by maus92 » 14 Feb 2014, 19:16

Preview piece this morning on CBS's morning show:

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/pentagon- ... n-history/

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by Lightndattic » 14 Feb 2014, 20:27

maus92 wrote:Preview piece this morning on CBS's morning show:

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/pentagon- ... n-history/

From the preview, it appears to be a neutral story with a good deal of insight from the program office as opposed to being a hitpiece starring the usual blowhards. I think I'll check it out.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by gtx » 14 Feb 2014, 21:29

The only thing that concerns me with shows like this (and I will admit that I am only going by the preview so far) is that they constantly paint Chris Bogdan as being anti-Lockheed/anti-contractor. Anyone who has spoken to him knows that he is equally tough on the customer side/his own people. Often though that side, which recognises that the delays etc have taken 'two to tango', doesn't seem to be portrayed. I hope this isn't the case again here.

by newmanfrigan » 14 Feb 2014, 21:46

I fully expect an anti-F-35 hackjob. I guess we'll wait and see....

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by count_to_10 » 15 Feb 2014, 00:32

Looks like a typical hack-job from the teaser.
Einstein got it backward: one cannot prevent a war without preparing for it.

Uncertainty: Learn it, love it, live it.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by smsgtmac » 15 Feb 2014, 17:45

The preview makes it looks like more of the same from Lt Gen "Made-for-TV" Bogdan. I enjoyed the bit about "Somebody put the valve in backward - "I'm not gonna' pay for it" As if LM would ask. I've seen his management style before. Good for buying him elbow room and approval from above and outside the program. Inside the program? Not so much. Like all the rest, his sins will be paid for by later PMs.
I'd like to see a 60 Minutes piece on the JSFPO efficiency and productivity. Given the scale and scope of the program, with 3 US services and 8 foreign partners, and with real estate spread over Crystal City VA, the operation had to have sucked in every careerist in DC.
--The ultimate weapon is the mind of man.

Banned

by zero-one » 16 Feb 2014, 00:27

Hers another trailer for the Special

[YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TafBvtuu52U[/YouTube]

Curious: A Marine pilot was asked at around 0:35 about the F-35s Kinematics and says that
"Those are Metrics of a bygone era. they don't apply anymore"

I think its too much of an overstatement, yes I realize that the F-35 will capitalize on more than just Kinematics for dominance, but to say that they are no longer Relevant seems exaggerated to me.

In my opinion, Stealth and SA have been added to the metrics used to measure a fighter's competence and may well be the primary metrics, but Kinematics are surely still relevant in measuring a Fighter's value, maybe of secondary importance but still relevant none the less.

Otherwise, why not simply equip the X-47B class fighters with A-A missiles and send them to sweep the skies.

What do you guys reckon? does the entire service (AF and Navy included) share the same views as the Marines?

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 16 Feb 2014, 01:28

Perhaps if you wait to view the story on the tube you may hear that same quote in a context that will be more helpful. This forum is full of 1v1 stuff. However a long time ago in a galaxy far far away a person said in regard to the F-35 "Maneuvering is Irrelevant" - and the whole universe was silent. Google it to be sure. :devil:

Banned

by zero-one » 16 Feb 2014, 09:29

spazsinbad wrote:Perhaps if you wait to view the story on the tube you may hear that same quote in a context that will be more helpful. This forum is full of 1v1 stuff. However a long time ago in a galaxy far far away a person said in regard to the F-35 "Maneuvering is Irrelevant" - and the whole universe was silent. Google it to be sure. :devil:

I believe it was Northrop who made that statement when they were promoting the DAS system.

Taken into context,in order to emphasize the capabilities of DAS a bold statement such as "Maneuvering is Irrelevant" was a necessary thing to say. It emphasizes the game changing capabilities of DAS.

but maneuvering is relevant even with such revolutionary technologies,

Stealth means difficult to detect not invisible, and at some point someone will get lucky and shoot at an F-35,

At that point the F-35s massive ECM suite will do most of the work
but the pilot will still thank the Lord all mighty that PW made the F-35 with a massive 43,000 pound thrust class engine and an FCS system that will allow him to slam his aircraft with F-16 & F-18 like maneuverability to make sure he goes home with a good story instead of being in a body bag.

Maneuvering is not only relevant at 1V1, actually I often think of the F-35 in outnumbered scenarios
4 Vs 8, 6 Vs 12 etc. all in favor of the enemy

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 16 Feb 2014, 10:07

VG & Star. The RAAF will operate a minimum of four - I guess in multiples of four when they have them. Others including the US have made similar statements. You may know where one is - or even two - perhaps three - what about that other singleton, somewhere out there..... Oh the horror.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by count_to_10 » 16 Feb 2014, 18:48

spazsinbad wrote:VG & Star. The RAAF will operate a minimum of four - I guess in multiples of four when they have them. Others including the US have made similar statements. You may know where one is - or even two - perhaps three - what about that other singleton, somewhere out there..... Oh the horror.

Like I've said before, fighting against stealth fighters is going to be like being in a monster horror flick.
Einstein got it backward: one cannot prevent a war without preparing for it.

Uncertainty: Learn it, love it, live it.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by arrow-nautics » 17 Feb 2014, 02:25

The 60 minutes report on the F-35 was a fair assessment. Thank you CBS for exposing the true flaws of the F-35 whilst also reinforcing the JSF's true assets. This was the best report I've seen from the media on the F-35. The F-35 has bugs but it's nice to have the truth of those bugs brought in to question, not political partisan lies reinforced by Boeing lobbyists!
There's an old rule among many in the fighter procurement business: "Too Early to Tell, Too Late to Stop".

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 17 Feb 2014, 02:42

zero-one wrote:Maneuvering is not only relevant at 1V1, actually I often think of the F-35 in outnumbered scenarios
4 Vs 8, 6 Vs 12 etc. all in favor of the enemy

In other words, a target-rich environment. :D
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by maus92 » 17 Feb 2014, 03:07

arrow-nautics wrote:The 60 minutes report on the F-35 was a fair assessment. Thank you CBS for exposing the true flaws of the F-35 whilst also reinforcing the JSF's true assets. This was the best report I've seen from the media on the F-35. The F-35 has bugs but it's nice to have the truth of those bugs brought in to question, not political partisan lies reinforced by Boeing lobbyists!

Yup, pretty good basic reporting, even though Lockheed Martin officials declined the request to interview for this story. Nothing particularly new to those who keep abreast of the program, but to the wider audience that 60 Minutes addresses, the various issues the program faces, the costs and schedule delays may be news to them. There are some web-only sidebars that accompany the broadcast story. One in particular notes the recent management changes at Lockheed Martin have positively affected the program's relationship with its main customer. Others deal with ALIS and vertical landings.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/can-the-f-35-be-hacked/

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 17 Feb 2014, 03:34

I have not seen the full program - I guess it will be shown on Oz TV soon enough. However having watched the ALIS segment it seems to have a sense of humour about it all. 'Open the pod bay doors ALIS' - ALIS: 'No Can Do' :mrgreen:

Next