USAF F-35B Pilots Go to Sea with VMFA-122

Variants for different customers or mission profiles
  • Author

XanderCrews

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post05 Nov 2019, 14:57

Corsair1963 wrote:Honestly, what so special about this??? As exchange duty between the services and even foreign militaries is fairly common.....

Harriers are not easy to fly and very unique. Most USMC pilots are a literally a rank above their peers because their flight training takes longer. So Harrier pilots tend to have higher rank since they've been in longer before they finally arrive at their operational squadron.

Even well trained harrier pilots have a hard time taming the beast. so its like having a F-15 pilot go fly a helicopter. Youre basically starting from scratch.

Choose Crews

quicksilver

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post05 Nov 2019, 15:20

Bringing it back to F-35B, the significance is that the USAF has established a first-time exchange in the STOVL world. To my knowledge, they haven’t done that anywhere on the planet since the 70s.

IMO, that is testament to the degree of simplicity (and consequential safety) inherent in the F-35B control laws and pilot mechanization/PVI. Think about being those guys — you’re one of few pilots in your entire service who have ever landed a jet on ship, and one of only two who have ever done so on an amphib...as an O-3, no less. That’s very cool.

I’d sign up for that duty. 8)

Here’s where we talked about it before. This gent must still be in training — viewtopic.php?t=53757

Do I think the USAF would buy Bs? No.

XanderCrews

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post05 Nov 2019, 17:12

quicksilver wrote:Bringing it back to F-35B, the significance is that the USAF has established a first-time exchange in the STOVL world. To my knowledge, they haven’t done that anywhere on the planet since the 70s.

IMO, that is testament to the degree of simplicity (and consequential safety) inherent in the F-35B control laws and pilot mechanization/PVI. Think about being those guys — you’re one of few pilots in your entire service who have ever landed a jet on ship, and one of only two who have ever done so on an amphib...as an O-3, no less. That’s very cool.

I’d sign up for that duty. 8)

Here’s where we talked about it before. This gent must still be in training — viewtopic.php?t=53757

Do I think the USAF would buy Bs? No.

I don't think the USAF will buy B's but the big "STOVL revolution" with the B, compared to the harrier, is that you have "accessible STOVL" as you point out, its not a huge amount of specialization and risk involved. so we have some people who may have not considered STOVL actually taking a hard look at it, and some actually going for it.
Choose Crews
Previous

Return to F-35 Variants and Missions