Maverick and TGP alignment

This particular forum is for everything related to F-16 Armament, fuel tanks, and other stores.
  • Author

cupra

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post14 Feb 2020, 22:04

Does anyone of you know if the alignment of the mavericks in combination with a target pod like the sniper is only done in flight or are there options to to this stuff also on ground ops? Like special target markings at the ramp area or during taxi?

sprstdlyscottsmn

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

Unread post14 Feb 2020, 22:14

AFAIK, which may not be much. A Mav can only be boresighted to plane axis, slewed manually, or slaved to a Sensor Point of Interest (SPI). A SPI can be designated by a Sniper or LITENING pod.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer
-PATRIOT Systems Engineer

cupra

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post14 Feb 2020, 22:56

Ok.. other question.. can the TGP SPI in combination with AGM-65 be set during ground ops or does the aircraft have to be airborne already?

sprstdlyscottsmn

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

Unread post14 Feb 2020, 22:59

that would have to be done in the air, otherwise you are just plotting waypoints.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer
-PATRIOT Systems Engineer

Meteor

Unread post14 Feb 2020, 23:39

I was on the initial Block 42 / LANTIRN cadre at Luke in 1988-1990. We only had the NVP, as the TGP had not yet been delivered. We carried the AGM-65D on both the LAU-88 and LAU-117. (AGM-65G did not yet exist.) This was before the current medium altitude tactics existed. We planned on delivering AGM-65s at night from 300' AGL and 540 knots in the Fulda Gap against about a bazillion Warsaw pact tanks. (I know...rather ridiculous.)

We planned on employing GMT on the radar as the SOI to get us pointed in the right direction, then acquire targets using the NVP display SOI in the HUD, then lock onto targets using the expanded Maverick seeker picture on the MFD SOI. (I know...rather ridiculous.)

We needed to align the NVP / HUD picture to the real world outside, then align each AGM-65 to the HUD picture. You couldn't do it in the chocks, because we needed to have fine targets to align on that were several thousand feet away. After going through the arming area, we'd park in the runway hammerhead and point the aircraft down the field. We could use the runway lights 5-10,000' away for a very accurate alignment.

Since there were no IR (heated) targets on the Gila Bend ranges, we'd fly a low level route down to I-10, then go back and forth across the highway practicing the GMT-HUD-MFD sequence to blow up unsuspecting 18-wheelers.

There was also an option to select "pairs" on the AGM-65. You'd lock the Mavericks onto separate targets, then launch them simultaneously. Successfully accomplishing that without running into the dirt earned you the a beer and the admiration of your fellow aviators!
F-4C/D, F-16A/B/C/D, 727, DC-10, MD-80, A321

cupra

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post15 Feb 2020, 12:25

Thanks for the information :)

So there are no SOP or anything else that would forbid making your weapons ready on the ground? I know, in simulations there are not always the real procedures possible because the handling is different to the real world. But using the ground jettison switch to override the WoW switch (if this procedure would work in RL or not is not the important thing actual) and then boresight the maverick to the TGP would not be forbidden in the US squadrons if you find targets to use? So, runway lights, other aircraft and so on? Or depend this on individual squadron SOPs?

That was the primary intension of my question. :wink:

basher54321

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post15 Feb 2020, 13:21

No idea on the Sniper and would doubt that was in the public domain - shame Meteor didn't use the TGP. I have info that tells me boresighting the AGM-65 with the older ALQ-14 TGP was possible on the ground but only if the dome covers were not installed on the missiles. I cant say if that was the actual reality though.

I suspect your question is regarding simulators that make you boresight airborne is it not?

cupra

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post15 Feb 2020, 16:15

I just want to find out if (complete forget how it works in RL) there are rules in real life that would forbid weapon alignments during ground ops. ;) If they are possible or not or how they are done should not be part of the discussion. Just, would it be allowed if it would work or not?

I do not know exactly what the GND jetisson switch makes possible at the SMS in the real bird, the latest documentation I have is from 1992´s F-16... for me it is just about allowed or not ;)

I do not know if an AGM would launch on ground when some switches are on.. but I do not want to think about what can happen if something like this runs wrong… see belgian F-16 that shot their gun on the ground…

tjodalv43

Unread post16 Feb 2020, 06:29

cupra wrote:I just want to find out if (complete forget how it works in RL) there are rules in real life that would forbid weapon alignments during ground ops. ;) If they are possible or not or how they are done should not be part of the discussion. Just, would it be allowed if it would work or not?

I do not know exactly what the GND jetisson switch makes possible at the SMS in the real bird, the latest documentation I have is from 1992´s F-16... for me it is just about allowed or not ;)

I do not know if an AGM would launch on ground when some switches are on.. but I do not want to think about what can happen if something like this runs wrong… see belgian F-16 that shot their gun on the ground…

The aircraft would have to be Master Arm hot in addition to the GND JETT enabled for an unintentional launch with WOW.....an unlikely scenario, one would hope.

Return to F-16 Armament & Stores