Commander Naval Air Forces wants more F/A-18s

Program progress, politics, orders, and speculation
  • Author

neptune

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post16 Jul 2017, 07:01

......further enhance the fleet’s readiness, situational awareness and tactical capabilities, .....
while others are stumbling and fumbling around with a-a and a-g tags and "handling", others are continuing to
get " we basically have a God's Eye View of what's going on"...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=53269

....take a look next door...while you puzzle this.
:wink:

spazsinbad

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

• Warnings: -2

Unread post17 Jul 2017, 14:32

A never-ending story with puzzlements aplenty for all concerned - perhaps with lessons for the Shornets &/or F-35s.
Toxic Air From T-45 Engine May Be Poisoning U.S. Navy Pilots
17 Jul 2017 Lara Seligman

"In the search for the root cause of a recent spike in hypoxia-like cockpit incidents that leave student pilots disoriented and short of breath, the U.S. Navy is beginning to look more closely at the quality of the air that comes off the McDonnel Douglas T-45 Goshawk’s engine and feeds into the oxygen generator system....

...The Navy says it is now looking “very closely” at the quality of the bleed air coming off the T-45’s engine as a possible source of the problem, and plans to begin testing a sample of uninstalled engines using “comprehensive” contaminant detection methods this month, the service confirmed to Aviation Week....

...Although there are many possible reasons for the incidents, aircrew reports seem to support the theory that the symptoms seen in the T-45 are caused by a toxin in the airflow. In incidents of true hypoxia—known as hypoxic hypoxia, or a lack of oxygen flow to the lungs—symptoms abate once pilots use the emergency oxygen. But many T-45 pilots had persistent symptoms that sometimes lasted for hours after landing—in one instance, the pilot could not even remember landing, said one congressional staffer familiar with the issue.

These symptoms fall in line with what is called histotoxic hypoxia, which occurs when the body’s tissues are not able to use the oxygen that has been delivered to them, and is often caused by a contaminant in the airflow.

The rapid onset or the delayed recognition of the symptoms in some cases led many T-45 pilots to speculate that what they experienced was histotoxic hypoxia due to a contaminant, according to the Navy’s report.

“Histotoxic hypoxia symptoms are highly variable across individuals, may not be immediately recognized, and 100% emergency oxygen may not quickly alleviate the symptoms,” the report states....

...The Navy’s F/A-18 Hornet and EA-18G Growler fleets have also been plagued by incidents of hypoxia, as well as the Air Force’s F-35As at Luke AFB, Arizona."

Source: http://aviationweek.com/defense/toxic-a ... avy-pilots
RAN FAA A4G Skyhawk 1970s: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/

outlaw162

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post17 Jul 2017, 19:34

Saturday morning Guard drill weekend, I would occasionally have histotoxic hypoxia. :mrgreen:

spazsinbad

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

• Warnings: -2

Unread post17 Jul 2017, 22:17

I hope you mean you have it on parade? And you fall flat on your face forward like every good brit bearskin guardsman. :mrgreen:

JEEPERS I would not like you to experience that in the air. I have mentioned my carbon monoxide poisoning early on when basic training in a rotary piston Winjeel. Waiting for my always late instructor with the engine idling but this time with a tail wind pushing exhaust over the open canopy. Once in the air I was MUCH MORE DOPEY than usual which the instructor noticed so he suggested we return to Point Cook. Then he took over landed and sent me to the sick bay where they did a blood test to note my elevated carbon monoxide and other contaminants intake - otherwise I would have failed. And I felt as sick as a dog.
RAN FAA A4G Skyhawk 1970s: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/

outlaw162

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post17 Jul 2017, 23:00

CH3 CH2 OH histotoxic hypoxia.....Jeremiah Weed, etc. (Not CO)

Helped me avoid parades.

They still aren't having any problems with my kid's T-6 OBOGS just down the road from Kingsville....so I still maintain the food at the Kingsville Club and possibly associated airborne residual gases may be the culprit. The O2 generator units are somewhat different however....maybe the Goshawks could just switch to the Texan II system. :D
Previous

Return to Program and politics