F 35 Sensor Fusion and networking

Cockpit, radar, helmet-mounted display, and other avionics
  • Author

falcon.16

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post25 Oct 2018, 11:51

SpudmanWP wrote:It's part of the ASQ-239 Barracuda system.

The AN/ASQ-239 system protects the F-35 with advanced technology for next generation missions to counter current and emerging threats. Equipped with offensive and defensive electronic warfare options for the pilot and aircraft, the suite provides fully integrated radar warning, targeting support, and self-protection, to detect and defeat surface and airborne threats.

https://www.baesystems.com/en-us/produc ... ure-system

The AN/ASQ-242 CNI is for communications.

https://www.northropgrumman.com/Capabil ... asheet.pdf

Thanks.

spazsinbad

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

• Warnings: -1

Unread post31 Oct 2018, 00:57

Adddddding to dat network SIMILARLY to the OzWEEGEE Jericho Plan (but dollars constrain USAF but they'll get there).
Tankers could be a critical part of the US Air Force’s future network
27 Oct 2018 Jeff Martin

"GRAPEVINE, Texas — The U.S. Air Force’s aerial refueling tanker fleet could expand its portfolio by serving as a node in the service’s larger network, according to Gen. Mike Holmes, the commander of Air Combat Command. “We’ve always understood the capability of that tanker to pass information back and forth, and we know that that works, and we know that node can be tankers spread out from the place we took off from and the place we are operating,” Holmes said in response to an audience question at the 2018 Airlift Tanker Association symposium outside Dallas, Texas. “So I think its fantastic, and I’m all for it.”...

...Under Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. David Goldfein, the service has been working to find a way to link aircraft and sensors on a network to enhance awareness in combat operations. Goldfein, who has flown on the Air Force’s next tanker, the long-delayed Boeing KC-46 Pegasus, said flying the aircraft was about more than controlling the stick.

…when it comes to the larger, Air Force-wide network, Holmes said the service has “done enough talking” about the future network architecture, adding: “It’s time to take a step and decide what that way forward will be and what that architecture will be.”

“When you look at our future ISR and command systems, Will Roper, our senior acquisition official, is going to take a new look at what we’re going to do to replace the capability that’s been done by JSTARS, and he’s going to start with an architect instead of a program office,” Holmes said. “The architect’s job is to design the network that we will operate under, and so we can make sure that the pieces work in that effort, and instead of doing what we’ve done in the past, which is design a bunch of pieces each with its own communications capability, and try to figure out how to put them together after its too late.”

However, he added a caveat: “Like all our great ideas, we have to find the money for it in a budget that doesn’t have enough to go around.”

Source: https://www.defensenews.com/digital-sho ... e-network/
RAN FAA A4G Skyhawk 1970s: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ AND https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/

blindpilot

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post16 Nov 2018, 18:39

While looking for a thread to post this, I almost started a new one, but this seems a decent place to add the thoughts.
- - -
I was reviewing the source writings for some posts here over the last few months, and something occurred to me especially in the details from VMFA 211's combat activities in Afghanistan.

More and more the ISR/SA abilities of the F-35 are being seen as game changing. From detailed accounts of the 211's combat mission.

"In the dynamic insurgent conflict in Afghanistan very small targets are difficult to locate, move quickly and disappear easily. The F-35’s enhanced sensors and ability to immediately share dynamic intelligence across a wide spectrum in all conditions must be key to maintaining situational awareness and providing accurate targeting."

In permissive environments, simply launching an F-35 and having it broadcast on Link-16 et al completely changes the battlefield in ways we've never seen before. As with other such paradigm shifts, these advantages can become addictive to the point of being crippled if you suddenly lose the capability.

I am beginning to equate this with the GPS revolution. Whether it's knowing where your tank is in the desert or precision weapons in weather, we have become dependent on GPS. Now we're having to consider how to fight in GPS denied situations. That's no small thing with our current tactics.

I propose the F-35 SA quarterbacking carries with it similar risks. The excitement of the "gee whiz!" capability will need to be tempered with near peer/denial combat where Link 16 might be restricted for EW/stealth reasons. Just as we are hardening the GPS systems/appoaches(INS et al) we will need to harden (distribute MADL nodes?) our new combat paradigm that has become "game changing."

This is one of those things where, before we get too excited, we need to reconize the new risks that didn't exist before the paradigm shift. F-35 is game changing, but we will need to well consider all aspects of the "changed" game.

MHO, FWIW,
BP
Last edited by blindpilot on 17 Nov 2018, 06:14, edited 1 time in total.

wrightwing

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post17 Nov 2018, 05:29

blindpilot wrote:While looking for a thread to post this, I almost started a new one, but this seems a decent place to add the thoughts.
- - -
I was reviewing the source writings for some posts here over the last few months, and something occurred to me especially in the details from VFMA 211's combat activities in Afghanistan.

More and more the ISR/SA abilities of the F-35 are being seen as game changing. From detailed accounts of the 211's combat mission.

"In the dynamic insurgent conflict in Afghanistan very small targets are difficult to locate, move quickly and disappear easily. The F-35’s enhanced sensors and ability to immediately share dynamic intelligence across a wide spectrum in all conditions must be key to maintaining situational awareness and providing accurate targeting."

In permissive environments, simply launching an F-35 and having it broadcast on Link-16 et al completely changes the battlefield in ways we've never seen before. As with other such paradigm shifts, these advantages can become addictive to the point of being crippled if you suddenly lose the capability.

I am beginning to equate this with the GPS revolution. Whether it's knowing where your tank is in the desert or precision weapons in weather, we have become dependent on GPS. Now we're having to consider how to fight in GPS denied situations. That's no small thing with our current tactics.

I propose the F-35 SA quarterbacking carries with it similar risks. The excitement of the "gee whiz!" capability will need to be tempered with near peer/denial combat where Link 16 might be restricted for EW/stealth reasons. Just as we are hardening the GPS systems/appoaches(INS et al) we will need to harden (distribute MADL nodes?) our new combat paradigm that has become "game changing."

This is one of those things where, before we get too excited, we need to reconize the new risks that didn't exist before the paradigm shift. F-35 is game changing, but we will need to well consider all aspects of the "changed" game.

MHO, FWIW,
BP

We practice for GPS denied, EW, etc... environments.
Previous

Return to F-35 Avionics