Former Squid Checking-In

Let us know what your connection is with the aircraft, tell us where you're from and what you like!
  • Author

ao1_aw_sw_usn

Unread post01 Dec 2009, 23:27

Hey All,

I'm a former Aviation Ordnanceman First Class (E-6) of the USN, and I've come to this forum to share my passion with a bird that I never had the privilege of working with... the one and only Viper.

Why am I interested in an aircraft that was basically shunned by my branch of service? For one, it's because the F-16 is one sexy beast! Another reason as to why the Viper has got me intrigued was the fact that I play the Falcon series PC simulators, and I'm interested in the inner workings of such a great multi-role fighter. It’s also a small hobby of mine to compare the F-16 to what I've personally worked on, the F/A-18 Hornet. I'm also curious on how my USAF counterparts maintain (and more importantly, load) their birds. Those are some of the reasons why I'm here.

So even though there's a lowly former squid infesting your board, please take it easy on me... :notworthy:. I promise to keep the inner service rivalry to a bare minimum :cheers:

IYAOYAS

rpgrynn

Unread post02 Dec 2009, 20:14

welcome!

callsignthumper

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post02 Dec 2009, 23:33

Well hello fello navy man!!! Welcome aboard lol, hey did you do any time on the Big John?? I did it last cruise. Good times, and horrible times lol. I wish i knew technical data, but i know two things jack, and sh.it, and jack left town. HOWEVER i share the same passion, and i love the falcon series as well. But im also a huge fan of Ace combat. Alot of guys on here are pretty resourcefull, but well you will find out lol. Anyways :cheers:

ao1_aw_sw_usn

Unread post03 Dec 2009, 01:53

Thanks for the welcomes!

callsignthumper wrote:Well hello fello navy man!!! Welcome aboard lol, hey did you do any time on the Big John??

No, I was never on the John C. Stennis (if that was what you were referring to?). I was stationed on the USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70) when she was stationed in Bremerton, WA for a time though. Was a shipboard Ordnanceman in both G-3 and G-1 Divisions and saw a little action with Operation Desert Fox (1999) and Operation Enduring Freedom (2001).

I was medically separated in 2005 after sustaining 4 herniated disks during OEF. They (the Naval Witchdoctors) couldn't fix me so they sent me home. Sometimes I miss my time out at sea. But then again, I now more time at home sitting in front of my F-16 sim without worrying about duty or being "Haze Gray and Underway" ever again!

vegasdave901

Unread post03 Dec 2009, 02:46

Hate to be the one to break it to you, but the Navy doesn't shun the F-16. They're flying them as we speak.

ao1_aw_sw_usn

Unread post03 Dec 2009, 03:13

vegasdave901 wrote:Hate to be the one to break it to you, but the Navy doesn't shun the F-16. They're flying them as we speak.

Yes Sir, I'm fully aware that the Navy uses F-16N's for aggressor training. What I meant by being shunned was that they turned down the F-16 as the F-4's replacement bird. I'm sure that we all know by now that the USN went with a heavily modified YF-17 instead of the Viper. Therefore the Navy shunned the F-16 from active service in the Fleet.

If's and but's never amount to anything, but it would have been something else to see a Viper sitting on Cat 2 and ready for it's burner shot off the bow!

loser

Unread post03 Dec 2009, 15:57

Navy went to the YF-17 for the most part due to 2 engines. Better 2 have 2 when you are over water and one craps out. DcDonnell Douglas also had more experience with Naval aircraft vs, General Dynamics.

Weight was another factor, ading corrosion protection and a beefed up landing gear would negate alot of the early a model advantages.

Hope that helps.

johnwill

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post03 Dec 2009, 20:32

Welcome aboard, loser.

The Navy would do anything, say anything to keep from buying an Air Force airplane. All the reasons you listed except 1 v 2 engines applied equally to navalizing the YF-17. The Navy has had lots of single engine airplanes operating off carrier decks (and will again, soon), so what's left? Navy pride.

You also don't mention the navalized YF-16 was to be developed with LTV supplying the carrier suitability capability. LTV has built several thousand carrier borne airplanes.

callsignthumper

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post03 Dec 2009, 21:02

Why you calling him a loser? Although the Navy was said, it will only be using dual engine planes, they rebunked that with the F-35. The F-16 would be awsome to look at taking off a carrier, but it would look out of place. I ment the John F Kennedy CV-67, better known as "BIG-JOHN" not the Stennis, but if you where west coast, i could understand your ignorance on that lol.

loser

Unread post04 Dec 2009, 04:59

Same thing could be said about Air Force pride, the F-4 was a Navy platform that the Air Force was forced to buy. They did not like that at all. It lead to the fly off competition you see today. You need to adjust your thinking back a few decades when jet engine reliability was just not there, so the reasoning was sound. The Navy does not have all that nice concrete to land on. As far as single engine aircraft recent history you are probably referring to the A-7. Subsonic, reliable and cheap.

Thanks for the reply.

StolichnayaStrafer

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post04 Dec 2009, 13:01

callsignthumper wrote:Why you calling him a loser?

He called him Loser because that is his Forum name. :P
Why is the vodka gone?
Why is the vodka always gone... oh- that's why!
Hide the vodka!!!

callsignthumper

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post04 Dec 2009, 17:31

lol I knew it was too funny to look past!

Scorpion1alpha

F-16.net Moderator

F-16.net Moderator

Unread post05 Dec 2009, 11:03

We won't hold it against you as a former Navy guy. LOL!

If you like and support our Vipers and can bypass the interservice rivalry, then I extend a hand and say welcome.
I'm watching...

Return to Introduce Yourself