Watches worn by Viper drivers

Feel free to discuss anything here - as long as it is F-16 related.
  • Author

F16VIPER

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post19 Aug 2004, 10:40

To all the stylish Viper drivers out there:

What sort of watch is popular with the F-16 pilots.
Do you wear a particular brand or model such a Rolex or Tag Heuer for example.
Is there a particular requirement your watch has to meet such as reliability, waterproof or resistant, tacho, etc.

Looking forward to see your comments.

EriktheF16462

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post19 Aug 2004, 12:43

No dude, Cheap Timex with a calculator built in. Those fancy watches are all hype. Real pilots need a calculator not gold BS.
F16 462 AD USAF. Crew dog for 3 and Even a pointy head for a few months.

elp

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post19 Aug 2004, 17:54

This might have been covered already in another thread.... me thinks.
- ELP -

F16VIPER

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post19 Aug 2004, 22:55

Elp: could not find any references to wrist watches anywhere, Too many pages know.

EriktheF-16462 wrote:No dude, Cheap Timex with a calculator built in. Those fancy watches are all hype. Real pilots need a calculator not gold BS

Do you mean a digital electronic watch with calculator buttons below the led display?. Thanks for your answers.

Cylon

Unread post20 Aug 2004, 03:04

Timex... DIGITAL. Its not really about how nice the watch is... It's really about how well you can read it, how accurate it will stay (over a 3 day timeframe between nuclear time-hacks), and how much you care about scratching it.... (cause you will). OH, and INDIGLO is quite possibly the nifty-est invention known to man (next to sliced bread and "self-hacking" nuclear watches).

Cylon

F16VIPER

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post20 Aug 2004, 04:18

Would it be an issue to you guys if you have to bail out feet wet and then get to land and need to be rescued behind enemy lines.

F16VIPER

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post20 Aug 2004, 04:31

Guys:
I think Viper Drivers need to re-negotiate their enterprise bargaining :-)
Look what I just found:

http://www.lawsonwatch.com/lumusairfors.html

Luminox U. S. Air Force Stealth Pilot Series Watches

* Licensed product of Lockhead Martin Corporation, maker of the F-117 Nighthawk Stealth Jet
* Leveloped for and supplied to F-117 Nighthawk pilots (U.S. Air Force pilots)
* Black PVD (physical vapor deposition) plated stainless
* Wteel case with crown protector
* Screw in case back and screw down crown
* Water resistant to 20 atm/220 meters/660 feet
* Black PVD plated unidirectional racheting stainless steel bezel (marked 1 to 11 to keep time in second time zone) with bright traser "dot" encased in steel housing and protected by sapphire window
* Highly scratch resistant sapphire glass crystal with double anti reflective coatings jeweled Swiss quartz movement with date function and 10 year lithium battery
* Black PVD plated solid link stainless steel bracelet with safety clasp and extender (for use over flight suit), or durable black rubber strap, or waterproof Pittards black padded leather straps

You could get you own series called Viper Pilot series with a built in G-force display.
Attachments
lawsonwatch_1803_30620264.jpg

EriktheF16462

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post20 Aug 2004, 14:12

BS watch pictured above. Nice but no good for a pilot. Find a ten dollar Timex with a calculator and post that pic.
F16 462 AD USAF. Crew dog for 3 and Even a pointy head for a few months.

aggressor267

Unread post20 Aug 2004, 14:41

Here is your calculator with Indiglo. Guess you can't get any better then that.

O.T.
Attachments
Timex Cal.gif

Grunt

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post20 Aug 2004, 17:36

I thought USAF pilots usually wore sumthin' like a Chase Durer Chronograph :wink:
LET'S ROLL!
SPIRIT OF 9-11-01

IDCrewDawg

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post20 Aug 2004, 19:54

Think functionality|pratcicality! What would you wear if you had to buy it yourself? The jet comes with a clock, but it doesn't always work. Me, I would wear something that fit my needs. Since I am the best pilot in the world I wouldn't worry too awful much about my clock needs after I bail out! I would be wanting to know how long from point A to the tanker or to the target, and that would dictate what I would wear. Now since I am a crew chief I have different needs. I wear something that can be submerged in fuel, hydraulic flud, withstand cold/hot temps, and something I am not worried about getting scratched.

This is what I wear
Attachments
casio.jpg

PointyHead

Unread post20 Aug 2004, 21:32

Back when I worked on jets instead of PowerPoint slides, I wore a cheapo watch with day/date, and remounted it on one of the fugly green watchbands they sell at Clothing Sales. It had a velcroed flap to cover the crystal and was the only legal way to wear a watch on the flightline.

I'm not sure there is a legal way to wear a watch on the line these days. YMMV.

IDCrewDawg

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post20 Aug 2004, 23:14

Well legal depends on what your working on, as well as what your near. When loading live munitions you shouldn't be wearing a watch at all, and when working around open fuel cells you also shouldn't be wearing a watch. I mentioned needing to be resistant against fuel cause when I am working on an engine and disconnect a fuel line for some reason I may get fuel on my arm and watch. Fuel and Hydraulic flud makes plastic brittle, and if submerged will eat at the seals used on normal watches and render the water restiant feature useless. Depending on who you ask you shouldn't be wearing a watch ever when on the flight line, but a crew chief has time critial items that he must keep in mind and will need a watch for those.

madsabre16

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post21 Aug 2004, 05:31

I've seen all types of watches worn. Usually there is a push to buy the Breitling with special Viper patch and Viper at the 3 and 9 'o clock positions for the cut-rate price of $1300 and a lot of guys jump at the opportunity. The only time I ever wear a watch is while I'm wearing my flightsuit so I can't justify spending that kind of coin. I was issued a Casio G-Shock in 1995 when I started UPT; have had it ever since and still on the original battery (maybe that's why it gains 1" per day). About the only thing you need a watch for nowadays is to shoot it down in the bar and to start the JFS on time. Since all Viper system time is now updated with GPS, no need to look at your watch for anything.

Return to General F-16 forum