Marines F-35 reset

Variants for different customers or mission profiles
  • Author

weasel1962

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post31 Mar 2020, 04:27

I think the 3 star (not 4) general's explanation in CMC38 should be quite clear.

Divestment of tanks
We have sufficient evidence to conclude that this capability, despite its long and honorable history in the wars of the past, is operationally unsuitable for our highest-priority challenges in the future. Heavy ground armor capability will continue to be provided by the U.S. Army.

I believe the official links would be here:
https://www.hqmc.marines.mil/cmc
https://www.hqmc.marines.mil/Portals/14 ... 121328-460

I would suggest downloading from the link Spaz provided if you have security concerns, which I validated to be the same.

Its not exactly new since his planning guidance started mid-2019.

usnvo

Unread post31 Mar 2020, 05:22

Corsair1963 wrote:
usnvo wrote:

First, it is not like the US is giving up on MBTs, it is that the USMC is getting out of the Tank business.

The USMC has made no official plans to get out of the Tank Business.....

Just because you read something online doesn't make it fact. Last year it was reported the USN said it was going to retire the USS Harry S. Truman early. How did that turn out........

True, the Marine Corps Force Design 2030 is just a vision document. Until actual budget documents are approved and force structures rationalized, it doesn't mean much other than the intent of the Commandant given the constraints he was provided. However, it is unlikely the document was released without strong buy-in from the SECNAV staff at the least, especially given the specific nature of the document.

But it will be interesting to see what happens in Congress.

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post31 Mar 2020, 05:53

usnvo wrote:
True, the Marine Corps Force Design 2030 is just a vision document. Until actual budget documents are approved and force structures rationalized, it doesn't mean much other than the intent of the Commandant given the constraints he was provided. However, it is unlikely the document was released without strong buy-in from the SECNAV staff at the least, especially given the specific nature of the document.

But it will be interesting to see what happens in Congress.

The FY2021 Defense Budget was going to be a knock-down, drag-out fight from the start. Which, I have been saying for sometime now. Plus, this was before the current Coronavirus Crisis.

So, things like the USN retiring the USS Harry S. Truman early and cutting out USMC Tanks. Are just bargaining chips in the first salvo in the impending budget battle....

Hold on because it's not going to be pretty! :shock:
Previous

Return to F-35 Variants and Missions