Good spotting bases?

Discuss F-16 events, special versions and paintschemes, serial numbers, ...
F-16.net Editor
F-16.net Editor

by Jon » 12 Mar 2004, 19:06

What F-16 bases in the US are good for photography? Catching aircraft taking off and landing. I prefer locations that are good for photographing landings.

Take into account:

1) Amount of aircraft per day
2) Good lighting conditions
3) Good public land away from military police :)

Thanks,

Jon Somerville
F-16.net

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by awetsock » 15 Mar 2004, 19:51

With today’s need for tight security, I think this is a rather odd request…anyone can come here and read all the posts…no sense in advertising your base!

F-16.net Editor
F-16.net Editor

by Jon » 15 Mar 2004, 20:40

Awetsock

That's just it. I have photographed aircraft for years and you have to respect the security for the local bases. When I do not have permission to go on base and photograph, it is nice to shoot some pix at the end of the runway. If you are not an avid aviation photographer I would understand why you would think it was a strange question.

For example I've always wanted to go to Luke AFB, Arizona to shoot some photo's of landing F-16's. Would be nice before I go to find out if it is a good place to take pictures.

The sad part is some photographers have spoiled this for other people by giving security a hard time or by intentionally breaking laws or ignoring warnings.

Some places that I think are good for photography that I've been to. This is an example of what I was looking for.

NAS Oceana has large amount of aircraft daily and good picture taking in the mornings. If you stay on the public land the base security is happy.

I'm not looking for flight plans or anything secrete. NAS Oceana even has on their web some of their flight plans. I've spent many hours at end of runways and have never had trouble in any kind with base authorities.

Awesock, I see what your saying though, and some people have expressed similar concern over discussion threads like about starting an F-16.

Cheers,
Jon

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by habu2 » 15 Mar 2004, 20:50

Jon, you might check with these guys: http://www.aviationphotographers.org/

Their big event is this next weekend, they are attending Red Flag at Nellis.
Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation

F-16.net Editor
F-16.net Editor

by Asif » 15 Mar 2004, 21:01

awestock,

With today?s need for tight security, I think this is a rather odd request?anyone can come here and read all the posts?no sense in advertising your base!

I don't see how 'Jon' request for info was 'odd' :? . Even with security at its peak due to the current climate world wide it doesn't mean you can't ask about where the best base locations are for taking shots of aircraft. I live in the UK and can very easily sit outside the boundaries of half a dozen bases in the local proximity and take close up photographs of jets in the flying circuit or on the ground without being hassled by base security. I'm just unlucky to be in a country where there are no F-16 to take pictures of! Will have to wait for the airshow season for some action!!! :wink:

F-16.net Editor
F-16.net Editor

by Jon » 15 Mar 2004, 21:15

Habu2

Thanks for that link. I've heard of those guys, but had never looked them up.

Here's one you guys might like. Explore this web page its great and has amazing links. (Asif and Habu2)

http://www.sharpshooter-maj.com/index.html

Cheers,
Jon

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by Pumpkin » 15 Mar 2004, 23:16

Hi Jon and asif,

I guess we're discussing a very subjective topic here. I have to say, awetsock has made a justified gentle reminder. The article speaks an unfortunate event.

One might have his/her opinion to this event. But I guess every military operators have every right to defend their interest as they deem fit. Any operator might have tightened their security measures with no obligation to announce to the public.

Without any prior experiences in photo-taking @ Air Bases in the States or UK, my humble 2 cents worth is, it is never too careful to ensure, we don't cross any lines for our passion.

cheers, :D
Last edited by Pumpkin on 16 Mar 2004, 18:59, edited 1 time in total.
Desmond

F-16.net Editor
F-16.net Editor

by Jon » 15 Mar 2004, 23:26

Well said Pumpkin/Desmond

Jon

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by awetsock » 16 Mar 2004, 06:36

agree...Well said Pumpkin

I believe that there is nothing wrong with photographing any type of airframe at any given time as long as no security zones are violated. I just feel that pin pointing certain locations in a public forum can tread along a gray area. There are always the few that will ruin it for the other enthusiasts. I made my initial comments simply because we are taught to follow good OPSEC practices at all times both while deployed and at home station. I do agree with Pumpkin…It is a very subjective topic…

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by habu2 » 16 Mar 2004, 16:13

I live/work near a major civilian airport. Anywhere that you would consider a good photo spot is full of signs prohibiting stopping or standing. Photography is not prohibited but, unless you shoot while driving, it might as well be. I understand their security concerns but it sure puts a damper on the hobby. We used to meet every Saturday morning at a local NAS in Dallas (now closed) but they started running us off, saying the railroad tracks we were standing on/near were 'private property'. They even had the local sherriff show up to 'enforce' this... bummer.

F-16.net Editor
F-16.net Editor

by Asif » 16 Mar 2004, 18:11

I agree with habu2. The new security precautions are bummer to our hobby, but a necessity for the time. I get more hassle taking pictures at the local airport near my folks than I do at my local airstation! The airport police are friendly and seem to appear out of no where to tell you to move on if your in a car. In past they were OK with you coming on a bike, but that's a no-no now. On foot they don't mind so much. But they do keep there eyes on you!

I also think the restrictions placed on our friends across the pond are more stringent. When the B-52's were operating out of RAF Fairford last year a 1 mile Stop and Search Zone was in force at the US request. Normally they'd let you sit at the end of the East side of the runway and snap away at your hearts content. Anyone entering that zone last year must have been stopped on multiple occasions and probably regretted making the trip!

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by Pumpkin » 16 Mar 2004, 20:20

Thanks for sharing my view, Jon, awetsock.

habu2, asif, I guess life was never the same since 9/11.... We adjust and move on. I am sure there're alternative places to appreciate how the birds soar.

cheers, :)
Desmond

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by habu2 » 16 Mar 2004, 20:48

At DFW airport in Texas they have a dedicated spot to watch airplanes from. A raised hill, parking, and a speaker broadcasting the tower communications. I haven't been there but it is suposed to be nice. No military aircraft though...

F-16.net Editor
F-16.net Editor

by Jon » 17 Mar 2004, 14:50

Before 9/11, the Dover AFB museum was between the runways. Yes, between the runways. That was incredible. Dover also got a lot of transports from all over the world. I've seen RSAF C-130's. But I've never seen pictures there that were not foggy or overcast. Does anyone know if that museum has since re-oponed?

Jon

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by habu2 » 17 Mar 2004, 16:43

Next