F-22s in an anti-ship role

Anything goes, as long as it is about the Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor
  • Author
  • Message
Offline
User avatar

linkomart

Active Member

Active Member

  • Posts: 219
  • Joined: 31 May 2010, 07:30
  • Location: Sweden

Unread post08 Nov 2012, 14:05

cerberus wrote:At the moment yes but the bay is definitely compatible with the likes of the JSOW, HARM, Harpoon and 2k JDAM, they just haven't been qualified yet. The 2k LGB and JASSM are too long though.


If you manage to squeeze a HARM in to a weapon bay of an F-22 I'll be impressed. The span of those fins are huuuuuuuuge.... There's a reason the AMRAAM C have clipped fins.
Offline

1st503rdsgt

Banned

  • Posts: 1547
  • Joined: 23 Jan 2011, 01:23

Unread post09 Nov 2012, 00:08

cerberus wrote:Evidence? There appears to be another 0.5m when the AMRAAMs (3.72m) are fitted.

Clearances are what they are kid. The JSOW, HARM, Harpoon and 2k JDAM footprints won't fit and that's the end of it (HARM is especially laughable). Lay off the video-games/Transformer movies and do some actual research.
The sky is blue because God loves the Infantry.
Offline

cerberus

Banned

  • Posts: 89
  • Joined: 07 Nov 2012, 21:38
  • Location: York

Unread post09 Nov 2012, 12:18

Damn, I guess the bay is smaller than I thought. I was working on the length alone. Looks like the F-35 will be even more important.
Offline

cerberus

Banned

  • Posts: 89
  • Joined: 07 Nov 2012, 21:38
  • Location: York

Unread post13 Nov 2012, 21:51

Something just caught my eye and I thought about the F-22's load. MBDA does a diamond back kit for existing bombs like the 1k JDAM.

http://www.mbdainc.com/downloads/diamondback-data.pdf

Would a GBU-32 still fit with this fitted.

The unique wing assembly, provides stand-off and cross-track maneuverability for a
signi?cantly expanded footprint for air-launched stores. The larger footprint not only
provides additional survivability for the delivery aircraft, but also allows delivery to
multiple points from a single release point. Diamond Back’s compressed carriage design
meets the demanding space requirements for rotary launchers in the B-1 and B-2
bombers as well as for internal carriage on the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter and F-22 Raptor
Offline

Scorpion1alpha

F-16.net Moderator

F-16.net Moderator

  • Posts: 1422
  • Joined: 21 Oct 2005, 00:47

Unread post14 Nov 2012, 16:50

This topic was cleaned up.

"Cerberus" and "1st503rdsgt", both of you need to knock off the attitudes because you're not impressing anybody.
I'm watching...
Offline

SpudmanWP

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

  • Posts: 4633
  • Joined: 12 Oct 2006, 19:18
  • Location: California

Unread post14 Nov 2012, 17:11

On the issue of a Diamondback or JDAM-ER kit for the GBU-32 in an F-22: I don't think so. There does not seem to be enough room considering that the support ribs on the inside of the door take up bay room.

Image
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."
Offline

cerberus

Banned

  • Posts: 89
  • Joined: 07 Nov 2012, 21:38
  • Location: York

Unread post14 Nov 2012, 19:01

SpudmanWP wrote:On the issue of a Diamondback or JDAM-ER kit for the GBU-32 in an F-22: I don't think so. There does not seem to be enough room considering that the support ribs on the inside of the door take up bay room.

Shame. I guess it might still be an option for a smaller GBU-38 though. I also wondered if you could fit the ER kit to an AASM HAMMER 250(kg) rocket-assisted bomb, that already has a range of 55km.
Offline

count_to_10

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1931
  • Joined: 10 Mar 2012, 15:38

Unread post15 Nov 2012, 00:18

linkomart wrote:
cerberus wrote:At the moment yes but the bay is definitely compatible with the likes of the JSOW, HARM, Harpoon and 2k JDAM, they just haven't been qualified yet. The 2k LGB and JASSM are too long though.


If you manage to squeeze a HARM in to a weapon bay of an F-22 I'll be impressed. The span of those fins are huuuuuuuuge.... There's a reason the AMRAAM C have clipped fins.

"Fins"?
I think they call them "wings" on the HARM.
Einstein got it backward: one cannot prevent a war without preparing for it.
Offline

snypa777

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1527
  • Joined: 26 Jul 2005, 02:00

Unread post24 Jan 2013, 04:51

Talking about this supposed Dutch naval episode, I thought F-22s played with allied forces wearing those radar signature enhancing things, cant remember their name. Lens or prism ? To preserve the F-22s RCS. Even from friendlies because friendlies are as inquisitive as the opposition!
If this was the case someone forgot to tell that Dutch air ops guy:)
Lastly, I think the crew of a Virginia class SSN would be more efficient at breaking the keel of a frigate than an F-22 ....
"I may not agree with what you say....but I will defend to the death your right to say it".
Offline

geogen

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2919
  • Joined: 11 Mar 2008, 15:28
  • Location: 45 km offshore, New England

Unread post24 Jan 2013, 14:11

All I'll add to this is that you'd definitely not want to tangle with a pair of networked Dutch Frigates updated with their enhanced D band and L band radars, IRST and SM-2 IIIA (IIIB in future?) in your 4-ship of F-22 armed with mere GBU loadout in an hypothetical future exercise. You'd want something probably more along the lines of an 8-ship package with an anti-ship JASSM derivative under the wings + 4 MALD/J + perhaps 4 next-gen SPEAR for say, half the flight... plus maybe an anti-radar homing air-launched SM-6 (RIM-174) derivative under the wings for the other half.

Basically, you wouldn't want to be operating within say, 50-60km (at least) of said Dutch Frigate group. Respects.
The Super-Viper has not yet begun to concede.
Offline
User avatar

linkomart

Active Member

Active Member

  • Posts: 219
  • Joined: 31 May 2010, 07:30
  • Location: Sweden

Unread post24 Jan 2013, 14:36

count_to_10 wrote:
linkomart wrote:
cerberus wrote:At the moment yes but the bay is definitely compatible with the likes of the JSOW, HARM, Harpoon and 2k JDAM, they just haven't been qualified yet. The 2k LGB and JASSM are too long though.


If you manage to squeeze a HARM in to a weapon bay of an F-22 I'll be impressed. The span of those fins are huuuuuuuuge.... There's a reason the AMRAAM C have clipped fins.

"Fins"?
I think they call them "wings" on the HARM.


Sorry for my bad english. I'll call them Wings from now on.

snypa777:
I agree, subs are better to hunt down surface ships than airplanes.... If there is time to manouver. If you need to take a navy out fast airplanes and/or cruise missiles is the best choise IMHO. But as usual, you have to use the tools that are in your toolbox....
My 5 cent
Offline

VprWzl

Senior member

Senior member

  • Posts: 316
  • Joined: 15 Sep 2003, 03:01

Unread post24 Jan 2013, 19:15

Just an educated guess, but the scenario was probably more like this. (If it actually happened)

Raptors used all their A/A missiles and killed most of the Hornets then proceeded to gun a couple more to get to the total # of dead Hornets. (I've seen them do something like this.)

The Dutch frigate wanted to 'see' the Raptors (and the Raptors were already out of weapons) so they went and 'strafed' the Dutch boat at which point the boat could simulate its air defense at point blank range. While strafing, the LCF 'shot' them. No big deal - it would be expected. Strafe attacks aren't exactly stealthy . . .

I wouldn't buy anything extra into it - the A/A portion was probably semi-realistic and the boat strafe was just a training oppportunity for both parties. (I mean how many times can you train to strafing boats . . .? Sounds like good fun to me.)

Just my two cents . . . don't over analyze things. We train with friendly forces all the time and it's not good form to not give useful training to both sides.
Check Six!
Offline

count_to_10

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1931
  • Joined: 10 Mar 2012, 15:38

Unread post25 Jan 2013, 00:00

linkomart wrote:
count_to_10 wrote:
linkomart wrote:
cerberus wrote:At the moment yes but the bay is definitely compatible with the likes of the JSOW, HARM, Harpoon and 2k JDAM, they just haven't been qualified yet. The 2k LGB and JASSM are too long though.


If you manage to squeeze a HARM in to a weapon bay of an F-22 I'll be impressed. The span of those fins are huuuuuuuuge.... There's a reason the AMRAAM C have clipped fins.

"Fins"?
I think they call them "wings" on the HARM.


Sorry for my bad english. I'll call them Wings from now on.

My 5 cent

Actually, I kind of meant that as a joke -- those things, weather fins or wings, are ridiculously huge for a missile.
Einstein got it backward: one cannot prevent a war without preparing for it.
Offline

hobo

Senior member

Senior member

  • Posts: 321
  • Joined: 31 Dec 2010, 14:39

Unread post25 Jan 2013, 03:48

Sorry for my bad english. I'll call them Wings from now on.


Actually, if you want to get technical... on a missile wings are fixed, and fins are control surfaces.(they move) In the case of an AMRAAM there are four wings and four fins. (the fins are in the back)
Offline

sprstdlyscottsmn

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1503
  • Joined: 10 Mar 2006, 01:24
  • Location: Phoenix, Az

Unread post25 Jan 2013, 05:02

the joke being that the span on a HARM is impressive...
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-Project Engineer
PreviousNext

Return to General F-22A Raptor forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests