Wondering what it takes

Operating an F-16 on the ground or in the air - from the engine start sequence, over replacing a wing, to aerial refueling procedures
  • Author

leilamorgan

Unread post23 Nov 2012, 19:59

Hi my name is Leila and im a junior in high school. I was wondering what it takes to become a fighter pilot and being a girl alot of people tell me i wont make it and i want to prove them wrong. Ive always wanted to be a fighter pilot and yes I know that im going to have to bomb bunkers and try to shoot other planes down. I know that someone is trying to kill me and im trying to kill them but that doesnt scare me away, i want to do this. Im going to enlist in the Air Force after i graduate and i was wondering whats next and what is the best way to become a pilot. Also what degrees should I get?? Oh and i wanted to know whats it like flying a fighter jet??

neurotech

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post23 Nov 2012, 23:01

leilamorgan wrote:Hi my name is Leila and im a junior in high school. I was wondering what it takes to become a fighter pilot and being a girl alot of people tell me i wont make it and i want to prove them wrong. Ive always wanted to be a fighter pilot and yes I know that im going to have to bomb bunkers and try to shoot other planes down. I know that someone is trying to kill me and im trying to kill them but that doesnt scare me away, i want to do this. Im going to enlist in the Air Force after i graduate and i was wondering whats next and what is the best way to become a pilot. Also what degrees should I get?? Oh and i wanted to know whats it like flying a fighter jet??

Google LtCol. Nicole Malachowski. She was a Civil Air Patrol Cadet (good idea to join), and later on one of two female Thunderbird Pilots.

Might want to contact Seymour Johnson AFB & 4th FW Public Affairs as they are home to at least two very experienced, senior female strike fighter(F-15E) pilots, and several senior female WSOs as well. Capt. Sara "Clutch" Joyner (USN) aka Deputy CAG(Commander Air Group) is another senior female combat pilot on the Navy side.

Hint: If you're an above average pilot, being a female pilot is not nearly as much of an issue. I've known a few personally and that is their basically their advice.

razamanaz

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post24 Nov 2012, 04:49

leilamorgan wrote: Oh and i wanted to know whats it like flying a fighter jet??

Two in-cockpit videos of F-16 and F-18:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1X8SE-FDjk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L0Cfui0oYY
USAF retired (1980-2001) A-10, B-52G/H, F-4C/D/E/G, F-15C/D/E, F-16C/D, SR-71, T-37B, T-38A, U-2R

f-22lm

Unread post24 Nov 2012, 04:53

Join the Civil Air Patrol Program, it would help you get your licenses early, you would get to go on and fly the Cessna 182! Its a pretty good start. :D btw female f-22 pilot.

Last edited by f-22lm on 24 Nov 2012, 05:50, edited 1 time in total.

razamanaz

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post24 Nov 2012, 05:27

leilamorgan wrote:Hi my name is Leila and im a junior in high school. I was wondering what it takes to become a fighter pilot and being a girl alot of people tell me i wont make it and i want to prove them wrong.

You can be anything you want to be as long as you apply yourself. Anyone who thinks you can't be a fighter pilot just because you're a female needs to view this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3toaBvrKil0

Don't just dream your dream... LIVE your dream! You go girl!
USAF retired (1980-2001) A-10, B-52G/H, F-4C/D/E/G, F-15C/D/E, F-16C/D, SR-71, T-37B, T-38A, U-2R

neurotech

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post24 Nov 2012, 19:18

razamanaz wrote:
leilamorgan wrote:Hi my name is Leila and im a junior in high school. I was wondering what it takes to become a fighter pilot and being a girl alot of people tell me i wont make it and i want to prove them wrong.

You can be anything you want to be as long as you apply yourself. Anyone who thinks you can't be a fighter pilot just because you're a female needs to view this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3toaBvrKil0

Don't just dream your dream... LIVE your dream! You go girl!

Colonel Flynn Leavitt is one of the pilots I was referring to earlier.

The Top Gun movie didn't really do female pilots any favors - they had female A-4 pilots/instructors in the 80s, a few were qualified as ACM instructors as well. Not "Top Gun" instructors, but flying ACM training profiles. Because Navy regs forbid fraternization, it would not have fit the movie story line for Maverick to date a female A-4 pilot or intelligence officer who flew in the back seat.

It's also worth pointing out that Martha Raddatz flew on a CAS mission in Afghanistan also in a F-15E. I don't believe that particular F-15E actually fired at targets, but it was technically a combat mission.

ccd

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post04 Dec 2012, 16:24

You may read what they say real military pilots about this kind of questions :

Click Here

Click here 2 (You may write in english and they will answer, they fly F-18 in Europe)

In any case it is just a matter of what you want, if your body is in good health and your school scores.

If you don't reach the military licence move on in the civil course : click here

neurotech

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post05 Dec 2012, 07:09

ccd wrote:You may read what they say real military pilots about this kind of questions :

Click Here

Click here 2 (You may write in english and they will answer, they fly F-18 in Europe)

In any case it is just a matter of what you want, if your body is in good health and your school scores.

If you don't reach the military licence move on in the civil course : click here

The first link contains one big inaccuracy. Some types of vision correction surgery are permitted or waiverable, Ask a recruiter for the service your interested in if this is an issue.

The second link is inaccurate and old information. They know what caused the so called "Raptor Cough", it was a faulty BRAG valve on the pilots vest. This has been fixed.

LinkF16SimDude

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post06 Dec 2012, 07:35

Paging the Janitors: This should prolly be moved to Careers & Assignments. :2c:

Return to F-16 Procedures