FY2018 Budget Details

Program progress, politics, orders, and speculation
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

SpudmanWP

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

  • Posts: 6959
  • Joined: 12 Oct 2006, 19:18
  • Location: California

Unread post23 May 2017, 19:51

FY2018 docs are starting to post.

USNavy: http://www.secnav.navy.mil/fmc/fmb/Page ... -2018.aspx

F-35C: 4 ordered with a REC Flyaway of $108 mil, a 8.8% drop from last year's order of 4.

F-35B: 20 ordered with a REC Flyaway of $110.3 mil, a 7.6% drop from last year's order of 16.

USAF: http://www.saffm.hq.af.mil/Budget/Air-F ... dget-FY18/

F-35A: 46 ordered with a REC Flyaway of $92.1 mil, a 5.3% drop from last year's order of 48.

Updates to come

--Tech Refresh 3 details (part of Block 4.2):
Technology Refresh 3 (TR-3) Design Competition, Development, Integration, and Test. This is the design phase of TR-3 program fully supports Block 3F functionality and allows incorporation of all Block 4 capabilities documented in the System Requirements Document (SRD). TR-3 hardware redesign is required to support 4X processing growth factor based on the current processing estimates for all 3F capabilities. Redesign of TR-3 subsystems (Integrated Core Processor (ICP), Aircraft Memory System (AMS), and Panoramic Cockpit Display (PCD)) configurations will contain new backplane technology, commercial operating systems, and modified middleware necessary to take the design of the TR-3 System through Critical Design Review (CDR).

FY 2016 Accomplishments:
TR-3 Program produced 5 government-owned specifications to inform the new F-35 avionics hardware redesign
required to support 4X processing growth factor based on current processing estimates for all 3F capabilities.

Block 4.1 Fleet Availability - 3rd Quarter FY2020
Block 4.2 (with Tech Refresh 3) Fleet Availability - 4th Quarter FY2022


UIA (Universal Armament Interface) going International
Supporting multinational Memorandum of Understanding including but not limited to Joint Strike Missile (JSM), SPEAR 3 and Stand Off Missile - Joint (SOM-J).



I understand the whole new ICD, backplane, etc to increase processing power... But I wonder what the new PCD (main Display) is for (4k :roll: )?
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."
Offline

wolfpak

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

  • Posts: 71
  • Joined: 12 Jan 2014, 19:26

Unread post24 May 2017, 00:39

Will FY 2018 aircraft be 3F or 4.1? I'm assuming it will take two years to get them out the door at the plant from receipt of order.
Offline
User avatar

spazsinbad

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

  • Posts: 19360
  • Joined: 05 May 2009, 21:31
  • Location: ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Warnings: -2

Unread post24 May 2017, 01:43

SpudmanWP wrote:Updates to come
--Tech Refresh 3 details (part of Block 4.2):
Technology Refresh 3 (TR-3) Design Competition, Development, Integration, and Test. This is the design phase of TR-3 program fully supports Block 3F functionality and allows incorporation of all Block 4 capabilities documented in the System Requirements Document (SRD). TR-3 hardware redesign is required to support 4X processing growth factor based on the current processing estimates for all 3F capabilities. Redesign of TR-3 subsystems (Integrated Core Processor (ICP), Aircraft Memory System (AMS), and Panoramic Cockpit Display (PCD)) configurations will contain new backplane technology, commercial operating systems, and modified middleware necessary to take the design of the TR-3 System through Critical Design Review (CDR)."


I understand the whole new ICD, backplane, etc to increase processing power... But I wonder what the new PCD (main Display) is for (4k :roll: )?

My GUESS would be this effort from two years ago now: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=16223&p=285459&hilit=contract#p285459
F-35 Display Improvement Air Force SBIR 2015.1 - Topic AF151-020
Opens: January 15, 2015 - Closes: February 25, 2015

"TECHNOLOGY AREAS: Air Platform AF151-020 F-35 Display Improvement
...OBJECTIVE: Develop displays for F-35 that have higher refresh rate, resolution, and brightness, with improved touch screens, optimized power/thermal management, and lower weight...." [MUCH MORE INFO AT Forum JUMP above]

Source: http://www.zyn.com/sbir/sbres/sbir/dod/af/af151-020.htm
RAN FAA A4G Skyhawk 1970s: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ AND https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/
Offline
User avatar

spazsinbad

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

  • Posts: 19360
  • Joined: 05 May 2009, 21:31
  • Location: ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Warnings: -2

Unread post24 May 2017, 02:14

DoN $180B Budget Request Emphasizes Readiness; Reduces Spending on Ships, Aircraft
23 May 2017 Sam LaGrone

"THE PENTAGON – The Department of the Navy’s $180-billion budget request sets out to improve overall readiness of the Navy and the Marine Corps while making only modest asks for new aircraft and ships....

...The service is also making a modest aviation buy, requesting about $1 billion, or 7 percent, less than the FY 2017 enacted budget.

The $15.2-billion budget pays for four F-35C carrier variant Joint Strike Fighters – two less than planned – and 20 F-35B of the Marine Corps’ short-takeoff and vertical-landing variant, for a total of $3.7 billion in JSF expenditure. Rounding out tactical aviation, the Navy is set to buy 14 F/A-18E/F Super Hornets.

Luther said the reduction in the F-35C totals routed more money to personnel, equipment, logistics and more for the F-35C to keep its initial operational capability declaration on track.

“We had to make hard choices. We maintained the readiness accounts and we had to balance somewhere,” Luther said.
“We tried to hold the line the best we could in our procurement accounts… but reducing two F-35s allowed us to maintain the IOC in ’18 for the F-35C.”...

...The Navy will also start procurement of the first six CMV-22B Osprey the service intends to use to replace its current crop of C-2A Greyhound Carrier Onboard Delivery aircraft....

...The Navy has set aside $222 million for the carrier-based MQ-25A Stingray unmanned aerial refueling tanker program...."

Source: https://news.usni.org/2017/05/23/don-18 ... s-aircraft
RAN FAA A4G Skyhawk 1970s: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ AND https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/
Offline
User avatar

spazsinbad

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

  • Posts: 19360
  • Joined: 05 May 2009, 21:31
  • Location: ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Warnings: -2

Unread post24 May 2017, 02:31

No New Ships: Trump Cuts Navy Shipbuilding, Aircraft Procurement
23 May 2017 By Sydney J. Freedberg Jr.

"...Aircraft & Other Procurement
Aircraft procurement also drops, by more than $1.5 billion, from $16.8 billion enacted in 2017 to $15.2 billion in 2018. The number of aircraft being bought goes down as well, from 113 to 91 — in fact, it’s below the Obama plan for 2017, 99 aircraft. That said, many of this year’s planes are high-cost, high-tech, high performance fighters: 24 F-35 Joint Strike Fighters (both Marine Corps F-35Bs and Navy C-models) and 14 F/A-18E/F Super Hornets. The Navy had planned on two more F-35Cs but it decided it could cut them to save money for readiness — spare parts, ground crews, engineers — without jeopardizing the C-models’ formal Initial Operational Capability (IOC) in 2019...."

Source: http://breakingdefense.com/2017/05/no-n ... ocurement/
RAN FAA A4G Skyhawk 1970s: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ AND https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/
Offline
User avatar

spazsinbad

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

  • Posts: 19360
  • Joined: 05 May 2009, 21:31
  • Location: ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Warnings: -2

Unread post24 May 2017, 03:41

No USAF F-35 Surge in 2018 Budget
24 May 2017 John Tirpak

"A boost in the number of new F-35 fighters the Air Force buys didn’t materialize the service’s Fiscal 2018 budget request. In fact, the number of F-35s to be bought in FY18 will be two less than in the enacted Fiscal 2017 budget.

According to Air Force budget charts, the FY18 budget includes just 46 F-35As, down two from the 48 funded in FY17 and down one from Fiscal 2016’s level of 47....

...The Air Force did not explain the lack of a plus in the F-35 category and the Pentagon didn’t give out-year production numbers in budget briefings Tuesday. However, in written testimony for the house Armed Services Committee in February, Maj. Gen. Jerry Harris, deputy chief of staff for strategic plans, programs, and requirements, said the service might be better off waiting until 2021 to surge production of the F-35, because that’s when the first “Block IV” versions of the jet will start rolling off the production line.

Buying too many too soon would hand the Air Force a big modification bill to convert earlier-model jets to Block IV standard, Harris wrote. By 2021, he added, “we should examine the option of accelerating the F-35A program, above the current procurement rate.”

He forecast just 48 F-35As for the Air Force through 2022, when previous budgets had projected reaching 60 a year by that point. Harris’s numbers jibe with those contained in a Government Accountability Office report on the F-35 released last month. In it, a chart based on “GAO analysis of Department of Defense data” showed USAF buying only 46-48 F-35s in Fiscal 2018 and essentially staying flat at that rate until 2021, when there would be a jump to around 60.

F-35 program officials have said the slow ramp rate for the Air Force won’t translate to higher unit costs, since the program is about to see a sharp uptick in jets built for international partners and Foreign Military Sales. The so-called international “block buy” of F-35s beyond 2018 will maintain sufficient volume to allow unit costs to decrease below $80 million per copy in 2019."

Source: http://www.airforcemag.com/Features/Pag ... udget.aspx
RAN FAA A4G Skyhawk 1970s: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ AND https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/
Offline
User avatar

playloud

Active Member

Active Member

  • Posts: 184
  • Joined: 13 Nov 2006, 04:07

Unread post24 May 2017, 04:29

spazsinbad wrote:
No USAF F-35 Surge in 2018 Budget
24 May 2017 John Tirpak

"A boost in the number of new F-35 fighters the Air Force buys didn’t materialize the service’s Fiscal 2018 budget request. In fact, the number of F-35s to be bought in FY18 will be two less than in the enacted Fiscal 2017 budget.

According to Air Force budget charts, the FY18 budget includes just 46 F-35As, down two from the 48 funded in FY17 and down one from Fiscal 2016’s level of 47....

...The Air Force did not explain the lack of a plus in the F-35 category and the Pentagon didn’t give out-year production numbers in budget briefings Tuesday. However, in written testimony for the house Armed Services Committee in February, Maj. Gen. Jerry Harris, deputy chief of staff for strategic plans, programs, and requirements, said the service might be better off waiting until 2021 to surge production of the F-35, because that’s when the first “Block IV” versions of the jet will start rolling off the production line.

Buying too many too soon would hand the Air Force a big modification bill to convert earlier-model jets to Block IV standard, Harris wrote. By 2021, he added, “we should examine the option of accelerating the F-35A program, above the current procurement rate.”

He forecast just 48 F-35As for the Air Force through 2022, when previous budgets had projected reaching 60 a year by that point. Harris’s numbers jibe with those contained in a Government Accountability Office report on the F-35 released last month. In it, a chart based on “GAO analysis of Department of Defense data” showed USAF buying only 46-48 F-35s in Fiscal 2018 and essentially staying flat at that rate until 2021, when there would be a jump to around 60.

F-35 program officials have said the slow ramp rate for the Air Force won’t translate to higher unit costs, since the program is about to see a sharp uptick in jets built for international partners and Foreign Military Sales. The so-called international “block buy” of F-35s beyond 2018 will maintain sufficient volume to allow unit costs to decrease below $80 million per copy in 2019."

Source: http://www.airforcemag.com/Features/Pag ... udget.aspx

I thought not upping until 2021 was already the plan, per the SAR. However, after a year of 60, it is supposed to jump to 80 per year until 2038. If they don't ramp up past 60, production would have to go a lot longer to eventually at 1763.

2007 - USAF=2 : USN/USMC=0 : Total=2
2008 - USAF=6 : USN/USMC=6 : Total=12
2009 - USAF=7 : USN/USMC=7 : Total=14
2010 - USAF=10 : USN/USMC=20 : Total=30
2011 - USAF=22 : USN/USMC=10 : Total=32
2012 - USAF=18 : USN/USMC=13 : Total=31
2013 - USAF=19 : USN/USMC=10 : Total=29
2014 - USAF=19 : USN/USMC=10 : Total=29
2015 - USAF=28 : USN/USMC=10 : Total=38
2016 - USAF=47 : USN/USMC=21 : Total=68
2017 - USAF=43 : USN/USMC=20 : Total=63
2018 - USAF=44 : USN/USMC=26 : Total=70
2019 - USAF=48 : USN/USMC=32 : Total=80
2020 - USAF=48 : USN/USMC=38 : Total=86
2021 - USAF=60 : USN/USMC=45 : Total=105
2022 - USAF=80 : USN/USMC=45 : Total=125
2023 - USAF=80 : USN/USMC=45 : Total=125
2024 - USAF=80 : USN/USMC=45 : Total=125
2025 - USAF=80 : USN/USMC=45 : Total=125
2026 - USAF=80 : USN/USMC=45 : Total=125
2027 - USAF=80 : USN/USMC=45 : Total=125
2028 - USAF=80 : USN/USMC=45 : Total=125
2029 - USAF=80 : USN/USMC=45 : Total=125
2030 - USAF=80 : USN/USMC=28 : Total=108
2031 - USAF=80 : USN/USMC=24 : Total=104
2032 - USAF=80 : USN/USMC=0 : Total=80
2033 - USAF=80 : USN/USMC=0 : Total=80
2034 - USAF=80 : USN/USMC=0 : Total=80
2035 - USAF=80 : USN/USMC=0 : Total=80
2036 - USAF=80 : USN/USMC=0 : Total=80
2037 - USAF=80 : USN/USMC=0 : Total=80
2038 - USAF=62 : USN/USMC=0 : Total=62

Total - USAF=1763 : USN/USMC=680
Grand Total = 2443
Offline

Corsair1963

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

  • Posts: 3789
  • Joined: 19 Dec 2005, 04:14

Unread post24 May 2017, 05:54

spazsinbad wrote:
No USAF F-35 Surge in 2018 Budget
24 May 2017 John Tirpak

"A boost in the number of new F-35 fighters the Air Force buys didn’t materialize the service’s Fiscal 2018 budget request. In fact, the number of F-35s to be bought in FY18 will be two less than in the enacted Fiscal 2017 budget.

According to Air Force budget charts, the FY18 budget includes just 46 F-35As, down two from the 48 funded in FY17 and down one from Fiscal 2016’s level of 47....

...The Air Force did not explain the lack of a plus in the F-35 category and the Pentagon didn’t give out-year production numbers in budget briefings Tuesday. However, in written testimony for the house Armed Services Committee in February, Maj. Gen. Jerry Harris, deputy chief of staff for strategic plans, programs, and requirements, said the service might be better off waiting until 2021 to surge production of the F-35, because that’s when the first “Block IV” versions of the jet will start rolling off the production line.

Buying too many too soon would hand the Air Force a big modification bill to convert earlier-model jets to Block IV standard, Harris wrote. By 2021, he added, “we should examine the option of accelerating the F-35A program, above the current procurement rate.”

He forecast just 48 F-35As for the Air Force through 2022, when previous budgets had projected reaching 60 a year by that point. Harris’s numbers jibe with those contained in a Government Accountability Office report on the F-35 released last month. In it, a chart based on “GAO analysis of Department of Defense data” showed USAF buying only 46-48 F-35s in Fiscal 2018 and essentially staying flat at that rate until 2021, when there would be a jump to around 60.

F-35 program officials have said the slow ramp rate for the Air Force won’t translate to higher unit costs, since the program is about to see a sharp uptick in jets built for international partners and Foreign Military Sales. The so-called international “block buy” of F-35s beyond 2018 will maintain sufficient volume to allow unit costs to decrease below $80 million per copy in 2019."

Source: http://www.airforcemag.com/Features/Pag ... udget.aspx



Odds are the US Congress will fund more F-35's not less. Regardless, of the merits of the DOD case..... :wink:
Offline
User avatar

spazsinbad

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

  • Posts: 19360
  • Joined: 05 May 2009, 21:31
  • Location: ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Warnings: -2

Unread post24 May 2017, 16:07

F-35 remains on track in Trump request
24 May 2017 Leigh Giangreco

"With a Defense Department review of Lockheed Martin F-35 and Boeing F/A-18 Super Hornet still ongoing, procurement for the Joint Strike Fighter remained steady in the president’s fiscal year 2018 budget request.

The Defense Department is requesting 70 F-35s this budget cycle, including 46 F-35As for the US Air Force, 20 F-35Bs for the US Marine Corps and four F-35Cs for the US Navy.

The USAF requested 46 F-35As, two more than number forecasted for fiscal year 2018 in the service’s five year defense plan released last year. The air force requested 43 F-35As in its FY17 budget, but Congress granted a total of 48 F-35As in the final FY17 budget.

The US Navy requested four F-35Cs and 20 F-35Bs for the US Marine Corps. The navy decreased its procurement of the carrier variant F-35 in an effort to balance readiness accounts and maintain initial operational capability for the carrier variant in 2018, navy officials say.

“Approximately two more years of system development and demonstration work remain to achieve an operational requirements document compliant Block III configured aircraft,” according to the US Navy’s FY18 budget documents.

The navy is tacking to complete flight tests in 2018 and should achieve initial operational capability between August 2018 and February 2019, according to a F-35 Joint Programme Office spokesman. In December, then JPO executive officer Lt Gen Christopher Bogdan told reporters flight testing would complete sometime between November 2017 and February 2018. If SDD stretches beyond February 2018, the JPO is prepared to take funding from the follow-on modernisation programe and allocate the money for SDD, Bogdan said...."

Source: https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... st-437547/
RAN FAA A4G Skyhawk 1970s: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ AND https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/
Offline
User avatar

spazsinbad

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

  • Posts: 19360
  • Joined: 05 May 2009, 21:31
  • Location: ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Warnings: -2

Unread post28 Jun 2017, 01:42

:devil: One day youse ameriKans will figure out your budget and then OMG along will come another one - fahgeddaboutit. :devil:
US House panel approves more aircraft in budget plan
27 Jun 2017 Stephen Trimble

"...Meanwhile, the House subcommittee wants the Pentagon to buy two dozen more fighters, including 14 more Lockheed Martin F-35s and 10 more Boeing F/A-18E/Fs than Trump requested. If approved, the subcommittee’s version of the bill would raise the overall number of fighters procured in FY2018 to 108, including 84 F-35s and 24 F/A-18E/Fs...."

Source: https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... an-438826/
RAN FAA A4G Skyhawk 1970s: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ AND https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/
Offline
User avatar

spazsinbad

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

  • Posts: 19360
  • Joined: 05 May 2009, 21:31
  • Location: ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Warnings: -2

Unread post29 Jun 2017, 03:10

SHIP AHOY - LIGHT USN Aircraft Carrier on COLLISION COURSE? Probably not but hey will give the USN something to knock.
Senate Armed Services Bill Directs Navy to Start a Preliminary Design Effort for a Light Carrier, Pluses Up Shipbuilding Totals Over Trump Budget
28 Jun 2017 Sam LaGrone

"...In aviation, the bill almost doubled the Pentagon’s request for F/A-18E/F Super Hornets fighters to 24 for $1.9 billion. The SASC calls for $2.3 billion for 13 P-8A Poseidon maritime surveillance aircraft. The bill also calls for $2.9 billion to buy 24 F-35B Lighting II Joint Strike Fighters for the Marine Corps and $1.4 billion for ten F-35C Navy variants.

Among one of the largest departures for the SASC, their bill sets aside $30 million for the Navy for a preliminary design effort to create a light carrier for the service.

McCain has been a constant and consistent critic of the Ford-class carrier program and for years has called for an alternative look to the $13-billion price tag for the next-generation hulls. Included in the series of studies the committee asks the Navy to undertake is the question of light carriers’ ability to distribute aviation assets throughout a battlespace.

The most likely scenario would be a modified version of the America-class big-deck amphib that would add two catapults to launch aircraft, similar to World War II-era straight-deck escort carriers. [with F-35Cs? Ya Gotta Be Kiddin' Me! This thing must have an angle deck for flight ops.] The idea would be to give deployed amphibious ready groups greater ability to field a wider variety of logistics and intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) aircraft that would give the groups a better ability to project power, Bryan Clark, author of the Center for Strategic and Budgetary Analysis (CSBA) fleet study, told USNI News earlier this year. The Navy has said it has been looking at alternatives to the larger 100,000-ton carriers but a serious public study has not emerged...."

Soource: https://news.usni.org/2017/06/28/senate ... ump-budget
RAN FAA A4G Skyhawk 1970s: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ AND https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/
Offline

Corsair1963

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

  • Posts: 3789
  • Joined: 19 Dec 2005, 04:14

Unread post29 Jun 2017, 05:20

spazsinbad wrote:SHIP AHOY - LIGHT USN Aircraft Carrier on COLLISION COURSE? Probably not but hey will give the USN something to knock.
Senate Armed Services Bill Directs Navy to Start a Preliminary Design Effort for a Light Carrier, Pluses Up Shipbuilding Totals Over Trump Budget
28 Jun 2017 Sam LaGrone

"...In aviation, the bill almost doubled the Pentagon’s request for F/A-18E/F Super Hornets fighters to 24 for $1.9 billion. The SASC calls for $2.3 billion for 13 P-8A Poseidon maritime surveillance aircraft. The bill also calls for $2.9 billion to buy 24 F-35B Lighting II Joint Strike Fighters for the Marine Corps and $1.4 billion for ten F-35C Navy variants.

Among one of the largest departures for the SASC, their bill sets aside $30 million for the Navy for a preliminary design effort to create a light carrier for the service.

McCain has been a constant and consistent critic of the Ford-class carrier program and for years has called for an alternative look to the $13-billion price tag for the next-generation hulls. Included in the series of studies the committee asks the Navy to undertake is the question of light carriers’ ability to distribute aviation assets throughout a battlespace.

The most likely scenario would be a modified version of the America-class big-deck amphib that would add two catapults to launch aircraft, similar to World War II-era straight-deck escort carriers. [with F-35Cs? Ya Gotta Be Kiddin' Me! This thing must have an angle deck for flight ops.] The idea would be to give deployed amphibious ready groups greater ability to field a wider variety of logistics and intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) aircraft that would give the groups a better ability to project power, Bryan Clark, author of the Center for Strategic and Budgetary Analysis (CSBA) fleet study, told USNI News earlier this year. The Navy has said it has been looking at alternatives to the larger 100,000-ton carriers but a serious public study has not emerged...."

Soource: https://news.usni.org/2017/06/28/senate ... ump-budget


No, this New Proposed "Light Carrier" is not aimed at replacing USN Super Carriers. Which, wouldn't happen on political grounds alone! (i.e. non-starter) No, it's suppose to be a Mid-Sized Carrier. Which, would be dedicated to providing Air Support to USMC Amphibious Forces going ashore!

Think of it as a future replacement for the USS America. (but not based on) Which, was stopped at two ships.....with later models reverting back to LHD's.

Honestly, I don't see a Catapult/Arresting Gear Mid-Sized Carrier as a viable option on cost alone. Yet, maybe a simple ski-jump (STOVL) equipped carrier could be feasible???
Offline
User avatar

spazsinbad

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

  • Posts: 19360
  • Joined: 05 May 2009, 21:31
  • Location: ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Warnings: -2

Unread post29 Jun 2017, 06:09

Nobody said this: "No, this New Proposed "Light Carrier" is not aimed at replacing USN Super Carriers...." I see it as has been proposed to add to the fleet. Perhaps large CVN builds would be slowed down meantime. Way above my paygrade.
RAN FAA A4G Skyhawk 1970s: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ AND https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/
Offline

Corsair1963

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

  • Posts: 3789
  • Joined: 19 Dec 2005, 04:14

Unread post29 Jun 2017, 06:47

spazsinbad wrote:Nobody said this: "No, this New Proposed "Light Carrier" is not aimed at replacing USN Super Carriers...." I see it as has been proposed to add to the fleet. Perhaps large CVN builds would be slowed down meantime. Way above my paygrade.



Actually, the US Congress wants the USN to accelerate the build up of the New Ford Class Carriers. From two per decade to three! Trust me USN Super Carriers aren't going anywhere....
Offline
User avatar

spazsinbad

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

  • Posts: 19360
  • Joined: 05 May 2009, 21:31
  • Location: ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Warnings: -2

Unread post29 Jun 2017, 07:42

Yes I saw that too but did not mention it. However everything is up in the air somewhat until the fat lady sings eh.
RAN FAA A4G Skyhawk 1970s: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ AND https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/
Next

Return to Program and politics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: hornetfinn, tincansailor and 10 guests