Japan F-35 Decision Genuinely Based Upon Capability

Program progress, politics, orders, and speculation
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

shingen

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 582
  • Joined: 30 Jan 2010, 03:27
  • Location: California

Unread post15 Jan 2012, 22:40

The # of missiles issue comes up for several reasons. One is that Mr. Sukhoi Rules, Just Look at These Pretty Pictures says it's a big deal because AMRAAM is easily jammed. This Greatest Armchair Military Analyst of All Time came to that conclusion because information about crosseye jamming has surfaced in open sources and the latest Sukhois have big wingtip pods. The T-10 series can carry lots of missiles and since the T-10 is sooooo much better than the F-35 and the T-10 carries more missiles than the F-35 than lots of missiles must be good. The Typhoon carries more missiles than the F-35 so the Typhoon Fanboys constantly play up # of missiles. Note that the Gold Standard of A2A, the F-15, carries 4 BVR missiles. I am under the understanding that fuel capacity is more an issue for the number of engagements that can be carried out than # of missiles. Once the USSR fell sheer numbers of enemy air isn't a big deal so I'm not sure where this focus on # of missiles comes from. The most interesting thing is that all it carries is AMRAAM. That would be a more interesting topic to discuss.
Offline

hcobb

Banned

  • Posts: 221
  • Joined: 27 Jul 2009, 15:31
  • Location: North California

Unread post15 Jan 2012, 22:41

So the F-35 ultimate stealth missile loadout is 6xAMRAAMs and 2xASRAAMs or just about exactly the same as the F-22.

The F-22 can give its missiles more of a running start however.
Offline

southernphantom

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 825
  • Joined: 06 Aug 2011, 17:18
  • Location: Somewhere in Dixie

Unread post15 Jan 2012, 22:49

hcobb wrote:So the F-35 ultimate stealth missile loadout is 6xAMRAAMs and 2xASRAAMs or just about exactly the same as the F-22.

The F-22 can give its missiles more of a running start however.


I don't believe that the ASRAAMs can be carried internally along with the AMRAAMs.

"Note that the Gold Standard of A2A, the F-15, carries 4 BVR missiles."

This is true in the older versions, however modernized USAF birds carry 8 AIM-120s.
Offline

shingen

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 582
  • Joined: 30 Jan 2010, 03:27
  • Location: California

Unread post15 Jan 2012, 22:49

No WVR missiles internally for F-35 unless something has changed.
Offline

SpudmanWP

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

  • Posts: 4753
  • Joined: 12 Oct 2006, 19:18
  • Location: California

Unread post15 Jan 2012, 23:04

Check out: F-15e.info

The most it carried was 6 AMRAAMs and 2 AIM-9s (and even then only rarely), never 8 BVRs.

On the WVR front, the 120D is especially designed to extend the 120's WVR/HOBS capability.
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."
Offline

hcobb

Banned

  • Posts: 221
  • Joined: 27 Jul 2009, 15:31
  • Location: North California

Unread post16 Jan 2012, 00:15

The keyword here is "ASRAAM", which stands for external stealthy missile.
Offline
User avatar

lamoey

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 773
  • Joined: 25 Apr 2004, 17:44
  • Location: 77006

Unread post16 Jan 2012, 00:33

hcobb wrote:The keyword here is "ASRAAM", which stands for external stealthy missile.


You ought to check your facts before stating any. Any stealth it may have is a pure coincident.: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIM-132_ASRAAM
Former Flight Control Technican - We keep'em flying
Offline

Thumper3181

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 626
  • Joined: 23 Jun 2006, 05:49

Unread post16 Jan 2012, 05:53

southernphantom wrote:
hcobb wrote:So the F-35 ultimate stealth missile loadout is 6xAMRAAMs and 2xASRAAMs or just about exactly the same as the F-22.

The F-22 can give its missiles more of a running start however.


I don't believe that the ASRAAMs can be carried internally along with the AMRAAMs.

"Note that the Gold Standard of A2A, the F-15, carries 4 BVR missiles."

This is true in the older versions, however modernized USAF birds carry 8 AIM-120s.


The Super Hornet can carry 14 AIM-120s, but just like the F-15 you will rarely if ever see more than 4 carries due to limitations on fuel, operational experience and drag. But, if you like the F-35 could easily carry 4 AIM-120s internally and another four externally, yet still have greater tactical performance than an F-15 as it is carrying all of it's fuel internally.
Offline

SpudmanWP

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

  • Posts: 4753
  • Joined: 12 Oct 2006, 19:18
  • Location: California

Unread post16 Jan 2012, 06:16

No, the F-18E can carry 12 AMRAAMs and 2 AIM-9s (as the wingtip stations cannot carry an AMRAAM).
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."
Offline

wrightwing

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2110
  • Joined: 23 Oct 2008, 15:22

Unread post16 Jan 2012, 17:36

SpudmanWP wrote:Check out: F-15e.info

The most it carried was 6 AMRAAMs and 2 AIM-9s (and even then only rarely), never 8 BVRs.

On the WVR front, the 120D is especially designed to extend the 120's WVR/HOBS capability.

The F-15 is capable of carrrying 8 AMRAAMS, but the 6+2, is the typical configuration, giving a good mix of BVR/WVR capability.
Offline

wrightwing

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2110
  • Joined: 23 Oct 2008, 15:22

Unread post16 Jan 2012, 17:38

SpudmanWP wrote:No, the F-18E can carry 12 AMRAAMs and 2 AIM-9s (as the wingtip stations cannot carry an AMRAAM).
IIRC, the Super Hornet can carry 6 under each wing, plus 2 on the fuselage, plus 2 9X on the wing tips.
Offline

SpudmanWP

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

  • Posts: 4753
  • Joined: 12 Oct 2006, 19:18
  • Location: California

Unread post16 Jan 2012, 19:17

The outer pylon can only hold a single AMRAAM, not the double AAM launcher.

There is not enough clearance on the outer pylon for another double launcher.

Image

Image
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."
Offline

southernphantom

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 825
  • Joined: 06 Aug 2011, 17:18
  • Location: Somewhere in Dixie

Unread post16 Jan 2012, 19:54

That's actually an AIM-7 on the outboard pylon, but I see your point :wink: :wink:
Offline

navy_airframer

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

  • Posts: 51
  • Joined: 14 Nov 2011, 00:41

Unread post16 Jan 2012, 20:30

But the hip stations on either side of the intake can each carry a single 120. That makes for a total of 12 120s and 2 AIM-9s plus you can still carry your 480 gal external tank.
Offline

SpudmanWP

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

  • Posts: 4753
  • Joined: 12 Oct 2006, 19:18
  • Location: California

Unread post16 Jan 2012, 21:11

Yes, that is what I said, 12xAMRAAM and 2xSidewinder (plus a centerline).

Just for the fun of it, can the F-18E/F carry AAMs on the centerline?
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."
PreviousNext

Return to Program and politics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests