Raptor Down at Tyndall

Anything goes, as long as it is about the Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

neurotech

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1842
  • Joined: 09 May 2012, 21:34

Unread post01 Dec 2012, 06:53

huggy wrote:
count_to_10 wrote:What does the one have to do with the other?

Yeah, neurotech,... you lost me on your post.

I was referring to the comment from sketch22.
sketch22 wrote:I'd bet that the F-22 needs to see combat and produce some highly effective results before ever being written in a positive light in the history books. Hardly anyone outside the military (including office holders) cares about Red Flag simulated kill ratios and training performance.

I disagree that "office holders" don't care about Red Flag simulated kill ratios, because when a non-stealth F-16 gets shot down, yeah, the President and the Pentagon take notice.
Offline

huggy

Senior member

Senior member

  • Posts: 457
  • Joined: 27 Jan 2004, 07:39

Unread post03 Dec 2012, 08:04

neurotech wrote:I disagree that "office holders" don't care about Red Flag simulated kill ratios, because when a non-stealth F-16 gets shot down, yeah, the President and the Pentagon take notice.

What are you talking about?
And I still have no idea what your point is on your post about O'Grady meeting the President.
Offline

neurotech

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1842
  • Joined: 09 May 2012, 21:34

Unread post03 Dec 2012, 19:57

huggy wrote:
neurotech wrote:I disagree that "office holders" don't care about Red Flag simulated kill ratios, because when a non-stealth F-16 gets shot down, yeah, the President and the Pentagon take notice.

What are you talking about?
And I still have no idea what your point is on your post about O'Grady meeting the President.

There is always the perception that that the civilian leadership doesn't understand the military. Sometimes its more deserved than other times. The F-22 is quite an expensive aircraft, substantially due to political limit on production, but is unquestionably a 5th gen Air Superiority fighter, with dramatically improved survivability. The F-35 will also be a great 5th gen aircraft, despite its high price tag.

The 1995 F-16 shootdown of Capt. O'Grady wouldn't have happened if he'd been flying a F-35 with EODAS. Simple as that, The "selective" use of air defense radar, resulted in the F-16 having no RWR indication on launch. I don't think there has been many incident since then of a US/NATO jet being shot down at high altitude by a SAM. The F-117 pilot that went down was recovered relatively quickly.

Because of the length of time (6 days) O'Grady was down in hostile territory, that event was way more "noticeable" for civilian leaders, than say the F-15 that crashed in a flat spin (not shot down!) in Libya where they rescued the crew fairly quickly as well, and doesn't receive the same attention.

Congress might grumble at the cost of a F-35, but the bottom line is that if US aviators get shot down in older jets, the President and Congress will take notice.
Offline

ruderamronbo

Active Member

Active Member

  • Posts: 118
  • Joined: 07 Jan 2005, 23:36
  • Location: Wright Patterson

Unread post09 Aug 2013, 23:16

Air Force: Faulty wire brought down F-22

http://www.airforcetimes.com/article/20 ... -down-F-22

A charged electrical wire brought down an F-22 last November at Tyndall Air Force Base, Fla., destroying the stealth fighter while the pilot ejected safely, according to an Air Force investigation into the crash.
Offline
User avatar

KamenRiderBlade

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 556
  • Joined: 24 Nov 2012, 02:20
  • Location: USA

Unread post10 Aug 2013, 03:06

wow, I guess there are going to be alot more electrical wire checks from now on
Offline

neurotech

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1842
  • Joined: 09 May 2012, 21:34

Unread post10 Aug 2013, 04:01

They've already inspected the F-22 fleet for safety checks.
kamenriderblade wrote:wow, I guess there are going to be alot more electrical wire checks from now on
More likely they'll change how the electrical wires are tied to the airframe, so a loose wire doesn't do further damage.
Offline

exfltsafety

Senior member

Senior member

  • Posts: 323
  • Joined: 05 Aug 2009, 19:11

Unread post10 Aug 2013, 14:58

History repeats itself. Wire harness chafing on an hydraulic line caused an inflight fire and subsequent loss of control of an F-16 in 1991. The pilot ejected successfully.
Offline

Asif

F-16.net Editor

F-16.net Editor

  • Posts: 2865
  • Joined: 23 Aug 2003, 12:02

Unread post16 Aug 2013, 15:15

Asif Shamim
F-16.net Editorial staff & Patch Gallery Administration
Offline

neurotech

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1842
  • Joined: 09 May 2012, 21:34

Unread post16 Aug 2013, 17:28

Previous

Return to General F-22A Raptor forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests