Page 1 of 4

F-35 "brake problem" - 03 May 2007

Unread postPosted: 03 May 2007, 23:29
by KeithTCU82
Today at NAS Fort Worth (5-3-07)

RE: F-35 "brake problem"

Unread postPosted: 04 May 2007, 01:39
by Corsair1963
Man as long as the aircraft isn't damaged... :applause:

RE: F-35 "brake problem"

Unread postPosted: 04 May 2007, 04:00
by dwightlooi
The F-35 looks fantastically sleek and pretty from these two angles though.

RE: F-35 "brake problem"

Unread postPosted: 04 May 2007, 06:43
by PhillyGuy
Man, you really get a sense of how big and tall the F-35 is with that guy standing next to it, it puts things into perspective...

RE: F-35 "brake problem"

Unread postPosted: 04 May 2007, 07:28
by Neno
It gives me the impression of an aircraft built around his engine..

Re: RE: F-35 "brake problem"

Unread postPosted: 04 May 2007, 09:27
by idesof
dwightlooi wrote:The F-35 looks fantastically sleek and pretty from these two angles though.


You remind me of "Shallow Hall," that movie where the guy looked at his girlfriend, who was hugely obese and ugly, and she looked to him like Gwyneth Paltrow. I'm sorry but the F-35 is one ugly mutha. Without a doubt the ugliest of all new fighter aircraft in the world. Looks is one aspect where the Eurofrauder Typhoon has got the F-35 beat hands down.

RE: Re: RE: F-35 "brake problem"

Unread postPosted: 04 May 2007, 13:50
by Lurch
Hopefully, It's just a minor problem, and it's back up in the air soon.

I'm stuck in the middle on it's looks. It's not pretty and it's not ugly, it's just there.

Unread postPosted: 04 May 2007, 15:13
by MKopack
Two comments from me (neither of which may mean anything, but I'll throw them out anyway...)

I'm with Lurch as far as the looks go, it seems that every other picture I see I go back and forth from 'good looking jet' to... All the while I'm thankful though for what 'could have been': Several years ago I was at the NAS Oceana airshow standing next to a Navy Hornet driver who was staring, open-mouthed, at the full-sized Boeing JSF mock-up. I said "You know what's even worse? Imagine it in Blue Angels (and Thunderbirds) markings..."

My second comment is for Keith Robinson, the photographer. Keith, don't you have a job, or are you lucky enough to be taking these from your porch? I've had your 'first flight' photo (from Fencecheck) as my Windows background for a couple of months now, and it seems that every time they pull the bird out of the barn, you're there to catch it! Great job covering the beginning of what will be the next 30+ years of military aviation.

Mike Kopack

Unread postPosted: 04 May 2007, 21:23
by KeithTCU82
MKopack wrote:
My second comment is for Keith Robinson, the photographer. Keith, don't you have a job, or are you lucky enough to be taking these from your porch? I've had your 'first flight' photo (from Fencecheck) as my Windows background for a couple of months now, and it seems that every time they pull the bird out of the barn, you're there to catch it! Great job covering the beginning of what will be the next 30+ years of military aviation.

Mike Kopack


Luck. . . and I have a job where I go in at 3pm so that helps. Also living less than 5 miles from Lockheed-Martin/NAS Fort Worth is also an advantage. I pulled up yesterday not knowing anything about the F-35 having problems and looked down the runway to see it surrounded by emergency vehicles.

Unread postPosted: 08 May 2007, 05:02
by Ztex
Luck?!

You are one "lucky" SOB... :P

Good catch!

Z

Unread postPosted: 08 May 2007, 06:01
by KeithTCU82
Thanks Z

I have since found out that the F-35 had an electrical malfunction, and not a brake problem. Sorry for the misinformation.

Unread postPosted: 08 May 2007, 17:20
by idesof
KeithTCU82 wrote:Thanks Z

I have since found out that the F-35 had an electrical malfunction, and not a brake problem. Sorry for the misinformation.


Well, so much for its vaunted reliability. Any clue about the nature of the malfunction and whether it has gone back up again?

Unread postPosted: 08 May 2007, 17:45
by MKopack
idesof wrote:Well, so much for its vaunted reliability. Any clue about the nature of the malfunction and whether it has gone back up again?


Vaunted reliability? Wow, with this 'electrical issue' and you're ready to write the whole thing off? How much time have you spent on a flightline? What do you think the ratio of Code 2 & 3's is to Code 1's?

If airplanes fly they are going to break - especially when it's a unique, hand-built, very pre-production bird. Military aviation isn't like jumping in your car.

Mike

Unread postPosted: 08 May 2007, 19:30
by Scorpion1alpha
MKopack wrote:
idesof wrote:Well, so much for its vaunted reliability. Any clue about the nature of the malfunction and whether it has gone back up again?


Vaunted reliability? Wow, with this 'electrical issue' and you're ready to write the whole thing off? How much time have you spent on a flightline? What do you think the ratio of Code 2 & 3's is to Code 1's?


Apparently he is. :roll: And in regards to the flightline, I betting a big donut.

Unread postPosted: 08 May 2007, 21:06
by dwightlooi
Scorpion1alpha wrote:
MKopack wrote:
idesof wrote:Well, so much for its vaunted reliability. Any clue about the nature of the malfunction and whether it has gone back up again?


Vaunted reliability? Wow, with this 'electrical issue' and you're ready to write the whole thing off? How much time have you spent on a flightline? What do you think the ratio of Code 2 & 3's is to Code 1's?


Apparently he is. :roll: And in regards to the flightline, I betting a big donut.


We don't know how "serious" the problem is. It may be something minor enough that the aircraft will fly just fine other than a a little warning light coming on in the cockpit saying that some circuit monitoring system is reading out of the normal range.