F-22's at Dubai

Anything goes, as long as it is about the Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor
  • Author

Thumper3181

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post18 Nov 2009, 03:13

Does anyone have any insights as to why six Raptors are at the Dubai air show? Why did the Air Force decide to send six of them to the middle east and skip Paris? Are they trying to drum up export interest? If so I would think that they could have sent fewer than six of them. Also interesting that there are six Typhoons and six Rafales there as well.

http://defensenews.com/blogs/dubai-air- ... 2-no-f-22/

Siesta

Unread post18 Nov 2009, 03:57

This may answer your question:

http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2009/ ... e_111709w/

Anyone know who deployed? Holloman?? Maybe this goes to both F-16 and F-22 Forums.

PhillyGuy

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post18 Nov 2009, 04:35

Am I reading that right, Raptors will mix it up in Dubai with everyone that's there?
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."

Thumper3181

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post18 Nov 2009, 07:49

PhillyGuy wrote:Am I reading that right, Raptors will mix it up in Dubai with everyone that's there?

Well it is bound to happen sooner or later. I wonder what the ROE will be. Do they dumb down the F-22 or do they do 12 on 1 and leave the other five planes parked.

shep1978

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post18 Nov 2009, 09:52

Thumper3181 wrote:Well it is bound to happen sooner or later. I wonder what the ROE will be. Do they dumb down the F-22 or do they do 12 on 1 and leave the other five planes parked.

Good lord there's going to be a deafening level of whining and crying foul play if the F-22 splashes all the foreign jets in mock combat.

Fingers crossed :wink:

em745

Unread post18 Nov 2009, 10:57

shep1978 wrote:Good lord there's going to be a deafening level of whining and crying foul play when the F-22 splashes all the foreign jets in mock combat.

There... Corrected that horrible, HORRIBLE typo. :wink: :D

With regards to a mythical Tiffy vs. F-22 melee (should it ever happen), I say fair play should be the name of the game. Pit 'em against each other "total flyaway cost" vs. "total flyaway cost"--that is, roughly 5 Tiffies vs. 4 F-22's, each with identical AAM loadouts. Only ROE's would pertain to safety--NO "handicapping" whatsoever.

In such a scenario, the interesting questions would be: What are the odds of a Tiffy managing ONE lucky kill before all five go down in flames?... And of course, how Jon Lake would report it all. :wink:

PhillyGuy

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post18 Nov 2009, 17:18

shep1978 wrote:Good lord there's going to be a deafening level of whining and crying foul play if the F-22 splashes all the foreign jets in mock combat.

I think if we don't hear a single peep of what transpired you can bet that's exactly what happened. I don't think our good European buddies would give up a chance to gloat a bit and make some sales pitches if the result is anything but a slaughter.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."

Scorpion82

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post18 Nov 2009, 17:21

The Raptors are there to participate in the UAEs pendant to the NATO's TLP. A similar exercise was conducted last year.

shep1978

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post18 Nov 2009, 18:42

PhillyGuy wrote:
I think if we don't hear a single peep of what transpired you can bet that's exactly what happened. I don't think our good European buddies would give up a chance to gloat a bit and make some sales pitches if the result is anything but a slaughter.

Quite agree, it will be interesting if we get to hear the "ZOMG, we got a glimpse of the Raptor on radar" like we did after the Nellis Typhoon deployment a year or whenever back. Never mind the fact it may have been a rear aspect radar contact from within 500 metres or the more than likely explanation it had been wearing its luneburg lens, hell for all we know it could have been a glimpes on radar as it came into land!

PhillyGuy

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post18 Nov 2009, 18:59

shep1978 wrote:...hell for all we know it could have been a glimpes on radar as it came into land!

Dude the B-2 and F-117 suck because they can be picked up as they come on approach to an airshow within MK1 range. :lol:

bandit66

Unread post24 Nov 2009, 23:35

Wow six raptors huh? I belive they were from langley. Anyone got the serials? the only one I know of is 051 which has been seen in pics.

mongo

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post24 Nov 2009, 23:44

I hope those jets are being VERY WELL GUARDED. It would make one heck of an opportunity for terrorists to take out such an investment.

jetnerd

Unread post25 Nov 2009, 01:30

Apparently (and to me, appropriately) for security reasons, the F-22's were pulled from the DACT / mock dogfights. They also didn't land at Dubai. (why should they? we're not trying to sell them to anyone in the region and they've definitely got nothing to prove.)

Excerpt from link below from blogger called "Airpower":
The F-22s did not participate in ATLC. They were planned in as part of the exercise, then shortly beforehand they were withdrawn. Six jets were still deployed to Al Dhafra but they did not come out to play with the other boys and girls (OK, there were no girls). The USAF representatives at the show refused to acknowledge the aircrafts' presence or explain what they were doing in the UAE.

Here's the link to Stephen Trimble's DEW Line blog where this came from:
http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-d ... acchi.html

Jetnerd

Beazz

Unread post25 Nov 2009, 01:58

jetnerd wrote:Apparently (and to me, appropriately) for security reasons, the F-22's were pulled from the DACT / mock dogfights. They also didn't land at Dubai. (why should they? we're not trying to sell them to anyone in the region and they've definitely got nothing to prove.)

Excerpt from link below from blogger called "Airpower":
The F-22s did not participate in ATLC. They were planned in as part of the exercise, then shortly beforehand they were withdrawn. Six jets were still deployed to Al Dhafra but they did not come out to play with the other boys and girls (OK, there were no girls). The USAF representatives at the show refused to acknowledge the aircrafts' presence or explain what they were doing in the UAE.

Here's the link to Stephen Trimble's DEW Line blog where this came from:
http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-d ... acchi.html

Jetnerd

How much you wanna bet they all took a little night trip over the next Islamic, terrorist, nuclear wanna-be state we and Israel are about to bomb?

vegasdave901

Unread post25 Nov 2009, 05:02

Next

Return to General F-22A Raptor forum