Swiss Lightning?

Program progress, politics, orders, and speculation
  • Author

Tiger05

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post20 Jun 2019, 10:07

rheonomic wrote:What are the odds the procurement goes through this time instead of getting cancelled in a referendum?

I am wondering too... I have the feeling that this new competition might just be a fool's errand. Given the strength of the anti-military lobby in Switzerland and the general disinterest in defense matters from the Swiss population, they might be crazy enough to reject this procurement of new jets. If that were to be the case, this would not bode well for the future of the Swiss AF's fighter component. :|

XanderCrews

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post20 Jun 2019, 13:56

rheonomic wrote:What are the odds the procurement goes through this time instead of getting cancelled in a referendum?

If your'e gonna win the lottery you gotta buy a ticket
Choose Crews

loke

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post20 Jun 2019, 16:15

XanderCrews wrote:
SH got discluded on the first round because it woudn't fit into their mountainside hangars.

Any sources for that claim?

AFAIK SH was invited but they choose to withdraw:
“After a thorough review of Switzerland’s requirements for partial replacement of its Tiger fighter aircraft, Boeing has decided not to enter the competition due to the disparity between the requirements for an F-5 replacement aircraft and the next-generation capabilities of the F/A-18E/F Block II Super Hornet

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... ce-223401/

"too big" and "next-generatoin capabilities" don't sound like the same thing to me...

I suspect the real reason SH dropped out from the first round was that they believed the SH would not fit into the budget...? and/or could not meet requirements in terms of ToT and/or industrial offsets -- but I would guess mainly the budget -- and history proved them to be right for the first round.

XanderCrews

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post20 Jun 2019, 17:07

loke wrote:
XanderCrews wrote:
SH got discluded on the first round because it woudn't fit into their mountainside hangars.

Any sources for that claim?

AFAIK SH was invited but they choose to withdraw:
“After a thorough review of Switzerland’s requirements for partial replacement of its Tiger fighter aircraft, Boeing has decided not to enter the competition due to the disparity between the requirements for an F-5 replacement aircraft and the next-generation capabilities of the F/A-18E/F Block II Super Hornet

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... ce-223401/

"too big" and "next-generatoin capabilities" don't sound like the same thing to me...

I suspect the real reason SH dropped out from the first round was that they believed the SH would not fit into the budget...? and/or could not meet requirements in terms of ToT and/or industrial offsets -- but I would guess mainly the budget -- and history proved them to be right for the first round.

Hornet vs. Super Hornet
(click to view full)
Boeing’s F/A-18 E/F Super Hornet offered the advantage of some commonalities with Switzerland’s existing F/A-18C/D Hornet fleet, even if the actual commonality rating is under 30%. It’s also a mid-tier aircraft, with likely flyaway costs of $60-75 million for a new customer. It was difficult to imagine a scenario in which the original Swiss budget yielded enough Super Hornet aircraft, and as is often the case in Europe, opposition to sales from American firms was expected to be a factor.

"Concerns were also expressed about the ability to fit these aircraft into the Swiss aircraft shelters, many of which are carved into mountainsides; indeed, there had been rumors that the Super Hornet would be excluded from the competition on those grounds alone.

The Super Hornet offered solid performance, and was a legitimate competitor, with pricing that could match or beat competitors like the Rafale and Eurofighter – but it was flying into strong headwinds. In the end, the questions became moot. Boeing looked at the RFP requirements, and bowed out."

source Defense industry daily aggreagator site

And isn't boeing offering BLOCK III now? So they somehow found a way to "forgive" themselves for the "disparity"
of having to replace the lowly F-5 :roll:

I'd believe that the hangar space issue was more real than Boeing just not having the heart to sell airplanes :roll:
Choose Crews
Previous

Return to Program and politics