jets are powerful, loud and quick. The show ,which by the way has the first significant changes in 22 years was a piece of work. the changes are dramatic and exploit the acft's power and the aircrew's brilliance. No, the Blue's do not do a loop on take off. It is a remarkable opening maneuver that had everyone spellbound. The duel solo split S with a knife edge cross at the bottom was fantastic and the hi alpha pass was beyond possible. The digital flight controls did not want to do what #5 was doing to it and it showed if you watched the stab movement.
This was a extraordinary effort to get this show put together. New jets that took maintainers to a very high level of work load, a new show and all the demands that that entails and also the original new#2 being replaced in Jan. with a new guy who had lost the first half of the training season. He was outstanding at his position and a nice guy to boot. Everyone worked like dogs and got it done on time and with a remarkable show.
This team is good.
Walking the flight line again and sticking my head in the exhaust of a recently run jet, feeling the heat,the sounds, the raw taste of the flightline.
How much I loved being a crew chief.

Olgo
T-38A
F-105D/F CREW CHIEF On All
F-4C/E
F-104A
F-5E/F

falconmaintainer

Unread post13 Mar 2009, 04:43

maddog2840 wrote:Watched them do their work up all last week and didn't see anything new.

Interesting!! I saw them all last week at Creech and the whole show was different :wink:
Stephanie

Fuel Shop! If you got the drip, we got the cure!

outlaw162

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post14 Mar 2009, 17:19

My favorite part is when they all lower their transparencies together.

OL

Gums

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post14 Mar 2009, 23:23

Salute

TNX for the update Olgo.

I am wondering if the takeoff isn't the "original" one they used the first year they went to the Viper.

I didn't see it after a year or two.

They made a burner climb and then kept pulling up, up and did part of a "cloverleaf", then zoomed away from the field about ninety degrees from takeoff heading.

The one thing about the 'birds that has always impressed me is the tempo. Living down in the Blues' homeground, I see them a lot. For some reason, their show is "slower". You know, four-ship does something, then solo dudes come by maybe a half minute later, then another half-minute or longer for the four-ship to come back.

When you can see both teams about a week apart, you'll see the difference.

The Viper made for a lot quicker passes compared to the Talons, and was very obvious that first year.

I wish the 'birds well.

Gums sends ...
Gums
Viper pilot '79
"God in your guts, good men at your back, wings that stay on - and Tally Ho!"

That_Engine_Guy

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post14 Mar 2009, 23:42

It's all about the power....

The PW-229s will give the 'Birds about 3,000lbs more thrust at MIL and over 5,000lbs in MAX 'burner.

The PW-220s of last year's team were rated at about 14,600 MIL and 23,700 MAX where the PW-229s will now give 17,800 MIL and 29,100 MAX.

Granted the Block 52s are heavier jets, but the engine has more than enough power to compensate!

I can't wait to see them! :applause:
The two best parts of any T-bird show is the FIRE and the NOISE! :inlove:

Keep 'em flyin' :thumb:
TEG
[Airplanes are] near perfect, all they lack is the ability to forgive.
— Richard Collins

FlightDreamz

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post15 Mar 2009, 01:54

Can't wait to see them again this Memorial Day weekend at the Bethpage Federal Credit Union Airshow at Jones Beach! http://www.jonesbeachairshow.com/index.html The A-10 demonstration team is scheduled to perform too. :D
A fighter without a gun . . . is like an airplane without a wing.— Brigadier General Robin Olds, USAF.

LinkF16SimDude

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post18 Mar 2009, 06:43

olgo wrote:...the hi alpha pass was beyond possible...

With the extra power, will the pass be either slower or steeper than it was in the past?
Last edited by LinkF16SimDude on 19 Mar 2009, 10:50, edited 1 time in total.
Why does "monosyllabic" have 5 syllables?

olgo

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post19 Mar 2009, 05:11

According to #5 "TONKA" Its about the same as last year and to the spectator it looks the same. The fact that the digital flt.control sys.does not allow for this flight configuration increases pilot work load dramatically. Simply put, the jet is doing something it is not supposed to do.
Olgo

MVSGas

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post20 Mar 2009, 04:28

They got here today (Luke AFB) and did the arrival show (I think that is what is called) The seem a lot more quiet... or maybe I am more deaf, they keep changing my base line at the hearing test. It sounded as they where in Idle a lot more than I remember. Hope this is a good weekend here.
http://www.luke.af.mil/openhouse2009/index.asp

Scorpion1alpha

F-16.net Moderator

F-16.net Moderator

Unread post23 Mar 2009, 08:50

I'm all for a change in the T-Birds routine. Let's hope for the best for them.
I'm watching...

Meathook

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post25 Mar 2009, 03:04

Nice to see the boys and girls changing a bit here and there, keeps them on their toes - fly safe brothers and sisters, fly safe -
More than likely have "been there and done that at some point", it sure keeps you young if done correctly

Return to F-16 News