Iran reveals new Qaher 313 fighter (prototype?)

New and old developments in aviation technology.
  • Author

linkomart

Unread post02 Feb 2013, 20:04

From Flightglobal:

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articl ... er-381806/

Iran revealed on 2 February what it claims is a new stealth fighter called the Qaher 313.

"The advanced aircraft with an advanced appearance has a very small radar cross section (RCS) and is capable of operating and flying in low-altitude," Iranian defence minister Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi tells the official FARS state news agency.

A youtube clip with some CAD views:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcwC2v_MPT0

Another youtube clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcfSf3QQh-E

My 5 cent:
Looks like a prototype, and so it should bee. The aerodynamics don't look right to me, it doesn't look like the high alpha caracteristics are that good, the air intakes seems to feed the Engine with some turbulent air, hopefully the Engine is tolerant to that.
The plane looks to be very fat, not good for performance.
the shape is not perfect from an RCS Point of view, but maybe a good first try.

regards

LinkF16SimDude

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post02 Feb 2013, 20:31

Engine size looks comPLETEly inadequate for the jet's size. No instrument panel shroud. Rudimentary EFIS instruments. The wing configuration looks like somethin' right outta "Firefox". :? And either that seat is 2 sizes too small or they've got some HUGE test pilots. :lol:

Nice mock-up tho. I'll give 'em that. :roll:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Qaher-3 ... 07#imgrc=_
Last edited by LinkF16SimDude on 02 Feb 2013, 20:42, edited 2 times in total.

count_to_10

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post02 Feb 2013, 20:35

The engine is tiny, and you can see the weld lines on the facet edges.
Einstein got it backward: one cannot prevent a war without preparing for it.

neurotech

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post02 Feb 2013, 21:11

They mention J85 derived single-engine? Really... the J85 is a turbojet engine. They could "find" old biz-jet engines and do better performance wise.
Isn't the ITEC F125 (in mainly Taiwanese service) a Garrett TFE731 with afterburner and FADEC changes.

If a single-engine J85 aircraft is what they want, why don't they just get a Canadian CT-114 Tutor painted black. The Tutor is a great for trainer, but for combat use, the A-37 is a major improvement.

linkomart

Unread post02 Feb 2013, 21:35

LinkF16SimDude wrote:Engine size looks comPLETEly inadequate for the jet's size. No instrument panel shroud. Rudimentary EFIS instruments. The wing configuration looks like somethin' right outta "Firefox". :? And either that seat is 2 sizes too small or they've got some HUGE test pilots. :lol:

Nice mock-up tho. I'll give 'em that. :roll:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Qaher-3 ... 07#imgrc=_

In the first youtube video there's something flying, looks like the thing.... Could be a scale model, but just as well it could be that it is actually a flying prototype. Can't say eiter way.

regards

LinkF16SimDude

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post02 Feb 2013, 23:33

The aerial footage looked like an RC model with the "fly-by" noise conveniently added in. It's not too difficult to do. And the speed and the way it maneuvered just didn't look right for a full up flying version either. The thing just looks too tiny and flimsy to be able to do all the stuff they claim it can do. I get the feeling the shots with AchmeDinnerJacket was just a subscale mockup to show what they have planned and the FSD version will come later. I mean...the "pilot" looked like he was gonna spill outta the thing! :lol: Maybe I'm wrong? But I doubt it. :wink:

linkomart

Unread post03 Feb 2013, 10:19

linkomart

Unread post03 Feb 2013, 15:12

A few things noted:
The more you look at it, the more it looks like a mockup.
The aerial footage does look like a scale model.
The FLUENT CFD screen shows the date october 2011....
CATIA screenshot shows a load of two "bombs" and two "missiles" (considering size it can't be phoenix/2000lbs.. :)
Landing gear rotates at folding, seems unneccesary considering the space provided...
Not to be rude, bu it looks like a student job to me.

edited some spelling....

KamenRiderBlade

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post03 Feb 2013, 18:35

LoL

Old GI Joe toy.

They got that right.

linkomart

Unread post03 Feb 2013, 20:25

Toy, yes. There is nothing that suggests it is flying. Ok, I admit the video fooled me the first time I looked at it, but the more I see....

as for instance this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7Aynt78r00

And the showed plane must be only a mockup:
No canopy seal.
Structure inside cockpit looks like fibreglass slossh over tubing.
Doors looks too flimsy for aero loads.
Exhaust painted with same color as the rest of the aircraft, how does that stand up to the heat...?

Bet you my 5 cent it is a Student job.

count_to_10

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post03 Feb 2013, 20:26

Notably, an amateur aircraft builder could design and build an aircraft that looks like a plausible stealth fighter. The general shaping principles are easily accessible, so it shouldn't be a surprise if Iran can put together something with stealthy-looking lines. Like a lot of what Iran makes public, this is probably more about puffery than effect.

SpudmanWP

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post05 Feb 2013, 01:05

Here is a chart I found

"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

count_to_10

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post05 Feb 2013, 02:55

Um, is that stick just bolted to the floor?

delvo

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post05 Feb 2013, 03:20

That can't be the real cockpit, can it? Who has put a stick in the middle between the knees since 1980? And a panel of buttons/switches to the right where using them would mean dropping the right-handed stick?

Anyway, I get a kick out of the label on the sides near the front. They say its name is "Qaher 313", but what they put right on it there says "F-313" for all to see. The letter "F" not only doesn't appear in "Qaher", but also doesn't even exist in their whole language. Words like "Qaher" are transliterated into foreign alphabets like ours for foreigners to see. (There's also an issue with line direction being right-to-left instead of left-to-right, but I'm not sure how to apply that to numbers or letter-&-number designations like this.) So the label on the plane's skin is intended for foreign consumption. Now, what country could they have had in mind? I only know of one that names planes with a letter followed by a number. It's all about the USA with these people. They're obsessed!

linkomart

Unread post05 Feb 2013, 07:09

It sure looks just like an internal propaganda number, built to convince the ones that know little about fighters.

If they ever get the thing to takes to the air, it will not be able to do much more than stay afloat....

As for the mockup, it's very possible the stick is just bolted to the floor.

As for the stick in the center position, that is a thing up for debate. SWAF test pilots were strong in therir opinion that we should put the stick in the center position, even though F-16 with the sidestick were high fasion back then. They made a strong case and sure enough, it works great in fighters like F-18, Gripen and Eurofighter....
Just as sidestick works in F-16, F-22 and Rafale.

My 5 cent.
Next

Return to Technology