F/A-22 top speed

Anything goes, as long as it is about the Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor
  • Author

snypa777

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post11 Nov 2007, 05:35

I think this indicates that the `22 just got so close to the other guy unseen that he got his nose singed by the other guys exhaust! :D
"I may not agree with what you say....but I will defend to the death your right to say it".

Tinito_16

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post11 Nov 2007, 07:03

We must remember too, that stealth coatings and materials are fragile. Not as much as in the past, but it wouldn't be a stretch to say that even if the airframe can go past M 2.5 (which is highly probable), the coatings will just strip off. The plane can go that fast, without doubt. Is it worth it, ie. will the plane have enough stealth afterward? Maybe not. Which is why this wouldn't be used as a tactic, more like an emergency capability.
"Like the coldest winter chill, heaven beside you...hell within" Alice In Chains

rhoads56

Unread post13 Aug 2012, 15:19

TC wrote:Top speed IS classified, but it is faster than the Eagle, which had previously been faster than all other current U.S. fighters. It will leave an Eagle in the dust, and I'll leave it at that.

Beers and MiGs were made to be pounded!

Hi TC... I know your post here is something like 7 years old, but I'm curious. How do you know this?

rhoads56

Unread post13 Aug 2012, 15:31

rhoads56 wrote:
TC wrote:Top speed IS classified, but it is faster than the Eagle, which had previously been faster than all other current U.S. fighters. It will leave an Eagle in the dust, and I'll leave it at that.

Beers and MiGs were made to be pounded!

Hi TC... I know your post here is something like 7 years old, but I'm curious. How do you know this?

I just read somewhere back a ways that you worked for LM. OK, that's proof enough for me :D

popcorn

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post14 Aug 2012, 04:19

snypa777 wrote:I think this indicates that the `22 just got so close to the other guy unseen that he got his nose singed by the other guys exhaust! :D

There was a pic years back of F-22 with it's canopy all smeared over with material that had been stripped off it's pointy end presumably from exceeding the speed limit.
Previous

Return to General F-22A Raptor forum