Couldn't resist... - Just some cool F-35 photos

Discuss photos, special paintschemes and serial numbers of the F-35
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

LMAggie

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 579
  • Joined: 12 Aug 2007, 07:43

Unread post25 Sep 2008, 04:10

I'm not entertaining any replies; I'd just like to show some cool photos...
Attachments
sdd_f35testb_027.jpg
sdd_f35testb_045.jpg
sdd_f35testb_041.jpg
sdd_f35testb_048.jpg
“Its not the critic who counts..The credit belongs to the man who does actually strive to do the deeds..”
Offline

Prinz_Eugn

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 957
  • Joined: 03 Aug 2008, 03:35

Unread post25 Sep 2008, 04:46

FAKE

Everyone knows F-35's don't really fly, they just eat money...
"A visitor from Mars could easily pick out the civilized nations. They have the best implements of war."
Offline

geogen

Banned

  • Posts: 3123
  • Joined: 11 Mar 2008, 15:28
  • Location: 45 km offshore, New England

Unread post25 Sep 2008, 05:21

Thanks for pics, LMAggie. Respects for your service..

I'd personally support and conceive of an eventual 100 +/- force size US SOCOM joint operation F-35B wing trained for roadway, remote and LHD special operations. IMO.

God speed to the development success.
The Super-Viper has not yet begun to concede.
Offline

F16NDI

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

  • Posts: 54
  • Joined: 03 Jul 2008, 01:22

Unread post25 Sep 2008, 05:32

geogen wrote:Thanks for pics, LMAggie. Respects for your service..

I'd personally support and conceive of an eventual 100 +/- force size US SOCOM joint operation F-35B wing trained for roadway, remote and LHD special operations. IMO.

God speed to the development success.


I 2nd that thanks for the photos, I analysis the JOAP sample every time either jet flies That's (Joint OIL Analysis Program) for all the NAY SAYERS, who don't have a clue.
Offline

SnakeHandler

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 718
  • Joined: 01 Jul 2007, 18:22

Unread post25 Sep 2008, 14:02

How fast are those doors designed to go when open?
Offline

Hookturn

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

  • Posts: 70
  • Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 09:49

Unread post25 Sep 2008, 14:59

An uneducated guess could be that the reason why the lift fan door is designed the way it is, is to use the forward momentum of the aircraft to help speeding up the lift fan in order to ease up the forces to the clutch and transmission when the lift fan is started.

No idea if it's so, but that's for sure how I would design the thing :P
Offline

Lightndattic

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 546
  • Joined: 06 Oct 2005, 12:43
  • Location: Dallas, Texas

Unread post25 Sep 2008, 15:53

Hookturn wrote:An uneducated guess could be that the reason why the lift fan door is designed the way it is, is to use the forward momentum of the aircraft to help speeding up the lift fan in order to ease up the forces to the clutch and transmission when the lift fan is started.

No idea if it's so, but that's for sure how I would design the thing :P


IIRC, it was actually done for weight reduction and simplicity, but you're right, once that cover and the bottom duct open up, the ram air should help to spin up the lift fan.
Offline

SnakeHandler

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 718
  • Joined: 01 Jul 2007, 18:22

Unread post25 Sep 2008, 23:24

It still looks ugly with all those doors.
Offline

Guysmiley

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1496
  • Joined: 26 May 2005, 19:39

Unread post26 Sep 2008, 00:28

I thought the X-35 doors looked pretty cool, sci-fi like. The Yak-style lift fan door (yak, barf, hurl) looks uuuuuuugly IMO. I know it saves weight, but damn, talk about a beating with the ugly stick.
Offline

Obamanite

Senior member

Senior member

  • Posts: 311
  • Joined: 26 May 2008, 22:10

Unread post26 Sep 2008, 06:24

SnakeHandler wrote:How fast are those doors designed to go when open?


As fast as the rest of the airplane, I would guess...
Offline

Obamanite

Senior member

Senior member

  • Posts: 311
  • Joined: 26 May 2008, 22:10

Unread post26 Sep 2008, 06:26

Guysmiley wrote:I thought the X-35 doors looked pretty cool, sci-fi like. The Yak-style lift fan door (yak, barf, hurl) looks uuuuuuugly IMO. I know it saves weight, but damn, talk about a beating with the ugly stick.


Hence my name for it, the F-35 Flying Turd.
Offline

Guysmiley

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1496
  • Joined: 26 May 2005, 19:39

Unread post26 Sep 2008, 15:23

:roll:

Did someone post something, or was that just gas?
Offline

SnakeHandler

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 718
  • Joined: 01 Jul 2007, 18:22

Unread post27 Sep 2008, 00:25

Hey Ob, I know that was your attempt at humor but I was asking a legit question. I know the doors will go as fast as the rest of the jet. That's how they get all the parts to fly in formation. I was inquiring as to the airspeed/Mach design limitations with them open. Also, while it isn't as sexy as the Viper, nothing ever will be. We are just going to have to accept that and move on. The capabilities it provides far outweigh anything the Viper could ever hope to offer with any amount of money for upgrades. Personally, I can't wait to fly it. I just wish they'd put the C model's wing on the A model.
Online

SpudmanWP

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 8382
  • Joined: 12 Oct 2006, 19:18
  • Location: California

Unread post27 Sep 2008, 15:32

Guysmiley wrote: talk about a beating with the ugly stick.

Just be thankful that we did not end up with the F-32 ;)

When that thing fell out of the Ugly Tree... it hit every branch on the way down :lol:
Offline
User avatar

sferrin

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 5346
  • Joined: 22 Jul 2005, 03:23

Unread post27 Sep 2008, 17:19

SpudmanWP wrote:
Guysmiley wrote: talk about a beating with the ugly stick.

Just be thankful that we did not end up with the F-32 ;)

When that thing fell out of the Ugly Tree... it hit every branch on the way down :lol:


And broke every one of them. :lol:
Attachments
x32.jpg
Next

Return to F-35 Spotting & Photography

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest