Variants for different customers or mission profiles
  • Author

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post12 Sep 2016, 09:17

sprstdlyscottsmn wrote:
mk82 wrote:
I wonder which 4th generation platform achieved similar kill ratios (in a similar exercise).....oh wait.....none of them! :mrgreen:

The book I read it in is packed, but I recall the F-15A pulled something crazy, along the lines of 200-5. Not too shabby by any measure. If anyone has "The Great Book of Modern Warplanes" they can fact check for me.

Yet, today the F-15 wouldn't fair any better than any other 4th Generation Fighter vs the F-35. Which, means it wouldn't last 5 seconds.... :shock:

hornetfinn

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post12 Sep 2016, 09:20

botsing wrote:
arian wrote:
-- The story says the squadron scored 110 kills against “enemy” aircraft, but again that averages out to 0.56 kills per aircraft per day, which is not really impressive.

Agree with the writer here. I'm totally not impressed. Losers.

/sarc

Yeah man, just like that looser called F-15 that only got 103 kills in 14,855 days making for an average of only 0.0069 kills per day.

/sarc

Or how Operation Desert Storm was an utter failure on the Coalition part. They flew about 110,0000 sorties and only shot down less than 40 enemy aircraft. That equals less than 0.00036 kills per sortie, how pathetic... :bang:

sprstdlyscottsmn

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

Unread post12 Sep 2016, 13:31

Corsair1963 wrote:
sprstdlyscottsmn wrote:
mk82 wrote:
I wonder which 4th generation platform achieved similar kill ratios (in a similar exercise).....oh wait.....none of them! :mrgreen:

The book I read it in is packed, but I recall the F-15A pulled something crazy, along the lines of 200-5. Not too shabby by any measure. If anyone has "The Great Book of Modern Warplanes" they can fact check for me.

Yet, today the F-15 wouldn't fair any better than any other 4th Generation Fighter vs the F-35. Which, means it wouldn't last 5 seconds.... :shock:

I'm not saying it would. I'm saying that even when Forth Gen came out there were lopsided victories against third gen.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer

sferrin

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post13 Sep 2016, 13:51

sprstdlyscottsmn wrote:I'm not saying it would. I'm saying that even when Forth Gen came out there were lopsided victories against third gen.

Yep. F-15s and F-16s cleaned house in Israeli service, and F-16s were kicking butt in exercises. (Gums probably has some stories.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Mole_Cricket_19
"There I was. . ."

basher54321

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post13 Sep 2016, 20:20

Gums has mentioned an 80-1 at Lossiemouth Scotland (vs F-4 & Lightning) before in the early 80s and similar thing at the following Red Flag so would be great to hear more about that.

doge

Unread post16 Aug 2019, 18:22

F-35 hunts Draken L-159E at Northern Lightning 2019. 8)
USAF Capt. Zachary Clements calls F-35 a supercomputer and praises the F-35's Range, Maneuverability, Stealth. 8)
https://wxow.com/news/top-stories/2019/ ... -exercise/
Practicing with the latest technology at Northern Lightning Exercise
August 13, 2019
VOLK FIELD, Wis. (WXOW) — Northern Lightning is an annual joint military exercises held at Volk Field Combat Readiness Training Center in Camp Douglas.

1,000 personnel from 20 different units will practice combat scenarios using some of the newest technology that the military has to offer. It’s the second installment of the exercise with the first happening in May. The primary goal for Northern Lightning is to get units working together and communicating with their technology, so they can be ready for combat scenarios.

F-35 combat fighter planes are some of the best in the world. These high tech planes among others are part of the focus in the exercise this year. These fifth generation combat strikers are some of the latest and greatest in the military. They are a step up from their counterpart, the F-16.

“It’s just a night and day difference, you can’t really compare the two,” said 58th Squadron Flight Commander Zachary Clements.

Clements has been flying in the Air Force since 2012, primarily with the F-16. Now, he’s inside an F-35, and it’s a whole new ball game.

“The best comparison is to look at vehicles that were made 35 years ago and think, would you want to still be driving that vehicle, or would you want to be driving a brand new vehicle,” said Clements.

One of the benefits of this fighter plane is its flight range and maneuverability during combat.

“They never see me really in a stealth airplane where they kind of always see you in an F-16, so essentially, what you get is if you can’t see me, you can’t shoot me, so I essentially get to shoot at you first,” said Clements.

That’s why pilots like Zachary are training now to communicate with other high tech planes and ground systems in a changing, modern world.

“In the days of old, the single unit of P-51s could fly and train together, but they didn’t really do a lot with the other airplanes that are out there, and they didn’t necessarily need to because they didn’t interact plane to plane or plane to ground like we do today,” said Col. Bart Van Roo, Exercise Director for Northern Lightning.

Northern Lightning runs until August 23 are involves the Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force, and National Guard. This specific exercise has been taking place since 2003.

https://www.channel3000.com/news/tactic ... 1108911066
Tactical training exercise gives us an inside look at what makes F-35 jets so special
By: Amanda Quintana Posted: Aug 13, 2019 The F-35 jets could soon come to Truax Field
CAMP DOUGLAS, Wis. - F-35 fighter jets are at Volk Field for the next week and a half, being used in the Northern Lightning exercise, a joint training including units from the Army, Air Force, Marine Corps and Navy using some of the world's most advanced aircraft.

The F-35 jets from the Air Force and Marines are training alongside F-22, F-16, EA-18 and C-130 aircraft to make sure the different generations of fighter jets can communicate in a realistic training environment.

Madison's Truax Field could soon be home to a squadron of F-35 jets as the current F-16 jet gets phased out.

"It’s like the brand-new airplane! Every nation in kind of the free world is buying into this thing and it’s awesome to be a part of that," said pilot Zachary Clements.

Clements is from Eglin Air Force Base in Florida. He started flying the F-35 in October 2017 after flying the F-16 for years.

"It’s not even a comparison really," said Clements. "You go from a 4th gen plane to a 5th gen aircraft. You have the stealth -- that’s kind of the game changing technology there."

He said the stealth feature of the F-35 allows the planes to be undetected, giving them the first-shot advantage.

"In the F-16 everybody saw me from hundreds of miles away probably, and so they could shoot me really whenever they wanted to. In the F-35 they can not see you, and if they can see you they can’t really shoot at you until it’s way late, and by that time you really have already taken multiple shots against them," said Clements.

He said the F-35 is more advanced, calling it a flying supercomputer.

"The F-16 was built 30 years ago. It doesn’t really matter how much you add to it, it can never really be kinda what the F-35 is," said Clements.

Exercise director Col. Bart Van Roo compared the F-16 to an old iPhone.

"You can upgrade it and it’ll work better, but it’s limited what processing power it has," said Van Roo. "The F-35 is really more like my iPhone 10 and was at least designed in the '90s so that it has a lot more expandable capabilities. So they built it with better technology, but they also built it to receive better technology."

A draft environmental impact report released recently shows if the F-35 jets come to Truax Field, it will significantly increase noise on the north side of the city, but Clements said the jets would make things easier for pilots.

The Wisconsin National Guard is currently accepting public comment about the environmental impacts. There is also a meeting on Sept. 12 at the Alliant Energy Center's Exhibition Hall.

https://defence-blog.com/news/u-s-air-f ... craft.html
U.S. Air Force F-35A fighters staged “hunt” for L-159 aircraft
Aug 15, 2019 in Aviation, News, Photo
U.S. Air Force F-35A Lightning II fifth-generation stealth fighters held a real hunt for Draken International’s L-159 Honey Badger multi-role aircraft during the Northern Lightning exercise at Volk Field, Wisconsin.

U.S. Air Force Airmen on its F-35A fighter jets assigned to the 33rd Fighter Wing take part in annual Northern Lightning exercise. August’s edition of the exercise is the second iteration of Northern Lightning this year, the first of which occurred in May.

Pilots and air crews participating in Northern Lightning can expect to operate in a contested environment with adversary aircraft, electronic jamming and simulated surface-to-air threats, and such training is critical to building readiness for the threats and missions the nation faces.

Northern Lightning is a tactical level, joint training exercise replicating today’s air battle space with current and future weapons platforms. A variety of the world’s most advanced aircraft including the F-35, F-22, F-16, EA-18, and C-130 will participate in the exercise.

Draken International, the adversary support contractor with the world’s largest private tactical jet air force also take part in the exercise.

Draken supports military training objectives around the globe, providing tremendous cost savings over the use of traditional military fighter assets. As an organization, Draken is uniquely positioned to answer the growing demand for contract air support.

The L-159E Honey Badger is a Boeing and Aero Vodochody designed single-seat, multi-role aircraft capable of supporting a variety of air-to-air, air-to-ground and reconnaissance missions. The L-159 Advanced Light Combat Aircraft (ALCA) are all virtually brand new 4th Generation fighters, which were specifically modified to meet Draken’s demanding performance requirements.

According to Draken’s website, the L-159 Honey Badger features a multi-mode 4th generation Leonardo Grifo-L radar that permits all-weather, day and night operations. The L-159E can also carry a wide range of US and NATO standard ordinance including air-to-air and air-to-ground missiles and laser-guided bombs. This aircraft can also carry the LITENING Pod and other specially designed Electronic Attack (EA) pods to satisfy a verity of customer requirements.

https://www.nbc15.com/content/news/Thou ... 16681.html
Thousands of troops train at Volk Field in Juneau County
By NBC15 Staff | Posted: Tue 10:32 PM, Aug 13, 2019
VOLK FIELD, Wis. (WMTV) - Nearly 1,000 boots are on the ground at Volk Field for Northern Lightning training Tuesday.

Northern Lightning runs from August 12 through the 23, and includes about 20 active-duty units from the Air Force, National Guard, Navy and Marine Corps.

This comes after a proposal to base F-35 fighter jets at Truax air field in Madison. That plan has not been finalized.

The military says the tactical-level training tries to replicate today's air battle space. Some of the military planes used in the training include the F-35, F-22, F-16, EA-18 and C-130.

"They've got a large overland airspace where they can put down simulated surface air threats that we can train against as well as have a lot of pre-planned actual threats like tanks,” says Zachary Clements, Flight Commander of the 58th Squadron.

The F-35 in particular, a 5th-generation stealth aircraft, compared to the aging F-16 - is a big upgrade.

"It takes all the different sensors around the aircraft combines those in a single picture then displays it on a touch screen,” Clements says.

doge

Unread post26 Aug 2019, 15:42

20 enemy aircraft !?!? :shock: Too many...!! :doh:
https://www.eglin.af.mil/News/Article-D ... lightning/
Student pilots train in Northern Lightning
By Airman 1st Class Heather Leveille, 33rd Fighter Wing / Published August 26, 2019
VOLK FIELD AIR NATIONAL GUARD BASE, Wis. --
Student pilots from the 33rd Fighter Wing took their training on the road during joint force training exercise Northern Lightning here Aug. 12-23.

The goal of their involvement was to integrate fourth and fifth generation fighters, according to Capt. Emily Thompson, 33rd FW student pilot.

Northern Lightning is a joint training exercise between the Air Force, Air National Guard, Navy and Marine Corps, that tests fourth and fifth generation weapons platforms.

“The exercise is focused on air-to-surface integration and how our tactics work together with each other’s platforms to get the best results,” said Thompson.

Large scale exercises combined with joint forces can bring a unique training element for pilots at all skill levels.

“We are focusing on getting large force experience with F-35s," said Capt. Mitchell McKenzie, 33rd FW F-35A Lightning II student pilot. “The exercise we are here for is to build combat experience, because the more large-force exercises you have under your belt, the more likely you are to survive in a real combat scenario.”

The students at the 33rd FW are seasoned pilots making the jump to the fifth-generation stealth fighter. The wing’s flying training program helps pilots transition from one fighter jet to the next, based on skill level and flight hours.

“I am a part of the transition course at Eglin learning how to fly F-35,” said Thompson, who transitions from the F-16 to the F-35.

Joint training exercises allow pilots to work with many moving parts as well as a variety of aircraft.

“[The students] are here to build experience in the early stages of the program so that we can see what it looks like to have 20 enemy aircraft coming at you instead of the five or six we can normally get on a training basis back at home station,” said McKenzie.

Instructors try to give each class an opportunity to train in large scale exercises like Northern Lightning to enhance and help develop skill sets.

“The exercise gets you out of your comfort zone,” said McKenzie. “You fly so much at home you get comfy there, so it’s good to pack up and move, go to a new, unfamiliar place with unfamiliar procedures to help build your experience and confidence.”

The training and drive to be better than a peer can help bridge the confidence of working with different branches in the real-life combat settings.

“I feel I have gained a better understanding of how to work with other platforms,” said Thompson. “Any sort of integration training is a benefit to anyone’s growth as a pilot.”

The pilots from various platforms and branches worked together to combat adversary aircraft, electronic jamming and simulated surface-to-air threats.

“The mission is more complex,” said McKenzie. “More people to talk to on the radio and more agencies to check in with and it’s all to help simulate real-life combat.”

ricnunes

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post28 Aug 2019, 18:17

sprstdlyscottsmn wrote:
I'm saying that even when Forth Gen came out there were lopsided victories against third gen.

That's basically one of the main if not the main point of the reasoning behind most of my posts here in the F-35 forum:

- Everytime that a new generation comes up it will simply obliterate the older/previous generation, period! (see my signature below)
And this isn't/wasn't limited to the 5th versus 4th/4.5th gen.

So I find puzzling and amazing at the same time when I see/watch/read some people posting as if a 4th or 4.5th gen fighter aircraft could have any chance of parity when facing the F-35 (or the other 5th gen fighter aircraft, the F-22) - This is like saying that a Gloster Gladiator could have a chance of parity when facing a Spitfire :doh:
A 4th/4.5th gen fighter aircraft stands about as much chance against a F-35 as a guns-only Sabre has against a Viper.

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

• Warnings: -2

Unread post30 Aug 2019, 02:40

Lots of text at jump to video URL (repeat from an off-topic thread) + https://www.acc.af.mil/About-Us/Female-Aviators/

Meet Female F-35A Fighter Pilot Student at Northern Lightning Exercise 19-2: Capt. Emily Thompson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC9Q3K4hesw

A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber
Previous

Return to F-35 Variants and Missions