F-35A and B at Royal International Air Tattoo 2016

Unread postPosted: 09 Oct 2016, 20:55
by boff180
Evening all,

Here's a "few" shots from my collection from the International Debut of the USAF F-35A Heritage Flight and the solo displays of both the RAF and USMC in the F-35B at RAF Fairford back in July.

Hope you enjoy them!

Ta

Andy

Re: F-35A and B at Royal International Air Tattoo 2016

Unread postPosted: 09 Oct 2016, 23:26
by count_to_10
What happened to the orange plywood structure?

Unread postPosted: 10 Oct 2016, 00:34
by Dragon029
Blown away during a hover; naturally it would have been put back afterwards.

Unread postPosted: 10 Oct 2016, 01:46
by shagbat
It's always interesting to see the elevator positions on negatively stable aircraft.

Unread postPosted: 11 Oct 2016, 12:40
by mixelflick
Interesting to note how much "flatter" the F-22 vs. F-35 looks from the back. I realize that doesn't mean stealthier (maybe it does), but quite a difference IMO.

If it really is true the F-35 offers viper like acceleration/handling, along with F-18SH like low speed nose pointing authority, along with even better range and in some cases stealth than the F-22, plus all the sensor fusion - it will be a world beater. Would be nice if a few F-35's got "jumped" en route to a target and waxed their adversaries (the way two F-18's did in the Gulf).

Then we'd finally shut the F-35 haters up. Or would we?

Unread postPosted: 11 Oct 2016, 12:58
by hornetfinn
mixelflick wrote:Would be nice if a few F-35's got "jumped" en route to a target and waxed their adversaries (the way two F-18's did in the Gulf).

I think F-35s are more likely to jump the adversaries and them getting waxed without knowing what the hell just happened. Then the F-35s would proceed to kill their intended target.

Unread postPosted: 14 Oct 2016, 16:16
by mixelflick
hornetfinn wrote:
mixelflick wrote:Would be nice if a few F-35's got "jumped" en route to a target and waxed their adversaries (the way two F-18's did in the Gulf).

I think F-35s are more likely to jump the adversaries and them getting waxed without knowing what the hell just happened. Then the F-35s would proceed to kill their intended target.

Agreed

That's apparently what happened at Green Flag/otherwise defeated Strike Eagles...

Unread postPosted: 24 Dec 2016, 06:32
by spazsinbad
Don't recall seeing this video of the F-35As boom refueling on way to UK - apologies if a repeat.