QF-16

Feel free to discuss anything here - as long as it is F-16 related.
  • Author

parrothead

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post18 Dec 2009, 04:52

MechFromHell wrote:Who actually operates and performs modifications to the "Q" series aircraft? Is it an Air Force function withn Material Command or is it contracted like nearly everything else?

I believe it's contracted to a company, but I can't remember which one.
No plane on Sunday, maybe be one come Monday...
www.parrotheadjeff.com

That_Engine_Guy

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post18 Dec 2009, 05:19

It's a contract with a company.

I don't think that contract has been established yet; that's what the request was for.

TEG
[Airplanes are] near perfect, all they lack is the ability to forgive.
— Richard Collins

ruderamronbo

Unread post18 Dec 2009, 20:53

I was at Tyndall for three years in the Weapons Evaluation Group and I believe BAE modified the F-4s. They were pulling C models out because all the Ds Es, and Gs had all been splashed which is why the QF-16 program has some urgency.
8)

oz52

Unread post20 Dec 2009, 19:42

anyone have any updates on the contract award??
I currently work on the QF-4 and have not heard any news on the upcoming QF-16 award.

oz52

Unread post20 Dec 2009, 20:12

any one have any info on the QF-16 contract. I work on the QF-4 and we have bid on the QF-16.

TC

F-16.net Moderator

F-16.net Moderator

Unread post21 Dec 2009, 08:19

The 82nd ATRS has actually been using RF-4C models, not the Chucks.

About 20 years ago, it was already determined, (even in 1990 dollars) to be too expensive to pull the C's out of AMARG, and configure them to FSATs. The Chucks had internal structural concerns that differed from the other models. Attempting to mod' this was not deemed to be cost effective.

If anything, what parts could be cann'ed from the C's and installed on the other jets may have been done.

Once the AF shoots through the QRF fleet, they will begin to spin up the QF-16A/B ops.

Once the aircraft are pulled out of AMARG, they are flown to Mojave, where they undergo the FSAT mod's. IIRC, BAe still has the FSAT contract. The Rhinos are flown by a combination of Active Duty and contract pilots.

Re: the engines...QF-16A/Bs will retain their PW F100s. Mod'ing the aircraft by changing to a different engine for an average of just 7 flights would cause an unnecessary expense.

Also, FSATs have to be man-rated, meaning, a pilot can (and does) still fly the aircraft when it isn't being flown unmanned. All drone pilots will have to become type-rated and/or requal on F-16s. The AF will train the pilots to fly a standard config. Blk. 15, not what would amount to an experimental airframe.

With the drawdown of fighter airframes, there's no pressing need for the F100-200 engines that they will have anyway. If there was, then there would be an AMARG yard full of engineless Vipers, much like the tailless 707s they had there back in the 80s, when the KC-135s needed them.
"He counted on America to be passive...He counted wrong." -- President Ronald Reagan

energo

Unread post23 Dec 2009, 11:38

MechFromHell wrote:Who actually operates and performs modifications to the "Q" series aircraft? Is it an Air Force function withn Material Command or is it contracted like nearly everything else?

I believe qualification flights and operator is at Tyndale (82 Aerial Target Squadron, 53rd Weapons Evaluation Group), but conversion is done by BAE/Tracor in Mojave, California. There is also a detachment at Hollomon.

B. Bolsøy
Oslo

djcross

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post09 Mar 2010, 18:17

Boeing won the contract.

That_Engine_Guy

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post09 Mar 2010, 18:33

I hear rumor they'll be powered by 'kitted' PW-100 motors removed from F-15s. The PW-220s from the retired F-16s have been going to F-15 units to 'upgrade' them. The displaced PW-100s make the obvious choice if properly fitted to the target-Vipers.

Keep 'em flyin' :thumb:
TEG
[Airplanes are] near perfect, all they lack is the ability to forgive.
— Richard Collins

Elliboom

Unread post09 Mar 2010, 19:12

Does anyone know if there is an updated listing of which tails they have converted into QF-4's. I am curious to see if my old jet is on death row yet. Also I can't believe that they are going to have gone through all the F-4 airframs sitting at DM. Is there only certain blocks that they are converting?

edpop

Unread post09 Mar 2010, 22:14

Boeing Receives Phase 1 of Contract for US Air Force QF-16 Drone

ST. LOUIS, March 9, 2010 -- Boeing has been awarded a U.S. Air Force contract worth approximately $69.7 million for the initial engineering, manufacturing and development of QF-16 Full Scale Aerial Targets to replace the QF-4 fleet. Under the terms of the remainder of the contract, expected to be awarded in coming years, up to 126 QF-16 drones will deliver beginning in 2014.

More: http://www.f-16.net/news_article4036.html

RockyController

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post10 Mar 2010, 04:12

Elliboom wrote:Does anyone know if there is an updated listing of which tails they have converted into QF-4's. I am curious to see if my old jet is on death row yet. Also I can't believe that they are going to have gone through all the F-4 airframs sitting at DM. Is there only certain blocks that they are converting?

From what I know only certain ones that are still flyable and can be controlled from the ground safely are kept as drones, others are rejected and sent back to the boneyard.
Admit nothing, deny everything and make counter-accusations

FALCON16

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post14 Mar 2010, 09:57

News: Boeing won the contract to convert 126 stored F-16 for 69 million USD. These F-16 aircrafts now store in Arizona, at the Davis-Monthan AFB. The Boeing will convert the Falcons at St. Louis, and the test will execute at Jacksonville.

See also the picture with "HD" tailcode.
http://www.airfighters.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=888

Boman

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post14 Mar 2010, 10:54

Falcon,
The pic of the HD-coded Viper is computer generated, and most likely based on the Twobobs decal sheet.
Sorry!

FlightDreamz

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post14 Mar 2010, 15:10

I just hope the U.S. manages to get the F-35 Lightning II back on schedule and into production before we start blowing QF-16 drones out of the sky (high airframe hours and resulting maintenance hours or not).
:offtopic:
And here's a scary thought with all the talk of U.A.V.'s being the "next best thing" (I'll admit they're useful IE:Predators reconnaissance and Hellfire strikes) but I still think a man should be kept in the loop. And yeah I know the Predator, Reapers, etc. are remotely piloted but still...
Pretty soon <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWUR3sgKUV8&feature=related">THIS</a> might be the wave of the future! SIGH! But looking on the bright side maybe all those years of playing Janes U.S.A.F. wasn't in vain? :roll:
A fighter without a gun . . . is like an airplane without a wing.— Brigadier General Robin Olds, USAF.
PreviousNext

Return to General F-16 forum