Couldn't resist... - Just some cool F-35 photos

Unread postPosted: 25 Sep 2008, 04:10
by LMAggie
I'm not entertaining any replies; I'd just like to show some cool photos...

RE: Couldn

Unread postPosted: 25 Sep 2008, 04:46
by Prinz_Eugn
FAKE

Everyone knows F-35's don't really fly, they just eat money...

RE: Couldn

Unread postPosted: 25 Sep 2008, 05:21
by geogen
Thanks for pics, LMAggie. Respects for your service..

I'd personally support and conceive of an eventual 100 +/- force size US SOCOM joint operation F-35B wing trained for roadway, remote and LHD special operations. IMO.

God speed to the development success.

Re: RE: Couldn

Unread postPosted: 25 Sep 2008, 05:32
by F16NDI
geogen wrote:Thanks for pics, LMAggie. Respects for your service..

I'd personally support and conceive of an eventual 100 +/- force size US SOCOM joint operation F-35B wing trained for roadway, remote and LHD special operations. IMO.

God speed to the development success.

I 2nd that thanks for the photos, I analysis the JOAP sample every time either jet flies That's (Joint OIL Analysis Program) for all the NAY SAYERS, who don't have a clue.

RE: Re: RE: Couldn

Unread postPosted: 25 Sep 2008, 14:02
by SnakeHandler
How fast are those doors designed to go when open?

Unread postPosted: 25 Sep 2008, 14:59
by Hookturn
An uneducated guess could be that the reason why the lift fan door is designed the way it is, is to use the forward momentum of the aircraft to help speeding up the lift fan in order to ease up the forces to the clutch and transmission when the lift fan is started.

No idea if it's so, but that's for sure how I would design the thing :P

Unread postPosted: 25 Sep 2008, 15:53
by Lightndattic
Hookturn wrote:An uneducated guess could be that the reason why the lift fan door is designed the way it is, is to use the forward momentum of the aircraft to help speeding up the lift fan in order to ease up the forces to the clutch and transmission when the lift fan is started.

No idea if it's so, but that's for sure how I would design the thing :P

IIRC, it was actually done for weight reduction and simplicity, but you're right, once that cover and the bottom duct open up, the ram air should help to spin up the lift fan.

Unread postPosted: 25 Sep 2008, 23:24
by SnakeHandler
It still looks ugly with all those doors.

Unread postPosted: 26 Sep 2008, 00:28
by Guysmiley
I thought the X-35 doors looked pretty cool, sci-fi like. The Yak-style lift fan door (yak, barf, hurl) looks uuuuuuugly IMO. I know it saves weight, but damn, talk about a beating with the ugly stick.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Couldn

Unread postPosted: 26 Sep 2008, 06:24
by Obamanite
SnakeHandler wrote:How fast are those doors designed to go when open?

As fast as the rest of the airplane, I would guess...

Unread postPosted: 26 Sep 2008, 06:26
by Obamanite
Guysmiley wrote:I thought the X-35 doors looked pretty cool, sci-fi like. The Yak-style lift fan door (yak, barf, hurl) looks uuuuuuugly IMO. I know it saves weight, but damn, talk about a beating with the ugly stick.

Hence my name for it, the F-35 Flying Turd.

Unread postPosted: 26 Sep 2008, 15:23
by Guysmiley
:roll:

Did someone post something, or was that just gas?

Unread postPosted: 27 Sep 2008, 00:25
by SnakeHandler
Hey Ob, I know that was your attempt at humor but I was asking a legit question. I know the doors will go as fast as the rest of the jet. That's how they get all the parts to fly in formation. I was inquiring as to the airspeed/Mach design limitations with them open. Also, while it isn't as sexy as the Viper, nothing ever will be. We are just going to have to accept that and move on. The capabilities it provides far outweigh anything the Viper could ever hope to offer with any amount of money for upgrades. Personally, I can't wait to fly it. I just wish they'd put the C model's wing on the A model.

Unread postPosted: 27 Sep 2008, 15:32
by SpudmanWP
Guysmiley wrote: talk about a beating with the ugly stick.

Just be thankful that we did not end up with the F-32 ;)

When that thing fell out of the Ugly Tree... it hit every branch on the way down :lol:

Unread postPosted: 27 Sep 2008, 17:19
by sferrin
SpudmanWP wrote:
Guysmiley wrote: talk about a beating with the ugly stick.

Just be thankful that we did not end up with the F-32 ;)

When that thing fell out of the Ugly Tree... it hit every branch on the way down :lol:

And broke every one of them. :lol:

Unread postPosted: 27 Sep 2008, 20:04
by Tinito_16
Didn't they call the X-32 "Monica" for some reason?

Unread postPosted: 27 Sep 2008, 20:15
by SpudmanWP
Tinito_16 wrote:Didn't they call the X-32 "Monica" for some reason?

Problem is that in air combat cigars are deadly ;)

Unread postPosted: 27 Sep 2008, 20:52
by LinkF16SimDude
X-32 made the Phantom, the Hog, hell...even theMohawk, look almost as good as Angelina Jolie. :wink:

Unread postPosted: 28 Sep 2008, 01:56
by sferrin
Tinito_16 wrote:Didn't they call the X-32 "Monica" for some reason?

Well look at that mouth, it could swallow an elephant. :lol:

Unread postPosted: 28 Sep 2008, 02:17
by Raptor_claw
SnakeHandler wrote:I was inquiring as to the airspeed/Mach design limitations with them open.
Without throwing out any hard numbers... There is no reason to have the doors open at speeds faster than where you engage the lift fan, and the door open/close logic (which is integrated into the control laws) reflects that. In other words, they only come open at relatively low speeds.
SnakeHandler wrote: Personally, I can't wait to fly it. I just wish they'd put the C model's wing on the A model.
I'm quite sure you won't be disappointed....

Re: RE: Re: RE: Couldn

Unread postPosted: 28 Sep 2008, 02:18
by Lightndattic
SnakeHandler wrote:How fast are those doors designed to go when open?

Logical guess would be that they would have the same speed restrictions as the landing gear and it's doors.

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Couldn

Unread postPosted: 28 Sep 2008, 03:54
by SnakeHandler
Yeah, that's what I figured. That door will be a great speedbrake. Especially when it gets stuck open.

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Couldn

Unread postPosted: 28 Sep 2008, 05:59
by asiatrails
LM Aggie, thanks for the pictures. Come back out of stealth mode.

Unread postPosted: 28 Sep 2008, 06:01
by asiatrails
LinkF16SimDude wrote:X-32 made the Phantom, the Hog, hell...even theMohawk, look almost as good as Angelina Jolie. :wink:

Ruff Ruff, it was so ugly that even its drag index refused to fly formation.

Unread postPosted: 28 Sep 2008, 16:09
by StolichnayaStrafer
Great pictures!!! :D

When it all comes down to it though, do looks REALLY matter?

As long as a weapons platform can outperform and outfight whatever the "other guys" are using, who cares what it might look like- right? :wink:

Some of the best looking stuff has turned out to be the worst as well. :idea:

Unread postPosted: 01 Oct 2008, 18:36
by SixerViper
That X-32 looks like the end result of a crack-fueled three-way tryst between an A-7, F-18, and a MiG-29.

I wouldn't want my mother to catch me flying one.

Unread postPosted: 02 Oct 2008, 03:23
by asiatrails
SixerViper wrote:That X-32 looks like the end result of a crack-fueled three-way tryst between an A-7, F-18, and a MiG-29.

I wouldn't want my mother to catch me flying one.

Can you imagine the shame of being shot down by one?