Elite 3K

Unread post13 Jul 2009, 23:49

Ok, a few more F4 Photos
Attachments
ole0.JPG
F4 in Vietnam 1971.JPG
F4 Phantom & Bear.JPG
Nellis 429th FS 1980.JPG
More than likely have "been there and done that at some point", it sure keeps you young if done correctly

TC

F-16.net Moderator

F-16.net Moderator

Unread post14 Jul 2009, 02:55

Meathook, I like the "Hero Shot" of you on the Rhino's boarding ladder.

How often did you get to fly when you were a Tow operator? Did you perform that job as well as Crew Chief duties, or were you specifically assigned to that job only during that time? How long were your sorties, on average?

I wish they had that job as a specific AFSC. Man, I'd jump at that in a New York minute!

Then again, so would a good majority of the rest of the enlisted force. And we can't be allowed to have that much fun in a job. It would p*$$ off the PowerPoint Warriors too much. :roll:
"He counted on America to be passive...He counted wrong." -- President Ronald Reagan

Meathook

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post14 Jul 2009, 03:23

Thanks TC, I flew three times a week, twice a day when I was scheduled. I loved it, it was a dream come true for me as it was for the other six guys at Edwards. On the days I was not flying I would work building the darts and loading the tow reels, on occassion, I would have to pre-flight my aircraft but I never had to Post flight it during those sorties.

It sure was different knowing once I was done pre-flighting, I was starpping my butt into the seat, it gave me much more eye for detail (least I thought it did) and I think it actually made me a better mechanic overall. I know I gained more respect for the folks that flew daily, enlisted and officer, I think I carried that with me the rest of my career.

Funniest things happened too, sometimes I flew in the spares and the not all the guys knew I was enlisted, not all took the time to read my name tag but I would get saluted often (to be honest, I kind of liked it and always returned the salute explaining I was enlisted). One guy told me, he knew I was enlisted and just wanted to salute the fact I got to do something he had always wanted but to that date, had never had the chance to do and that was fly in his aircraft. I think that made me feel more proud than I ever could and I always knew I was living the dream of every crew chief and would never do anything to screw it up or be "big headed" about it.

I tried being humble but have to admit, sometimes, I just had this sh*t eating grin (smile) on my face, I could not help it - I loved what I was doing and knew it was very lucky, sometimes, when I look back, it all seems to have gone by fast. I was just a Buck Sgt too, I mean, I know it was rare but damn!

No wonder I loved the USAF, I had so many wonderful things happen to me collectively (more good than bad)....I am still honored to have been part of it (USAF).

Thanks buddy - now I listen to me son and his stories with amazement
More than likely have "been there and done that at some point", it sure keeps you young if done correctly

TC

F-16.net Moderator

F-16.net Moderator

Unread post15 Jul 2009, 00:12

I know how you feel. It's definitely a different world, wearing a green bag for a living. But, kinda like you said, I've never forgotten how it was to wear BDUs every day.

I love my job, but again, if they currently had an AFSC opened to the E's to fly as a tow operator on something like a Mudhen or a D model Viper, I'd jump at that without hesitation. For as great as my job is, I do miss being around the fighter side of the house. Even though I wasn't a flyer, it was still a different world.

Then again, with no current AA mission, the non-vols to UAVs, and fighter squadrons shutting down, I'm sure it's not like how it was about 10 years ago.

Reminds me of that old saying: Your two best assignments in the AF are the one you're going to, and the one you just left...
"He counted on America to be passive...He counted wrong." -- President Ronald Reagan

Meathook

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post15 Jul 2009, 00:45

I hear ya, funny thing about those assignments (in the old days), if they were good, you wanted them to last, if they were bad, you knew you would outlive the SOB (making trouble for everyone) or you would know you would PCS soon and start fresh.

I still find it hard to believe I retired in Feb 1996, man...time does fly

TC

F-16.net Moderator

F-16.net Moderator

Unread post16 Jul 2009, 22:33

Does anyone have any news on the QRF-4Cs? If the AF hasn't begun to use them, does anyone know when they will start? I know the Weasel fleet has already been shot through. They should be nearly done with the E's by now. The RFs are next, and will be the last Rhinos used before switching to Vipers.

rgeary15

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post17 Apr 2011, 13:15

I worked F-4s in the Philippines at Clark AB, what a good time that was, off duty that is......

darkvarkguy

Unread post18 Apr 2011, 14:56

Spooky wrote:A friend of mine got a good shot of two of those heritage birds in formation when we were at PhanCon 04 hosted at Holloman AFB.
http://www.geocities.com/phantomhanger/ ... entOne.jpg
They are to be used at airshows when not flying live operator test flights over White Sands.

More of my PhanCon pictures are at http://www.geocities.com/phantomhanger

We got to see 8 F-4Fs takeoff in pairs then they all joined up. What a lot of noise!

Justin

Saw this fly yesterday at an Airshow and it stole the show IMO. Just pure BADASS.
FB-111A Pease AFB 82-87
A-10A Suwon AB ROK 87-88
FB-111A/F-111G Pease AFB 88-90

outlaw162

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post19 Apr 2011, 00:12

They came thru here today...on the way home I assume.

"Just pure BADASS."

:D

OL

rgeary15

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post14 Dec 2012, 13:34

I crewed acft 71-083 in the Philippines '84-87. Fun times in PI....

southernphantom

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post15 Dec 2012, 04:04

I was born fifty years too late, otherwise I would have flown something like this for a living...
...so I settled for writing a novel featuring resurrected F-4s, militiamen, and numerous USAF/ANG units putting an end to an insane President's attempt to crush much of the South as retaliation for its resistance to his policy.

There is much shooting-down of Fulcrums and Fishbeds.
Previous

Return to Drones