Commander Naval Air Forces wants more F/A-18s

Military aircraft - Post cold war aircraft, including for example B-2, Gripen, F-18E/F Super Hornet, Rafale, and Typhoon.
Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by outlaw162 » 08 Nov 2017, 05:18

At least the actual flight went well.

You might more cheaply be able to use a pillow for the ROBD.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by ricnunes » 08 Nov 2017, 13:45

maus92 wrote:The center fuel tank can be jettisoned, whether or not an IRST is installed. But that tank is never jettisoned except in an emergency.

And guess what?? Just like any other external fuel tank! Or do you believe that any external fuel tank is jettisoned "lightly"?
ANY and EVERY external fuel tank is ONLY jettisoned in emergency situations (It doesn't matter if it has IRSTs attached or not)! External fuel tanks - even the ones that only carry fuel - still costs money (and are relatively expensive) and as such they are always available in limited numbers.

So, the point still remains:
Are you going to jettison an expensive and above all, "sensitive" piece of equipment (IRST) even in an emergency situation just because it is attached to an external fuel tank?
Even if the answer is a yes - That's PLAIN STUPID nonetheless!

maus92 wrote:The tank can also be swapped with / to other Super Hornets as deployments dictate, as it was with the TCS on the F-14As.

And?? Does this make this arrangement less stupid?
“Active stealth” is what the ignorant nay sayers call EW and pretend like it’s new.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by mor10 » 08 Nov 2017, 19:18

spazsinbad wrote:
‘A Terrifying Experience’: Senator Discusses Navy Hypoxia Demo [TRY 1st Night Deck Landing for TERRIFYING] :devil:
07 Nov 2017 Hope Hodge Seck

...Ernst said she participated in a hypoxia simulation in which she was strapped into a reduced-oxygen breathing device, or ROBD, a mask that allows the amount of oxygen flow to be controlled and reduced. The symptoms she experienced, she said, were “textbook.” “My face got hot and flushed, my fingers started tingling, I got numb. My legs started tingling. It was very hard to concentrate,” she said. “And they put us through a battery of questions and we had to answer. It was horrible.”
Source: https://www.defensetech.org/2017/11/07/ ... oxia-demo/

I have had those exact feelings twice in my life. Once while driving home from work, suffering from a sudden, surprise case of kidney stone pain. The other was during an extremely rough landing in a DeHavilland Twin Otter. Only on the third attempt did the pilot successfully land it, in close to hurricane force wind. After the fact I felt both cases was me entering a state of shock.
Former Flight Control Technican - We keep'em flying

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by outlaw162 » 08 Nov 2017, 19:34

Somehow I can't get out of my head a picture of her with the mask on looking like Darth Vader....

"Luke, I am your mother." :shock:

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 09 Nov 2017, 16:40

More POXY stories from AvWEAK:
Podcast: Combat Aircraft Safety
09 Nov 2017 Jen DiMascio, Guy Norris and Lara Seligman | Aviation Week & Space Technology

The U.S. military’s pilots have reported an increasing number of physiological episodes, such as a lack of oxygen. Aviation Week’s Pentagon Editor Lara Seligman discusses the latest in this ongoing problem and some of the potential solutions. Plus, Senior Technology Editor Guy Norris describes the Automated Integrated Collision Avoidance System developed by Lockheed Martin and the U.S. Air Force, which is being designed to prevent F-16 crashes in mid-air and with the ground.”

Source: http://aviationweek.com/air-combat-safe ... aft-safety

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 10 Nov 2017, 02:35

https://news.usni.org/2017/11/09/physio ... back-norma

Physiological Episodes Down in the Navy After Slew of Changes; New Pilot Production Rate Nearly Back to Normal

lWASHINGTON, D.C. — The Navy’s multi-pronged efforts to address hypoxia, decompression sickness and other physiological episodes (PEs) in its F-18 and T-45 aircrew are showing positive results, with the number of PE events down in most aircraft types and the T-45C Goshawk trainers set to resume full operations by the end of the month, according to the commander of Naval Air Forces.

Vice Adm. Mike Shoemaker told USNI News today that “the trends right now on the physiological episodes are very good.”
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 10 Nov 2017, 03:57

Only one-third of Super Hornets ready to ‘fight tonight’ as of October, admiral says
09 Nov 2017 Geoff Ziezulewicz

"Just a third of the Navy’s F/A-18 Super Hornets were fully mission-capable and ready to “fight tonight” as of October, the head of Naval Air Forces told Congress on Friday. Only half of the service’s 542 Super Hornets were flyable as of last month, Vice Adm. Troy Shoemaker told the House Subcommittee on Readiness at a hearing on aviation readiness...."

Source: https://www.defensenews.com/news/your-n ... iral-says/

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by outlaw162 » 10 Nov 2017, 04:24

with the number of PE events down in most aircraft types

You know, except for the required annual visit, from my experience there was a 'general reluctance' among pilots to have anything to do with the flight surgeon. Possibly that point of view is making a comeback.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 10 Nov 2017, 04:54

That would be my experience also but overcome at the time by having two navy surgeon lieutenants becoming pilots, one flying helicopters the other the A4G - but not learning how to use weapons - just flying (Hippocratic oath and all that). This was the early 1970s - the jet doc went on to a long career in the Navy medical-wise (I guess he swapped to helos).

At the time the jet doc converted to the A4G he researched the 'pure oxygen under pressure at low level cough' we had & explained it to us of course. As I mentioned one pilot was affected more than others - he died crashing into sea from LOW.

acceleration atelectasis is the phrase to medically describe the condition (especially at low level).

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 19 Nov 2017, 09:13

:roll: Just when you thought it was safe to suck OBOGS (or whatever they have in TEXAS) :drool: T-6 is not a deep 6 one hopes.
T-6 aircraft operations on pause at Vance
16 Nov 2017 By James Neal

"Vance Air Force Base confirmed Friday it has temporarily pulled its T-6 Texan II training aircraft from flight operations.
In a press release, the base said the 71st Flying Training Wing's more-than 100 T-6 aircraft were placed on an "operational pause" after several "physiological incidents" in the aircraft. The press release stated the action was taken Wednesday
"after a fourth physiological event occurred since Nov. 1."

According to base officials, four instructor pilots and one student pilot assigned to Vance have reported physiological incidents while flying this month. "In each case, the aircraft's backup oxygen system operated as designed, and the pilot followed the correct procedures, landing the aircraft safely," the press release stated. The press release did not specify the nature of the physiological incidents, and Vance Public Affairs said further details were not available Friday....

...Currently, the local flying operational pause is limited to Vance Air Force Base T-6 Texans. Because the incidents are limited to the T-6 airframe, T-1 Jayhawk and T-38 Talon flight operations will continue...."

Source: http://www.enidnews.com/news/state/t–aircraft-operations-on-pause-at-vance/article_f9ee5014-1996-5f55-95b2-cf5a46601d47.html

"...A.7 T-6A Texan II
The OBOGS on the T-6A consists of the OC1132 Oxygen Concentrator (Figure A-7 below). This concentrator consists of two beds of packed 13X zeolite with a 0.01 micron inlet filter and a 0.1 micron outlet filter on the zeolite beds. Its functioning is similar to that on the F-15E with the exception that its plenum is sized at 300 cubic inches (in). The unit size is approximately 13 x 9 x 10 inches.

The T-6A has had a low rate of reported hypoxia incidents. Early system reliability was degraded to 967 hours MTBF due to problems with a faulty slide valve and a pressure reducer. Recent reliability is much improved. No unknown cause incidents have been reported...." http://www.airforcemag.com/DocumentFile ... 020112.pdf (3.8Mb)
Attachments
T-6texanOBOGS.jpg

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by outlaw162 » 19 Nov 2017, 17:47

:D
Last edited by outlaw162 on 19 Nov 2017, 18:59, edited 1 time in total.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by outlaw162 » 19 Nov 2017, 18:11

Gone
Last edited by outlaw162 on 19 Nov 2017, 18:57, edited 1 time in total.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 19 Nov 2017, 18:25

:devil: :doh: TEXAS was just my joke - think Kansas, another joke? I'm Australian and rather everything was in HAWAII! :roll: 8)

Personally I'm really not interested in this TEXAN aircraft however NATOPS manuals interest me so here is the T-6B:

http://www.grayskies.info/DOWNLOADS/NAV ... _w_IC6.pdf (25.8Mb)

USAF T-6A TEXAN Flight Manual: http://static.e-publishing.af.mil/produ ... 11-248.pdf (4.6Mb)

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by maus92 » 20 Nov 2017, 03:03

ricnunes wrote:
maus92 wrote:The center fuel tank can be jettisoned, whether or not an IRST is installed. But that tank is never jettisoned except in an emergency.

And guess what?? Just like any other external fuel tank! Or do you believe that any external fuel tank is jettisoned "lightly"?
ANY and EVERY external fuel tank is ONLY jettisoned in emergency situations (It doesn't matter if it has IRSTs attached or not)! External fuel tanks - even the ones that only carry fuel - still costs money (and are relatively expensive) and as such they are always available in limited numbers.

So, the point still remains:
Are you going to jettison an expensive and above all, "sensitive" piece of equipment (IRST) even in an emergency situation just because it is attached to an external fuel tank?
Even if the answer is a yes - That's PLAIN STUPID nonetheless!

maus92 wrote:The tank can also be swapped with / to other Super Hornets as deployments dictate, as it was with the TCS on the F-14As.

I guess cost effectiveness is stupid to fanboys.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by marauder2048 » 20 Nov 2017, 03:26

maus92 wrote:

I guess cost effectiveness is stupid to fanboys.

But we've been constantly told that outer mold line changes are
relatively cheap and easy for the Super Hornet.

PreviousNext