Realizing F-35B Potential

Variants for different customers or mission profiles
  • Author

arrow-nautics

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post14 Aug 2015, 00:44

oldiaf wrote:No .. Its just an opinion if we look to delays and overall cost
Given the development of the A, B & C - providing those IOC targets are met means developmental time is no worse than the Typhoon, Rafale &/or Raptor. :-D

Even the ASH IOC when factoring in YF-17 development through to the F/A-18A & beyond to the F/A-18E/F & EA-18G, the developmental times to IOC are on par.

I'm getting tired of people who can only see a glass half empty without acknowledging that in some measures, the glass is in many ways half full.

Oldiaf, you are very new here I see & I also notice your comments are ALL under the bridge. What mythical creature guards the bridge?

Or is that a gnome?
There's an old rule among many in the fighter procurement business: "Too Early to Tell, Too Late to Stop".

arrow-nautics

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post14 Aug 2015, 01:01

I always get a laugh when I hear the claims that the JSF is years behind schedule. Yes, as to what was promised & targeted, it certainly is. However, when one considers what it's (was) being asked to do across all 3 variants - what did the Pentagon expect?

The initial error was declaring lofty goals in the 1st place.
There's an old rule among many in the fighter procurement business: "Too Early to Tell, Too Late to Stop".

Dragon029

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post14 Aug 2015, 01:14

oldiaf wrote:
Dragon029 wrote:
oldiaf wrote:Ok what about the all weather squadrons operating F/A-18D ?? The NAVY replaced the F-14s with F/A-18F , are there F-35B with 2 seats ??!

With 4x the software of the F-22, you don't need a guy in the back. The F/A-18C/Ds the Marines operate are being replaced with F-35Cs (and Bs).

Whats the relation of the F-22 to what we are talking about ?!!

The point is that the F-22 has a very powerful set of avionics, data fusion, etc; the fact that the F-35 has 4x the software is meant to provide an insight into the sheer amount of automation that occurs on the jet (eliminating the need for someone in the back seat to be steering sensors, sweeping frequencies, etc).

For training purposes, that extra automation goes into things that make the jet simple to fly - try to get it into a flat spin and you'll fail.

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

• Warnings: -2

Unread post14 Aug 2015, 02:16

Davis: F-35B External Weapons Give Marines 4th, 5th Generation Capabilities in One Plane
13 Aug 2015 Megan Eckstein

"The Marine Corps’ Lockheed Martin F-35B Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) will have the stealth of a fifth-generation fighter and a weapons payload surpassing a fourth-generation fighter by the time a software upgrade is ready for fielding in 2017, the Marines’ top aviator said this week.

The aircraft’s ability to alternate between accessing contested areas and delivering heavy fire power based on the needs of any given sortie “I think for our adversaries will be quite worrisome, for us should be a source of great comfort,” Deputy Commandant of the Marine Corps for Aviation Lt. Gen. Jon Davis said Wednesday at an event co-hosted by the Center for Strategic and International Studies and the U.S. Naval Institute.

“No other airplane can go from fifth to fourth and back to fifth again. I’m buying pylons for the airplane. I get the pylons in 3F software, which comes in 2017. [With the pylons] I can load up an F-35B with about 3,000 pounds more ordnance than I can put on an F-18 right now,” Davis said. “So I can have an airplane that does fifth-generation stuff for the opening salvo of the fight. When I have to go to level of effort, I can load the pylons on, load ordnance on there, do level of effort, come back, sail to another part of the world, take the pylons off and go do the fifth-generation thing again. … It offers us tremendous capability for the Marine Corps that’s going to have one type/model/series aircraft that can go fourth and fifth gen, give us that fighter capability, give us that attack capability that we need in the out years.”...

...The low-observable design of the F-35B, when left unaltered, would allow the Marines to sneak into anti-access/area-denial airspace, take out the integrated air defense system and other high-value targets with its 4,000 pounds of ordnance in the internal weapons bay, and leave. Once the pylons are ready in 2017 to be affixed to the exterior of the plane, “after you dismantle the enemy’s air defense system…then that F-35 can be loaded up like a traditional legacy fighter and become an 18,000 bomb truck, when you don’t have to rely on the low-observability any more,” DellaVedova said. The pylons optimize the F-35B for close-air support, anti-air missions and more.

DellaVedova said testing for the pylons and development of the rest of the 3F software upgrade package is ongoing. The Marines’ current 2B software allows them to carry two air-to-ground weapons and one air-to-air weapon internally: the 1,000-pound GBU-32 Joint Direct Attack Munition (JDAM), the 500-pound GBU-12 Paveway II laser-guided bomb and the AIM-120C Advanced Medium-Range Air-to-Air Missile (AMRAAM).

The 3F software upgrade will bring the external weapons pylons, 4.1 or 4.2 will bring the all-weather Small Diameter Bomb, and in the future the Marine Corps will look to adapt foreign weapons used by partners in the international JSF project, Davis told USNI News last month.

Davis made clear at Wednesday’s event that the F-35B with its current 2B software configuration can handle challenging threat environments today.

“Bottom line, [Marine Fighter Attack Squadron] VMFA 121 just did an Operational Readiness Inspection to get them ready to convince us that they were actually indeed ready to go be declared initial operational capable, and they did a fantastic job in the interdiction mission we had them do, and the defensive counter air, the offensive counter air, the close air support and the armed reconnaissance,” Davis said

“The armed reconnaissance one was the most interesting one. We gave them a really high-end threat environment to go against, and normally to go do close air support and armed reconnaissance you want to be able to get into a kind of low-threat environment to go out there and look for targets. … We gave them difficult targets to find, and we also gave them a difficult threat that in my world, as [former executive officer and commanding officer of Marine Aviation Weapons & Tactics Squadron One (MAWTS-1)], would be a prohibitive threat. They went out there, they found those targets, they dealt with that, and they came back.”...."

Caption: "Lockheed Martin test pilot Billie Flynn puts F-35B test aircraft BF-02 into pre-contact position behind a US Air Force KC-135 tanker on the range near NAS Patuxent River, Md., on 5 September 2014. Photo courtesy F-35 Lightning II Program Office." PHOTO: http://i1.wp.com/news.usni.org/wp-conte ... __main.jpg [ :mrgreen: Alert but not Alarmed Tanker to F-35B: "Is that a gun on your centreline :shock: or are you pleased to see me"? :roll:
&
"An F-35B test aircraft flies in short takeoff/vertical landing mode with external pylons and stores loaded March 20, 2013. Photo courtesy F-35 Lightning II Program Office." http://i1.wp.com/news.usni.org/wp-conte ... __main.jpg

Source: http://news.usni.org/2015/08/13/davis-f ... -one-plane
Attachments
F-35Bloaded.jpg
F-35BtestSTOgunExtLoaded.jpg
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber

arrow-nautics

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post14 Aug 2015, 03:54

oldiaf wrote:Ok what about the all weather squadrons operating F/A-18D ?? The NAVY replaced the F-14s with F/A-18F , are there F-35B with 2 seats ??!
Oldiaf, I studied as a guest the specifications & aspects of fighters in general & the JSF for 1 full year here BEFORE I joined.

You are talking/asking about a 2 seater F-35B with a WSO/RIO? :doh:

Usually I avoid being mean because I equal it to trolling but on this occasion...
Attachments
Untitled.png

mk82

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post14 Aug 2015, 08:05

There is a GIB/RIO/WSO for the F35B....it's called Dave the F35B's komputar...... :mrgreen:

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post14 Aug 2015, 08:13

A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber

oldiaf

Banned

Unread post14 Aug 2015, 10:39

mk82 wrote:

There is a GIB/RIO/WSO for the F35B....it's called Dave the F35B's komputar...... :mrgreen:

Kind remind me by movie stealth

sprstdlyscottsmn

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

Unread post14 Aug 2015, 13:58

wow :roll:
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer

smsgtmac

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post14 Aug 2015, 22:39

spazsinbad wrote: Alert but not Alarmed Tanker to F-35B: "Is that a gun on your centreline :shock: or are you pleased to see me"? :roll:

They really ought to consider an alternative paint scheme, if only for airshow static displays.
Happy-F-35-Bloaded.jpg
--The ultimate weapon is the mind of man.

SpudmanWP

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post14 Aug 2015, 22:50

The best jobs are the ones that bring a smile to your face.
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post09 Oct 2015, 12:17

DL Distributed Lethality is mentioned on the first page of this thread here: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=27490&p=295731&hilit=lethality#p295731
Navy’s Distributed Lethality Will Reshape Fleet
09 Oct 2015 Scott C. Truver

"The Navy’s Surface Warfare leaders announced a new warfighting concept, Distributed Lethality (DL) nine months ago at the January 2015 Surface Navy Association symposium in Arlington, Va., and outlined it in the U.S. Naval Institute magazine Proceedings. DL is an innovative concept for how surface, amphibious and combat logistics ships can enhance the Surface Navy’s offensive “punch” in support of the nation’s maritime, military and national security strategies.

“Our vision,” Vice Adm. Thomas Rowden, Pacific Fleet commander of naval surface forces, said, “is of naval forces employed in a widely dispersed, often autonomous manner with the ability to hold potential adversaries at risk, at range.”

That will greatly complicate our opponents lives, Rowden said, “confusing their intelligence-surveillance-reconnaissance [ISR] capabilities and diluting their weapons-planning and targeting.”

But it’s Not a Strategy
Distributed Lethality is not a new strategy. Rather, it is a “unifying principle,” a Concept of Operations according to Admiral Rowden. “When fully realized, our vision will provide commanders a wider variety of effective and combat-credible power by increasing the offensive lethality of surface forces. Employing ‘adaptable force packages,’ these forces will hinder, prevent, disrupt or defeat increasingly capable, advanced adversaries.”

The DL concept addresses increasing the offensive firepower and lethality of the entire surface fleet—cruisers, destroyers, LCSs, future frigates, amphibious ships, and even replenishment ships. When combined with the expanding geographical distribution of U.S. naval surface forces and allied/partner navies, DL should dramatically expand the Navy’s capability to complicate adversary planning and to put at risk — if not outright destroy — enemy naval forces.

The DL concept looks to shift the surface force from a primarily defensive, sea-control posture to an offensive one that complements and enhances the larger Navy, including carriers, in power-projection missions. Indeed, offensively orientated cruisers, destroyers, LCSs and future frigates are at the core of a return to offensive sea control capability that holds enemy surface warships at ranges that nullify their sea-control weapons....

...Innovate!
Recent Marine Corps/Navy war games and exercises have identified additional game-changing insights of F-35B and MV-22 aircraft operating from amphibious ships, to complement large-deck carrier force operations.
These exercises have also assessed the integration and employment of T-AKE ammunition cargo ships, Joint High-Speed Vessels (JHSVs), Mobile Landing Platforms (MLPs), Afloat Forward Basing Stations (AFSBs) and other surface ships operated by the Military Sealift Command as elements of what are being called “adaptive force packages” (AFPs) under the DL concept....

...“Distributed lethality is not a wholesale change and adding lethality does not necessarily translate to additional platforms,” Admiral Rowden remarked recently. “Take what you have today and make it better, which would include repurposing weapons in creative ways.”

Or, as Rear Adm. Peter Fanta, director of Surface Warfare (N96), remarked: “If it floats, it fights! That’s Distributed Lethality: Make every cruiser, destroyer, amphib and LCS a thorn in somebody else’s side. It just means arming everything!”

Now comes the hard part, moving from rhetoric to reality."

Source: http://breakingdefense.com/2015/10/navy ... ape-fleet/
Previous

Return to F-35 Variants and Missions