Who gets selected to fly the F-22?

Anything goes, as long as it is about the Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor
  • Author

icemaverick

Unread post26 Oct 2012, 23:41

Just out of curiosity, what are they looking for when they assign pilots to the F-22 gig? I'm guessing only very experienced pilots get selected. I'd assume most of the guys flying F-22s came from F-15Cs but I'm sure there are a few former F-15E and F-16 pilots too. Do you have to be a weapons school grad? Is there a minimum number of tours?

Just wondering....

outlaw162

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post27 Oct 2012, 15:37

A squadron with only experienced Majors and LtCol's wouldn't work.

You need 2Lt's to make the coffee and clean the snack bar. :D

count_to_10

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post28 Oct 2012, 00:49

Reminds me of this joke:
http://usmilitary.about.com/library/mil ... listed.htm
And then there's the Air Force. When the s*** hits the fan, the Airman receives a phone call at his off-base quarters. He gets up, showers,shaves, and puts on the fresh uniform he picked up from the BX cleaners the day before. He jumps in his car and cruises through the McDonalds drive-thru for an Egg McMuffin and Coca-Cola on his way into work. Once at work, he signs in on the duty roster. He proceeds to his F-15, spends 30 minutes pre-flighting it, and signs off the forms. Pretty soon the pilot, a young captain arrives, straps into the jet, and starts the engines. Our young Airman stands at attention, gives the aviator a sharp salute, and says, "Give 'em Hell, Captain!"

sirsapo

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post28 Oct 2012, 17:37

There have been quite a few Raptors dropped straight from pilot training in the last few classes, and word on the street is that there will be even more in the near future.

1st503rdsgt

Banned

Unread post28 Oct 2012, 17:58

sirsapo wrote:There have been quite a few Raptors dropped straight from pilot training in the last few classes, and word on the street is that there will be even more in the near future.

Apparently, the older guys have trouble staying awake in the things. :twisted:
The sky is blue because God loves the Infantry.

sketch22

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post28 Oct 2012, 18:43

icemaverick wrote:Just out of curiosity, what are they looking for when they assign pilots to the F-22 gig? I'm guessing only very experienced pilots get selected. I'd assume most of the guys flying F-22s came from F-15Cs but I'm sure there are a few former F-15E and F-16 pilots too. Do you have to be a weapons school grad? Is there a minimum number of tours?

Just wondering....

Right now it is a mix of both new UPT/IFF grads and experienced guys. To drop one out of T-38s requires you to have it as #1 on your dreamsheet and do VERY well during training. You don't have to be number one in your class but it definitely helps. Also, contrary to popular belief not everyone wants to fly F-22s. Most of the time if your class is lucky and gets 3-4 fighters only 1 guy will probably put them as their top choice.

Experienced guys go through the TX course and are usually upgraded to flight leads/instructors fairly quickly. They usually take applications from C model eagles but there are Viper and SE guys flying them as well. They are mostly O-3s and O-4s with around 800-1000 hrs in their previous jets.

Return to General F-22A Raptor forum