Second “Adir” Squadron Becomes Operational

F-35 unit & base selection, delivery, activation
Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 10 Aug 2020, 03:46

Second “Adir” Squadron Becomes Operational
06 Aug 2020 Shira Pansky

"After six months of intensive preparations, the 116th (“Lions of the South”) Squadron, the IAF’s second “Adir” (F-35I) squadron, has officially become operational. From now on, its personnel will take an active part in the IAF’s operational activity.

About six months ago, the 116th ("Lions of the South") Squadron's personnel stood proudly as four "Adir" (F-35I) fighter jets flew over them. The date was January 16, 2020, the opening of the second squadron to operate the most advanced aircraft in the IAF. Today (Thursday), the squadron marked another milestone and officially became operational. From now on, the "Lions of the South" are ready to take part in the IAF's extensive operational activity.

Facing the Unknown
Before being announced as operational, the squadron was required to undergo a long process, during which it gained experience in various fields - everything from defining training processes to planning the squadron's tactics. For the last six months, the squadron's personnel were met with the various scenarios that they were required to face as part of their preparation for the operational fitness inspection that took place this week - they will be prepared for real situations. "The operational fitness inspection provides an official seal of approval for the operational capability of the 116th Squadron to carry out all the missions of the ‘Adir' division. The squadron's tasks include its management during routine and periods of war, as well as maintaining functional continuity", explained Maj. Edi, the squadron's technical officer.

The 116th Squadron's personnel were not exposed in advance to the scenarios they had to face as part of the test week, just as during combat they will not always be able to anticipate what will happen. "The inspection simulated the operational arena and the current regional tensions. Several scenarios led to a simulated war on all fronts, and aircrew members took off for missions in all of Israel's regions", shared Maj. G, leader of the operational fitness inspection and aircrew member in the squadron....

...It All Comes Down To This
The operational fitness inspection simulated 72 hours of intensive combat. "We worked 24 hours a day, nonstop", described Maj. Edi. "Soldiers, officers and NCOs alike, worked for 16 hours a day and rested for the remaining eight. The squadron operated in shifts, to simulate its activity during warfare"...."

Source: https://www.iaf.org.il/9285-52345-en/IAF.aspx

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by weasel1962 » 01 Jul 2021, 10:31

3rd ADIR sqn becomes operational (117, after 140 & 116). 4th in the works.
https://www.israelhayom.com/2021/07/01/ ... erational/

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 05 Jul 2021, 19:18

Israel stands up new ‘Adir' squadron
05 Jul 2021 Gareth Jennings

"Israel has stood up a third unit to field the Lockheed Martin F-35I ‘Adir' combat aircraft, the service announced on 1 July.

117 ‘First Jet' Squadron has been reactivated as an F-35I training unit, ahead of it becoming an operational squadron at a later date.

As with the IAF's two existing operational F-35I units – 140 Sqn ‘Golden Eagle' and 116 Sqn ‘Defenders of the South' – 117 Sqn is located at Nevatim Air Base (also known as 28 Air Base) in southern Israel's Negev Desert. All three units form the IAF's Adir Division.

As noted by the IAF, 117 Sqn has received two F-35I aircraft to date. “The squadron's first designation will be to train IAF pilots to operate the F-35I,” the service said. “The squadron will also act as a training centre for the Adir Division's operational squadrons.”

In the coming decade, 117 squadron will become an operational squadron in the division.

From Nevatim, the IAF's F-35s will have an unrefuelled strike range that includes large swathes of the Middle East, while with aerial refuelling its range is largely limited by the endurance of the pilot. While the IAF has not commented on ‘Adir' operations officially, the type is reported to have already undertaken a number of combat operations throughout the region."

Photo: "Though currently an F-35I training unit, the newly reconstituted 117 Squadron will become an operational unit later this decade. (Israeli Air Force)" https://www.janes.com/images/default-so ... -12925.jpg

Source: https://www.janes.com/defence-news/news ... r-squadron
Attachments
F-35iSquadronTAIL117israel.jpg
F-35iSquadronTAIL117israelZOOM.jpg

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by doge » 07 Jul 2021, 14:21

From the IAF official website. 8) Half of F-35I training is in simulators, it written. :shock: WoW.
https://www.iaf.org.il/9333-53242-en/IAF.aspx
The 117th Squadron has Reopened
Release date 04.07.2021 Shira Pansky and Yasmin Dror | Photography: Amit Agronov
A new era in the Israeli Air Force: less than a year since it closed, the 117th ("First Jet") Squadron has reopened last week (Thursday) as a training squadron in the IAF's "Adir" Division
With the foundations laid, the vision and mission set, and the personnel carefully selected, the 117th Squadron is ready to embark on a new journey. Last week (Thursday), a chapter in the IAF's history commenced with the reopening of the 117th ("First Jet") Squadron as a first-of-a-kind training squadron in the IAF's "Adir" (F-35I) Division. In the future, the squadron will become an operational squadron in the "Adir" Division. The squadron's new symbol was presented in a festive ceremony led by IAF Commander, Maj. Gen. Amikam Norkin along with the squadron's former and current service members. "68 years and two weeks ago today, the squadron's personnel stood on the parade ground and received the IAF's first two jet aircraft. Today, seven decades and 33 commanders later, we proudly unveil the squadron's flag once again, and I appoint you, N., as its commander", said the IAF commander at the ceremony.

A New Chapter
"The idea behind the decision is utilizing the operational capabilities of the F-35 division to the fullest while developing innovative concepts of airpower and maintaining a high level of expertise and professionalism of technicians and aircrew members", the IAF Commander continued. "Israel's first Prime Minister was the one to welcome the 117th squadron's first pair of aircraft and recognize the immense potential in an aerial force. He also coined the phrase 'It is in the Negev that the people of Israel will be tested'. Today, both actions happen - we are reestablishing the 117th squadron at Nevatim AFB in the Negev. Now, the responsibility is yours, and I have full confidence in all of you".
"Today marks the beginning of a new chapter in the history of the 117th squadron. A squadron with a rich legacy that operated for nearly seven decades, fought in all of Israel's wars, and performed sensitive operational missions until the very moment when it closed. A squadron that proudly carries the values of pioneering and originality", said Commander of Nevatim AFB, Brig. Gen. Omer Tishler, during the ceremony. "This step makes our vision into a reality. These days, the 'Adir' division performs a wide variety of operational missions in various arenas, leads groundbreaking international cooperation, and enhances the IAF's operational capabilities. You all are ready to begin your journey and take on the great responsibility that is training generations of aircrew members. The entire squadron's personnel are behind you as well as the men and women of Nevatim. I have no doubt that together, you will write new chapters in the squadron's history and act as a pillar of innovation and professionalism for the entire IAF. Good luck".
Bridget Lauderdale, Vice president and General Manager of the F-35 Lightning II Program at Lockheed Martin, said the following in honor of the historic occasion: "At Lockheed Martin, we cherish and appreciate the longstanding relationship with the State of Israel and the Israeli Air Force. It is our honor to participate in the re-opening of the 117th, and it's exciting to see the rich legacy of the squadron extended through the unique operational training capabilities it will bring to 'Adir' pilots. The IAF is not only an international pioneer in the F-35 program, but also a global leader in teaching other air forces how to operate the aircraft".

Looking to the Future
The decision to establish a fifth-generation training squadron was not self-evident. "The foundations for creating an independent unit that trains and certifies 'Adir' (F-35I) pilots were set back when the first 'Adir' squadron was established, but a decision was made to hold off on the process at the time", said Lt. Col. N, commander of the 117th squadron founding team. "After reevaluating the future of the IAF's fifth-generation division, it was decided to open the squadron. The next decision that remained - which squadron will be selected for the task?".
At the end of last September, with the closing of the 117th Squadron after nearly seven decades of distinguished operational activity, the IAF Commander decided to reopen it, this time as an "Adir"(F-35I) squadron. The planning was carried out in less than a year - a relatively short period for the reestablishment of a squadron. "The greatest challenge is forming an organized work plan. That said, we understand that the process doesn't end at the opening ceremony", continued Lt. Col. N. "When reopening a squadron, you inherit far more than just its number or its name. The squadron brings with it a rich history, veteran service members, bereaved families, and many stories and symbols that represent its past".
So what exactly what will be the purpose of the new squadron? The squadron's first designation will be to train IAF pilots to operate the F-35I. "The training course will include familiarization with the aircraft's advanced parts and systems, simulator flights, ground drills, and training sorties", explained Maj. A, commander of the "Adir" transition course. "The course instructors have all been certified to teach the fundamentals of operating the 'Adir'. The new squadron significantly enhances the quality of training, which directly impacts the quality of the division's operational squadrons".
The squadron will also act as a training center for the "Adir" Division's operational squadrons. "Roughly half of the training an F-35I pilot undergoes happens in a simulator", said Lt. Col. N. "Up until this point, the simulator has operated out of the 140th squadron, but it will now become part of the 117th - a squadron that specializes in training. This will allow pilots to maintain and improve operational fitness while developing new capabilities, and introducing new technologies. Additionally, the squadron will act as a great source of knowledge in the field of fifth-generation aircraft".

A Rich Legacy
"We aspire to become a squadron that prioritizes the high standards and professionalism of the IAF. The concept of a training squadron operating the force's most operationally advanced platform is an inventive idea that's being carried out for the first time. Accordingly, one of our missions is to succeed in creating new and innovative forms of instruction and pilot training", continues Maj. N. "At the same time, it's important to combine between these values of progress and the rich combat heritage of the squadron - we will educate the future generation based upon the foundations of the previous one while emphasizing the significant role the 'First Jet' squadron partook in shaping the IAF's history".
The squadron's symbol was revamped and adjusted to suit fifth-generation aspects, while maintaining its original attributes. "We researched the symbol's origins in an attempt to understand each individual element. As part of the remodeling process, we consulted with senior personnel from the squadron and the IAF as well as with the squadron's founding team", explains Lt. Col. N. "We've preserved the color red that symbolized the squadron for many years. The black background represents the stealth capabilities and clandestine activity of the F-35I division. We also kept its original shape - an Israeli reticle on an enemy aircraft. In addition, we added a three-dimensional element since the 'Adir' is a multirole fighter that takes part in the multidimensional fighting effort. At the lower part of the symbol are decorations that resemble a shooting star, symbolizing the historic connection of the squadron to the Meteor aircraft that gave its name. Furthermore, the bottom decoration contains 5 lines and the digit '5' in roman numerals, symbolizing the transition to fifth-generation fighter jets".
In honor of the historic reopening, the symbol of the 117th squadron was painted on two "Adir" aircraft. In the meantime, these aircraft will be operated by the technical departments of the IAF's two currently operational F-35I squadrons - the 116th and 140th. In the coming decade, the 117th squadron will establish independent departments and will become an operational squadron in the division. Currently, however, the squadron's personnel focus on taking the first steps and turning the squadron into an important instruction center and an invaluable source of knowledge. "It is a great honor to take part in this significant event", concludes Lt. Col. N. "It's a privilege to be part of the establishment of the first training squadron in the 'Adir' division. We get to make an impact and influence the process hands-on, from within the cockpit".