Swiss Lightning?

Unread postPosted: 17 Feb 2017, 23:47
by steve2267
Since Switzerland had re-started their Hornet / Tiger II replacement decision-making process, does anyone think the Swiss might opt for the F-35?

Within a year or two, if not already, the F-35A will likely be the least expensive western fighter aircraft available, 4th OR 5th gen. I wouldn't think Washington would object to the Swiss purchasing / operating F-35s.

A little more expensive than the F-35A, the F-35B would seem to make an excellent choice for Switzerland if they want to be able to disperse and operate from roads. Given its geographical size, the Killer Bee should have more than enough range / endurance for the defense of Switzerland.

If they just want to keep things cheap, I'd say look for used Gripens or used F-16s with decent airframe life left to act as an air policing arm, within normal operating hours, 9am-5pm, of course! :poke:

Re: Swiss Lightning?

Unread postPosted: 18 Feb 2017, 00:27
by popcorn
Would love to see them get some B-jets.

Unread postPosted: 18 Feb 2017, 01:47
by arian
steve2267 wrote:Within a year or two, if not already, the F-35A will likely be the least expensive western fighter aircraft available, 4th OR 5th gen.

I have it on good account that the Gripen is the cheapest plane in the world. Also best plane in the world.

Unread postPosted: 18 Feb 2017, 01:55
by steve2267
arian wrote:
I have it on good account that the Gripen is the cheapest plane in the world. Also best plane in the world.

For an air force that flies on banker hours, if they are looking to save money, some good used JAS-39C's with decent amount of airframe life left, would probably fill the air policing role well. And, as you say, it's the "best plane in the world."

Unread postPosted: 18 Feb 2017, 11:05
by juretrn
Are we poking fun at the genius that would have the entire USAF be replaced by Gripens? (name eludes me) :doh:

Unread postPosted: 18 Feb 2017, 15:38
by steve2267
juretrn wrote:Are we poking fun at the genius that would have the entire USAF be replaced by Gripens? (name eludes me) :doh:

I am not. I am mildly poking fun @ the Swiss for having picked a replacement for their F-18s and then cancelling the contract in a fit of pique @ the polls and also for an air force that apparently has bankers hours.

If the Swiss wish a serious defense, then they need to make a serious choice. At this point, not only is the F-35 a serious choice, but may be the cheapest as well for new aircraft.

If all the Swiss wish is to have an air police force, then used Gripen C models with airframe life left may be an economical choice. Used F-16s may work as well.

Unread postPosted: 18 Feb 2017, 23:28
by arian
juretrn wrote:Are we poking fun at the genius that would have the entire USAF be replaced by Gripens? (name eludes me) :doh:

I'm poking fun at all Gripen fanboys.

Unread postPosted: 19 Feb 2017, 00:37
by juretrn
arian wrote:I'm poking fun at all Gripen fanboys.

Well to be fair, the Gripen is a "good enough" option for a small airforce.
But yeah, they're really serious about defending their country, and good enough might not do, so I think steve2267 is on point.

Unread postPosted: 19 Feb 2017, 15:59
by mixelflick
When the F-35 becomes the cheapest of all the options (Typhoon, Rafale, Gripen, SH, Mig-35, SU-35 etc) it's going to be tough to justify passing it over.

Unless you're Canada and demand 2 engines. Which is pretty rich, considering the US Navy's OK with it.. :D

Unread postPosted: 19 Feb 2017, 19:52
by barrelnut
steve2267 wrote:I am not. I am mildly poking fun @ the Swiss for having picked a replacement for their F-18s and then cancelling the contract in a fit of pique @ the polls and also for an air force that apparently has bankers hours.

Well, they didn't. They picked a replacement for their F-5 fleet, not Hornets. Hornets will be replaced with much more capable jets, F-35's most likely.

Unread postPosted: 19 Feb 2017, 20:39
by steve2267
barrelnut wrote:
steve2267 wrote:I am not. I am mildly poking fun @ the Swiss for having picked a replacement for their F-18s and then cancelling the contract in a fit of pique @ the polls and also for an air force that apparently has bankers hours.

Well, they didn't. They picked a replacement for their F-5 fleet, not Hornets. Hornets will be replaced with much more capable jets, F-35's most likely.

I did not know this. I thought the Gripen was a replace everything (F-5 + F-18) deal. Had they replaced their F-5s with Gripens, and then their F-18's with F-35's... they would have had a very potent Hi-Lo force.

Unread postPosted: 19 Feb 2017, 21:25
by spazsinbad
Switzerland adds Hornets to fighter replacement plans
25 Feb 2016 Gareth Jennings

"Switzerland is to add a requirement to replace its Boeing F/A-18 Hornet combat aircraft when it relaunches its aborted attempt to replace its ageing Northrop F-5 Tiger II fleet in the coming months.

The Federal Department of Defence, Civil Protection, and Sport (VBS [previously DDPS]) issued a document on 24 February saying that its chief, Guy Parmelin, had informed the Federal Council that the 31 F/A-18 Hornet fighters operated by the Swiss Air Force are to be included in an effort to replace the service's 54 F-5 Tigers that is set to be relaunched later this year....

...While no manufacturers have yet publicly declared their interest in a relaunched Swiss fighter procurement programme, the government has previously stated that the new process should include two of the three shortlisted candidates from the previous effort: the Gripen E and the Dassault Rafale (the Eurofighter Typhoon is no longer considered a "favourite", according to national broadcater RTS)."

Source: http://www.janes.com/article/58331/swit ... ment-plans

Unread postPosted: 20 Feb 2017, 07:45
by hornetfinn
Going to single type would be smart move from the Swiss IMO. F-5 and F/A-18 was hi-lo mix with F-5 being flown mostly by reservists (mostly airline and freightline pilots) and F/A-18 by full time professional military pilots. Today such a hi-lo mix is not really possible as all types are pretty expensive and have pretty big logistical and training requirements. For such a small airforce one type is much more economical and efficient than two distinct types.

There is talk about buying two different fighter types also in Finland. Most think this would mean Gripen for "cheap" fighter and either Super Hornet or F-35 as "expensive" fighter. I think history might repeat itself in both Switzerland and Finland and US fighter will be bought with clearly better performance and equal or lower costs than competitors. I think Switzerland and Finland should team up in the effort to replace their fighters as both have very similar replacement schedule and overall situation. I'm sure air forces of both countries would very much like F-35, but politicians can be very unpredictable.

Unread postPosted: 20 Feb 2017, 13:42
by noth
Any Swiiss buy will have to manage to get through a referendum (they're automatic on any purchase over 1 billion CHF). This may be quite difficult if the Left have another campaign like they did on the Gripen... Also the number of jets the Airforce can afford is rather crucial, they'll want as many as possible but probably can't afford more than 30ish of any model.

As for banker hours, that is changing, they'll be doing 24 hour QRA by end of 2017 I believe.

Unread postPosted: 23 Feb 2017, 02:13
by jakobs
How about holding the referendum before starting the process this time around.

Unread postPosted: 23 Feb 2017, 19:27
by noth
Not a bad idea.

However at today's press conference, Swiss Federal Councillor for Defence Guy Parmelin announced that the F/A-18s will have their life prolonged to serve till 2030, including a buy of "radar missiles", aka AIM-120s, and various upgrades to keep them uptodate. The decision to arm them with AGMs / bombs has been pushed back to a later date, as this was rather controversial (makes the Left think they might be used to bomb abroad, in violation of neutrality).

This means the next acquisition won't be entering service till midway in the next decade... We'll see what's still available by then. I bet they'd like Lightnings. Probably not B models, the Swiss like to be able to use a tailhook for some of their more secret landing locations. Bs would mean a change in doctrine (remember they've had the option to buy Harriers since the 60s, and never did).

Unread postPosted: 23 Feb 2017, 23:54
by madrat
The B would be more flexible, not less flexible, when it comes to operational issues. The B has a way to get down in a much shorter distance.

Unread postPosted: 24 Feb 2017, 02:38
by jakobs
They still keep using the F-5's more than one would think, so I would guess the Air Force will have a rather high ambition when it comes to the number of airframes it would like. Let's see what they can make possible with budget constraints etc.

Unread postPosted: 23 Mar 2018, 04:56
by spazsinbad
Swiss fighter buy to hinge on 2020 referendum
22 Mar 2018 Craig Hoyle

"Fighter manufacturers are eyeing an opportunity to replace the Swiss air force's entire fighter fleet, although the requirement will be the subject of a public vote planned for early 2020....

...Last November Bern then outlined an ambitious "Air 2030" programme to replace its F-5s, Boeing F/A-18C/Ds and ground-based air-defence systems during the next decade, with the activity valued at Swfr8 billion ($8.4 billion). Proceeding with such a sweeping modernisation activity would require approvals to increase its current defence spending levels by 1.4% per year.

Outlining its latest programme schedule, the nation's government says parliamentary debate will occur in 2019, before a public referendum to be conducted no later than "spring 2020". Selection of a new fighter is likely to occur by the end of the same year, it adds, with a contract signature likely in 2022 and deliveries anticipated between 2025 and 2030....

...Among the terms of its procurement plan, the Swiss government will seek an offset package worth at least 100% of the purchase price...."

Source: https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... um-446986/

Unread postPosted: 23 Mar 2018, 07:39
by weasel1962
Luckily the Swiss aren't that European. Look what happened to the now "former" German chief of airforce after he suggested the F-35.

Unread postPosted: 23 Mar 2018, 20:12
by botsing
weasel1962 wrote:Luckily the Swiss aren't that European. Look what happened to the now "former" German chief of airforce after he suggested the F-35.

Netherlands, Norway, Italy, Danmark and UK have all opted for the F-35.

Polarizing German internal politics as "European" is kinda odd.

Unread postPosted: 23 Mar 2018, 21:32
by swiss
botsing wrote:
weasel1962 wrote:Luckily the Swiss aren't that European. Look what happened to the now "former" German chief of airforce after he suggested the F-35.

Agreed.

Here some news about the swiss evaluation. 40 Jets. SAM system that can cover 15'000 km2 (5800 sqm). They choose between SAMP/T from Eurosam, David's Sling from Rafael, and Patriot from Raytheon. Fighter are still the same types for the evaluation. maximally 8 Billion Swiss francs. Don't know if this is enough money.

I don't like also, that we don't know which Jet the government will buy. They will chose the type after the referendum.

https://translate.google.ch/translate?s ... t=&act=url

Unread postPosted: 24 Mar 2018, 01:12
by hythelday
swiss wrote:
botsing wrote:

Agreed.

Here some news about the swiss evaluation. 40 Jets. SAM system that can cover 15'000 km2 (5800 sqm). They choose between SAMP/T from Eurosam, David's Sling from Rafael, and Patriot from Raytheon. Fighter are still the same types for the evaluation. maximally 8 Billion Swiss francs. Don't know if this is enough money.

I don't like also, that we don't know which Jet the government will buy. They will chose the type after the referendum.

That seems like OK sum of money, 40 F-35s @ 90M dollars leaves about 4,9 billion for weapons, suppot, weapons, training etc... ample money. Unless the SAMs are in the same budget?

Only after the vote does the Federal Council decide which aircraft should be purchased. This is to avoid a public debate about possible shortcomings of the jet fighter - as four years ago when Gripen

Ouch.

Unread postPosted: 24 Mar 2018, 07:12
by h-bomb
swiss wrote:Agreed.

I love this article, apparently the Gripen E has 3 to 4 times the range of the rest of the competitors!

Unread postPosted: 24 Mar 2018, 13:02
by loke
hythelday wrote:
swiss wrote:
botsing wrote:

That seems like OK sum of money, 40 F-35s @ 90M dollars leaves about 4,9 billion for weapons, suppot, weapons, training etc... ample money. Unless the SAMs are in the same budget?

AFAIK the SAMs are included in the 8 billion Swiss Franc budget.

My guess would be that cost will be a main driver for the selection, as it was in the previous round. This will most likely mean that Rafale and Typhoon will not win this. Probably the F-35 will win, however the Gripen E should not be discounted completely.

It may seem improbable that Gripen E could win, however it did win the previous round. Perhaps the requirements will be different this time around, on the other hand, I think it was clear during the last round that Switzerland in the future will not operate two types of fighter jets -- thus, even if the previous deal was a replacement of F-5s only, ultimately Switzerland would have ended up replacing also the F-18 with Gripen E. Thus presumably the requirements for the previous round took this into account.

For sure the Swiss Army would prefer the F-35 (or Rafale) to the Gripen so perhaps they will try to make the requirements more stringent to reach this target.

Of course if the F-35 turns out to be as cheap as Gripen (not just to purchase, but also to operate) then it becomes a no-brainer. The costs of offsets and ToT will also influence the price. 100% offsets is a requirement.

More info here: https://www.newsd.admin.ch/newsd/messag ... /51786.pdf

Unread postPosted: 24 Mar 2018, 14:43
by loke
h-bomb wrote:

I love this article, apparently the Gripen E has 3 to 4 times the range of the rest of the competitors!

They qouted ferry range for Gripen E and the Rafale (3,700 km) but not for the others it seems.

Unread postPosted: 25 Mar 2018, 12:26
by swiss

Thanks for the link loke.

loke wrote:
My guess would be that cost will be a main driver for the selection, as it was in the previous round. This will most likely mean that Rafale and Typhoon will not win this. Probably the F-35 will win, however the Gripen E should not be discounted completely.

Well it would be a effrontery after the result from the last evaluation and the referendum to choose the Gripen again. There is no doubt, in terms of skills, the F-35 is the only correct decision Period.

I watched the press conference about the Requirement for the new Fighters and SAM. ( Sadly only in german and a bit francais.)

Some interesting points i think:

-Its defenetly the F-35 A that the Swiss AF will invite to the evaluation.

-Its not absolutely necessary that swiss pilots fly the Jets through the evaluation. It could be also test pilots of the manufacturer. Because the simulators are so advanced, that the swiss pilots can comprehend every mission that is flown by the test pilotes. And for every Fighter they will spend 14 "test" days in the simulator.

-They will buy 30-40 Fighters. Depends how good end expensive the SAM is.

- A journalist ask why Switzerland don't try to buy a S400 like Turkey who is a Nato member. Every where the S400 stands the enemy has "the naked horror" from this system. Answer: It speaks not the same "Languages" then the Radars, guiding system and Fighters Switzerland has or will have. So the costs would be very expensive, to integrate the system. And even then its not sure if it will work 100%. And it would be curious, after decades of buying western systems, just know to buy a Russian system.

Unread postPosted: 25 Mar 2018, 14:18
by magitsu
swiss wrote:- A journalist ask why Switzerland don't try to buy a S400 like Turkey who is a Nato member. Every where the S400 stands the enemy has "the naked horror" from this system. Answer: It speaks not the same "Languages" then the Radars, guiding system and Fighters Switzerland has or will have. So the costs would be very expensive, to integrate the system. And even then its not sure if it will work 100%. And it would be curious, after decades of buying western systems, just know to buy a Russian system.

The S-400 threat is built up to sell stuff. Either the clicks for the media or to secure more money for own equipment.
But yes, you are right. It makes no sense to even consider buying mixed strategic systems, for which a lot of the benefits come from networking them to the whole defense system.

The Patriot system's exorbitant cost does make it necessary to have other options, at least rhetorical ones.

Unread postPosted: 25 Mar 2018, 19:13
by playloud
loke wrote:
h-bomb wrote:

They qouted ferry range for Gripen E and the Rafale (3,700 km) but not for the others it seems.

Wow! You're right.

The Gripen is has the published ferry range of 4,000 km.
The Rafale is listed at 3,700 km, which on wikipedia is the "range" (not ferry) listed with 3 drop tanks (no CFTs).
The Typhoon is the same as the Rafale, in that they took the "range" stat (2,900 km).
The Super Hornet stat is the "range" stat for "clean plus two AIM-9s".
The F-35 is the worst of the bunch. 1,092 km (590 nmi) is the threshold combat RADIUS (which the jet now exceeds)

So, the two extremes here are the Gripen an F-35.
Gripen is getting the published ferry range with 3 external tanks, while the F-35 is getting the minimum requirement threshold RADIUS while carrying 2x 2k JDAMs on an actual mission.

Unread postPosted: 25 Mar 2018, 19:31
by SpudmanWP
Why list the "combat radius" of the F-35 but the "ferry range" of everything else?

Taking the longest published combat radius of the F-35 in A2A mode (760nm), that gives us over 2800kn ferry range. Take the AAMs out (600+ kg) and it should beg above 3000km.

Unread postPosted: 25 Mar 2018, 20:47
by usnvo
SpudmanWP wrote:Why list the "combat radius" of the F-35 but the "ferry range" of everything else?

Taking the longest published combat radius of the F-35 in A2A mode (760nm), that gives us over 2800kn ferry range. Take the AAMs out (600+ kg) and it should beg above 3000km.

Why not? Jerry Hendrix has been quoting the combat radius of the F-35C versus the combat range of everything else for years. Even then, the typical Swiss mission doesn't even need drop tanks on an F-18.

Unread postPosted: 25 Mar 2018, 20:59
by SpudmanWP
usnvo wrote:Why not?
Because to make an intellectually honest comparison, you need to use the same metrics.

Unread postPosted: 26 Mar 2018, 14:53
by swiss
Don't take this graphics to serious. They copy paste them on every article about the new evaluation. :wink:

Unread postPosted: 26 Mar 2018, 16:46
by noth
The Swiss mission is mainly air defence and especially sky police. They currently are gearing up to have 24/7 policing of the skies with the F-18C, but it's taking time to train up everyone, including ATC personnel. So ferry range isn't much of a concern. the English Electric Lightning would have enough range!

I wonder if they'll bother evaluating air to ground at all as that's not a current mission and the Parliamentary Left keep blocking any attempts to buy A2G weapons of any kind. The referendum will happen but at this stage I have no idea if they'll manage to sell this acquisition to a population that seems to think neutrality doesn't require weapons.

Unread postPosted: 27 Mar 2018, 00:49
by usnvo
SpudmanWP wrote:
usnvo wrote:Why not?
Because to make an intellectually honest comparison, you need to use the same metrics.

I agree, but I don't think the article has anything to do with the actual evaluation, just someone, poorly, filling in what they think are the answers.

As for ferry range, I doubt it will be used at all in the comparison as the Swiss are not going anywhere. My guess is the actual evaluation range will be with a very specific set of criteria that the Swiss want and will not match any of the stated conditions for any of the aircraft being evaluated.

Finally, why do you assume that the intent of the magazine was to conduct an intellectually honest comparison? Is that ever the case?

Unread postPosted: 27 Mar 2018, 02:40
by SpudmanWP
lol. I did not realize that the magazine was the one to make that mistake.

What passes for journalism these days really sux.

Unread postPosted: 27 Mar 2018, 16:38
by noth
The only time the Swiss Air Force ferry flights somewhere is to Norway to practice night flying and tanking. But that's not exactly a massive distance...

Unread postPosted: 27 Mar 2018, 16:57
by vanshilar
noth wrote:The Swiss mission is mainly air defence and especially sky police. They currently are gearing up to have 24/7 policing of the skies with the F-18C, but it's taking time to train up everyone, including ATC personnel. So ferry range isn't much of a concern. the English Electric Lightning would have enough range!

I wonder if loiter time then becomes a better proxy for range? I mean if you're using planes for sky policing then being able to stay in the air longer before coming down for a landing would be an asset, right? So that you don't need as many planes in the rotation.

Unread postPosted: 27 Mar 2018, 20:04
by spazsinbad
The name of the department is hilarious but a small thing in the scheme of fings - GO Switzerland.
Switzerland Outlines New Air Defense Requirements
27 Mar 2018 David Donald

"On March 23 the Swiss Federal Department of Defence, Civil Protection, and Sports (DDPS) published a document setting out its basic requirements for both a new fighter (“NKF”—Neues Kampfflugzeug) and a ground-based air defense system (“Bodluv”—Bodengestützte-Luft-Verteidigung). The document names potential suppliers and establishes offset requirements....

...The fighter must be interoperable with those employed by neighboring states and NATO Partnership for Peace nations, particularly in terms of communications, IFF, and tactical datalinks. An off-the-shelf product is sought, with no “Helvetization” required beyond “minimal adjustments” such as may be necessary to integrate into the Swiss command and control network. Final assembly of the aircraft in Switzerland is “not a requirement, but is not ruled out.”

No fleet size is specified, but it must be able to maintain four aircraft on patrol during times of tension for at least four weeks, and the logistics network must be able to maintain operations for six months without any assured spares support from outside Switzerland. Ruag is named from the outset as the center for maintenance, repair, and overhaul. Another requirement is that at least part of the evaluation be conducted in Switzerland by Swiss pilots. The evaluation will consider costs based on procurement and operation of the equipment for 30 years....

...Offsets for both requirements are at least 100 percent, divided among direct offsets associated with the purchase (20 percent), indirect offsets for Switzerland’s defense/security industry (40 percent), and the remaining 40 percent for other industries. Moreover, the offsets must be distributed across Swiss regions along the lines of 65 percent for German-speaking regions, 30 percent for French speakers and 5 percent for the Italian area."

Source: https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news ... quirements

Unread postPosted: 27 Mar 2018, 22:49
by noth
spazsinbad wrote:The name of the department is hilarious but a small thing in the scheme of fings - GO Switzerland.

Well at least they're honest about it. "Youth & Sports" is a school program to ensure a minimum level of fitness (and preferably better) for future soldiers. Switzerland still has conscription (but you can opt for civil service instead).

Unread postPosted: 28 Mar 2018, 10:27
by alex_f
One of the previous minister of defence (Adolf Ogi) was also very involved in several sport organizations, so apparently, they changed the name from "federal military department" (EMD) into VBS to please him. He always said it wasn't the case, but it looks pretty obvious.

Alex

Unread postPosted: 07 Jul 2018, 22:12
by spazsinbad
Swiss call for bids over fighter jets
06 Jul 2018 Reuters/SDA-ATS/swissinfo.ch/ilj

"...Under its Air2030 programme, Switzerland is aiming to procure new combat aircraft and ground-based defences in a programme valued at CHF8 billion ($8.1 billion). It is the biggest arms procurement programme in modern Swiss history....

...Armasuisse, the Federal Office for Defence Procurement, said it was asking the firms to submit pricing for 30 or 40 planes, including logistics and guided missiles, as well as an assessment of the number of aircraft necessary to fulfil the Swiss Air Force's needs. The manufacturers have until January 2019 to submit an offer, after which the planes will undergo tests and a second tender round will be opened, with the plan to finish the assessment by the end of 2020....

Vote
In March the government said that Swiss voters would have a say on whether to buy new fighter jets – but not on the type of jet...."

Source: https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/next-step_ ... s/44241880

Unread postPosted: 07 Jul 2018, 23:47
by SpudmanWP
Save me some seats & I'll bring the popcorn. :roll:

Unread postPosted: 09 Jul 2018, 00:10
by rheonomic
I'm sure it will work better than last time...

Unread postPosted: 09 Jan 2019, 18:49
by noth
I think you're all going to love this, fellow forum dwellers:

The Swiss Socialist Party has a new, cheaper plan for the next aircraft and surface to air defence. They're advocating for advanced jet trainers (M-346, L-159 or KAI T-50) to replace the F/A-18s and F-5s! They want to buy a dozen till the F/A-18s retire at the end of the next decade, at the tune of 10 to 20 millions CHF (basically the same in USD) a piece. Massive savings, but as we know, totally unable to do even Air Policing properly. They want to wait till the SCAF and/or BAE Tempest come to fruition before supposedly buying either of those.

Once again the SP demonstrate their willingness to disarm the Air Force using the salami tactic of denying them all and any improvement in equipment and numbers. Always pushing for an an alternative acqusition instead of approving the current proposal from the Defence Ministry. They've even suggested buying a transport plane such as a C-295 instead of buying new fighter aircraft "because that's more urgent to assist the Swisscoy (Swiss troops assisting in Kosovo) and delivering international aid or disaster relief".

Except that 20 years ago they voted against that proposal, calling it unnecessary expenditure.

All the beef here (in French, I'm afraid): http://psk.blog.24heures.ch/archive/201 ... 66748.html

Unread postPosted: 09 Jan 2019, 20:44
by viper12
That's truly some next-level comedy gold !

Unread postPosted: 09 Jan 2019, 20:56
by ricnunes
viper12 wrote:That's truly some next-level comedy gold !

LoL! It almost makes Canada look good :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: 10 Jan 2019, 16:05
by alex_f
noth wrote:They've even suggested buying a transport plane such as a C-295 instead of buying new fighter aircraft "because that's more urgent to assist the Swisscoy (Swiss troops assisting in Kosovo) and delivering international aid or disaster relief".

Except that 20 years ago they voted against that proposal, calling it unnecessary expenditure.

well, to be fair, we still haven't got a transport plane, and if something happenes in the world, we have to politely ask our neighbours, if we kindly may use their transport capacities... even Austria has some C-130, which we already used. Even to supply our own troups we have to charter commercial planes. A bit embarrassing, IMHO.

and they (SP) voted against the budget, not because of the transport plane, but for other reasons. The SVP (right wing, which is always against anything which sonds "international") voted against the budget too, exactly because of the transport plane, and combining the two nays on the left and right hand side, but for different reasons, the budget got slammed. So, no transport plane. But not because of the SP, which would have been outvoted anyway, if they were the only party against it.

Some background about that voting (sorry, german only): https://www.swissinfo.ch/ger/parlament- ... mm/4416020

Unread postPosted: 10 Jan 2019, 19:32
by ricnunes
Thanks for the heads up alex_f :thumb:

Unread postPosted: 31 Jan 2019, 00:13
by hythelday
Maybe it has gone a bit under the radar, but New Swiss Fighter Aircraft is moving along:
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... 73762.html
(original in german only: https://www.vbs.admin.ch/content/vbs-in ... 73762.html)

Usual suspect have so far showed up: Eurofighter, F/A-18 Super Hornet, Rafale, F-35A, Gripen E.

The layout of the evaluation is as follows:
February - March 2019
- Specialists from Armasuisse (gov procurement agency) and Swiss Air Force test the aircraft in the simulators
- Product support audits, where "air forces of the producing countries show how the aircraft are operated, maintained; how the training takes place" (Eurofighter is trouble here because the Swiss list Germans as producers, which means Luftwaffe get to show off how they maintain those 4 Typhoons out a hundred :devil: )
April - July 2019
- Combat aircraft will be subjected to flight and ground testing in Payerne (air base). (Gripen E is in trouble here because how many operationally equipped Es will be available within the next three months?)
Second half of 2020
- Findings from the analysis and testing phase will be summarized separately for Armasuisse in collaboration with the Army Staff, Air Force, Army Logistics Base and Leadership Support Base(Führungsunterstützungsbasis?) in expert reports
- The technical reports also serve to determine the required fleet size for each type of aircraft (Which means the number of fighters purchased will depend not only on the price but also capability, just to forestall any 4,000$/hr posts)

Unread postPosted: 08 Apr 2019, 20:06
by noth
Swiss MoD held a press conference today to announce that they're kicking off the ground and flight evaluations this week. Schedule is as follows:

Airbus, Germany, Eurofighter: Weeks 15 & 16
Boeing, United States, F/A-18 Super Hornet: Weeks 17 & 18
Dassault, France, Rafale: Weeks 20 & 21
Lockheed Martin, United States, F-35A: Weeks 23 & 24
Saab, Sweden, Gripen E: Weeks 25 & 26

They're being very strict on how the evaluations are held and separate teams will evaluate each aircraft and will not be allowed to communicate with other teams till the process is over. Companies are forbidden from nearly all forms of lobbying apart from presentations at air shows, and if found trying to badmouth opponents, they risk being ejected from the competition.

As to whether this will end up any differently than from 2012, I have no idea, although the fact that Typhoon & Rafale are known to be up for replacement in the post 2030 window, as is the F-18E, is playing quite a part in all this.

Unread postPosted: 08 Apr 2019, 22:10
by f4u7_corsair
noth wrote:As to whether this will end up any differently than from 2012, I have no idea, although the fact that Typhoon & Rafale are known to be up for replacement in the post 2030 window, as is the F-18E, is playing quite a part in all this.

Post mid-40s at least for Rafale.

Unread postPosted: 09 Apr 2019, 11:48
by spazsinbad
Flight Evaluations Begin For Swiss Fighter Contest
08 Apr 2019 Tony Osborne

"LONDON—Switzerland has begun flight evaluations of the combat aircraft bidding to be the country’s next fighter. Two Eurofighter Typhoons will touch down at Payerne airbase this week for the first of five two-week evaluations which are being conducted alphabetically by manufacturer name....

...Swiss officials say eight missions will be flown as part of the two-week evaluation, each with one or two aircraft. The tests will confirm the capabilities and performance of the aircraft against details of the offers submitted by the governments and the manufacturers. At least one of the missions will be flown at night.

Prior to the flight-test program in Switzerland, Swiss test pilots undertake simulator training work in the country of manufacture. “This is the only way to ensure that all candidates have the same test conditions,” says Bernhard Berset, project manager for the flight-testing program in Switzerland, in an interview published on the Swiss Federal Department of Defense, Civil Protection and Sports’ website.

He notes that flying in-country allows aircraft sensors to be tested against the same targets in the same environment and it also “ensures that the new systems will work in harmony with existing systems and infrastructures,” he said. It is unclear whether this also includes the ability to use the mountain cavern hangars at airfields like Meiringen in the Alps....

...Under current plans, the next aircraft to be evaluated will be the Boeing F/A-18E/F Super Hornet, with the aircraft due to arrive in late April. These will be followed by the Dassault Rafale and the Lockheed Martin F-35 in May and Saab’s JAS-39E Gripen in early June. The deployment of the Gripen E will represent the first hops outside Sweden for the new Gripen variant."

Source: https://aviationweek.com/defense/flight ... er-contest

Unread postPosted: 11 Apr 2019, 13:18
by spazsinbad
The F-35 and other warplanes descend on Switzerland this spring
11 Apr 2019 Sebastian Sprenger

"COLOGNE, Germany – The Swiss have kicked off flying season for the five types of combat aircraft under consideration to replace the country's aging fleet, with several demonstrations scheduled between now and early July.

The probes are part of the Swiss “Air 2030” program, an $8.2 billion project to buy new aircraft and ground-based equipment for policing the country's airspace. The evaluation phase began in earnest earlier this year, as Swiss officials took the contender aircraft for a spin in the simulators of their respective home countries. Now they want to see how the planes fare in the famously neutral nation, whose alpine terrain makes engine thrust and maneuverability handy attributes.

Bringing the Eurofighter Typhoon, the Boeing F-18 Super Hornet, the Dassault Rafale, the Lockheed Martin F-35A and the Saab Gripen E to the Payerne air base near Bern is a “significant effort” for the vendors and governments involved, said an industry official from one of the competing teams. But the payoff – an estimated $6 billion of the total Air 2030 budget – is winning “one of the big, promising campaigns out there,” that official said.

All contenders must complete eight test flights each, including one at night. The mission profiles are the same for all parties to ensure equal treatment, according to the Swiss defense ministry.

Lockheed Martin expects to bring four of its fifth-generation, stealthy jets to Switzerland for demonstrations beginning in early June. The jets will be from Hill Air Force Base in Utah, making stops on the U.S. East Coast and Ramstein Air Base, Germany, before getting to Switzerland, the company said. The aircraft will be parked at Payerne during the duration of the tests for more than two weeks, up to June 17, a company spokesman told Defense News.

Notably, the Swiss requirement is only to bring one or two aircraft specimens, a spokesman for Armasuisse, the defense ministry's acquisition arm, said.... [???]

...The Swiss government decided to move ahead with flight demonstrations despite an ongoing effort to re-evaluate the Air 2030 program. The country’s new defense chief, Viola Amherd, tasked a former Swiss astronaut with critiquing its underlying premises earlier this year. Claude Nicollier, an astrophysicist and former military pilot, has until the end of April to review a 2017 expert report on which the program was built.

That analysis prescribes that Switzerland needs a fleet of 30 or 40 aircraft to intercept aerial targets that fall outside the range of ground-based defenses. Officials want enough capacity to have four planes in the air at any given time during crises."

Source: https://www.defensenews.com/global/euro ... is-spring/

Unread postPosted: 11 Apr 2019, 16:47
by steve2267
Have Swiss pilots been trained @ Luke, and will they fly the Lightnings in Switzerland?

Unread postPosted: 11 Apr 2019, 21:08
by swiss
steve2267 wrote:Have Swiss pilots been trained @ Luke, and will they fly the Lightnings in Switzerland?

The F-35 will be tested in Switzerland. But with pilots from LM.

Unread postPosted: 11 Apr 2019, 23:32
by magitsu
Gripen Demonstrator or actually one of the precious 3-4 E test planes?

Unread postPosted: 12 Apr 2019, 09:04
by hornetfinn
magitsu wrote:Gripen Demonstrator or actually one of the precious 3-4 E test planes?

Saab was in the exact same situation when Finland last selected a fighter jet in early 1990s. Finnish pilots flew Gripen prototypes in Sweden when they had 5 of them IIRC. Then they did similar testing in Finland where Swedish test pilot flew the test missions with the last prototype Gripen (with pretty much production avionics). I think they will do the same again.

Unread postPosted: 14 Apr 2019, 07:00
by swiss
An interview of Bernhard Berset. Project Manager of testing NKF ( new fighter plane). He explains how the evaluation gehts done

https://translate.google.ch/translate?h ... 90408.html

Unread postPosted: 14 Apr 2019, 21:44
by spazsinbad
Switzerland Starts New Round of Fighter Trials
13 Apr 2019 David Donald

"...Although armasuisse personnel have been undertaking evaluations of the proposals at the OEMs’ own facilities, including the use of simulators, an important element is the evaluation of each aircraft in Switzerland. Each competitor is being evaluated in eight planned sorties, including one at night, over a two-week period. The mission scenarios and parameters will be the same for each competitor.

“This is the only way to ensure that all candidates have the same test conditions,” commented Berhnard Berset, armasuisse’s sub-project leader for NKF testing, in an interview published on the website of the DDPS (Federal Department of Defence, Civil Protection and Sport). “For example, this allows for the same target presentation or use of the sensors in the same environment. It also ensures that the new systems will work in harmony with existing systems and infrastructures. All candidates must complete the same test program.”

This phase of the evaluation will conclude at the end of June. Candidates are being tested in alphabetical sequence, with Airbus assigned the weeks April 8-21, followed by Boeing (April 22 to May 5), Dassault (May 13-26), Lockheed Martin (June 3-16) and Saab (June 17-30). Swiss pilots will take part in sorties where a two-seater is available. “For the candidates with two-seat fighter jets, it is planned that two test pilots of the [Swiss] Air Force and two test pilots of the armasuisse fly with a test pilot of the manufacturer," explained Berset. “For manufacturers with single-seat fighters, this task is taken over by the manufacturer's pilots.”

As the first to deploy for the trials, Airbus is using two Typhoons—one single-seater and a two-seater—from the RAF’s No. 41 Test and Evaluation Squadron for the evaluation, as they represent arguably the most capable configuration currently available. Ground support equipment was delivered to Payerne by an Airbus A400M of the German air force.

Lockheed Martin is expected to use F-35As from the 388th Fighter Wing at Hill AFB, Utah, and may send as many as four to Europe. Participation in the trials is likely to be the first international foray for Saab’s single-seat Gripen E. Swiss pilots flew the two-seat Gripen Demo forerunner in Sweden during the earlier fighter competition."

Source: https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news ... ter-trials

Unread postPosted: 22 Apr 2019, 16:26
by swiss
Interview with Mike Kelley, Managing Director of Lockheed Martin Switzerland. In a swiss (boulevard) newspaper.

https://translate.google.ch/translate?h ... 81318.html

Unread postPosted: 26 Apr 2019, 15:21
by swiss

Unread postPosted: 16 May 2019, 19:58
by loke
ZURICH (Reuters) - The Swiss government will split off its purchase of new fighter jets from its order of new surface-to-air defenses, it said on Thursday, setting a budget of 6 billion Swiss francs ($5.96 billion) for the jets alone.

https://news.yahoo.com/swiss-carve-figh ... nance.html

Unread postPosted: 17 May 2019, 17:34
by spazsinbad
Switzerland earmarks Swfr6 billion for fighter replacement
17 May 2019 Michael Gubisch

"Switzerland's government has allocated Swfr6 billion ($5.85 billion) to replace by 2030 the nation's ageing Boeing F/A-18 and Northrop F-5 fighters as part of a wider overhaul of its air defences. The government states that the federal defence department has been tasked to draft by early September a procurement proposal, which has then to be approved first by the country's parliament and then voters via a referendum. However, that public vote will only cover the programme's budget – not the type and number of aircraft to be procured....

...The F/A-18s will reach the end of their service life by 2030, while the F-5s can only be operated for air policing operations in daylight and good visibility, the government says. It argues that the F-5s would "not stand a chance against a modern opponent".…"

Source: https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... la-458236/

Unread postPosted: 18 May 2019, 19:20
by noth
This split of the surface to air & fighter acquisition will unfortunately probably doom the buy when the referendum rolls around. The entire Left are against spending on fighter aircraft and that may be enough, with a low voter turnout, to make the governement lose. I'm really not confident on how this is going to end up.

Unread postPosted: 19 May 2019, 20:48
by swiss

Unread postPosted: 01 Jun 2019, 12:07
by swiss

Unread postPosted: 01 Jun 2019, 13:47
by ricnunes
That last photo of the F-35 is awesome indeed. I specially like the coloring of the sun reflecting on the F-35 (during sunset or sunrise?).

Swiss, do you happen to have a higher resolution version of that photo (or a link for that) ?

Unread postPosted: 01 Jun 2019, 15:03
by swiss
ricnunes wrote:That last photo of the F-35 is awesome indeed. I specially like the coloring of the sun reflecting on the F-35 (during sunset or sunrise?).

Swiss, do you happen to have a higher resolution version of that photo (or a link for that) ?

Sadly not Ric. Its from a private FB page.

Unread postPosted: 01 Jun 2019, 15:45
by ricnunes
swiss wrote:Sadly not Ric. Its from a private FB page.

Roger that Swiss.

After downloading the photo, I noticed that its resolution is not bad afterall (it's 1680x1120). Thanks for sharing it :thumb:

Unread postPosted: 02 Jun 2019, 06:23
by swiss
ricnunes wrote:
swiss wrote:Sadly not Ric. Its from a private FB page.

Roger that Swiss.

After downloading the photo, I noticed that its resolution is not bad afterall (it's 1680x1120). Thanks for sharing it :thumb:

Your welcome Ric. :)

Unread postPosted: 02 Jun 2019, 08:45
by spazsinbad
Air2030: Flug- und Bodenerprobung neues Kampfflugzeug (April bis Juni 2019): F-35A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72nPZYJkk7I [a female F-35A pilot seen in video]
Air2030: Flight and ground testing of new fighter aircraft (April to June 2019): F-35A

Unread postPosted: 02 Jun 2019, 13:15
by mixelflick
And of the four, they had to highlight the woman pilot. Not so subtle PC bullsh!t, nobody's fooled. She's there to fill a quota.

In other news, it's all over for the competition. None of the other aircraft under consideration will stand a chance, especially as the CPFH of the F-35 continues to trend downward.

All of Europe is going to be buying this thing, and with good reason: It simply outperforms everything else (except the F-22), by a country mile..

Unread postPosted: 03 Jun 2019, 00:03
by noth
@mixelflick: never underestimate the power of a referendum in Switzerland on acquisition of these aircraft. That's the only thing that matters, at a time of rising environmentalist sentiment that is as Luddite as it comes. Switzerland is one of the few countries to have a lobby called "For Switzerland without Armed Forces". Aircraft choice won't matter if they have their game running to a tick, as I currently fear.

Unread postPosted: 03 Jun 2019, 06:16
by boilermaker
spazsinbad wrote:
08 Apr 2019 Tony Osborne

"LONDON—Switzerland has begun flight evaluations of the combat aircraft bidding to be the country’s next fighter. Two Eurofighter Typhoons will touch down at Payerne airbase this week for the first of five two-week evaluations which are being conducted alphabetically by manufacturer name....

...Swiss officials say eight missions will be flown as part of the two-week evaluation, each with one or two aircraft. The tests will confirm the capabilities and performance of the aircraft against details of the offers submitted by the governments and the manufacturers. At least one of the missions will be flown at night.

Prior to the flight-test program in Switzerland, Swiss test pilots undertake simulator training work in the country of manufacture. “This is the only way to ensure that all candidates have the same test conditions,” says Bernhard Berset, project manager for the flight-testing program in Switzerland, in an interview published on the Swiss Federal Department of Defense, Civil Protection and Sports’ website.

He notes that flying in-country allows aircraft sensors to be tested against the same targets in the same environment and it also “ensures that the new systems will work in harmony with existing systems and infrastructures,” he said. It is unclear whether this also includes the ability to use the mountain cavern hangars at airfields like Meiringen in the Alps....

...Under current plans, the next aircraft to be evaluated will be the Boeing F/A-18E/F Super Hornet, with the aircraft due to arrive in late April. These will be followed by the Dassault Rafale and the Lockheed Martin F-35 in May and Saab’s JAS-39E Gripen in early June. The deployment of the Gripen E will represent the first hops outside Sweden for the new Gripen variant."

Source: https://aviationweek.com/defense/flight ... er-contest

With the short runways of the Swiss, there is no way the typhoon and its canards in front would make it , imo.

Rafale is a bit under powered, but then so is the Gripen and F35 while the super hornet is getting heavier by the day.

Unread postPosted: 03 Jun 2019, 06:25
by spazsinbad
boilermaker wrote:
spazsinbad wrote:
yadayadayada

With the short runways of the Swiss, there is no way the typhoon and its canards in front would make it , imo.
Rafale is a bit under powered, but then so is the Gripen and F35 while the super hornet is getting heavier by the day.

Well Well. The F-35B answers that problem "short runnies, & underpowers" eh. But you'll think of something else also. :doh:

Unread postPosted: 03 Jun 2019, 06:30
by boilermaker
hornetfinn wrote:
magitsu wrote:Gripen Demonstrator or actually one of the precious 3-4 E test planes?

Saab was in the exact same situation when Finland last selected a fighter jet in early 1990s. Finnish pilots flew Gripen prototypes in Sweden when they had 5 of them IIRC. Then they did similar testing in Finland where Swedish test pilot flew the test missions with the last prototype Gripen (with pretty much production avionics). I think they will do the same again.

The swiss should make a group buy with the Finns and take whatever the Finns are going to take. Given the French Air Force is already patroling for the Swiss...

Unread postPosted: 03 Jun 2019, 17:36
by magitsu
Tough for the Swiss to commit to any group buy when they have that referendum hurdle which they already once failed to clear.

Unread postPosted: 07 Jun 2019, 19:38
by loke
In all the sound studies of decibel levels, they have never taken into account the added noise of almost 3 dB when two planes are flying in formation. They always fly in tandem, and it nearly doubles the sound levels. Also, according to NAVAIR, the 150 dB generated during takeoff on an aircraft carrier is louder than any ear protection currently available for naval personnel. “We are creating a hearing loss certainty, not just a risk.”
The NAVAIR study differs from the Air Force study in one very important matrix. The noise measured is not just in decibel units (dBs) but also in watts-per-square-meter. “The F-35A watts-per-square-meter is two times greater than those generated by the F/A-18 E/F (Super Hornet). You can’t use a single dB number to measure noise to fully quantify the acoustic pressure levels generated by an engine, or to compare one engine to another.”
This fact was graphically demonstrated to us on the morning of May 31, when the F35s took off from our airport. In addition to the increased dB levels, there was also a much louder low-frequency rumbling. So the noise has expanded from the normal jet frequencies of the F-16 to much lower cycles-per-second that will penetrate even a closed environment such as the inside of our homes. New windows or doors will not protect us from these frequencies.
Again, according to the NAVAIR study: “Noise levels below 500 Hz are normally not recorded by either dosimeters or medical audiograms. (Low frequency noise was not part of the Air Force study.) Those who have stood near an F-22 or F-35 at high power levels report uncomfortable sensations and believe their internal organs are moving.”
The NAVAIR study continues: “Critical organs of the body have harmonic resonances ranging from a few Hz to 400Hz. For these reasons, greater bio-medical research into the adverse effects of low frequency, air-propagated sound is needed.”

https://vtdigger.org/2019/06/05/joe-ran ... ought/amp/
As mentioned previously the sound level could become the achilles heel of the F-35 in the very sensitive Swiss population.

Unread postPosted: 07 Jun 2019, 19:46
by spazsinbad
'loke' The rong HILL URL has been posted. Care to give the correct one please? Save a lot of messing about. Thanks.

Unread postPosted: 07 Jun 2019, 20:08
by loke
spazsinbad wrote:'loke' The rong HILL URL has been posted. Care to give the correct one please? Save a lot of messing about. Thanks.

Ooooops, I am so sorry :oops:

Thanks for letting me know! Corrected now...

Unread postPosted: 07 Jun 2019, 20:42
by f119doctor
Fighter noise is primarily a takeoff issue. While the F-22 is very loud on a Max AB takeoff, operationally most takeoffs are
made at Mil power, due to high excess thrust, especially on a hot day. This makes the F-22 significantly quieter than F-15s and F-16s, which are making Max AB takeoffs most of the time.

I’m not sure the mix of Mil vs Max AB takeoffs with the F-35. At Nellis, I saw quite a few F-35s accelerate down the runway at Max AB, but then retard to Mil shortly after lifting off. These were certainly louder than the Mil power F-22 takeoffs in the immediate area of the base, but were probably not significantly louder in the populated areas around the base.

Where I live about 10 miles west of Nellis, the loudest aircraft passing overhead are the F-15E, still in AB and not as
high as some other aircraft, not counting the B-1s which are the loudest on base and when climbing out.

None of which bothers us: The Sound of Freedom !

Unread postPosted: 07 Jun 2019, 20:49
by loke
f119doctor wrote:None of which bothers us: The Sound of Freedom !

I could not agree more!

However here we are talking about the Swiss...

I still believe the most likely outcome is that they will go for the F-35, in terms of capabilities it is far above and beyond the other (4.5 gen) fighters that to any air force, anywhere, it is a no-brainer. Only politics can change the outcome. Anyway let's wait and see.

Unread postPosted: 08 Jun 2019, 01:52
by spazsinbad
The 'loke' noise article has excerpts from an unnamed source (just NAVAIR). Noise was discussed in detail in several places on this forum a few years ago. Without searching for the posts I will say that the noise the USN refers is that experienced/ heard around the catapult. I'm hoping the good citiZENS of burleytown are not living at the threshold of their runways.

Unread postPosted: 08 Jun 2019, 15:45
by jetblast16
None of which bothers us: The Sound of Freedom !

Amen brother. Nothing beats jet blast!

Unread postPosted: 08 Jun 2019, 17:14
by quicksilver
You can almost bank on the VT opposition crowd to misrepresent either fact and/or context.

To refresh everyone’s memory —

http://www.jsf.mil/news/docs/20141031_F ... ummary.pdf

I would also point out that NAE bureaucrats were the source of much of the doom and gloom about melting flight decks and blowing people off of flight decks — complete with supporting data. Conspicuously, noise and sound suppression around the catapults had been an issue long before F-35 ever showed up on a flight deck.

Unread postPosted: 08 Jun 2019, 18:15
by madrat
Does F-35A really take off shorter than non-M variants of Rafale?

Unread postPosted: 08 Jun 2019, 23:10
by SpudmanWP
I would not put anything past them as they think that just because the F-35 is a DCA aircraft that nuke will be stored in VT and that the airport there will be a special target in the event of nuclear warfare.

What's really funny is that they have no problems with the nukes in general, just not in VT, like that will save them in the event of an all-out nuclear war.

Almost forgot, their existing F-16s are DCA too but that apparently never bothered them.

Unread postPosted: 09 Jun 2019, 07:48
by optimist
Here is one for spaz. the Aussie's did an airfield noise study on the f-35.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... RWS30m_gAj

http://www.defence.gov.au/AirCraftNoise ... Report.asp

Unread postPosted: 09 Jun 2019, 08:39
by spazsinbad
Thanks. For interest: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=23043&p=414149&hilit=noise#p414149
05 Mar 2019 "...The fighter has also turned out to be a little less noisy than predicted. Residents near Williamtown have complained about F-35 noise; however, they do so even on days when neither of the two aircraft have been flown...."

& viewtopic.php?f=58&t=23043&p=363595&hilit=noise#p363595
28 Feb 2017 "...The previous issue of noise associated with the introduction of the JSF at RAAF Base Williamtown is no longer assessed as a major issue or major risk, as the Minister for the Environment has approved the operation of the F-35A, and Defence intends to comply with the conditions for operation that the Minister for the Environment included with the approval on 17 July 2015...."

&& viewtopic.php?f=58&t=23043&p=295754&hilit=noise#p295754
17 Jul 2015 "...The Final EIS was approved with four core conditions. They include requirements to implement aircraft noise management plans in accordance with the RAAF Aircraft Noise Management Strategy as well as ongoing monitoring and public reporting of aircraft noise measurements around F-35A operating bases."

Unread postPosted: 09 Jun 2019, 10:50
by vilters
Higher Trust = Higher fuel consumption = More sound.
More trust is more sound.

What's so complicated about that?

Unread postPosted: 09 Jun 2019, 15:58
by botsing
vilters wrote:What's so complicated about that?

Noise profile.

Not what you hear but how you hear it and for how long.

The human hearing is adapted to certain sounds, which means that certain sounds frequencies are felt differently subjectively than what they are measured with equipment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour

Also the duration of that subjective noise profile is important to see how much stress it brings to the individual. For example: many might prefer a louder short grumble over a long whiny takeoff.

Unread postPosted: 09 Jun 2019, 17:14
by spazsinbad
The USN is concerned about noise at the catapult, measures have been taken and 'will be taken' to reduce aircraft engine noise. I'll bet the 'noise' heard in SWISS valley runways is quite different to runways in flat fields in the USA for example.

Unread postPosted: 09 Jun 2019, 21:45
by SpudmanWP
vilters wrote:Higher Trust = Higher fuel consumption = More sound.
More trust is more sound.

What's so complicated about that?

One other thing to consider is if one engine can produce the same thrust as another while at the same time being at mil power while the other requires AB, the mil power jet will be significantly quieter.

Unread postPosted: 10 Jun 2019, 00:51
by jetblast16
Higher Trust = Higher fuel consumption = More sound

Which do you think would be louder? A Pratt & Whitney F135 in Max AB or a General Electric GE90-115B?

Unread postPosted: 11 Jun 2019, 10:24
by noth
Two problems for the Swiss Air Force, noise related:

1) They take off AB on with the F/A-18s, as a safety measure. This generates a lot more noise than when they previously took off at 90% power, and generated a ton more complaints. Noise pollution in a space constricted country is a serious issue.

2) There was actually a referendum in the last decade launched by the mad green lobby to restrict military airflight of "tourist areas" (aka just about everywhere), because of noise pollution. Luckily it was voted down but it shows just how far the Left here will go to restrict anything military.

The F-35A if operated by the Swiss would no doubt take off on AB... No echoes yet from Payerne on how loud the locals are finding this but there's parliamentary pressure to take noise into account when selecting the future aircraft I'm afraid.

Unread postPosted: 11 Jun 2019, 11:57
by gideonic
noth wrote:Two problems for the Swiss Air Force, noise related:
The F-35A if operated by the Swiss would no doubt take off on AB...

Why is that a must? Considering it won't have any external loads and has a lot of power to bear compared to legacy aircraft. Pilots even mentioning they had to resort to afterburner on chase F-16's just to keep up with a F-35 (not using afterburner) on test flights.

Unread postPosted: 11 Jun 2019, 12:48
by optimist
why guess? there was a link to the Australian study, with all the facts on the last page.

Unread postPosted: 13 Jun 2019, 08:38
by Dragon029
https://saabgroup.com/media/news-press/ ... ght-tests/

SAAB is still offering the Gripen E, but has been asked by Sweden not to participate in the flight trials as they only want jets already operationally ready to participate. SAAB offered to fly Gripen Cs alongside Gripen Es, but that's been declined as well.

Unread postPosted: 13 Jun 2019, 11:45
by magitsu
Official communication by the ministry overseeing the matter.
https://www.vtg.admin.ch/content/vtg-in ... 75390.html
(edit: ty Dragon029)

Tidbits:
With the non-participation in the flight and ground testing Gripen E leaves the evaluation process. Retrofitting the flight and ground testing at a later stage would contradict equal treatment of all candidates and is not an option.

Based on current information and analyzes on the degree of maturity and the integration of the subsystems, specialists from armasuisse and the Swiss Air Force came to the conclusion that several of the planned missions could not be carried out in a purposeful matter. For this reason, armasuisse Saab has recommended that it withdraw from the evaluation. Apparently, Saab also came to the conclusion in a separate estimate not to participate in the flight and ground trials.

Unread postPosted: 13 Jun 2019, 11:56
by Dragon029
Link doesn't work without another ".html" on the end:

https://www.vtg.admin.ch/content/vtg-in ... 75390.html

It's confirmed then; the Gripen E will not longer be part of the competition.

Unread postPosted: 13 Jun 2019, 12:28
by krieger22
On Thursday, June 13, 2019, the Swedish manufacturer Saab armasuisse announced that Saab would not participate in the flight and ground trials for a new fighter plane for the Swiss Army in Payerne with the Gripen E. The trial for the Gripen E was scheduled from 24 to 28 June 2019. With the non-participation in the flight and soil testing Gripen E leaves the evaluation process. Retrofitting the flight and ground testing at a later stage would contradict equal treatment of all candidates and is not an option.

Unread postPosted: 13 Jun 2019, 13:26
by optimist
who's going to be brave enough to tell the gripen fanboys about this politically motivated injustice. That excluded the best fighter. So far ahead of the others. It's not even built yet.

Unread postPosted: 13 Jun 2019, 17:04
by ricnunes
optimist wrote:who's going to be brave enough to tell the gripen fanboys about this politically motivated injustice. That excluded the best fighter. So far ahead of the others. It's not even built yet.

Expect mass suicides during the next few day in BF4C :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: 13 Jun 2019, 17:56
by doge
Stunning views... 8)

Unread postPosted: 13 Jun 2019, 19:29
by playloud
doge wrote:Stunning views... 8)

Are those the tears of Gripen fanboys?

Unread postPosted: 14 Jun 2019, 14:13
by mixelflick
How does a small, relatively incapable fighter wind up with so many fan(boys)? And how does the F-35 wind up with so many detractors, especially at the stage its at??

Is SAAB's PR dept that good?

Unread postPosted: 14 Jun 2019, 14:19
by marsavian
Maybe it's the David vs Goliath syndrome where people are rooting for the underdog. I like both fighters so I don't get involved in the back and forth unless discussing interesting technical issues.

Unread postPosted: 14 Jun 2019, 16:41
by playloud
marsavian wrote:Maybe it's the David vs Goliath syndrome where people are rooting for the underdog. I like both fighters so I don't get involved in the back and forth unless discussing interesting technical issues.

I definitely think this is the case. Following BF4C for quite some time now, it is quite amusing.

Some of the claims I have seen made... wow.

- The Gripen C (small legacy radar) can see farther than an E-3 Sentry.
- The Gripen C (small legacy radar, not stealth) vs F-35 (larger AESA radar, stealth). If they were pointed at each other, the Gripen would see the F-35 on radar before the F-35 would see the Gripen.
- When LM/USAF/Pilot makes a claim about the F-35, they're lying! When Saab/SwAF/Pilot makes a claim about the Gripen, it's either gospel, or they are actually understating how awesome it is!

A few years ago (when I first found the group), a common argument was the F-35 isn't ready, so it should be disqualified as a choice. But then when you ask them which platform they prefer, it's the Gripen E! YEARS BEFORE ITS FIRST FLIGHT. I had to remind them why they thought the F-35 shouldn't be considered.

Some of them seem to think the Gripen E is going to be supercruising around with a 900 nmi combat radius. Try to explain that the jet can't supercruise with external tanks, and that it's supercruise speed of Mach 1.1 is a terrible place to be for gas mileage. It usually falls of deaf ears.

Unread postPosted: 14 Jun 2019, 16:45
by ricnunes
playloud wrote:
doge wrote:Stunning views... 8)

Are those the tears of Gripen fanboys?

LOL, good one! :mrgreen:

marsavian wrote:Maybe it's the David vs Goliath syndrome where people are rooting for the underdog.

Yeah, it's probably like those Hollywood action movies where the "good guy" only armed with a pistol faces a bunch of "bad guys" all armed with assault rifles. :roll:

Unread postPosted: 14 Jun 2019, 20:02
by SpudmanWP
mixelflick wrote:Is SAAB's PR dept that good?
Underdog syndrome combined with ABJ.

Unread postPosted: 15 Jun 2019, 03:48
by alex_f
playloud wrote:A few years ago (when I first found the group), a common argument was the F-35 isn't ready, so it should be disqualified as a choice. But then when you ask them which platform they prefer, it's the Gripen E! YEARS BEFORE ITS FIRST FLIGHT. I had to remind them why they thought the F-35 shouldn't be considered.

Most interesting, as a journo stated today is the following fact: When we voted about the Gripen, they said the aircraft would have been in use by 2018 (!). Now, it's already one year after that promised first into-service-date, and the aircraft is still not ready yet. Maybe the decision not to buy the Gripen was correct, in hindsight.

Now that the French Air Force bought some PC-21, the probabilty of the Rafale is a bit better. After all, it won the first evaluation. A bit embarassing the whole procedure... :doh:

Unread postPosted: 15 Jun 2019, 15:22
by XanderCrews
playloud wrote:
marsavian wrote:Maybe it's the David vs Goliath syndrome where people are rooting for the underdog. I like both fighters so I don't get involved in the back and forth unless discussing interesting technical issues.

I definitely think this is the case. Following BF4C for quite some time now, it is quite amusing.

Some of the claims I have seen made... wow.

- The Gripen C (small legacy radar) can see farther than an E-3 Sentry.
- The Gripen C (small legacy radar, not stealth) vs F-35 (larger AESA radar, stealth). If they were pointed at each other, the Gripen would see the F-35 on radar before the F-35 would see the Gripen.
- When LM/USAF/Pilot makes a claim about the F-35, they're lying! When Saab/SwAF/Pilot makes a claim about the Gripen, it's either gospel, or they are actually understating how awesome it is!

A few years ago (when I first found the group), a common argument was the F-35 isn't ready, so it should be disqualified as a choice. But then when you ask them which platform they prefer, it's the Gripen E! YEARS BEFORE ITS FIRST FLIGHT. I had to remind them why they thought the F-35 shouldn't be considered.

Some of them seem to think the Gripen E is going to be supercruising around with a 900 nmi combat radius. Try to explain that the jet can't supercruise with external tanks, and that it's supercruise speed of Mach 1.1 is a terrible place to be for gas mileage. It usually falls of deaf ears.

I guess I need to make my way back over to BF4C....

just gotta get dressed

Unread postPosted: 15 Jun 2019, 15:35
by ricnunes
alex_f wrote:Most interesting, as a journo stated today is the following fact: When we voted about the Gripen, they said the aircraft would have been in use by 2018 (!). Now, it's already one year after that promised first into-service-date, and the aircraft is still not ready yet. Maybe the decision not to buy the Gripen was correct, in hindsight.

I'm glad that you mentioned the above.
In another thread in same this forum I stated exactly that - that the Gripen E was supposed to be in service by 2019 - but someone with a name started by "lo" and ended by "ke" told me I was wrong and that the Gripen E was supposed to be in service by 2025 but this data was actually anticipated to 2023, LoL!

Anyway, I'm happy because either:
- I'm definitely not wrong
or,
- in the case I'm wrong (which is extremely doubtful) then I'm not the only one (which by its turn makes the chances of being wrong much slimmer) :wink:

Unread postPosted: 15 Jun 2019, 21:40
by mikc
ricnunes wrote:
alex_f wrote:Most interesting, as a journo stated today is the following fact: When we voted about the Gripen, they said the aircraft would have been in use by 2018 (!). Now, it's already one year after that promised first into-service-date, and the aircraft is still not ready yet. Maybe the decision not to buy the Gripen was correct, in hindsight.

I'm glad that you mentioned the above.
In another thread in same this forum I stated exactly that - that the Gripen E was supposed to be in service by 2019 - but someone with a name started by "lo" and ended by "ke" told me I was wrong and that the Gripen E was supposed to be in service by 2025 but this data was actually anticipated to 2023, LoL!

Anyway, I'm happy because either:
- I'm definitely not wrong
or,
- in the case I'm wrong (which is extremely doubtful) then I'm not the only one (which by its turn makes the chances of being wrong much slimmer) :wink:

Let's keep our facts straight, can we. It's just a google away, so I guess it's the second alternative.

https://www.fmv.se/en/News-and-media/Ne ... of-Gripen/

"FMV has signed an agreement with Saab to develop and modify 60 JAS 39 Gripen E for the Swedish Armed Forces. The agreement also includes provisions for new production of the JAS 39 Gripen E to Switzerland, provided that Switzerland decides to acquire the Gripen. Deliveries will start in 2018 and are scheduled to continue until 2026."

Delivery, not in service and yes according to that schedule it's a year late by now but the February 2013 contract between SAAB and FMV stipulated that 60 Gripen C´s would be modified with the first delivery being in the last quarter of 2018, that contract was modified several times on the initiativ of FMV and ended up being for the delivery of 60 entirely new builds, the first delivery being in the third quarter of 2019.

Unread postPosted: 16 Jun 2019, 01:10
by jetblast16

Unread postPosted: 16 Jun 2019, 14:17
by ricnunes
mikc wrote:Let's keep our facts straight, can we. It's just a google away, so I guess it's the second alternative.

https://www.fmv.se/en/News-and-media/Ne ... of-Gripen/

"FMV has signed an agreement with Saab to develop and modify 60 JAS 39 Gripen E for the Swedish Armed Forces. The agreement also includes provisions for new production of the JAS 39 Gripen E to Switzerland, provided that Switzerland decides to acquire the Gripen. Deliveries will start in 2018 and are scheduled to continue until 2026."

Delivery, not in service and yes according to that schedule it's a year late by now but the February 2013 contract between SAAB and FMV stipulated that 60 Gripen C´s would be modified with the first delivery being in the last quarter of 2018, that contract was modified several times on the initiativ of FMV and ended up being for the delivery of 60 entirely new builds, the first delivery being in the third quarter of 2019.

And could we stop playing with "semantics", can we?

Yes, "semantically" you may be correct that first deliveries may not directly correspond to initial in service date (or an IOC) however deliveries mean production aircraft and NOT prototypes (which is the only thing that exists regarding the Gripen E and only two of them exist).
So there's still no production Gripen E in existence which means that the program is at least 1 year delayed as you even admitted it - and I seriously bet that it will be more than this or the delay will be quite more than a single year.
But even thou, in programs that don't run on concurrency (like supposedly the Gripen E) the first deliveries aren't usually much/that earlier from an IOC (or something that resembles it).

The end result is that now in 2019, the Gripen E program is delayed and due to this Saab doesn't have any Gripen E to show/demonstrate to the Swiss and hence why it's now out from the Swiss competition, period.

Unread postPosted: 16 Jun 2019, 16:42
by gc
Not exactly a respectable source seeing how they sensationalise known F-35 issues recently. But it provides a glimpse of the swiss perspective. Seems like SAAB is spinning it their way on the removal of the Gripen from the competition.

https://www.defensenews.com/global/euro ... raft-race/

Unread postPosted: 17 Jun 2019, 06:00
by Corsair1963
Why isn't the F-15EX not in the Swiss Fighter Contest? If, it is sooo capable as it's supporters claim! :|

Unread postPosted: 17 Jun 2019, 06:25
by spazsinbad
Corsair1963 wrote:Why isn't the F-15EX not in the Swiss Fighter Contest? If, it is sooo capable as it's supporters claim! :|

For same reason the GRIPPING is NOT in the competition? Paper Planes NOT allowed in the Swiss Chocolate Factory. :roll:

Unread postPosted: 17 Jun 2019, 06:30
by XanderCrews
gc wrote:Not exactly a respectable source seeing how they sensationalise known F-35 issues recently. But it provides a glimpse of the swiss perspective. Seems like SAAB is spinning it their way on the removal of the Gripen from the competition.

https://www.defensenews.com/global/euro ... raft-race/

Swiss just trying to save them further embarrassment.

Unread postPosted: 17 Jun 2019, 13:23
by mixelflick
To me, this sets the tone for every "competition" the Gripen will enter.

If it can't win in a country known to be looking (only) at light fighters, what kind of competition can it win?

Unread postPosted: 17 Jun 2019, 13:34
by loke
mixelflick wrote:To me, this sets the tone for every "competition" the Gripen will enter.

If it can't win in a country known to be looking (only) at light fighters, what kind of competition can it win?

You are wrong. The Swiss air force is clearly preferring a larger fighter.

AFAIK one of the main reason Gripen was declared "winner" in the first round was becausel it could fit within the budget, whereas Rafale and Typhoon did not. IF they had been cheaper at the time then most likely they would have won the previous round. If you had read the leaks you would have seen that Rafale/Typhoon were clearly preferred based on technical eval alone. However when other factors were added like costs (and industrial offsets?) then Gripen became the winner. So it won the previous round not because it was a light fighter but in spite of being a light fighter. I hope you see the difference ;)

This time around both F-35 and SH participate. Both will be cheaper than Rafale/Typhoon. F-35 will also be much more capable than any of the others. F-35 will win, SH will be second, and will only win if some weird political aspect should pop up and kill the F-35 (like happened previously in Canada).

Rafale will be third and will only win if some weird politics should kill both F-35 and SH...

Unread postPosted: 17 Jun 2019, 16:30
by XanderCrews
loke wrote:
mixelflick wrote:To me, this sets the tone for every "competition" the Gripen will enter.

You are wrong. The Swiss air force is clearly preferring a larger fighter.

AFAIK one of the main reason Gripen was declared "winner" in the first round was becausel it could fit within the budget, whereas Rafale and Typhoon did not. IF they had been cheaper at the time then most likely they would have won the previous round. If you had read the leaks you would have seen that Rafale/Typhoon were clearly preferred based on technical eval alone. However when other factors were added like costs (and industrial offsets?) then Gripen became the winner. So it won the previous round not because it was a light fighter but in spite of being a light fighter. I hope you see the difference ;)

This time around both F-35 and SH participate. Both will be cheaper than Rafale/Typhoon. F-35 will also be much more capable than any of the others. F-35 will win, SH will be second, and will only win if some weird political aspect should pop up and kill the F-35 (like happened previously in Canada).

Rafale will be third and will only win if some weird politics should kill both F-35 and SH...

its good feel vindicated after all the Gripen fans who assured me for years that it was picked in Switzerland based purely on performance and technical merit, and lost their minds when I said it was simply picked based on budget and the Swiss preferred other options, while the F-35 won only on politics everywhere it went of course.

8)

Nice to see the Narrative finally bend toward what I was saying all along, and no one wanted to hear.

Welcome to phase 3, Gripen Fandom

Unread postPosted: 17 Jun 2019, 17:00
by fbw
@Loke- I seriously doubt the F-35 will be chosen by the Swiss. EU is in full court press for partners choosing European defense solutions. This time I also doubt we will be privy to the scores on the evaluation. Hopefully, some synopsis will be released prior to decision being announced, but I am sceptical. I’ve long thought Rafale is/was preferred choice before competition was even launched.

Unread postPosted: 17 Jun 2019, 17:42
by loke
fbw wrote:@Loke- I seriously doubt the F-35 will be chosen by the Swiss. EU is in full court press for partners choosing European defense solutions. This time I also doubt we will be privy to the scores on the evaluation. Hopefully, some synopsis will be released prior to decision being announced, but I am sceptical. I’ve long thought Rafale is/was preferred choice before competition was even launched.

Switzerland is not part of EU...

I may be wrong but I think cost will play a very important role (together with capabilities). This points in the direction of F-35, or, as stated previously, if F-35 must be excluded due to politics, the SH. However if politics dictates that European solution must be selected then yes of course Rafale will be the obvious choice.

Anyway, Belgium recently picked the F-35... Unlike the Netherlands, Belgium was not an F-35 partner -- and in addition the "capital" of EU is located in Belgium! In spite of all of this, neither France nor the Eurofighter partners managed to convince Belgium. I am not sure why Switzerland would be easier to influence than Belgium?

Unread postPosted: 17 Jun 2019, 17:45
by loke
XanderCrews wrote:its good feel vindicated after all the Gripen fans who assured me for years that it was picked in Switzerland based purely on performance and technical merit, and lost their minds when I said it was simply picked based on budget and the Swiss preferred other options, while the F-35 won only on politics everywhere it went of course.

8)

Nice to see the Narrative finally bend toward what I was saying all along, and no one wanted to hear.

Not sure who you are talking about -- I have been clear on this for many years now that Gripen won the "first round" in Switzerland not on capabilities but on costs (and perhaps also industrial offsets.) That should be clear to anybody who has seen the leaked evaluations, and they have been around for quite some time.

Unread postPosted: 17 Jun 2019, 18:37
by ricnunes
loke wrote:
fbw wrote:@Loke- I seriously doubt the F-35 will be chosen by the Swiss. EU is in full court press for partners choosing European defense solutions. This time I also doubt we will be privy to the scores on the evaluation. Hopefully, some synopsis will be released prior to decision being announced, but I am sceptical. I’ve long thought Rafale is/was preferred choice before competition was even launched.

I may be wrong but I think cost will play a very important role (together with capabilities). This points in the direction of F-35, or, as stated previously, if F-35 must be excluded due to politics, the SH. However if politics dictates that European solution must be selected then yes of course Rafale will be the obvious choice.

Anyway, Belgium recently picked the F-35... Unlike the Netherlands, Belgium was not an F-35 partner -- and in addition the "capital" of EU is located in Belgium! In spite of all of this, neither France nor the Eurofighter partners managed to convince Belgium. I am not sure why Switzerland would be easier to influence than Belgium?

I agree with what loke said above.
Moreover if Switzerland chooses the F-35 then it wouldn't be the first time that it chooses a top US-Fighter (F/A-18) instead of an European fighter aircraft.

Unread postPosted: 17 Jun 2019, 19:45
by fbw
loke wrote:

True Switzerland is not part of the EU, they have bilateral agreements that allow them access without having to follow EU regulations on things such as taxes (while also contributing funds for EU projects, agreeing to EU free movement agenda up until the 2014 referendum, etc.) The possible termination of these agreements is in the news right now. But I do think the EU push for European defense initiatives will weigh on the Swiss decision, and suspect there will be back channel pressure to this effect “you want continued access to the EU common marketplace, and we are your biggest trade partners”.
Edit- The current German government’s rejection of the F-35 and cashiering of outspoken General, as well as (admittedly lukewarm) support for European defense fund is problematic, and while Typhoon would seem to be a bit of a long shot for air2030... there are two entries supplied by European defense corporations.

Belgium is at least a NATO member so the choice of the F-35 makes sense politically, and in regards to their defense posture. Not to mention, Belgium chose the F-35 before Germany and France started squawking “buy European”.

Anyway, just my gut feeling.... they will choose a Rafale.

Unread postPosted: 17 Jun 2019, 21:11
by XanderCrews
loke wrote:
XanderCrews wrote:its good feel vindicated after all the Gripen fans who assured me for years that it was picked in Switzerland based purely on performance and technical merit, and lost their minds when I said it was simply picked based on budget and the Swiss preferred other options, while the F-35 won only on politics everywhere it went of course.

8)

Not sure who you are talking about -- I have been clear on this for many years now that Gripen won the "first round" in Switzerland not on capabilities but on costs (and perhaps also industrial offsets.) That should be clear to anybody who has seen the leaked evaluations, and they have been around for quite some time.

Youre not sure who? have you never actually encountered other Gripen fans on the internet? Go hand out around Best Fighter for Canada. Correct them as much as possible, no one else can

Unread postPosted: 18 Jun 2019, 11:47
by ricnunes
fbw wrote:Not to mention, Belgium chose the F-35 before Germany and France started squawking “buy European”.

Well the "buy European" squawking/pressure was certainly present and targeted at Belgium well before it decided to buy the F-35, namely by the French. If you recall, there was a very strong pressure by the French towards Belgium to buy the Rafale - They even got to the point of by-passing Belgium's competition and directly offer the Rafale with a bunch of supposed industrial offsets.
I would say that so far Belgium was probably the country in the west that suffered more pressures from an external country (France in this case) to buy a certain fighter aircraft.

fbw wrote:Anyway, just my gut feeling.... they will choose a Rafale.

I don't know and I kind doubt it. If look at the previous Swiss competition (the one that the Gripen NG "won") the Rafale was rejected because of cost/pricetag. And since then the Rafale didn't get any cheaper.
And since it's known that the F-35 is cheaper (not to mention far more capable) than the Rafale...

Unread postPosted: 18 Jun 2019, 11:51
by hythelday
The problem with this "EU pressure" idea is that Eurofighter is also in the competition. First, I do not believe "EU pressure" exists to any meaningful extent in the first place, second even if it does - which plane is preferred by "EU pressure"?

Unread postPosted: 19 Jun 2019, 16:14
by loke
I think Switzerland would react quite negatively to any "EU pressure". The only thing Dassault/Eurofighter can do, is to put together a package that is very attractive in terms of ToT and massive industrial offsets; common training, perhaps common maintanence, etc.

Still I think cost will be very important and therefore I believe F-35 will be the most likely winner, with SH the runner-up. One challenge for the F-35 on the cost side is that operational costs are still quite high, and this could potentially kill the F-35. OTOH it is much more capable so probably fewer F-35 will be needed compared to SH or Rafale. Typhoon I think will be out...

Unread postPosted: 20 Jun 2019, 03:18
by XanderCrews
loke wrote:I think Switzerland would react quite negatively to any "EU pressure". The only thing Dassault/Eurofighter can do, is to put together a package that is very attractive in terms of ToT and massive industrial offsets; common training, perhaps common maintanence, etc.

Still I think cost will be very important and therefore I believe F-35 will be the most likely winner, with SH the runner-up. One challenge for the F-35 on the cost side is that operational costs are still quite high, and this could potentially kill the F-35. OTOH it is much more capable so probably fewer F-35 will be needed compared to SH or Rafale. Typhoon I think will be out...

SH got discluded on the first round because it woudn't fit into their mountainside hangars.

F-35s are compact:

not saying anything either way, just saying

Unread postPosted: 20 Jun 2019, 03:50
by rheonomic
What are the odds the procurement goes through this time instead of getting cancelled in a referendum?

Unread postPosted: 20 Jun 2019, 10:07
by Tiger05
rheonomic wrote:What are the odds the procurement goes through this time instead of getting cancelled in a referendum?

I am wondering too... I have the feeling that this new competition might just be a fool's errand. Given the strength of the anti-military lobby in Switzerland and the general disinterest in defense matters from the Swiss population, they might be crazy enough to reject this procurement of new jets. If that were to be the case, this would not bode well for the future of the Swiss AF's fighter component. :|

Unread postPosted: 20 Jun 2019, 13:56
by XanderCrews
rheonomic wrote:What are the odds the procurement goes through this time instead of getting cancelled in a referendum?

If your'e gonna win the lottery you gotta buy a ticket

Unread postPosted: 20 Jun 2019, 16:15
by loke
XanderCrews wrote:
SH got discluded on the first round because it woudn't fit into their mountainside hangars.

Any sources for that claim?

AFAIK SH was invited but they choose to withdraw:
“After a thorough review of Switzerland’s requirements for partial replacement of its Tiger fighter aircraft, Boeing has decided not to enter the competition due to the disparity between the requirements for an F-5 replacement aircraft and the next-generation capabilities of the F/A-18E/F Block II Super Hornet

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... ce-223401/

"too big" and "next-generatoin capabilities" don't sound like the same thing to me...

I suspect the real reason SH dropped out from the first round was that they believed the SH would not fit into the budget...? and/or could not meet requirements in terms of ToT and/or industrial offsets -- but I would guess mainly the budget -- and history proved them to be right for the first round.

Unread postPosted: 20 Jun 2019, 17:07
by XanderCrews
loke wrote:
XanderCrews wrote:

Any sources for that claim?

AFAIK SH was invited but they choose to withdraw:
“After a thorough review of Switzerland’s requirements for partial replacement of its Tiger fighter aircraft, Boeing has decided not to enter the competition due to the disparity between the requirements for an F-5 replacement aircraft and the next-generation capabilities of the F/A-18E/F Block II Super Hornet

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... ce-223401/

"too big" and "next-generatoin capabilities" don't sound like the same thing to me...

I suspect the real reason SH dropped out from the first round was that they believed the SH would not fit into the budget...? and/or could not meet requirements in terms of ToT and/or industrial offsets -- but I would guess mainly the budget -- and history proved them to be right for the first round.

Hornet vs. Super Hornet
(click to view full)
Boeing’s F/A-18 E/F Super Hornet offered the advantage of some commonalities with Switzerland’s existing F/A-18C/D Hornet fleet, even if the actual commonality rating is under 30%. It’s also a mid-tier aircraft, with likely flyaway costs of $60-75 million for a new customer. It was difficult to imagine a scenario in which the original Swiss budget yielded enough Super Hornet aircraft, and as is often the case in Europe, opposition to sales from American firms was expected to be a factor.

"Concerns were also expressed about the ability to fit these aircraft into the Swiss aircraft shelters, many of which are carved into mountainsides; indeed, there had been rumors that the Super Hornet would be excluded from the competition on those grounds alone.

The Super Hornet offered solid performance, and was a legitimate competitor, with pricing that could match or beat competitors like the Rafale and Eurofighter – but it was flying into strong headwinds. In the end, the questions became moot. Boeing looked at the RFP requirements, and bowed out."

source Defense industry daily aggreagator site

And isn't boeing offering BLOCK III now? So they somehow found a way to "forgive" themselves for the "disparity"
of having to replace the lowly F-5 :roll:

I'd believe that the hangar space issue was more real than Boeing just not having the heart to sell airplanes :roll:

Unread postPosted: 25 Jul 2019, 17:29
by krieger22
Lockheed Martin posted a "highlight reel" of the F-35 over Switzerland

https://twitter.com/thef35/status/11544 ... 92832?s=20

Unread postPosted: 29 Aug 2019, 05:07
by Corsair1963
Making the case for the F-35???

Swiss seek package deal of ground-based weapons, combat aircraft
By: Sebastian Sprenger

COLOGNE, Germany — The Swiss government plans to make the integration of combat aircraft and ground-based air defense assets a key benchmark in its planned $8 billion Air 2030 program, according to officials.

Program leaders disclosed the desire for a high degree of interplay between the two competing missile-defense offers and four possible aircraft types during a news conference in the capital Bern earlier this month. The comments reveal a new front in the selection criteria for one of Europe’s most prized defense acquisitions, where the air and ground portions had always existed as separate tracks.

Fear of fratricide in Switzerland’s small and crowded airspace is one of two key factors driving the need for close integration between ground and aerial assets, said Swiss Air Force Col. Marco Forrer. Given the country’s alpine terrain and the requirement to hit targets more than 50 kilometers away and over 12 kilometers high, official are concerned about erroneously downing civilian planes, he said.

“That’s why BodLuv has to be integrated into the Air Force operational picture and command-and-control network,” Forrer said, referring to the German-language acronym for the ground-based program Bodengestützte Luftverteidigung.

Forrer added that a high level of integration also is crucial to keeping costs down, enabling air defenders to engage targets with greater precision and — hopefully — fewer misses.

https://www.defensenews.com/global/euro ... -aircraft/

Unread postPosted: 16 Sep 2019, 17:51
by doge
I found an Italian's article about Switzerland F-35. The language is Italian. (I used Google Translate.)
https://www.aresdifesa.it/2019/06/13/pr ... -svizzera/
This new article adds Rafale, Typhoon, F/A-18EF. https://www.aviation-report.com/svizzer ... et-legacy/
The underline is my favorite part. 8)
The article says that the Range or Radius of the F-35 is longer than the competitors. :shock: (!?)
How much is the range for Rafale, Typhoon, F/A-18EF, (Gripen E?)? :devil:
Official presentation of the F-35 to Switzerland
June 13, 2019 Gianluca Conversi
“In the short term, the stealth technology of our fifth-generation platforms, F-22 and F-35, is the price of combat admission. The lethality of advanced air defense systems continues to grow against fourth-generation aircraft ". General Mark Welsh, former Chief of Staff, US Air Force
The Swiss Army "defends the country and protects its population".
In order to continue to fulfill this constitutional mandate, the Air Force must renew almost all of their resources for the protection of Switzerland from air threats. The F / A-18 Hornet fighter planes will reach the end of their lives in 2030, while, now, the remaining F-5 Tigers can be used for the air police service only during the day and in good visibility conditions, not having anyway no chance of success against an opponent with even slightly more modern aircraft. For this reason, the Swiss Federal Council has authorized the Federal Department of Defense, Civil Protection and Sport (DDPS) to plan the renewal of all the vehicles currently in service or missing (such as medium-long range air defense) for a maximum amount of CHF 8 billion.

As for the replacement of the two combat aircraft, the few and older light fighters Northrop F-5E Tiger II in service since 1978 and the more modern McDonnell-Douglas (now Boeing) F / A-18C / D Hornet bi-reactor, the DDPS has pre-selected 5 aircraft manufacturers to present an offer that includes 100% industrial offsets for Swiss industries, logistics support, training and of course the purchase of "up to" 40 aircraft. The evaluation coordinated by Armasuisse, called Air2030, involved the analysis of the bids received, the ground and flight tests from the Payerne base of the aircraft offered with Swiss personnel (still in progress), the compatibility check of tracks, junctions, hangars, shelters (including the famous Meiringen caves), analysis of the data collected and the subsequent presentation to the Federal Council by September 2019 to arrive at the conclusion of the final contract by mid-2020.

The planes will have to enter quickly, hopefully starting from 2025, the year in which the " phase-out " of the surviving Hornets will begin. Eurofighter (via Airbus), Boeing, Dassault, Lockheed Martin and Saab are the manufacturers involved in the Swiss requirement with their EF-2000 Typhoon jets, F / A-18E / F Super Hornet, Rafale, F-35A and Jas-39E Gripen NG. Lockheed Martin's other best-selling plane was not selected, the F-16 in its most recent and “gadget” version V. The official press conference on the sidelines of the Axalp 2018 aviation shots held by the new Swiss "Divisional" Air Force Commander Bernhard "Beni" Müller has well described the international political-military framework with the return of power politics and the way to go to get to the renewal of the combat aircraft fleet.

Müller's intervention continued, recalling that fighter planes remain in service for at least thirty years and that it is not possible to predict today, in such a broad temporal mirror, what the world situation could be when entering service of new means and in which technological scenario would also be called upon to work, consequently which security policy can be implemented now and which airplanes will be suitable for tomorrow's challenges, ie after 2030. All this introduces the presentation of the fourth candidate whose evaluation is in the final phase, that is the only true fifth generation aircraft currently in service in the world and able to carry out the tasks of the "after 2030": the Lockheed Martin F-35. Last June 7th we attended the day that Lockheed Martin, Armasuisse (the body that coordinates purchases of defense equipment) and Schweizer Armee dedicated to Media and Aviation Enthusiasts (official Media Day in the morning and Spotters Day in the afternoon).

Information of respect for the public and the media is held in high regard at every level; both the Armed Forces and Armasuisse produce regular reports and the selection of candidates for the new combat aircraft has been widely publicized; participation in events, public, was addressed in a structured, professional, transparent manner and shared with the media well in advance. With the exclusion of the public media, it was possible to register through dedicated websites for Media Day and Spotters Day of each demonstration until reaching the maximum number of candidates envisaged by Armasuisse; registrations took place within a specific time frame and no waivers or favors were granted to anyone. A confirmation e-mail with the instructions, once the ritual checks have been completed, has arrived to the registered guests. Certainly, as far as public relations are concerned, Switzerland has adopted an admirable policy that deserves to be replicated.

In Switzerland, the sharing (always within certain limits) of sensitive decisions that touch on the one hand national security, industry and employment - not to forget the impact on tax payers - takes place with the appropriate emphasis and sharing with the citizens of the Confederation who in many situations are called to the polls to choose or reject the choices of the Federal Council by referendum, also to validate or reject the purchase of combat aircraft. In 1993, 57.2% of Swiss voters voted in favor of buying 34 F / A-18 Hornets (4 two-seaters) but, called to the polls in May 2014, the purchase of 22 Saab Jas-39C / D fighters Gripen was rejected by 53.4% ​​of voters. The hot controversies surrounding the Joint Strike Fighter were of that time and analysts at the time believed that the scenario in which the vote was organized influenced the outcome of the vote. Five years later, the Gripen E is still a prototype, the Eurofighter Tranche 4 (advocated by Airbus for the German Luftwaffe) does not fly at all.

The Super Hornet in the Block III version is being industrialized and can guarantee 60% compatibility with the current structures that support the current legacy Hornet fleet, while the Dassault Rafale (F4 version) is driven by government pressure very strong and from the recent purchase of 19 Pilatus PC-21 trainers by the Armée de l'Air which could (around 2030 ... coincidence?) replace the obsolete Alpha Jet E of the Patrouille de France with the Swiss turboprops. The ones listed above, no matter what the builders say, are fourth-generation planes or, as it is usually called, of fourth plus (4+).

The F-35 for Switzerland
Unlike previous builders who sent a pair of aircraft including two-seater aircraft, Lockheed Martin and USAF brought 4 F-35A Lightning II from 34th Fighter Squadron "Raw Rams" to Hill AFB, Utah, to Switzerland. preceded by a Boeing C-17A "Globemaster III" cargo of the 437Th AW / 315Th "Charleston" of the "Air Mobility Command" which dumped men and materials.

The 4 F-35As arrived in Payerne on the evening of May 31 last came from the Aviano base where they arrived along with 8 other aircraft.

The press conference for the presentation of the F-35 SI aircraft was carried out surrounded by a massive multi-level marketing effort (information brochures, aircraft models, flight simulators, helmets and ALIS, various gadgets, leaflets but also accompanied by a sumptuous catering service not only for media and authorities but also… hear hears… for spotters and simple citizens who have approached the Payerne base networks.

A scenario of this type very difficult to see in our latitudes.

According to many, Lockheed Martin has largely outclassed, at least at the commercial level, the presentations of Airbus, Boeing and Dassault and we will see what Saab will do as the last contender to present its own aircraft.

The press conference was attended by Steve Callaghan of Lockheed Martin, Program Director F-35 & Navy, of the USAF military Colonel David Buchanan (USAF) of the Joint Program Office (JPO), Colonel Drew “Growler” Allen of the USA Integration Office , Colonel Michael Miles of the 388th Maintenance Group commander, Hill AFB and John "Bama" Montgomery of Northrop-Grumman Airborne C4ISR Systems.

Other executives from Pratt & Whitney (engine supplier) and Lockheed contributed to the Media Day.

Lockheed Martin speakers understood the Swiss requirement and reaffirmed how important it is for Switzerland to maintain political and military neutrality, but in an increasingly turbulent world that is continually evolving, the F-35 is the best platform that is offered to Swiss armed forces to adapt and better face these threats now as in the decades to come. Peace and stability are too important not to be guaranteed and the F-35, with its revolutionary technology, allows nations that are endowed, small or large, to maintain Peace through this strength which is the 5th generation aircraft offered.

Selecting the JSF, Switzerland would obviously enter the group of 13 nations that currently have ordered it and in a world where threats are increasingly sophisticated, the F-35 offers the air-policing mission (primary for the Schweizer Luftwaffe) just as sophisticated responsiveness.

The pilot's intervention by Colonel Drew "Growler" Allen, focused on the technical capabilities of the aircraft and its peculiar characteristics that allow a rapid take-off and the achievement of the cruising altitude in a very short time thanks to the most powerful engine ever mounted on a fighter plane that within a few years should exceed 41,000 pounds of thrust thanks to new investments and improvement projects for this already efficient and reliable product by Pratt & Whitney.

The other aspect emphasized, is the ability of the F-35 to remain in flight longer than all the other contenders, reducing the number of daily sorties; in fact, none of the contenders can go further and stay in the air more than what can be obtained from the F-35.

Switzerland does not have a supply company, so the autonomy of the new fighter can be crucial.

Colonel David Buchanan, in addition to illustrating the "state of the art" of the Joint Strike Fighter Program, stressed that the $ 80 million unit cost is competitive with 4th generation legacy aircraft.

More than 400 aircraft delivered, will be 868 in 2022 and over 500 in Europe by 2030; over 200,000 hours flown, 850 pilots and 7500 trained airmen located on 17 bases that will become 30 in 2022 make it already a best-seller.

With regard to industrial opportunities, it has been specified that 25% of each aircraft flying in the world mounts components manufactured in Europe and even Swiss aircraft will surely have “Made In Switzerland” parts on board.

This is certainly the weak link in Lockheed Martin's proposal, so 100% offset will have to be achieved through other programs.

In the short Question Time that closed the official part and preceded the visit to the track to photograph one of the 4 planes present in the base and attend the take-offs and landings of the second morning mission (each test mission includes 4 F / A-18 Hornet side by side 2 aircraft under evaluation), we asked the JPO about the future of Cameri, home to one of the 3 plants able to produce complete airplanes under the JSF program.

Officially, all sites produce important parts of the F-35, results of very complex agreements. The production of aircraft outside the Fort Worth, TX line is essentially the result of agreements between governments and at the moment, in addition to Italian aircraft (28 products between 2022 and in production) for the Novara plant, only 29 F are certain -35A in production for the Royal Netherlands Air Force, while the "long lead materials" intended for the manufacture of post-2022 Italian aircraft are not yet ordered.

So under-employed, with a handful of planes a year (FACO could, at full capacity, produce between 15 and 24 per year) the use of the sophisticated Cameri plant co-managed by Leonardo and Lockheed Martin on behalf of Italian Defense would seem, if not adequately sponsored, a great opportunity for now wasted at the expense of employment, induced and country-system country credibility, forcing AM and MM to receive very slowly the planes they would need.

The press conference ended with the "recap" of the points in favor of the F-35 that Armasuisse and legislators should consider as key points in the final choice:
    ・F-35 to support Swiss air defense for the next 40 years with spiral development aimed at keeping them constantly up-to-date.
    ・The most performing aircraft for Swiss Air Policing missions.
    ・Planned modernization and logistic support.
    ・Economics of scale and sustainability.
    ・Industrial participation in support of Swiss neutrality.
    ・Opportunities for integration and cooperation with US and regional operators equipped with the same aircraft.
During the missions we were able to attend, we found no problems with the airplanes presented in flight, just as the exit and return to the hangars occurred without any particular problems; after all, the F-35A is much more contained in terms of maximum dimensions compared to the current legacy Hornets which, like the "big brother" Super Hornet, have the possibility to fold their wings to reduce the overall dimensions:
    F-35A L: 15.67m W: 10.70m H: 4.33m
    F/A-18C / D L: 17.07m W: 11.43m H: 4.66m
    The other contenders:
    Rafale L: 15.27m W: 10.86m H: 5.34m
    Typhoon L: 15.96m W: 10.95m H: 5.28m
    F/A-18E / F L: 18.31m W: 13.62m H: 4.88m
    Gripen E L: 15.2m W: 8.6m H: 4.5m
The tests continued with some missions on the Alpine base of Meiringen where the narrowest spaces and the shelter in the caves can become elements of a certain relevance when all the data collected during the selection process will be compared.

The F-35 closed the demonstration phases on the ground and in the air, because Armasuisse, in a note dated June 13, invited Saab not to participate in the Gripen E evaluation which is not yet operational and is still subjected to tests by Saab; as is known, among the requirements of Air2030 there is the condition that the aircraft admitted to the ground and in-flight assessment sessions are operational during 2019, and the Gripen E is not.

As reported by the prestigious newspaper Tages Anzaiger , which came into possession of a letter from Armasuisse sent to the 5 builders last January and signed by the director of the Darko Savic organization, the Swiss armaments management would have strongly warned the participants not to send non-aircraft able to satisfy the tests required in the requirements.

Savic would also have explained that neither his management nor the Swiss people would have accepted justifications for the inadequacy of certain apparatuses provided on the plane and still not ready or being defined.

If one of the requirements was to test real aircraft, in flight and not prototypes not yet certified, it would mean for Armasuisse that they are not mature and reliable aircraft to perform the tasks required of them when they enter service. The exclusion from the tender, is specified by Tages Anzeiger, could also have been taken to flight tests in progress.

The consequences of this resounding breakthrough could mean that Saab is out of Air2030 and certainly represents a heavy setback for the Swedish manufacturer in terms of image and marketing of Gripen E.

In a communiqué issued immediately after the exclusion from flight testing, Saab states that "Gripen E is the best choice for Switzerland and the offer presented in January is still valid. Saab is ready to deliver at least 40 fighter planes on time in compliance with the requirements and with all the equipment indicated in the offer ”.

Except for sensational developments, the Gripen E is today excluded from Air2030 which, according to a survey commissioned by the same newspaper, would see the F-35 winner today followed by Super Hornet and Rafale.

Other Swiss articles and F-35.com's Swiss page have something similar as well.
https://theaviationgeekclub.com/f-35-li ... -air-base/
https://www.f35.com/global/participation/switzerland
The aircraft can be dispatched rapidly and climbs quickly. “With a high thrust engine and internal weapons, the F-35 is able to remain airborne longer than any of its competitors,” Alan Norman, Lockheed Martin F-35 Chief Test Pilot, explained to The Aviation Geek Club.