Vermont Air Guard 1st ANG F-35 Unit Green Mountain Boys

F-35 unit & base selection, delivery, activation

by GooseGoose » 17 Dec 2013, 13:12

My former F-16C 83-1150 pilot,now Adjutant General,Steven Cray of the Vermont National Guard announced that The Green Mountain Boys would receive the F-35 Lightning II. My former coworkers are in the background. The greatest TEAM I served with on the planet.

http://www.burlingtonfreepresss.com/app ... 3131203019

F-16.net Webmaster
F-16.net Webmaster

by Lieven » 17 Dec 2013, 14:15

We now also announced it in this article First ANG base to host the F-35A Lightning IIs

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 18 Dec 2013, 05:35

GooseGoose wrote:My former F-16C 83-1150 pilot,now Adjutant General,Steven Cray of the Vermont National Guard announced that The Green Mountain Boys would receive the F-35 Lightning II. My former coworkers are in the background. The greatest TEAM I served with on the planet.

http://www.burlingtonfreepresss.com/app ... 3131203019

Congrats and Big Win for the VANG! :salute:

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by lumpulus » 20 Dec 2013, 18:03

Great news for VTANG...I've already started a Kitty Hawk 1/48 F-35A in VT marking! :D

F-16.net Editor
F-16.net Editor

by Jon » 14 Mar 2014, 12:56

lumpulus wrote:Great news for VTANG...I've already started a Kitty Hawk 1/48 F-35A in VT marking! :D

You should send photos of your model to the squadron. Someone did a model of an F-16 prior to the 149th Fighter Squadron converting from A-7D to F-16C/D and they liked the model so much that the used it for the design of their F-16 markings.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by lumpulus » 31 Mar 2014, 00:23

Already in the works, Jon, but thanks....I built a 16 model for the Vice Commander(now the Wing Commander) last year and he's aware I'm working the 35 already. ;)

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 06 Apr 2016, 15:10

NIMBY protesters are making noise that seems disingenuous to say the least - and from a former USAF Colonel?
"...A pending lawsuit seeks to block or delay stationing the jets in Burlington. Stop the F-35 Coalition member Roseanne Greco is former chair of the South Burlington City Council and a retired Air Force Colonel. She was shocked that the F-35 schedule was accelerated. “In all of the reports it’s showing that it’s so far behind schedule and falling even more behind schedule because of all the problems they’re experiencing with it, many of which are safety related, I anticipated that the F-35 would not be operational for quite a few years much less deployed in the near future.”

Greco claims the F-35 has an unreliable safety record and should not be placed in the Burlington area. “When we have had new generation aircraft the Air Force has never based them first in a populated area. They based them at Air Force bases generally in remote areas. Why? Because they’re not reliable yet. But they’re breaking precedent now because of political pressure and are putting them in a populated area. We are the wrong location for the first basing of the F-35’s.”...
Air Force Accelerates F-35 Deployment To Vermont Air Guard
06 Apr 2016 Pat Bradley

"The Vermont Air National Guard will take delivery of its first F-35 fighter planes in 2019, a year earlier than originally planned. People in Burlington are paying close attention to the move.

The Air Force announced on Monday that two squadrons of F-35s would be stationed at Eielson Air Force Base in Alaska. The notice that the Vermont Air Guard would receive the jets on an accelerated schedule was included in a sidebar to that announcement. Air Force Lieutenant General John Cooper said slightly accelerating the delivery of the F-35s to the fall of 2019 instead of 2020 allows the Air Force to capitalize on the Vermont Guard’s “…experienced fighter aircraft maintenance force…”

...General Clark calls the F-35 the future of the Vermont Air Guard. “We will receive a couple jets in the fall of 2019 and then the schedule from there on is something we will work with the Air Force and we’ll have more detail on that as time gets closer. The F-16’s will leave before the F-35’s get here so that timeline would be adjusted accordingly. There are no Vermont Air National Guard pilots that have gone to start learning to fly the F-35. As far as getting people off to school and so on it may change some of their dates but there’s still enough time because we have three and a half years to get all that accomplished.”..."

Source: http://wamc.org/post/air-force-accelera ... -air-guard

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 29 Aug 2016, 00:31

This saga is nearing it's end, finally.

http://www.wptz.com/news/f35-fighter-je ... n/41144720

F-35 fighter jets get green light for Burlington area
Federal judge rules in favor of Vermont Air National Guard program

BURLINGTON, Vt. —A federal judge in Vermont has ruled that a U.S. Air Force environmental impact statement is sufficient to allow F-35 fighter jets to be based in the Burlington area beginning in 2019.

U.S. District Judge Geoffrey Crawford issued the decision Wednesday in a lawsuit brought by the Stop the F-35 Coalition and six Chittenden County residents
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by XanderCrews » 29 Aug 2016, 01:15

popcorn wrote:This saga is nearing it's end, finally.

http://www.wptz.com/news/f35-fighter-je ... n/41144720

F-35 fighter jets get green light for Burlington area
Federal judge rules in favor of Vermont Air National Guard program

BURLINGTON, Vt. —A federal judge in Vermont has ruled that a U.S. Air Force environmental impact statement is sufficient to allow F-35 fighter jets to be based in the Burlington area beginning in 2019.

U.S. District Judge Geoffrey Crawford issued the decision Wednesday in a lawsuit brought by the Stop the F-35 Coalition and six Chittenden County residents

Nice update thank you
Choose Crews

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 28 Mar 2018, 22:17

Council Approves Resolution Asking to Cancel F-35 Basing
27 Mar 2018 AP

"Vermont's Congressional delegation is standing by its decision to support basing F-35 jets at the Burlington Air National Guard Base as the City Council voted to request a cancellation....

...The Burlington City Council resolution vote passed 9-3 Monday, after a ballot item asked that the F-35s to not be based in Burlington. The resolution requests that the Air Force base an aircraft quieter than the F-35 in Burlington.

The Vermont Air Guard said previously there is no alternative and that the F-35s would arrive in Burlington next fall. Independent Sen. Bernie Sanders, Democratic Sen. Patrick Leahy and Democratic Rep. Peter Welch said Monday the Guard will work with the community on aircraft basing concerns. The resolution now goes to Democratic Mayor Miro Weinberger for approval."

Source: https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states ... -35-basing

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 17 Sep 2019, 05:16

Vermont Air Guard to receive first 2 F-35s this week
16 Sep 2019 GreenWitchTime

"SOUTH BURLINGTON, Vt. (AP) — The Vermont Air National Guard is expected to take delivery of its first two F-35 fighter aircraft this week. Officials at the Burlington International Airport aren't sure yet which day they will arrive.

The two Vermont pilots who will fly the planes from Texas to the South Burlington airport are scheduled to leave Vermont on Tuesday. The guard is due to receive 20 of the planes that are replacing the F-16 fighter planes the air guard flew for decades.

A number of locals oppose the basing of the F-35s in Vermont. They cite the noise the planes will make when taking off and the danger of a new weapons system being based at the Vermont airport, which is located amid residential and industrial neighborhoods."

Source: https://www.greenwichtime.com/news/arti ... 442828.php

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by afjag » 18 Sep 2019, 19:38

The first two are scheduled to arrive tomorrow (9/19/19).

https://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/sto ... 364527001/

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 19 Sep 2019, 04:38

popcorn wrote:

QUOTE:

However, not all are happy with the ruling. The leader of the Stop the F-35 Coalition, Rosanne Greco, said she is disappointed but not surprised.

They brought the lawsuit to get more information about the jets possible impacts, and she said now, the public will not be able to make an informed decision.

"We are fighting it because it's a social justice issue and because the lives of thousands of Vermonters actually are at risk here. Not just because of the safety issues, but it is incredibly loud, four times louder than the F-16's, which will affect peoples health, property values, and overall quality of life. All those things are worth fighting for," Greco said.

LOL :lmao:

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by afjag » 19 Sep 2019, 11:52

I wonder sometimes if "environmental issues" are really a proxy for people's anti-military stance that they dont really want to admit to.

I havent looked at the EIS, but did the EIS discuss the noise issues that are being raised?

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 19 Sep 2019, 13:41

afjag wrote:I wonder sometimes if "environmental issues" are really a proxy for people's anti-military stance that they dont really want to admit to. I havent looked at the EIS, but did the EIS discuss the noise issues that are being raised?

Google using these words for example: Burlington Vermont EIS F-35

First result: https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... ume-1.html

PDF of it: https://assets.documentcloud.org/docume ... lume-1.pdf (45.5Mb)

Other google results show current HOOhaa about the noise - I don't hear it over here so I'm not so interested. :roll:

14 page PDF attached shows just an index for the BurleyNoiseMakers with NOISE INFO not specific to burleytown.
Attachments
NOISE f-35-final-eis-volume-1 pp14.pdf
(606.3 KiB) Downloaded 1344 times

Next