Of DAS, EOTS etc..

Cockpit, radar, helmet-mounted display, and other avionics
  • Author

sprstdlyscottsmn

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

Unread post29 Sep 2019, 01:56

Good lord. even if we assume the pilot was only 15,000ft, which I think is way too low, to have the spherical system detect a thermally insulated biologic that is underwater is crazy!
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer

viper12

Unread post29 Sep 2019, 02:09

Now F-35 pilots must learn Submarinese :

"Conn, sonar: Master 2 is classified as Biologic." :twisted:
Everytime you don't tell the facts, you make Putin stronger.

Everytime you're hit by Dunning-Kruger, you make Putin stronger.

element1loop

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post29 Sep 2019, 07:29

Amazing stuff Doge, what a shocker for the pilot, thanks for posting.
Accel + Alt + VLO + DAS + MDF + Radial Distance = LIFE . . . Always choose Stealth

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

• Warnings: -2

Unread post29 Sep 2019, 09:42

sprstdlyscottsmn wrote:Good lord. even if we assume the pilot was only 15,000ft, which I think is way too low, to have the spherical system detect a thermally insulated biologic that is underwater is crazy!

Probably the whale was just near the surface - during a transit perhaps - this is a quote:
"...I’m getting this really fuzzy image of a boat down below me out in the Pacific’. And he goes: ‘Oh, wait. The boat jumped out of the water. It was a whale!’ He was looking at underneath the water with the system.”..."
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber

ricnunes

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post29 Sep 2019, 12:00

doge wrote:“The first pilot that did it was complaining up a storm saying, ‘I’m not sure the system’s working all that well. I’m getting this really fuzzy image of a boat down below me out in the Pacific’. And he goes: ‘Oh, wait. The boat jumped out of the water. It was a whale!’ He was looking at underneath the water with the system.”

WOW, simply WOW :shock:

Now it's time to equip the F-35 with Torpedoes as well and add it another role - ASW :mrgreen:

I'm joking of course (or maybe not :wink: ) but and continuing with joking:
- I'm sure that Giovanni de Briganti will come up with an article saying that this once again proves the failure of the F-35 since it shouldn't be detecting underwater whales :mrgreen: :roll:
“Active stealth” is what the ignorant nay sayers call ECM and pretend like it’s new.

hornetfinn

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post22 Oct 2019, 08:27

taog wrote:Image quality and resolution difference between EOTS and Advanced EOTS

https://news.lockheedmartin.com/2019-09 ... evelopment

Just looked at the YouTube version of that video and what's the description there. It says:

Shows the capabilities captured by EOTS Mid-Wave IR camera (left) and Advanced EOTS Short-Wave IR camera (right) looking at a building.

Another similar video from LM. Also showing difference between SWIR and MWIR imagery.

Of course MWIR would have superior range performace against hot or warm targets. But in resolution and contrast SWIR is definitely better when there is at least some light available.

ricnunes

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post22 Oct 2019, 16:09

hornetfinn wrote:
taog wrote:Image quality and resolution difference between EOTS and Advanced EOTS

https://news.lockheedmartin.com/2019-09 ... evelopment

Just looked at the YouTube version of that video and what's the description there. It says:

Shows the capabilities captured by EOTS Mid-Wave IR camera (left) and Advanced EOTS Short-Wave IR camera (right) looking at a building.

Thanks for the heads up hornetfinn :thumb:

I'm glad to know that my impressions/opinion on the subject were correct.
“Active stealth” is what the ignorant nay sayers call ECM and pretend like it’s new.
Previous

Return to F-35 Avionics