ALIS and other automated logistics systems

Cockpit, radar, helmet-mounted display, and other avionics
Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 20 Apr 2018, 00:16

ALIS is getting smarter.

https://washingtontechnology.com/articl ... ffort.aspx

Lockheed, SAS join forces to bring next-gen analytics to F-35 sustainment

Lockheed Martin and SAS are collaborating to bring next generation analytics to a variety of Lockheed-built aircraft including the F-35 and C-130J.

The effort will focus on integrating artificial intelligence and digital transformation into sustainment activities for the F-35, the C-130J and the LM-100J programs.

“SAS analytics will infuse decision-making with new insights derived from advanced machine learning, deep learning and natural language processing,” the companies said in a release.

Data scientists and engineers will develop self-service applications to support predictive maintenance, fleet performance management, intelligent diagnostics and supply chain optimization.

The companies will be using the SAS Viya product.

“These new capabilities will help the F-35 program deliver a total performance-based logistics sustainment solution that meets warfighter needs and significantly reduces total ownership cost," said Tim Matthews, vice president of F-35 sustainment operations at Lockheed in a release.

The companies declined to put a dollar value on the collaboration effort.
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 19 Aug 2018, 15:46

"Lockheed Martin Corp., Lockheed Martin Aeronautics Co., Fort Worth, Texas, is being awarded a $26,127,742 cost-plus-incentive-fee, cost-plus-fixed-fee order (N0001918F2038) against a previously issued basic ordering agreement (N00019-14-G-0020). This order provides for non-recurring engineering activities associated with the F-35 Autonomic Logistics Information System (ALIS) Security Architecture Phase III design, development, integration and test of the ALIS Sovereign Data Management (SDM) system in support of the Air Force, Marine Corps, Navy and F-35 international partners. This effort provides F-35 international partners the capability to review and block messages to prevent sovereign data loss. Additionally, the effort includes studies and recommendations to improve the security architecture of ALIS...."

Source: https://www.defense.gov/News/Contracts/ ... vDelivery/ 17 Aug 2018

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 20 Aug 2018, 00:11

Some sort of super-duper anti-malware thing-a-ma-jig. :D
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 21 Aug 2018, 05:41

Lockheed to build ALIS data transfer controls for F-35’s foreign customers
20 Aug 2018 Garrett Reim

"...International development partners and foreign customers of the F-35 have expressed concern that ALIS, which manages and analyses the fighter’s systems, training and flight logs, would automatically transmit information back to Lockheed’s hub in Fort Worth, Texas, possibly giving the company and the USA insight into their military operations.

“This effort provides F-35 international partners the capability to review and block messages to prevent sovereign data loss,” says the contract notice online. “Additionally, the effort includes studies and recommendations to improve the security architecture of ALIS.”

Previously, international development partners and foreign customers of the F-35 had programmed short-term software patches for ALIS that allowed them to control what data was sent back to the USA. Data that F-35 foreign operators could block include the names of pilots, aircraft location and aircraft availability, according the F-35 Joint Program Office....

...The development work for this final fix is funded by the US Air Force, which contributed $10.9 million, the Marine Corps, which contributed $7.9 million, the Navy, which contributed $2 million, and international partners, which [I AM NOT A WHICH GOLDARN IT! WHO ARE YOU WHO WHO - WHO WHO - WHO ARE YOU] contributed $5.5 million....

...The feature is expected to be fielded in the first quarter of 2019, and will improve system speed and performance as well, according to Lockheed Martin.

Source: https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... -f-451274/

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by SpudmanWP » 21 Aug 2018, 16:07

2019 lines up with either an update to 4.0 or the ALIS 4.1 release.

"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by SpudmanWP » 22 Aug 2018, 16:01

Dear Lord... How can The Drive get it so wrong?

The Pentagon announced the deal, which came through the U.S. Navy, the service that is presently in charge of the main F-35 Joint Program Office (JPO), on Aug. 17, 2018. The Maryland-headquartered defense contractor is set to receive more than $26 million – all of which is funding from the program’s international partners – to craft what the U.S. military is calling the Sovereign Data Management (SDM) system for the Joint Strike Fighter’s Autonomic Logistics Information System (ALIS).

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/23 ... ir-secrets

Even though they linked to the actual contract announcement, it looks like they neglected to actually read it as the Partner nations are paying only 21%, not 100% of the $26 mil.

This order combines purchases for the Air Force ($10,769,545; 41 percent); Marine Corps ($7,895,656; 30 percent); Navy ($1,988,809; 8 percent), and international partners ($5,473,732; 21 percent).

by krieger22 » 22 Aug 2018, 20:37

The Drive

Found your problem :P

If there's two things they're reliably wrong on, it's anything stealthy and the A-10. Wasn't Rogoway still touting the old $100m per unit figure for the -A?

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 26 Feb 2019, 04:30

Here we have the poster child for how not to develop technology [BEST READ at SOURCE!]
24 Feb 2019 Jill Aitoro

"...truly, you might say ALIS is the poster child for the failures within the traditional defense community to understand how best to develop technology. To resurface a tongue-in-cheek comment from Josh Marcuse, director of the Defense Innovation Board, about the Pentagon’s approach to innovation: “It’s OK to fail, you just have to fail very slowly, you have to fail very expensively and you have to fail with a high degree of documentation.” It would appear ALIS met that standard beautifully.

The Air Force is moving forward on a way to fix things — a promising and actually innovative approach called Mad Hatter (clever, right?) that one can only hope will also offer up some better practices for future development.

The F-35 is not your typical tech development program. I get that. One might argue that the sensitivity of the data managed by the logistics systems, combined with the complexity of requirements, prevent commercial practices or open standards from being used. But that argument doesn’t hold water. Smart tech development doesn’t happen in lieu of security.

Did the defense community understand that back in 2001? Maybe not. But let’s hope everyone knows it now."

Graphic: "The acronym for the Autonomic Logistics Information System is pronounced "Alice," and a Mad Hatter initiative is set to fix the system. (John Tenniel via Getty Images)" https://www.armytimes.com/resizer/PWQme ... uality(100)/arc-anglerfish-arc2-prod-mco.s3.amazonaws.com/public/QLGP34ZGKZGYPLMPV6AEK7WYYM.jpg

Source: https://www.defensenews.com/opinion/201 ... echnology/
Attachments
QLGP34ZGKZGYPLMPV6AEK7WYYM.jpg

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 07 Mar 2019, 20:20

Air Force Tries To Fix F-35’s ALIS — From A Big, Broken Box To the Cloud
06 Mar 2019 Colin Clark

"How bad is the F-35's computerized maintenance system, ALIS? So bad the plane may be better off without it.

[LONG POST WITH STUFF ALREADY KNOWN from DOT&E for example but best read at source then....]
...Pentagon officials have pushed Lockheed to improve ALIS for years. But now, the head of Air Force acquisition, Will Roper, has come up with what sounds like a plan to rebuild ALIS to make it nimbler, faster and smaller. With the wonderful name of Mad Hatter, the plan is to strip the functional software out of the current system and host it on the cloud as a complex of apps, he told reporters here last week. I asked Roper if this meant ALIS would no longer be a big box. He said yes. I spoke with him later and he seems reasonably confident that the code will be stable in the cloud.

So, there’ll be something like a tablet, operating on a highly encrypted wireless network, that will allow the maintainers and pilots to reach back to a huge data set in the cloud for whatever they need. It will be classified and — if the Intelligence Community and others who’ve already embraced cloud computing are correct — moving to the cloud should mean that ALIS data may well be better protected than it is now.

While there were no details in the OTE report, it seems pretty clear from the language that ALIS faces serious cyber vulnerabilities. For example, the report says this:

“According to the JPO, the air vehicle [the F-35 jet itself] is capable of operating for up to 30 days without connectivity to ALIS. In light of current cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities, along with peer and near-peer threats to bases and communications, the F-35 program and Services should conduct testing of aircraft operations without access to ALIS for extended periods of time.”

In other words, with the current setup, ALIS may be so vulnerable that Robert Behler, the OTE director, thinks the program should be able to operate for a month without hooking up to it at all. Now that’s a bad sign.

To be fair, Roper did say that much of the functional software in ALIS — the stuff that does specific tasks — works well, so they shouldn’t need to start from scratch. But the Mad Hatter team needs to repackage that still-usable code into something military maintainers can actually use to do their jobs, instead of something that makes their jobs much harder."

Source: https://breakingdefense.com/2019/03/air ... the-cloud/

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by XanderCrews » 07 Mar 2019, 22:11

spazsinbad wrote:
Air Force Tries To Fix F-35’s ALIS — From A Big, Broken Box To the Cloud
06 Mar 2019 Colin Clark

"How bad is the F-35's computerized maintenance system, ALIS? So bad the plane may be better off without it.

[LONG POST WITH STUFF ALREADY KNOWN from DOT&E for example but best read at source then....]
...Pentagon officials have pushed Lockheed to improve ALIS for years. But now, the head of Air Force acquisition, Will Roper, has come up with what sounds like a plan to rebuild ALIS to make it nimbler, faster and smaller. With the wonderful name of Mad Hatter, the plan is to strip the functional software out of the current system and host it on the cloud as a complex of apps, he told reporters here last week. I asked Roper if this meant ALIS would no longer be a big box. He said yes. I spoke with him later and he seems reasonably confident that the code will be stable in the cloud.

So, there’ll be something like a tablet, operating on a highly encrypted wireless network, that will allow the maintainers and pilots to reach back to a huge data set in the cloud for whatever they need. It will be classified and — if the Intelligence Community and others who’ve already embraced cloud computing are correct — moving to the cloud should mean that ALIS data may well be better protected than it is now.

While there were no details in the OTE report, it seems pretty clear from the language that ALIS faces serious cyber vulnerabilities. For example, the report says this:

“According to the JPO, the air vehicle [the F-35 jet itself] is capable of operating for up to 30 days without connectivity to ALIS. In light of current cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities, along with peer and near-peer threats to bases and communications, the F-35 program and Services should conduct testing of aircraft operations without access to ALIS for extended periods of time.”

In other words, with the current setup, ALIS may be so vulnerable that Robert Behler, the OTE director, thinks the program should be able to operate for a month without hooking up to it at all. Now that’s a bad sign.

To be fair, Roper did say that much of the functional software in ALIS — the stuff that does specific tasks — works well, so they shouldn’t need to start from scratch. But the Mad Hatter team needs to repackage that still-usable code into something military maintainers can actually use to do their jobs, instead of something that makes their jobs much harder."

Source: https://breakingdefense.com/2019/03/air ... the-cloud/

Its not a matter of "now thats a bad sign" its a matter of everyone starting to respect the nature of Cyber Warfare, and what China and Russia are expected to bring to it.
Choose Crews

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by vilters » 07 Mar 2019, 23:25

Well, over the many years I have read some stupid things.
i have read some very stupid things.
And, I have read some crazy extremely stupid things.

Put Alis or parts of it in the Cloud?

The thing with clouds is that they leak. => In real world it is called rain, or snow.

On the web it means : Here I am, feel free to come and get me.

E V E R Y T H I N G in the cloud is as available and as free as open source. (All you need is some 8 year old that can type)

Professional hackers might take some years but 8 year olds "accidently" do it in minutes.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by XanderCrews » 08 Mar 2019, 00:15

vilters wrote:Well, over the many years I have read some stupid things.
i have read some very stupid things.
And, I have read some crazy extremely stupid things.

yep, watch:

Put Alis or parts of it in the Cloud?

The thing with clouds is that they leak. => In real world it is called rain, or snow.

On the web it means : Here I am, feel free to come and get me.

E V E R Y T H I N G in the cloud is as available and as free as open source. (All you need is some 8 year old that can type)

Professional hackers might take some years but 8 year olds "accidently" do it in minutes.

Vilters always delivers
Choose Crews

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 08 Mar 2019, 00:28

'vilters' always delivers because of thinking 'outside the box' and in this case 'outside the cloud' in the 'fog of war'. No? :roll:

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by SpudmanWP » 09 Mar 2019, 00:08

lol

I can guarantee that no Air Force maintainer will ever name their daughter, Alice,” Heather Wilson said during her keynote. Wilson characterized ALIS — short for Autonomic Logistics Information System — as “a proprietary system so frustrating to use, maintainers said they were wasting 10-15 hours a week fighting with it … and looking for ways to bypass it to try to make F-35s mission capable.”

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by vilters » 09 Mar 2019, 00:50

Ach, it all depends.

My Facebook was hacked, twice in 5 years.
Twitter? Hacked
PayPal? Hacked
Messenger? Found my messages, but not on Messenger anymore.

Social media? Yep, they are V E R Y social. Something like, everywhere. LOL.

PreviousNext