Block 3F Status / Schedule

Cockpit, radar, helmet-mounted display, and other avionics
Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by steve2267 » 30 Dec 2016, 06:00

I've searched around and have not found a definitive, recent answer regarding the Block 3F software load. The most recent post I came across was about 5-6 months old.

Questions:
  1. Is the JPO still targeting August 2017 for Block 3F software release?
  2. When it is released, will it go to all operational aircraft (e.g. Hill AFB), or only to the aircraft designated to begin the IOT&E testing?
  3. Does Block 3F software also require new or upgraded hardware? If so, at what point were / will production aircraft have the requisite hardware? (As an aside, if yes, what hardware is required? New CPUs? New processor boards? Whole new computers?)
  4. If a jet has all the requisite hardware, is upgrading to a new block of software similar in concept to how someone might upgrade a computer to a new operating system release (e.g. upgrade from Ubuntu 14 LTS to Ubuntu 16 LTS)?
Take an F-16, stir in A-7, dollop of F-117, gob of F-22, dash of F/A-18, sprinkle with AV-8B, stir well + bake. Whaddya get? F-35.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by SpudmanWP » 30 Dec 2016, 06:24

1. Don't know offhand

2. Operational = Yes and also all JSFs off the line

3. No new Hardware if the plane already has 3i otherwise yes if upgrading from 2B

4. Yes.

The FY2018 (Due in Feb 2017) will give us a tighter timeline as to when upgrade kits will hit the fleet and what the expected cycle is.
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

by gideonic » 25 Jan 2017, 10:11

Does anyone know, when will the 7G and CLAWs limits be removed?

Is this already done in the latest 3FR6 release, or will it be done later?

I remember reading from somewhere that flight-envelope testing was finished a few months ago (and two airframes retired to other tasks), so what could be the holdup, to release them to the entire test-fleet?

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by Dragon029 » 25 Jan 2017, 10:41

Test jets flying Block 3FR6 have no restrictions, but it's only on test aircraft which are designed to expand that limit anyway. For operational aircraft, their CLAWS won't be lifted / opened further until Block 3F is released operationally. However, there are caveats for the F-35B/C:

From the latest DOT&E report:
Although the program planned to complete Block 3F testing on the F-35A in October, testing continued into December, with weapons separations and regression testing of new software to be completed.
The program plans to complete Block 3F flight sciences testing in August 2017 with the F-35C and by the end of October 2017 with the F-35B
Due to the delays with completing flight sciences testing, the program plans a phased release of the Block 3F envelope across all three variants, with the full Block 3F envelope for the F-35B not being released until mid-CY18.

More specifically in regards to the F-35A:
The program was able to complete baseline test points to clear the aircraft structure for Block 3F envelope (up to 9 g, 1.6M and 700 knots), completing flutter testing on AF-2 on September 29 and loads testing on AF-1 on November 4, 2016.

So the A model should have its CLAWS cleared as soon as Block 3F is completed and released. The B and C will have to wait longer due to delays.

by gideonic » 25 Jan 2017, 14:56

Thanks for the info Dragon029!

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by alloycowboy » 10 Apr 2017, 23:45

Is there any news on Block 3F software? I was wondering if there was updated completion date?

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by Dragon029 » 11 Apr 2017, 00:34

As of February 2017: http://docs.house.gov/meetings/AS/AS25/ ... 170216.pdf

F-35A:
October 2017 (without AIM-9X)
November 2017 (with AIM-9X)

F-35B:
November 2017 (Mach 1.3 max)
May 2018 (Mach 1.6 max)

F-35C:
January 2018 (Mach 1.3 max)
February 2018 (Mach 1.6 max)

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 11 Apr 2017, 01:46

Thanks for that link 'Dragon029' some quotes wot caught me eye:
LtGen Bogdan: "...The USMC also conducted a live fire weapons exercise at Eglin Air Force Base in Florida last summer. The main highlight of that was one of the pilots simultaneously laser-guided a GBU-12 bomb at the same time he was engaging an air-to-air target with an AIM-120 radar missile. Both were direct hits. This is something that no fourth-generation fighter can accomplish...."

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by SpudmanWP » 17 May 2017, 18:10

Air Force: F-35 3F software drop {Block} challenges resolved

The Air Force expects to operationalize the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter’s latest “3F” software iteration by September or October of this year, a development which will integrate additional technology and equip the stealth aircraft with a wider range of weapons, service leaders said.

After experiencing some challenges during developmental testing, the 3F software drop is now improved and sharpened up for delivery, Brig. Gen. Scott Pleus, Director, F-35 Integration Office, told reporters.

Engineers made specific efforts to identify and resolve any emerging issues, he explained.

“They are encouraged by the things that they found during developmental testing. They have not seen any show-stoppers in stability or capability at all. There are no ongoing issues with the things they repaired,” Pleus said. “Pilots are very encouraged by what they have seen.”

more at the link

https://defensesystems.com/articles/2017/05/17/f35.aspx
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by blindpilot » 17 May 2017, 21:09

SpudmanWP wrote:Air Force: F-35 3F software drop {Block} challenges resolved
....They have not seen any show-stoppers in stability or capability at all. There are no ongoing issues with the things they repaired,” Pleus said. “Pilots are very encouraged by what they have seen.”

<Sarc ON>
But But But ... NOOOOOOOO ... I was told 3F was decades behind schedule, and would never work ..... and There are ISSUES!!!! .... and the death spiral thingie !!! .......

It can't be! The basement experts told me !! .....
<Sarc OFF>

One of these days, someone needs to run a spread sheet for me for all the things that "would never be fixed," that got ... well fixed.

Just saying,
BP

by juretrn » 17 May 2017, 21:52

blindpilot wrote:
SpudmanWP wrote:Air Force: F-35 3F software drop {Block} challenges resolved
....They have not seen any show-stoppers in stability or capability at all. There are no ongoing issues with the things they repaired,” Pleus said. “Pilots are very encouraged by what they have seen.”

<Sarc ON>
But But But ... NOOOOOOOO ... I was told 3F was decades behind schedule, and would never work ..... and There are ISSUES!!!! .... and the death spiral thingie !!! .......

It can't be! The basement experts told me !! .....
<Sarc OFF>

One of these days, someone needs to run a spread sheet for me for all the things that "would never be fixed," that got ... well fixed.

Just saying,
BP

Blindpilot; we've had 3 just this week; and the week's not over yet :)
That spreadsheet's on fire!
Russia stronk

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 17 May 2017, 22:13

Fires? We have not heard about the F-35A at HILL? tailpipe fire on startup cause / cure yet - have we?

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by alloycowboy » 21 Jul 2017, 01:05

Has anyone heard any news or updates on the Block 3F software? Ever since Genreral Bogdan retired and went finishing it has been pretty quite F-35 news wise. I suppose that is a good thing because that means the General achieved his two main objectives.

1.)Put the F-35 program on a stable path to completion....
2.) Go fishing!

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by blindpilot » 21 Jul 2017, 02:35

alloycowboy wrote:Has anyone heard any news or updates on the Block 3F software? Ever since Genreral Bogdan retired and went finishing it has been pretty quite F-35 news wise. I suppose that is a good thing because that means the General achieved his two main objectives.

1.)Put the F-35 program on a stable path to completion....
2.) Go fishing!

I haven't heard any technical show stoppers. However, when Bogden left they were negotiating ?with?around? Gilmore to have the OT start with the resources (# of aircraft with operational configuration 3F etc.) delivered to the testers. They are/were ready to start testing on many of the tests needed, without needing the last few ac they will need a few months out to finish up.

Gilmore was a stumbling block there. He's now gone. Duma was just assigned as "acting" DOT&E. I'm guessing they have to work through the decision to start testing on Bogden's requested schedule, or not. Declaring 3F "ready" probably is caught up in that timeline and decision, more than technical readiness.

MHO
BP

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by cantaz » 21 Jul 2017, 02:49

The latest SAR actually says August for 3F fleet release.

Next