F-35 ELINT

Cockpit, radar, helmet-mounted display, and other avionics
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by tank-top » 25 Oct 2018, 01:24

Random thought that popped into my head, figured I’d ask but I think this thread gets killed.

The F-35 has massive passive and active ELINT capabilities. I’m going out on a limb and assuming the aircraft is conducting ELINT missions in the background that the pilot is never actively aware of as it’s not mission essential. I’m guessing this data is downloaded at some point and analyzed, I wonder how much data each plane can save for future analysis? Also do our allies share this share this data with us as a condition of participating in the F-35 program?

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by weasel1962 » 25 Oct 2018, 02:41

One can see travelling locations and patterns on google esp if logged to the phone. Can disable all the options but google's still tracking the searches and locations. Mission/Flight data recorders capture a lot of information. Compressed data with huge hard disks.

https://www.aviationtoday.com/2002/03/0 ... recorders/

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by SpudmanWP » 25 Oct 2018, 05:44

One of the specifically named items in the TR3 upgrade is an "Advanced Memory System ".
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by weasel1962 » 25 Oct 2018, 06:15

It can't be called a hard drive because it sounds cheap so Harris terms it as "solid state mass storage".

by playloud » 25 Oct 2018, 15:19

I spoke with an F-35 pilot at Nellis... I think 3 years ago now. We were talking about the Gripen E, and how their engineers couldn't back up what their marketing department was saying. However, he said the one place he gave it high praise was its ability to collect and record intelligence and download it for further analysis. He said while the F-35 is fantastic at obtaining sensor data, the ability to record and download it later would not come until Block 4.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by hythelday » 25 Oct 2018, 15:26

playloud wrote:I spoke with an F-35 pilot at Nellis... I think 3 years ago now. We were talking about the Gripen E, and how their engineers couldn't back up what their marketing department was saying. However, he said the one place he gave it high praise was its ability to collect and record intelligence and download it for further analysis. He said while the F-35 is fantastic at obtaining sensor data, the ability to record and download it later would not come until Block 4.

That may very well be the case, but what were the sources of a F-35 pilot 3 years ago to obtain info anout Gripen E and its abilities to collect and record intelligence? :roll:

by playloud » 25 Oct 2018, 15:56

hythelday wrote:
playloud wrote:I spoke with an F-35 pilot at Nellis... I think 3 years ago now. We were talking about the Gripen E, and how their engineers couldn't back up what their marketing department was saying. However, he said the one place he gave it high praise was its ability to collect and record intelligence and download it for further analysis. He said while the F-35 is fantastic at obtaining sensor data, the ability to record and download it later would not come until Block 4.

That may very well be the case, but what were the sources of a F-35 pilot 3 years ago to obtain info anout Gripen E and its abilities to collect and record intelligence? :roll:

He wasn't an American pilot (I forget which nation he flew for). He said he was able to speak with some Saab engineers, and it was obvious when speaking with them that some of the claims were bullshit. I'm guessing regarding the intelligence gathering and recording, he may have been speaking of the NG demonstrator, or maybe the Gripen C.

Regardless, my point was that he said the ability to record and download the data from the F-35 would come during Block 4.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by magitsu » 29 Oct 2018, 20:08

We can probably quite safely assume it wasn't about the sole NG demonstrator which exists either.

Gripen C in Libya is probably the best case to google. Their recon pod's ability was praised, but that's the only thing they were allowed/able to do. Some of the reasons were political (lack of foresight regarding required legal agreements, mostly C2 related), some technical (wrong fuel initially etc.), but they were quick to learn in their first rodeo in a while.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 30 Oct 2018, 01:42

There will be some serious number crunching going on to process and correlate all the data from multiple sorties. I'm guessing though that the Jets will have already pre-digested some of it by the time it RTBs to make the job easier.
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by tank-top » 30 Oct 2018, 05:43

Great conversation, I did not expect to get this much traction. It just makes sense to record all of the data that you are collected and later analyze it. I wondered if there are treaties with other nations regarding the collection of data sharing between countries, that also only make sense. If you allow another country to operate one of the best data collecting machines in the world you may want to ask them to share the data with you as well.