F-22 passive sensors?

Anything goes, as long as it is about the Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor
  • Author

popcorn

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post29 Oct 2012, 11:02

f22spec wrote:
popcorn wrote:Remember several years back when an engaged couple got lost in the desert out west and a F-22 was credited with locating them (at night IIRC) and radioing their position to a rescue helo?

It was never explained how the Raptor located them.. no EOTS, EODAS and only an IR MWD which should not have been a factor (unless the couple was firing missiles at the Raptor :D )..

So how did the Raptor find them out in the desert? My best guess is they had something emiting RF (like a cell phone) which was picked up by the AN/ALR-94.. but if they had a phone, then they should have simply called 911 so maybe they just couldn't get a signal.

I remember joking at the time that the helo crrew got invited to the wedding but the

F-22 driver wasn't. :D

Not to take any wind out of your sails, but it if it was at night, then the pilot most likely spotted them with NVG's. The F-22 can cover a lot of ground in a short amount of time, and it wouldn't be hard to spot people in the desert at night with NVG's.

It occurred to me but I just assumed that NVGs wouldn't be that sensitive.. but maybe that's how it played out..,just hoping on,the off,chance someone actually knew the whole,story.

SpudmanWP

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post29 Oct 2012, 16:30

Depends on the NVG.

Were they IR or LA and did the couple have a light of some sort?
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

popcorn

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post30 Oct 2012, 00:23

SpudmanWP wrote:Depends on the NVG.

Were they IR or LA and did the couple have a light of some sort?

No idea, the reports were sketchy on details perhaps intentionally so in my mind to conceal some classified capability of the jet.. I just thought it improbable that a F-22 would have found them given the relatively few Raptors likely flying at the time vs. more numerous F-15s, F-16s, etc. Maybe it was just the way the dice rolled anda Raptor just stumbled upon them in the dark.. maybe.

Prinz_Eugn

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post30 Oct 2012, 00:30

http://blog.thenewstribune.com/adventur ... -monument/ says "The search effort was greatly aided by the assistance of the military aircraft, which utilized night vision and infrared equipment to safely locate the hikers after nightfall."

Plus, Google "White Sands." Not exactly the most obscuring terrain.
"A visitor from Mars could easily pick out the civilized nations. They have the best implements of war."

popcorn

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post30 Oct 2012, 00:51

Prinz_Eugn wrote:http://blog.thenewstribune.com/adventure/2012/01/12/military-aircraft-help-find-lost-hikers-at-white-sands-national-monument/ says "The search effort was greatly aided by the assistance of the military aircraft, which utilized night vision and infrared equipment to safely locate the hikers after nightfall."

Funny, must be a senior moment but I thought the incident happened years back and not 10 months ago.. :D thanks for the article.

Anyway, the article says they called for help using a cell phone. Wouldn't the AN/ALR-94 have the,sensitivity to detect it's signal?

awsome

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post30 Oct 2012, 00:51

Maybe the F-22 is using hearbeat sensor from mw2. :lol:

Prinz_Eugn

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post30 Oct 2012, 02:17

popcorn wrote:
Prinz_Eugn wrote:http://blog.thenewstribune.com/adventure/2012/01/12/military-aircraft-help-find-lost-hikers-at-white-sands-national-monument/ says "The search effort was greatly aided by the assistance of the military aircraft, which utilized night vision and infrared equipment to safely locate the hikers after nightfall."

Funny, must be a senior moment but I thought the incident happened years back and not 10 months ago.. :D thanks for the article.

Anyway, the article says they called for help using a cell phone. Wouldn't the AN/ALR-94 have the,sensitivity to detect it's signal?

Oh, probably, but they called and then the F-22 was diverted. I imagine they filter out cell traffic somehow, otherwise there'd by nonstop alerts.
"A visitor from Mars could easily pick out the civilized nations. They have the best implements of war."
Previous

Return to General F-22A Raptor forum