T-X Thread

Military aircraft - Post cold war aircraft, including for example B-2, Gripen, F-18E/F Super Hornet, Rafale, and Typhoon.
  • Author

mixelflick

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

• Warnings: 2

Unread post05 Jul 2019, 14:31

Scorpion1alpha wrote:
weasel1962 wrote:Suspect the Boeing cross-sell team is in market overdrive. USAF is starting to look at what the T-X can do beyond training.

https://www.defensenews.com/digital-sho ... -aircraft/

I don’t doubt that Boeing is pushing for the T-X to fill the lower density light attack jet and the aggressor role (in particular). For the AF, it was always in the cards. Just nobody mentioning it out loud.

Although any of the competing T-X designs could / would have fill these roles with little to no problem, I feel the Boeing / Saab design is the best out of the submitted designs to fulfill these additional roles (three particular design features), if the decision will be made, which there seems to be little doubt it will be.

I feel if Boeing and Saab keeps their design KISS, advanced where it needs to be and simple where it can be (to reduce complexity, cost and weight), it will be successful in these additional roles.

Makes a lot of sense in both roles, especially given the "do more with less" reality. If memory serves, it has a sprightly thrust to weight ratio, and while not perfect in either role having 350 on hand would be an important force multiplier. Particularly in the red air role, WVR. Maybe even BVR if its sensors and small RCS are anything to write home about. Cost per flight hour is the biggie, they're going to be using this for a lot more than training aircrews..
Previous

Return to Modern Military Aircraft