Photos of the F-35 Lightning II roll-out

Unread postPosted: 06 Jul 2006, 22:54
by Lasse
flightglobal.com obtained exclusive photographs of the first F-35 Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) as it emerged from the paint shop at Fort Worth, Texas ready for its formal roll-out and naming later today.

Source: http://www.flightglobal.com/Articles/20 ... icial.html

That's nice. :D

(it would seem the images look awfully pixelated in the post - view them separately for a more clear view.)

RE: F-35 first production model rollout

Unread postPosted: 06 Jul 2006, 22:56
by boff180
That paints scheme to me is Fugly :s

Unread postPosted: 06 Jul 2006, 23:29
by Whiteman_B2
Wow, very nice, thanks OP! I like the "F-35" logo on the vert stabs.

Unread postPosted: 06 Jul 2006, 23:43
by Purplehaze
Sweet....

Unread postPosted: 07 Jul 2006, 00:51
by LordOfBunnies
The paint scheme remotely reminds me of the Razgriz schemes from Ace Combat 05. But yes, the scheme... sucks. Is there a reason for the white nose?

Unread postPosted: 07 Jul 2006, 01:31
by skrip00
Hot DAMN!

Unread postPosted: 07 Jul 2006, 10:26
by RoAF
I can't figure out what's the elongated bump above the intake with the flags. IFR probe maybe?

Unread postPosted: 07 Jul 2006, 13:16
by Redvan
Ooo... that's perty! how much you wanna bet the avionics in it are a heck of a fun time to play with!

Unread postPosted: 07 Jul 2006, 13:36
by aggressor267
The bump on the right side is the gun.

Unread postPosted: 07 Jul 2006, 13:50
by Loader
Here's a link to the local news story announcing the roll out.

http://www.nbc5i.com/video/9481951/index.html

Unread postPosted: 07 Jul 2006, 16:40
by Lasse
I love how the TV journalist assumes that the other participants in the project are surefire buyers.. Though it seems logical. They should've done more research.

Re: RE: F-35 first production model rollout

Unread postPosted: 08 Jul 2006, 08:10
by Roscoe
LordOfBunnies wrote:The paint scheme remotely reminds me of the Razgriz schemes from Ace Combat 05. But yes, the scheme... sucks. Is there a reason for the white nose?

It's the radome...I suspect the paint they want to use has not yet been qualified. Painting radomes is a very tricky business. Lot's of energy passes through there.

RE: Re: RE: F-35 first production model rollout

Unread postPosted: 08 Jul 2006, 08:20
by MechFromHell
Those pictures are great! I look forward to seeing it closer someday. :evil:

Unread postPosted: 08 Jul 2006, 10:58
by Lieven
Some roll-out pictures:

G3 Image not found

G3 Image not found

U.S. Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. T. Michael Moseley addresses an audience of dignitaries and industry officials at the unveiling of the F-35 at Lockheed Martin in Fort Worth, Texas. Moseley officially named the stealth jet Lightning II. [LMTAS photo]

Unread postPosted: 08 Jul 2006, 13:31
by ArrowHawk
Paint scheme looks fine to me. And I've decided you can't please everyone. No matter what color it was painted, somebody is not going to be happy.

Unread postPosted: 08 Jul 2006, 15:03
by Destro
The paint scheme is gonna change over time too, especially if they sell it (the airplane) to other countries.

Unread postPosted: 09 Jul 2006, 07:15
by TenguNoHi
Im more dissapointed that they opted to use the same canopy on every frame rather than use a bubble with better rear visibility for the A and Cs.

-Aaron

Unread postPosted: 09 Jul 2006, 08:56
by Dammerung
I think it looks nice. And if a JSF is in close, that means the F-22s didn't do their job, so I can see why they chose that canopy.

Unread postPosted: 09 Jul 2006, 09:02
by LordOfBunnies
Have we forgotten that you can look THROUGH the plane. It's embedded with little camera and sensors all over so when the pilot turns his head, he sees outside of the plane. Canopy doesn't matter as much if you can look through your plane. Some of the F-35 guys have mentioned the existence of this system before and I'll defer to them.

Unread postPosted: 10 Jul 2006, 02:50
by Scorpion1alpha
TenguNoHi wrote:Im more dissapointed that they opted to use the same canopy on every frame rather than use a bubble with better rear visibility for the A and Cs.

-Aaron

RCS considerations. And.....visibility is just fine, even without the HMD.

Unread postPosted: 10 Jul 2006, 03:04
by asiatrails
Looks cool. Here is a link to Flight magazine's comparison of the aircraft

http://www.flightglobal.com/Articles/20 ... pared.html

Unread postPosted: 10 Jul 2006, 03:06
by asiatrails
boff180 wrote:That paints scheme to me is Fugly :s

Its the NASCAR / F1 look. One good high speed pass through a rainstorm will improve it. (maybe)

Unread postPosted: 10 Jul 2006, 03:50
by TenguNoHi
RCS considerations. And.....visibility is just fine, even without the HMD.

See, I personally believe that visibility can never be "just fine". It can only get more perfect. Situational awareness is the precursor to victory in any kind of combat, whether it be air combat or other. A lot of people hear the term and think of things like Radars and Avionics almost immediatly. Has the Mk 1 Eyeball been forgotten? This is THE most reliable sensor or enemy position and activity there is, even if it is a bit short ranged. And we can't rely on one air frame to do their job so another air frame can do hers. F-22 is still not a proven fighter, and it is in limited and small quantities; and as a personal oppinion, even if I knew every air field within 200 miles of my target zone was cratered, I would still fly expecting an enemy fighter on my six at any moment. Additionally, enemy fighters aren't the only thing to be spotted visually, but SAM launches and strafing targets as well. Needless impeding obstacles are an aggrivation but I must say it's a step up from the F-117.

-Aaron

Unread postPosted: 10 Jul 2006, 19:15
by RonO
Not sure that color will be customer choice given the LO considerations.

Unread postPosted: 10 Jul 2006, 19:18
by danimal1504
anybody else think JSF is uglier than just about any other airplane theyve ever seen? i dont know, maybe im too old school or something...

Unread postPosted: 10 Jul 2006, 20:04
by LordOfBunnies
Danimal, have you ever seen the X-32. It was the F-35's competitor, it is one of the most god awful ugly pieces of engineering ever to fly. Check the flying dumpster out.

Re: RE: Re: RE: F-35 first production model rollout

Unread postPosted: 10 Jul 2006, 20:11
by MKopack
LordOfBunnies wrote:Danimal, have you ever seen the X-32. It was the F-35's competitor, it is one of the most god awful ugly pieces of engineering ever to fly. Check the flying dumpster out.

What? The yawning hippo...?

Mike

Unread postPosted: 10 Jul 2006, 22:27
by idesof
aggressor267 wrote:The bump on the right side is the gun.

Okay, am I the only one who is wondering what effect this horrendous fairing will have on the aircraft's RCS? :!: :?: :shock:

Unread postPosted: 10 Jul 2006, 22:31
by parrothead
Actually, part of the intake is removed in this photo as they had to yank parts off to make weight for the STOVL portion of the testing :wink: . What a FOXTROTTING MONSTROSITY :shock: !!!

Re: RE: Re: RE: F-35 first production model rollout

Unread postPosted: 10 Jul 2006, 22:41
by idesof
parrothead wrote:Actually, part of the intake is removed in this photo as they had to yank parts off to make weight for the STOVL portion of the testing :wink: . What a FOXTROTTING MONSTROSITY :shock: !!!

Apparently, at one point this birdie was nicknamed "The Monica" (as in Lewinsky) :lol:

Unread postPosted: 10 Jul 2006, 23:27
by afnsucks
That sure is pretty. Black jets just look bad @$$. Course so do our aggressors. Wouldn't that be a wild scheme? Seeing 22's and 35's in aggressor colors. Maybe 20 or 30 years from now.

Unread postPosted: 11 Jul 2006, 18:46
by Meathook
Guess I was sent some of the same exact photos too....might as well share them.

Sorry if their the same ones but they are nice, notice the engine is removed from the aircraft in hanger.

Enjoy...........

Unread postPosted: 11 Jul 2006, 18:46
by Meathook
Engine out

Unread postPosted: 11 Jul 2006, 18:52
by LordOfBunnies
I'm just curious, there are white bands on the wing tips, tail tips, and horizontal stabs. Does that means there are sensors there? There seem to be white bands all over the place, what could that mean?

Unread postPosted: 11 Jul 2006, 18:54
by Meathook
Don't know, I have not seen one up close unless it is a composite area?

Unread postPosted: 11 Jul 2006, 19:00
by RoAF
What's the bump on top of the left intake (Picture 12). Can't be the cannon, that's on the other side.

Unread postPosted: 11 Jul 2006, 19:27
by RonO
Gun is on the left - you are looking at it.

Unread postPosted: 26 Jul 2006, 12:02
by StratViper
That is one sweet looking bird!! :o I can't wait to see her in RAAF colours. :wink: