max range of the an/apg81 and AESA

Cockpit, radar, helmet-mounted display, and other avionics
Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 25 Nov 2017, 01:51

glennwhitten wrote:One of the posters on the video stated that the image was a digitally processed combination of SAR and DAS data. Sensor fusion?

Maybe some EOTS imagery also?
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by doge » 01 Sep 2018, 14:48

Wonder, interesting one sentence. (There is only this one line, No other explanation at all.)
https://www.mwrf.com/systems/radar-systems-make-history
Radar Systems Make History
Jack Browne | Jul 31, 2017
3. The AN/APG-81 radar system uses AESA technology and S-band frequencies for early detection.

It looks like a professional site, though...but, Is it mere write mistake? :roll: (Is S-band wrong and X-band is correct? I'm not sure...confusion... :roll: @@@)

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by swiss » 01 Sep 2018, 23:06

doge wrote:Wonder, interesting one sentence. (There is only this one line, No other explanation at all.)
3. The AN/APG-81 radar system uses AESA technology and S-band frequencies for early detection.

It looks like a professional site, though...but, Is it mere write mistake? :roll: (Is S-band wrong and X-band is correct? I'm not sure...confusion... :roll: @@@)

Yes X-band 8-12 GHz.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 01 Sep 2018, 23:16

vanshilar wrote:Hmm -- I thought the F-35's nose was sealed because they didn't need to service the radar for the lifetime of the individual article? If so, would they have to cut open the nose to install a GaN radar?

I don't think they welded it close. :mrgreen:
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by barrelnut » 06 Sep 2018, 18:21

doge wrote:Wonder, interesting one sentence. (There is only this one line, No other explanation at all.)

There has been some patents describing an X-band radar system with wider band EW capabilities:

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=26802

by castlebravo » 06 Sep 2018, 20:11

barrelnut wrote:

There has been some patents describing an X-band radar system with wider band EW capabilities:

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=26802

EW I can believe, but not for "early detection" as stated by the author. The antenna is just too small.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by doge » 08 Apr 2020, 20:10

On YouTube, Mr.Billie Flynn had a video call with the Questioner, and in that conversation, he revealed specific Numerics for the F-35's Sensor Detection Range. 8)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLuRGaKzAKU (Copied closed captioning subtitles.)
Mr.Billie Flynn says in a conversation with the Questioner, the F-35 sees the enemy 200 miles away ! :shock: wow! 200 miles...!? :doh:
Is the F-35 radar so powerful so much !? :roll:
@48:30~
[Billie Flynn] A: So right we went from World War one the Red Bear and get the world war two like you're talking about p38 it's Spitfires it's against the great German pilot we get to Korea and fighter jets. we get to Vietnam same sort of thing we get to Top Gun thirty something years ago in that movie of dogfights.
That's not my world anymore.
I see the enemy 200 miles away.
They'll never see you you'll never get to look at an F-35 in a dogfight. Because, he will have killed you many many policies it's significant distances away and you'll never even know that it happened to you.

others
@60:30~
[Billie Flynn] A: look in cat in the Canadian case having an aircraft like an f-35 right now it'll be those airplanes at Fairbanks Alaska at Eielson Air Force Base but to have Canadian F-35 over the Arctic space as a intelligence surveillance and reconnaissance platform and is our platform. That can see what guy we see hundreds of kilometers ahead of us, around us, behind us you see everything. that exists on the ground over the water over the ice if you will and in the air and you gather that data all the electronic signals not just what you see with your radar.
that's sophistication that's a spy plane and that's why why we we protect our conversations at Lockheed and we're so careful with the secrets of it it's because the technologies are sophisticated and there are so many countries like the Canadian Arctic case where you want an ISR platform like an f-35 spying on the other side or certainly knowing when they're coming our way that's what you want out of it that's why we were so careful with our.

About Dogfight
@49:00~
[Billie Flynn] A: If by chance you ever end up in a dogfight then you're gonna end up in a dogfight with an f-35 that does that kind of have that capability to do a spiral maneuver like I mentioned a petal turn and super maneuverable and you're not gonna do very well. As the f-18 and the f-16 find out today when they train against f-35 doesn't end well for the f-18.

@64:30~
Q: another super chat question coming in here thinking technology will keep you out of a dogfight has never worked out in the past I believe that train of thought always backfires your thoughts on that.

[Billie Flynn] A: it no it's really true so I mentioned that you should never get yourself into a dogfight in an f-35. but that that's a whole bunch of assumptions and that assumes everything goes right and that's never the case in combat and it's why we built an airplane that can pull 9g can go 600-700 or knot nautical miles per hour can go 1.6 Mach. and can fight as slow as 50 degrees angle which is slower than any other airplane in the Western world except for the f-22 Raptor.
you have f-35 dogfights better than a Hornet better than an f-16 Viper both airplanes that I love so much it'll hold its own against anyone and if you ever degraded an engagement and found yourself across the circle so face to face with someone I would rather be in enough f-35 than any other airplane remember every all my weapons are cued with my helmet so where I look isn't where the missiles are going and if I look at you you're probably dead.

Mr.Billie Flynn mentioned the highest Altitude of the F-35. 8) wow (interesting)
@73:30~
Q: one quick question that keeps popping up and if you can if you could talk about it what's the max altitude an f-35 or what what is published.

[Billie Flynn] A: so the limit for all of us who don't wear special masks is 50,000 feet. and at some point above that at 50,000 feet you know fighter jet in the West is generally the rule and that's, because above that you'll if you lose pressurization you'll you have a risk of carbon carbon monoxide or carbon. dioxide and contamination nitrogen contamination in your blood and so that's where we limit that it used to be that pilots would cheat that they get 260 or step a thousand feet you'd only find out about it if they have an engine failure you.
probably don't want to spend any time there with an f-35 we have Big Brother watching everything you do there's nothing you do in an f-35 it isn't recorded it isn't found out afterwards so the first guy or gal that thinks they can cheat the system and take an f-35 above 50,000 feet who's going to have a one-way conversation with their commanding officer when they land after it's all over those days of cheating things are over.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sprstdlyscottsmn » 08 Apr 2020, 20:38

My take away from that is that the max instrumented range is 200nm. A big enough RCS will be seen from that far. The model I use for the APG-81 shows a 5m^2 RCS would be detected at 198.8nm, a 15M^2 target could be tracked at 203nm.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer
-PATRIOT Systems Engineer

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 08 Apr 2020, 21:03

Great video thanks. Billie sure is an impressive person/pilot.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by hornetfinn » 09 Apr 2020, 13:12

spazsinbad wrote:Great video thanks. Billie sure is an impressive person/pilot.

Definitely so. I think LM found a really great speaker for F-35 in Billie. I think it'd be very difficult to find a better one, especially when he definitely can walk the talk too.

Really good interview all around!

by falcon.16 » 09 Apr 2020, 13:53

sprstdlyscottsmn wrote:My take away from that is that the max instrumented range is 200nm. A big enough RCS will be seen from that far. The model I use for the APG-81 shows a 5m^2 RCS would be detected at 198.8nm, a 15M^2 target could be tracked at 203nm.

A question, is he talking about miles or nautic miles?

200 milles is impresive, but 200 nautic miles is enough more impresive.

A 5 m2 RCS is a Mig-29...
https://aeropathfinder.blogspot.com/

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sprstdlyscottsmn » 09 Apr 2020, 14:37

Pilots dont use statute miles for anything, and are not likely going to convert something they know in nautical to statute just to talk to non pilots.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer
-PATRIOT Systems Engineer

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by ricnunes » 13 Apr 2020, 21:30

Awesome video, thanks for sharing! :thumb:

I'm sure that there are alot of people foaming from the mouth and having heart attacks at BF4C. :wink:
“Active stealth” is what the ignorant nay sayers call EW and pretend like it’s new.

by playloud » 14 Apr 2020, 17:26

ricnunes wrote:Awesome video, thanks for sharing! :thumb:

I'm sure that there are alot of people foaming from the mouth and having heart attacks at BF4C. :wink:

Nope. They will say that because Billie's paycheck is signed by Lockheed Martin, you can't believe anything he says. So, they will simply dismiss this.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by ricnunes » 15 Apr 2020, 20:21

playloud wrote:
ricnunes wrote:Awesome video, thanks for sharing! :thumb:

Nope. They will say that because Billie's paycheck is signed by Lockheed Martin, you can't believe anything he says. So, they will simply dismiss this.

Not to dissimilar, I guess. But the above is actually that's even worse because:
1- They don't bother to get the facts straight about the F-35.
2- They don't have a clue about military aircraft facts or else they would certainly comprehend Mr. Flynn's words which by the way are extremely easy to understand since he really communicates awesomely.
“Active stealth” is what the ignorant nay sayers call EW and pretend like it’s new.

Previous