Who paints the nose art on Air Force aircraft please?

Military aircraft - Post cold war aircraft, including for example B-2, Gripen, F-18E/F Super Hornet, Rafale, and Typhoon.
  • Author

Aussie_Falcon_Freak

Unread post20 Jun 2007, 15:21

I was going through some of my old air show photos and also a new book on worldwide F-16 markings and I was just wondering if it is always Air Force personnel who apply the nose art to aircraft, or are there ever cases where a professional artist/signwriter may be used?

Also, what is the official position of the US Air Force on nose art? Is it something that is frowned upon for the most part, or actively encouraged?

Here's a shot of one of my personal favorites. It's not from an F-16, but a B-52H from the 5th Bomb Wing at Minot, North Dakota... I took this shot of her many years ago now... Anyone have a contact at Minot to know if this ol' girl is still alive and kicking??
Attachments
appetite.jpg
Appetite for Destruction II
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure...

maddog2840

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post20 Jun 2007, 16:23

It usually falls to the crew chief to either personally paint the jet or see to it that someone else does. The pilot/crew have the right to name it allthough some consult the crew cheif on the choise. Now a days all nose art must be approved by higher command for it to be permanent. Temporary nose art is a horse of a different color.
Attachments
unexpectedguest.jpg
My 117
a10a ladderart.jpg
hot cock.jpg
Vipers Fight while Raptors Train.

Aussie_Falcon_Freak

Unread post22 Jun 2007, 03:24

Thank you for your reply maddog2840...

So with that in mind, obviously for nose art to become a permanent thing on any aircraft, high command must first deem that it is not too offensive and/or racist in any way I would imagine?

With the high standard of some of the nose art painted on aircraft, there must be some mighty talented people serving in the Air Force..

huggy

Unread post22 Jun 2007, 04:10

Most of the "nose art" is a thing of the past. But there are exceptions. On many aircraft, the art is on the inside of a bomb bay door or something like that. On the Hog, it's inside some door on the left side: can't remember what it is used for. The ladder maybe?
On the U-2, they sometimes do are in colored chalk, and then put hair spray over it to make it last. Works pretty well. They're usually done on the tail. There were a number of great tails done during Gulf War I.

maddog2840

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post22 Jun 2007, 13:22

huggy wrote:Most of the "nose art" is a thing of the past.

I disagree. Nose art has made a big comeback in the past ten years. While it remains hidden (like the A-10 ladder door art) on fighter aircraft, it's pretty common on bombers, tankers and cargo aircraft.

http://www.citamn.afrc.af.mil/news/story_media.asp?id=123034122

IDCrewDawg

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post22 Jun 2007, 18:44

During contingencies to bolster moral, nose art is allowed usually with some group level or higher authority. After the jet returns they are to remove it. That has been my experience for the 16 world. Now with bombers and larger body planes, nose art is more common. Tankers for instance come with nose quite often. Why the difference? Who knows.

Aussie_Falcon_Freak

Unread post22 Jun 2007, 21:51

That makes sense to me IDCrewDawg..

It was after all during WW2 that many of the most famous fighter nose arts came about. Certainly makes the aircraft/pilot combination more recognizable and dare I say it "legendary"...

Elliboom

Unread post22 Jun 2007, 23:55

To me nose art has totally lost it meaning. True it used to be a way to boost the morale of the folks during a time of war, but now it seems to me that it's mostly used as PR. All of the nose art that we have on our jets has to do with some crappy little town in our state. Back when we had F-4's most all of the jets had nose art. Most of the art had something to do with the personal life of the DCC.

huggy

Unread post24 Jun 2007, 20:08

Maddog,
I stand corrected. I figured most of the art was in less-than-conspicuous places on the jet. Although, all the US nose art I've seen in the past few years tends to be the "Let's Roll" graphic from 9/11, or other "official" artwork, rather than the spontaneous artwork of a dedicated crew chief.
If anyone's got some other pics, let's see 'em.

maddog2840

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post24 Jun 2007, 21:56

maddog2840

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post25 Jun 2007, 02:01

maddog2840

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post25 Jun 2007, 02:03

maddog2840

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post25 Jun 2007, 02:08

From 1979. I named my F-4G, "Super Chicken". The crews questioned that until I told them the lyrics to the cartoon.

When you find youself in danger,
When you're threatened by a stranger,
When it looks like you will take a lickin', (puk, puk, puk)
There is someone waiting,
Who will hurry up and rescue you,
Just Call for Super Chicken! (puk, ack!)

Being Wild Weasels, they said "Hell that IS our mission."

There on the NLG door...

Aussie_Falcon_Freak

Unread post25 Jun 2007, 22:07

Thanks maddog2840...

There is some superb works of art among those shots you posted and linked.. Obviously all the F-117 art is internal so as not to upset the RCS, right?

I think "Payback's a Bitch" would have to be pretty close to being my new favorite though...

Return to Modern Military Aircraft