• Author

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

• Warnings: -2

Unread post26 May 2018, 06:08

Kwast Wants Training F-22s, F-35s Brought Up to Combat Configuration
24 May 2018 JOHN A. TIRPAK​

"​The Air Force’s training chief wants F-22 and F-35 basic instruction aircraft modified to full combat capability, but he is also exploring ways to provide all-up training if that proves unaffordable. Lt. Gen. Steven Kwast, head of Air Education and Training Command, said teaching flying with out-of-date jets poses a danger of “negative learning” or the need for expensive further training when junior F-22 and F-35 pilots reach frontline units. But he recognizes, “it all comes down to money,” as to whether USAF can afford the modifications.

“What I want is, I want my cake and [to] eat it, too. I’d like all our aircraft concurrent,” so that when there’s a software update to the F-35 and F-22 fleets, even the training aircraft get it so “we have congruency” among the platforms. “I don’t want to live with … an architecture where the fighter has a different [software] load than the trainer. That’s unacceptable to me. So I do not want to take pressure off that,” he said.... [then stuff about VR Training]

...These applications should be available soon, Kwast said, but he’s not giving up on getting the training jets compatible with frontline aircraft. “We’re building this model so you have the speed and agility … to have access to this training on-command, on-demand, on any device, anywhere in the world,” Kwast added. “Now, there are security issues, but those security issues are relatively easy to solve.” He plans on “flooding the market” with such devices so pilots of any jet can reap the same benefits, such as being able to train when the weather doesn’t cooperate.

“We are … already migrating” the VR technology “to some pilot training bases as a testbed,” Kwast noted. He’s hoping the technology will “spread like wildfire.”..."

Source: http://www.airforcemag.com/Features/Pag ... ation.aspx
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber

Return to F-35 Variants and Missions