SU-35... does it match up with F-22/F-35?

Military aircraft - Post cold war aircraft, including for example B-2, Gripen, F-18E/F Super Hornet, Rafale, and Typhoon.

SU-35 or F-22/F-35

Poll ended at 01 Dec 2008, 19:35

SU-35
1
7%
F-22/F-35
13
93%
 
Total votes : 14

  • Author
  • Message
Offline

wrightwing

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2110
  • Joined: 23 Oct 2008, 15:22

Unread post17 Jan 2012, 16:47

duplex wrote:
sprstdlyscottsmn wrote:and the F-35s AESA is more advanced than the F-22s...



But F-35 is still a paper plane , exists only in prototypes...I am not sure we will ever be able to see an operational F-35 !



Do you honestly believe that the arrestor hook, is the most difficult engineering challenge on the F-35? They still have till 2013, before sea trials(and till ~2016-2017 before the fleet starts getting aircraft to equip squadrons). You may also have forgotten that the vast number of F-35s will be A models, which don't use arrestor hooks(nor do the B models).
Offline

sergio-moscow

Banned

  • Posts: 27
  • Joined: 10 Sep 2013, 11:51

Unread post18 Jan 2012, 12:54

SpudmanWP wrote:sergio-moscow,

never take what Sprey says at face value.



name of the expert whom you think is more credible (not associated with Lockheed Martin)
Offline

delvo

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 570
  • Joined: 15 Aug 2011, 04:06

Unread post18 Jan 2012, 14:32

My sister who works as a Project Coordinator for a construction company in San Antonio is more credible than Sprey.
Offline

duplex

Senior member

Senior member

  • Posts: 352
  • Joined: 14 Apr 2005, 16:30

Unread post18 Jan 2012, 14:38

thebigfish wrote:. And how many SU35s are there?




In few years from now certainly more than F-35..



http://en.ria.ru/mlitary_news/20120117/170806054.html
Offline

sprstdlyscottsmn

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1674
  • Joined: 10 Mar 2006, 01:24
  • Location: Phoenix, Az

Unread post18 Jan 2012, 14:50

we will see about that
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-Project Engineer
Offline

duplex

Senior member

Senior member

  • Posts: 352
  • Joined: 14 Apr 2005, 16:30

Unread post18 Jan 2012, 14:52

wrightwing wrote:
duplex wrote:
sprstdlyscottsmn wrote:and the F-35s AESA is more advanced than the F-22s...



But F-35 is still a paper plane , exists only in prototypes...I am not sure we will ever be able to see an operational F-35 !



Do you honestly believe that the arrestor hook, is the most difficult engineering challenge on the F-35? They still have till 2013, before sea trials(and till ~2016-2017 before the fleet starts getting aircraft to equip squadrons). You may also have forgotten that the vast number of F-35s will be A models, which don't use arrestor hooks(nor do the B models).

Its not only the hook, at this stage nobody can predict what kind of additional technical problems the program will face in coming years .IMO and its personal,the entire project F-35 will be cancelled around the year 2016 latest .
Offline

wrightwing

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2110
  • Joined: 23 Oct 2008, 15:22

Unread post18 Jan 2012, 21:51

duplex wrote:
thebigfish wrote:. And how many SU35s are there?




In few years from now certainly more than F-35..



http://en.ria.ru/mlitary_news/20120117/170806054.html


There are already more F-35s under construction, than the number of Su-35s, that the RuAF plans to acquire.
Offline

wrightwing

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2110
  • Joined: 23 Oct 2008, 15:22

Unread post18 Jan 2012, 22:01

sergio-moscow wrote:
SpudmanWP wrote:sergio-moscow,

never take what Sprey says at face value.



name of the expert whom you think is more credible (not associated with Lockheed Martin)


One need only look at what Sprey advocates, to ascertain his credibility. He didn't like the F-14, F-15, what the F-16 became, etc....
Single purpose, uncomplicated day fighters simply are not the future of air power, if we hope to maintain air supremacy, and the ability to operate in non-permissive environments. Multi-role, all weather aircraft have already validated themselves, as have stealthy aircraft. Weapons and tactics have changed considerably since he was involved in anything, and he's been unwilling to accept that his ideas are no longer valid. As for his critiques of the handling of the F-35, it(the F-35) has already demonstrated that it's no F-105/A-7, in the agility/acceleration department. There have been a number of technical challenges to overcome, but that's to be expected with an aircraft with so many different advanced technologies. It's not a matter of if the issues will be solved, but when.
Offline

haavarla

Banned

  • Posts: 873
  • Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 19:36

Unread post19 Jan 2012, 08:28

Oh, and what about the little subject called cost over-run?
Better make that two issues to be solved then.

WW@
So there are 45 airframes of the F-35 on the floor right now?
Offline

sergio-moscow

Banned

  • Posts: 27
  • Joined: 10 Sep 2013, 11:51

Unread post19 Jan 2012, 10:55

delvo wrote:My sister who works as a Project Coordinator for a construction company in San Antonio is more credible than Sprey.


In Russia (USSR) was often the case that the project coordinator is engaged only in lobbying government and the financial aspect and there is little understanding of the essence of the project. "My sister coordinator" does not allow a precise definition - so that the name, title, etc?
Offline

haavarla

Banned

  • Posts: 873
  • Joined: 28 Jul 2009, 19:36

Unread post29 Feb 2012, 07:16

Apperantly the 4th serial Su-35S made first flight. It is unkown if it has been delivered to Lipetsk yet..
Offline

ultor

Active Member

Active Member

  • Posts: 151
  • Joined: 30 Jan 2010, 20:43

Unread post15 Mar 2012, 21:25

Why not? In APA world certainly so! :)
Offline

ben28696

Newbie

Newbie

  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: 06 Apr 2012, 09:55
  • Location: Springwood, Australia

Unread post06 Apr 2012, 10:23

hobojet wrote:Ya it would be tough to obtain true air superiority(like being invincible). Does russia have a fighter that can match the F-22/F-35.


pak fa
Offline

flighthawk128

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

  • Posts: 81
  • Joined: 24 Dec 2011, 23:25

Unread post02 May 2012, 17:25

I thought the SU-35 was the one Sukhoi made to counter the F-22 and F-35, provided they could get in close enough.
There are posts all over the place that say that SU-35 can outmaneuver any other plane, provided in ACM (Air Combat Maneuvering, or dogfighting) only.
Super Flanker doesn't have the electronic suite of Western counterparts, but Russian mathematicians are known to make good planes, so safe to assume that maneuverability is important and emphasized.
Super Flanker has no stealth cap, no supercruise (currently, though are creating type with supercruise), but has thrust vectoring, which an almost equal supermaneuverability through VIFFing (Vector In Forward Flight).
May be wrong.
Just tell me nicely. :)
Offline

wrightwing

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2110
  • Joined: 23 Oct 2008, 15:22

Unread post03 May 2012, 21:33

flighthawk128 wrote:I thought the SU-35 was the one Sukhoi made to counter the F-22 and F-35, provided they could get in close enough.


That would be the PAK FA, not the Su-35.
PreviousNext

Return to Modern Military Aircraft

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest