spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

• Warnings: -2

Unread post23 Jan 2017, 18:40

Entire article above in PDF (I guess) is now available here:

ANALYSIS: Israel wings it on F-35 23 Jan 2017 Arie Egozi

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... 35-433077/
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber

fang

Unread post05 Feb 2017, 16:14

January 25th, 2017 Adir #3 (903) made FF, February 5th, 2017 Adir #4 (904) made FF
They are part of LRIP-9 group and schedule to arrive Israel in early April 2017 together with Adir #5 (905) and Adir #6 (906)
Images of 903 & 904 FF (credit on the pic)
Attachments
IAF F-35i 903 FF.jpg
IAF F-35i 904 FF.jpg

mrbuno

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post05 Feb 2017, 18:04

fang wrote:January 25th, 2017 Adir #3 (903) made FF, February 5th, 2017 Adir #4 (904) made FF
They are part of LRIP-9 group and schedule to arrive Israel in early April 2017 together with Adir #5 (905) and Adir #6 (906)
Images of 903 & 904 FF (credit on the pic)

903 was already seen flying on January 16th and 904 on February 1st:

903: https://www.flickr.com/photos/36600796@N04/31513405964/

904: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mjd312/31814487324/

fang

Unread post09 Feb 2017, 06:46

mrbuno you are so right, thanks for correcting.
As a reward enjoy the IAF pic of 901&902 kissing in Nevatim AFB
Attachments
IAF F-35i 901 902.jpg

neptune

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post13 Feb 2017, 08:03

http://www.defensenews.com/articles/isr ... -1-billion

Israeli F-35 buy-back surpasses $1 billion

By: Barbara Opall-Rome
February 12, 2017

TEL AVIV – Israel’s Defense Ministry announced Sunday that completed industrial cooperation or buy-back contracts with Lockheed Martin on the F-35 program surpassed the $1 billion benchmark since Israel signed its first contract in 2010 for an initial 19 fighters. According to Avi Dadon, MoD’s deputy director of purchasing, Israeli firms entered into $258 million worth of new contracts during 2016, a 33 percent surge from the previous year. “The scope of industrial cooperation between [Lockheed Martin] and Israeli industries, just in the past year, illustrates the big, raw potential of this deal to the Israeli economy,” Dadon said.

Key Israeli suppliers to Lockheed Martin for the year that just closed include Elbit Systems, which together with Rockwell Collins expanded their production contract for sensor-fuzed helmets by $206 million; and Israel Aerospace Industries, which received a $26 million follow-on contract for wing sets. Two other Elbit subsidiaries – Cyclone and Tadiran – also scored orders exceeding $20 million last year for structural components and radio amplifiers respectively.

Dadon noted that several Lockheed Martin contracts were extended to small firms in northern Israel to support industries near the “line of confrontation” along the border with Lebanon. He said the Ministry aimed to work in the coming year “to further deepen” industrial cooperation associated with Israel’s F-35 program. Israel is now negotiating its third contract for another 17 F-35A fighters, which will bring the Israel Air Force’s inventory to 50.

In an interview late last year, Jack Crisler, Lockheed Martin’s vice president for F-35 business development, said Israeli technology was benefiting not only those planes destined for the Israel Air Force, but in many cases, all partner and customer nations of the fifth-generation fighter.

:)

fang

Unread post16 Feb 2017, 21:12

The Israeli Air Force grounded one of the F-35 pilots after he published in a local magazine an article about his flight impressions in The Adir (F-35i) without a proper authorisation.
No classified information revealed since the article been approved by the military censor but not by the IAF spokesperson unit (The IAF public affairs officer).
The pilot (Major E) is well valued by the IAF after serving over 20 years as F-16 pilot in many roles, he says that his intention was innocent but some how he missed the regulations.
Most of the people think this punish (1 year grounding) is too heavy.

A brief of the article (in Hebrew)
http://www.yediot.co.il/articles/0,7340 ... 42,00.html
Last edited by fang on 16 Feb 2017, 21:45, edited 2 times in total.

SpudmanWP

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post16 Feb 2017, 21:24

Google Translate:

I first sit in the cockpit and the first thing I notice that it's beyond the standard throttle gum, as I have known each other aircraft, there's no buttons or watches. As befits the plane of the iPhone generation, all the engineers left this one big touch screen, 16 inches.

As smartphone is now also an encyclopedia and a camera and a phone, then on F-35 screen is also a fuel gauge and radar and missile system. All presented a pilot application and convenient, intuitive and requires some learning. If something is displayed on the screen in red - this is very bad; if it's green - everything is fine; yellow - understanding alone. this way the pilot process facilitates the flow of information in real time, and in the case of Adir "I realize very quickly that this is not allowed. F-35 one knows gather more information four legacy jets together, and without a clear view and comfortable cockpit would get lost in the tsunami of information thrown at him.

F-35 is a single-seat. This plane is so sophisticated and easy to operate, with simulators so accurate, not only did he single-seat - not even two-seater built one for training. She even first solo flight.

Instead navigate or guide there's a robot. Remember the famous scene in Star Wars: A New Hope "as the battles of Luke Skywalker compromised and R2D2 out a screwdriver and fixes the wiring during the flight? The robot here called ICP and runs alongside the pilot from turning the key to that return the aircraft to the parking lot. No, actually the plane. There Kuden with 16 digits, it's like remember your credit card number. ICP actually found the whole operation and the pilot wants to make the plane. And some of them simply will not perform, for example, if it is too busy or did not liked them. Operations that may cause the aircraft to lose control and crash entering this niche of not pleasing.

Because of this, ICP detects a fault When he did not drop it as your default. At first he treats himself, and notify you if further action is needed. If the computer revealed radar target, it will show you that just as it is important enough and close, so do not waste valuable time even you.

By now I was used to having one radar screen, both the map and your location, and the third warning about the missiles. You would need to cross-reference all three function in all discarded information you need from three directions while you are driving a car moved at 900 mph and under rocket attack at 3000 mph or more. As a young pilot, you usually course information overload and freezes on the controls.

In F-35 does not have to build and maintain the image at the top of the battle. Do not even have to press a button. More than that, I do not even know where the information came from. He could have reached the missile warning system, radar or radar ever got another aircraft structure and automatically transferred. All that remains to do is pilot to decide what to do with the information. Is it a missile launch, throw the bomb or it may just turn around and go home. So when it comes to calculating ability and willingness to make decisions - even before we started to try to shoot down other aircraft - pilot of the F-35 has been in the lead.

Let's talk a minute about stealth. Stealth fighter made of special materials and designed in a way that passes the less reimbursement radars, so they see it only in a much shorter relative to the plane normal. This is a very significant advantage on the battlefield because until today - and in the visible range of years - it is very difficult to locate and harm plane without radar detection. There are other means to bring down airplanes, such as guns or heat seeking missiles, but they have a very close very purpose, which is difficult to achieve without it rises on the radar. The bottom line is, when you take off the job at F-35 , you see the enemy from a great distance and can harm them while they are very close to you will need to see you and hurt you. you will have all the tools to overthrow them before they enter the range that might jeopardize you.

Difficult to explain the change that this brings to the battlefield and how much it significantly. It's a bit like playing with cheats, or be a superhero. In F-16 was spitting blood to win - a training flight or simulator, and together with another plane - a pair of planes that simulate enemy. Many times I was on the kidnaps. Outstanding "pair against pair it just is not training. Magic of the aircraft make it child's play. Please bring six enemy planes, otherwise it does not Forces.

F-35 is not the world's best fighter plane in each category, but he is not the first time is probably second. F-15 could perhaps carry a bit more bombs, F-16, maybe a little smaller and agile. But war is not sterile world of individual ability. How exactly could the F-15 missile batteries to penetrate the enemy with modern radar sees him hundreds of miles away? What will help with F-16 its excellent maneuverability, if an enemy plane would knock him long before he knows we have to maneuver? As a whole war, Outstanding "brings capabilities that no other aircraft. and the area that is constant arms race and war tradition of summer, it's definitely an advantage that makes you feel good. At least for a moment
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post17 Feb 2017, 00:40

Yeah but no but yeah but - can he fly in the FMS? "...Most of the people think this punish (1 year grounding) is too heavy."
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post01 Mar 2017, 06:52

305Kb 4 page PDF of entire article: http://www.airforcemag.com/MagazineArch ... sraeli.pdf (300Kb)
OR
http://www.jsf.mil/news/docs/20170301_T ... _F-35s.pdf (187Kb)
The Israeli F-35s
April 2017 Gideon Grudo

"...some observers say Israel is the only country whose variant is unique. According to Lockheed Martin spokesperson Eric Schnaible, the company modified the F-35 for Israel in three main areas: command, control, communications, computers, and intelligence (C4I), electronic warfare, and weapons integration.

Initially, the US refused to allow Israeli modifications to the F-35. The compromise reached involved not changing anything inside the aircraft, but allowing the Israelis to add capabilities on top of the existing infrastructure.

State-run Israel Aerospace Industries, for example, is working on a C4I overlay for the F-35, with Lockheed Martin. “It’s open architecture, which sits on the F-35’s central system, much like an application on your iPhone,” Benni Cohen, general manager of IAI’s Lahav Division, told Defense News last year.

“The F-35 Adir aircraft has also been provisioned to allow updates to EW and weapons interfaces,” Schnaible said. “The design of aircraft installations, power, and cooling have been modified to provide IAF the ability to incorporate indigenous weapons.”

The types of weapons Israel will be adding to the F-35 are either classified or not yet known, and Moti wouldn’t confirm either.

“It’s like a view to the future. We know we want to fly with Israeli weapons in this aircraft,” he said. “Because it’s so complex, we started working today on understanding how we can integrate future weapons.” The same goes for communications, the challenge being figuring out a way for the F-35 to communicate with the F-15s and F-16s it’s going to fly alongside.

“We need to have Israeli communications,” Moti said. “The aircraft are supposed to speak in the same protocols.” As the F-35 is akin to “a flying computer,” Moti explained, “if you’re not speaking the same language as this computer, you cannot do anything.”... [well I say, I say son (do your best Foghorn Leghorn impression here "This is gonna cause more confusion than a mouse at a burlesque show." http://www.barbneal.com/wp-content/uploads/fogleg16.mp3 (59Kb))

...Reinventing the Air Force
The introduction of a unique aircraft like the F-35 will affect the nature of communication and war planning within the IDF.

“Now we are going to have a mixed fleet,” said retired IAF Brig. Gen. Ephraim Segoli. He served in IAF for 25 years and in 1997 studied as a fellow at the School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala. In Israel, he eventually joined the Fisher Institute for Air and Space Strategic Studies, where he heads the Airpower and Asymmetric Conflict Research Center.

“The F-35 is bringing a new culture. It is a big challenge. Not just a technical challenge, like how we talk,” but also how airmen and other branches of the military will use information, in what order, and with what aims. Like everything else with the F-35, “time and experience” will reveal the potential advantages and limitations of the aircraft, he said....

...The amount of information the F-35 is designed to gather and disseminate to the rest of IAF and IDF may also change the way IAF operates within the IDF. “In my opinion, the air force has a very unique part in any campaign planning,” said Segoli.

“It was not done and it is not done,” he told Air Force Magazine in a January interview, referring to IAF’s role in holistically advising on military campaigns. “The air force must understand [the F-35] is not just there to improve one, two, or three capabilities.”

While the F-35 can allow IAF to penetrate threats now being developed, Segoli emphasized he sees no current threats the F-35 is capable of attacking alone. Rather, he emphasized the role of the aircraft in deterring those rising threats. If Iran is considering rolling out nuclear capabilities, the F-35’s ability to fly past the country’s surface-to-air defense system may affect such plans....

...It may be years before the F-35 program settles into enough of a routine for today’s questions about unit costs and planned inventories to be resolved. But whatever quantities and capabilities the F-35 ends up offering later, within the IAF there is considerable agreement that it’ll be “adir.”"

Source: http://www.airforcemag.com/MagazineArch ... F-35s.aspx

fang

Unread post04 Mar 2017, 11:24

Feb 24, 2017 Texas: IAF's Adir (F-35i) #905 made first flight, next to fly is #906 during the coming two weeks
All the 4 planes (903-906) schedule to arrive Israel next month
Attachments
IAF F-35i 905 FF.jpg
photo by Keith Snyder

mixelflick

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post04 Mar 2017, 14:09

SpudmanWP wrote:Google Translate:

I first sit in the cockpit and the first thing I notice that it's beyond the standard throttle gum, as I have known each other aircraft, there's no buttons or watches. As befits the plane of the iPhone generation, all the engineers left this one big touch screen, 16 inches.

As smartphone is now also an encyclopedia and a camera and a phone, then on F-35 screen is also a fuel gauge and radar and missile system. All presented a pilot application and convenient, intuitive and requires some learning. If something is displayed on the screen in red - this is very bad; if it's green - everything is fine; yellow - understanding alone. this way the pilot process facilitates the flow of information in real time, and in the case of Adir "I realize very quickly that this is not allowed. F-35 one knows gather more information four legacy jets together, and without a clear view and comfortable cockpit would get lost in the tsunami of information thrown at him.

F-35 is a single-seat. This plane is so sophisticated and easy to operate, with simulators so accurate, not only did he single-seat - not even two-seater built one for training. She even first solo flight.

Instead navigate or guide there's a robot. Remember the famous scene in Star Wars: A New Hope "as the battles of Luke Skywalker compromised and R2D2 out a screwdriver and fixes the wiring during the flight? The robot here called ICP and runs alongside the pilot from turning the key to that return the aircraft to the parking lot. No, actually the plane. There Kuden with 16 digits, it's like remember your credit card number. ICP actually found the whole operation and the pilot wants to make the plane. And some of them simply will not perform, for example, if it is too busy or did not liked them. Operations that may cause the aircraft to lose control and crash entering this niche of not pleasing.

Because of this, ICP detects a fault When he did not drop it as your default. At first he treats himself, and notify you if further action is needed. If the computer revealed radar target, it will show you that just as it is important enough and close, so do not waste valuable time even you.

By now I was used to having one radar screen, both the map and your location, and the third warning about the missiles. You would need to cross-reference all three function in all discarded information you need from three directions while you are driving a car moved at 900 mph and under rocket attack at 3000 mph or more. As a young pilot, you usually course information overload and freezes on the controls.

In F-35 does not have to build and maintain the image at the top of the battle. Do not even have to press a button. More than that, I do not even know where the information came from. He could have reached the missile warning system, radar or radar ever got another aircraft structure and automatically transferred. All that remains to do is pilot to decide what to do with the information. Is it a missile launch, throw the bomb or it may just turn around and go home. So when it comes to calculating ability and willingness to make decisions - even before we started to try to shoot down other aircraft - pilot of the F-35 has been in the lead.

Let's talk a minute about stealth. Stealth fighter made of special materials and designed in a way that passes the less reimbursement radars, so they see it only in a much shorter relative to the plane normal. This is a very significant advantage on the battlefield because until today - and in the visible range of years - it is very difficult to locate and harm plane without radar detection. There are other means to bring down airplanes, such as guns or heat seeking missiles, but they have a very close very purpose, which is difficult to achieve without it rises on the radar. The bottom line is, when you take off the job at F-35 , you see the enemy from a great distance and can harm them while they are very close to you will need to see you and hurt you. you will have all the tools to overthrow them before they enter the range that might jeopardize you.

Difficult to explain the change that this brings to the battlefield and how much it significantly. It's a bit like playing with cheats, or be a superhero. In F-16 was spitting blood to win - a training flight or simulator, and together with another plane - a pair of planes that simulate enemy. Many times I was on the kidnaps. Outstanding "pair against pair it just is not training. Magic of the aircraft make it child's play. Please bring six enemy planes, otherwise it does not Forces.

F-35 is not the world's best fighter plane in each category, but he is not the first time is probably second. F-15 could perhaps carry a bit more bombs, F-16, maybe a little smaller and agile. But war is not sterile world of individual ability. How exactly could the F-15 missile batteries to penetrate the enemy with modern radar sees him hundreds of miles away? What will help with F-16 its excellent maneuverability, if an enemy plane would knock him long before he knows we have to maneuver? As a whole war, Outstanding "brings capabilities that no other aircraft. and the area that is constant arms race and war tradition of summer, it's definitely an advantage that makes you feel good. At least for a moment

Ground him for a year? For this??

They should promote him, given I'm now more confused about Israel's F-35's than I was before reading it...

fang

Unread post05 Mar 2017, 06:51

mixelflick wrote:Ground him for a year? For this??
They should promote him, given I'm now more confused about Israel's F-35's than I was before reading it...

It's not the air force, It's a direct order from the IDF chief of staff, he is freak about the media and takes extreme measures against who violate the regulations.
I'm with you, this pilot got great flying skills but he is also a good writer, instead of ban him they should make him write about it regulary in a special column within the regulations.

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post07 Mar 2017, 10:22

Jeepers - how did we miss this GEM of a post?! I should check & check again because I'm laffing too much... FUD supreme.
Unanswered Questions About the F-35’s Six-Day Flight to Israel [TOLDYA this is an excellent clickbaiter - FUD]
16 Dec 2016 Giovanni de Briganti

"After a six-day ferry flight from the United States – as long as it took Israel to win the 1967 war [GOD supposedly made creation in SIX DAYS - get over it Giovanni] -- the first two Lockheed F-35Is for the Israeli Air Force finally arrived at Nevatim air base, in southern Israel, six hours late. Many contradictory explanations have been provided for this delay.... [contradictory in that no one wants to tell you nuttin' - you obviously won't understand so why bother]

...Looking into why a routine delivery flight took so long, we ran into a wall of obfuscation, contradictory explanations, deflections and unanswered questions that, given the F-35 enterprise’s past record, suggested that something was being hidden.

While no evidence of any failure has emerged, we have found no plausible explanation of why the F-3 [this is that stupid alien show all over again - no explanation so I'll invent one] -- often billed as the world’s most advanced fighter -- took six days to fly from Texas to Israel, nor why, despite its much-vaunted “5th-generation” avionics, it was unable to take off on the final leg of its flight because of fog – fog which did not affect scheduled and[sic] air traffic at a nearby civil airport.... [GIOVANNI these are expensive jets when safety in SDD phase is an ongoing concern - deal with it]

...on Dec 16 by another Lockheed spokesman, Eric W. Schnaible, who said the jets arrived at Lajes on Dec. 6 and at Cameri on Dec. 8, where they remained until taking off for Israel on Dec. 12.

But their takeoff, originally scheduled for 07:00, was delayed for six hours because of heavy fog which, however, did not affect commercial flights at Milan Malpensa international airport, 8.5 km away, as shown by this screen grab:... [GIOVANNI has not been a pilot we can guess - he knows they are super human and the weather is the same all over - even in fog at departure and enroute what was weather and at arrival point?]

...Lockheed’s Schnaible also belatedly provided additional information about the flight that was previously unavailable. He said:
“The US Military Defense Contract Management Agency (DCMA) F-35 ferry pilots planned, coordinated USAF tanker support for trans-Atlantic Ocean aerial refuelings and accomplished the delivery in three legs to meet the IAF's request for a 12 Dec 1400 arrival.

“1st leg had 5 refuels for each jet. Flight time was 7.2 hours from Fort Worth to Lajes; 2nd leg had 3 refuels with flight time of 4.5 hours Azores to Cameri AB, Italy on 8 Dec. 3rd leg was planned for 12 Dec.”

...[Then there are a bunch of mostly idiotic questions so go there to find out if GIOVANNI is an idiot - I like the way Schnaible answers questions] Asked to comment, Lockheed’s Schnaible said he did not know why Cameri was preferred, “but the FACO may have been a better F-35 support facility if needed.” The FACO is the F-35 Final Assembly and Check-Out facility also located on Cameri air base.

Regarding the delivery’s six-day duration, Schnaible said “the flights were planned to support [Israel’s timing] request. To ensure safety of flight, aircrew rest rules are followed between flight legs so the pilots are fully refreshed for their flights.”

Lockheed’s Schnaible said that “There were no technical delays, and I am told the jets arrived Code One, meaning no discrepancies.” He referred further questions about the Cameri layover to the Italian air force whose press office, as stated above, declined to comment....

[Then there is a long ramble about 'why was there a delay in the foggy departure' - it is hilarious]

...Yet more questions about F-35 operations that will remain unanswered." [I CANNOT NOT WAIT! - I'm outta here]

Source: http://www.defense-aerospace.com/articl ... srael.html

steve2267

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post07 Mar 2017, 16:15

spazsinbad wrote:
Unanswered Questions About the F-35’s Six-Day Flight to Israel [TOLDYA this is an excellent clickbaiter - FUD]
...Lockheed’s Schnaible also belatedly provided additional information about the flight that was previously unavailable. He said:
“The US Military Defense Contract Management Agency (DCMA) F-35 ferry pilots planned, coordinated USAF tanker support for trans-Atlantic Ocean aerial refuelings and accomplished the delivery in three legs to meet the IAF's request for a 12 Dec 1400 arrival.

“1st leg had 5 refuels for each jet. Flight time was 7.2 hours from Fort Worth to Lajes; 2nd leg had 3 refuels with flight time of 4.5 hours Azores to Cameri AB, Italy on 8 Dec. 3rd leg was planned for 12 Dec.”

That guy's a piece of work for sure. Who knows about the fog. Maybe their tankers were flying with them, and they could not depart in the fog? So the F-35's were grounded because their escort was grounded. F-35's can't fly un-escorted, dontchaknow. :roll:

The refueling comments by Schnaible intrigue me though. Sounds like they tanked over the east coast of the US, then roughly every 600nm after that, as they still had Halifax Intl (Nova Scotia) and St Johns (Newfoundland) as divert options. Once past St Johns they had the Azores made (gas wise). The second leg from the Azores probably had one, maybe two IFRs, before they made the coast of Portugal or Spain, and then two (or one) more fillups to get them all the way to Cameri AB.

2016_IAF_F-35A_Texas-Azores.jpg
Take an F-16, stir in A-7, dollop of F-117, gob of F-22, dash of F/A-18, sprinkle with AV-8B, stir well + bake. Whaddya get? F-35.

blindpilot

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post07 Mar 2017, 18:50

spazsinbad wrote:Jeepers - how did we miss this GEM of a post?! I should check & check again because I'm laffing too much... FUD supreme.
"After a six-day ferry flight from the United States –...
While no evidence of any failure has emerged, we have found no plausible explanation ...
[Then there is a long ramble about 'why was there a delay in the foggy departure' - it is hilarious]
...Yet more questions about F-35 operations that will remain unanswered." [I CANNOT [b]NOT
WAIT! - I'm outta here]

<SARC ON> This Just In!!! I asked the janitor at Cameri AFB whether they had rats or mice at the hangar. He refused to answer but looked at me with a strange look as if he was hiding something. We CAN ONLY WONDER whether in fact there are not rats in the weapons bay of one or both of the Israeli F-35s, and probably every F-35 assembled there, that have eaten the wiring going to some control surface, endangering the children who are swimming on the beaches of California, which have also been known to have rats! You can count on me to keep at this story until Lockheed provides an answer! <SARC OFF>

Ain't it the truth!,
BP
PreviousNext

Return to Program and politics