JASDF may be in the market for more F-35s

Program progress, politics, orders, and speculation

by usnvo » 03 Dec 2018, 00:45

ChippyHo wrote:
NOT - if one isn't a fan - but then i'll make sure to ask my 13 year old teenage son next time!

I'm not a fan nor is my 13yr old son (I think 13 is past the whole Anime thing anyway, at least in the Western world. I googled Japanese Anime Gundam to see what it was), but it was pretty obvious that it was a cultural reference and the only thing Japanese and "Sci-Fi"ish enough was an Anime series.

by ChippyHo » 03 Dec 2018, 03:46

usnvo wrote:
ChippyHo wrote:
NOT - if one isn't a fan - but then i'll make sure to ask my 13 year old teenage son next time!

I'm not a fan nor is my 13yr old son (I think 13 is past the whole Anime thing anyway, at least in the Western world. I googled Japanese Anime Gundam to see what it was), but it was pretty obvious that it was a cultural reference and the only thing Japanese and "Sci-Fi"ish enough was an Anime series.

Good to know that you have so much time on your hands to research "Japanese Anime" (and hopefully nothing else!)
Now can we get back to something i actually give a poop about - namely something in the realm of "aviation" and "fighter jets" or do you need to Google those as well?

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 06 Dec 2018, 00:16

Japan confirms F-35Bs for Izumo ships [05 Dec 2018] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR-qKWwdrpY

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by steve2267 » 06 Dec 2018, 00:37

I musta missed the following part in all the other stories I have read about Japan’s reported plan to acquire 100 additional F-35’s:

The lady in the video to which Spaz just linked clearly stated the Japan has announced or confirmed it plans to purchase an additional 100 F-35B fighter jets.

That would be a fantastic plus up for Bumble Bee...
Take an F-16, stir in A-7, dollop of F-117, gob of F-22, dash of F/A-18, sprinkle with AV-8B, stir well + bake. Whaddya get? F-35.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 06 Dec 2018, 02:14

steve2267 wrote:I musta missed the following part in all the other stories I have read about Japan’s reported plan to acquire 100 additional F-35’s:

The lady in the video to which Spaz just linked clearly stated the Japan has announced or confirmed it plans to purchase an additional 100 F-35B fighter jets.

Sounds great but I have a hard time believing all 100 would be F-35B's More likely a split of ~40-50 between both models. (i.e. A-B)

by usnvo » 06 Dec 2018, 21:15

Corsair1963 wrote:
steve2267 wrote:I musta missed the following part in all the other stories I have read about Japan’s reported plan to acquire 100 additional F-35’s:

Sounds great but I have a hard time believing all 100 would be F-35B's More likely a split of ~40-50 between both models. (i.e. A-B)

It is always hard to decipher announcements, especially since Japan has already ordered some F-35s but not as many as they have stated they will order.

If it was just for their "helicopter destroyers" (There are only two and they are not exactly huge) it would be 40-50, but they have also discussed using them from smaller fields, especially on some of their outlying islands. One of the good things about the F-35 is you don't pay the huge penalty for having two types. At least not once you have the upfront investment. So if Japan decided to buy F-35Bs for their Navy (I mean really, JMSDF is a little silly although I digress) then buying more for their Air Force in lieu some of their already decided on F-35As is an attractive option. So my guess would be a hundred F-35Bs, some replacing already announced but not purchased yet F-35As for the Air Force and some additional ones for the Navy. That of course doesn't limit them from buying more F-35As either. The other problem is that this is all currently funny money and can change numerous times before it is finalized.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 07 Dec 2018, 06:00

Ruling bloc working team OKs replacing 99 old F-15 fighters with F-35s
06 Dec 2018 Noriaki Kinoshita

"...The government decided to pick the F-35A stealth jet because some of the aircraft entered ASDF service this year and expanding its wing groups would be beneficial in terms of pilot training and maintenance. Some of the F-15 replacements will be F-35B models with short takeoff and vertical landing capabilities.

Regarding the Izumo-class upgrade, government officials had explained at the Diet that turning them into full-spec aircraft carriers is needed to strengthen Japan's Pacific coast defense posture because the land area on that side of the country is smaller compared to the facing waters within Japanese territory. During the Dec. 5 panel session, Komeito lawmakers questioned whether the explanation ran counter to an earlier government statement in the Diet that possessing "attack aircraft carriers" is forbidden under Japan's policy of keeping its defense capabilities to the minimum necessary. As a result, panel members decided to leave a decision on the matter to future meetings....

...Komeito election strategy chief Shigeki Sato, also acting chairman of the defense panel, told reporters that he will seek sufficient explanations about the Izumo-class upgrade from the government. "We must explain to the public why the upgrade is necessary," Sato said."

Source: https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20 ... na/012000c

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by weasel1962 » 07 Dec 2018, 06:36

Japan operates F-15 hikotais (Sqn) in pairs from north to south. 99 would suggest 4 x hikotai replacement. Number of options here:

A. The Japanese could convert the pair of hikotais based at Naha (which shares with JMSDF) into Bs will be consistent with the distributed ops model. Coordinated training with USMC F-35Bs already using iejima would be easier.

B. Alternatively they could base Bs at Nyutabaru (which is near the JMSDF base at Kanoya) and leave the As at Naha. That way, the Bs can deploy to the other Okinawa island airfields without touching Naha.

C. Option C, base the Bs at Chitose which is not far from Yokosuka where the Izumos are based.

The Izumos can't carry that many Bs. What would be interesting is to see if the JASDF will adopt a 16 x B sqn size rather than the standard 24. Basing at options A and B would probably suggest a smaller B role for the LHDs.

B's strength is really basing flexibility. So I can't see why JASDF will procure beyond 2 squadron's worth of Bs since the cheaper As could do the job. Will wait for official announcement.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by weasel1962 » 10 Dec 2018, 01:42

Japan has ditched mother-ship and settled on “multi-purpose operation destroyer” as the changed designation for the Izumos.

via alert5...
http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201812060055.html

At least its DDOMP rather than DDAMP (Amph).

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 11 Dec 2018, 22:18

Interesting video accompanying this FIRST article below.
Defense guidelines to call for carrier function
11 Dec 2018 NHKworld

"Japan's new defense guidelines are to call for having the Maritime Self-Defense Force's largest destroyer function as an aircraft carrier, to strengthen defense of regional waters. Japan's government aims to decide next week on the new National Defense Program Guidelines. Its draft was presented to an expert panel on Tuesday...."

Source: https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20181211_37/

Japan to convert helicopter carrier Izumo into aircraft carrier
11 Dec 2018 Nikkei staff

"TOKYO -- Japan plans to convert the Maritime Self-Defense Force's helicopter carrier Izumo into an aircraft carrier under a new basic defense program to be adopted later this month....

...The government intends to adopt the new defense program at a cabinet meeting on Dec. 18. The ruling Liberal Democratic Party and its junior coalition partner, Komeito, will hold a working-level meeting later Tuesday to discuss the program outline.

Komeito, historically a dovish party, has called on the government to give a full explanation as to why the Izumo needs to be converted into an aircraft carrier, and to eliminate contractions between that policy and the government's remarks
on the matter in parliament."

Source: https://asia.nikkei.com/Politics/Japan- ... ft-carrier

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 12 Dec 2018, 08:01

Any word if the Japanese F-35B's going to be operated by the JASDF (Air Force) or JMSDF (Navy)???

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 13 Dec 2018, 00:22

Japan moves forward on F-35 buy, aircraft carrier transformation
12 Dec 2018 Tara Copp

"TOKYO — Japan is expected to announce new defense guidelines next week that would transform its newest warship into an aircraft carrier and pave the way for a major purchase of as many as 147 F-35s, the parliamentary vice minister of defense for Japan’s ruling party [why not name the guy?] said Wednesday.

Converting Japan’s newest warship, the JS Izumo helicopter destroyer, into an aircraft carrier that would carry the advanced F-35B vertical takeoff Joint Strike Fighter would mark a major shift in the post-war makeup of Japan’s Maritime Self Defense Forces....

...The Liberal Democratic Party and Prime Minister Shinzo Abe are expected to release defense guidelines next week that will take that more assertive approach, said Keitaro Ohno, [THANKS] LDP’s parliamentary vice minister for defense....

...Transforming the Izumo to be able to support the F-35 won’t cost much, as the new and modern warship, which was commissioned in 2015, already has the basics to support the vertical takeoff fighters, Ohno said. The biggest price tag [sounds just like Oz LHDs] will be a planned buy of up to 147 F-35s to both outfit the Izumo and replace Japan’s aging fleet of F-4 and F-15 fighters. Ohno said that about 40 of the aircraft would be F-35Bs for the Izumo, and 107 would be F-35As to replace the F-4s and F-15s....

…The Izumo was initially designed [not ONLY but ALSO operate F-35Bs almost] to carry SH-60 helicopters and conduct primarily regional humanitarian and search and rescue missions. The Izumo carries a crew of about 400 and is roughly the same size as the Wasp-class amphibious assault ship.

The new defense guidelines do not commit Japan to the buy, but make it possible for the leading party to move forward on seeking funding for the purchase in the next Diet session...."

Source: https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your ... -f-35-buy/

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by weasel1962 » 13 Dec 2018, 09:36

Whilst Ohno was saying about 40, mainichi which is Japan's national daily is specific on 42 Bs.

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20 ... na/019000c

Weasel's note: 2 hikotais with sqn size in between 16-24.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 13 Dec 2018, 10:37

The article from 'weasel1962' URL above says:
Japan gov't looking to buy 105 more F-35 stealth fighters
13 Dec 2018 Noriaki Kinoshita

"TOKYO -- The government is moving to buy a further 105 F-35 stealth fighters, 42 of which will be F-35B short-takeoff and vertical landing variants of the aircraft. This will bring the total number of F-35s in Japan's inventory to 147, including the 42 already slated for purchase. Funding for about half of the initial 42 aircraft will be included in the Mid-term Defense Program budget outline for the five fiscal years starting from April 2019, set to be finalized by Cabinet decision on Dec. 18....

...The F-35B variants included in the latest purchase plan are expected to be operated from the Maritime Self-Defense Force's Izumo-class vessels after their conversion from helicopter carriers to true aircraft carriers.

However, with each F-35A costing an estimated 10 billion yen (about $88 million) and F-35Bs clocking in at some 15 billion yen (about $132 million), the total outlay for 105 of the aircraft would exceed 1.26 trillion yen (about $11.1 billion). The next five-year Mid-term Defense Program budget draft appears likely to be settled in the 27 trillion yen range. However, the Finance Ministry's Fiscal System Council has called for that to be trimmed by at least 1 trillion yen by efficient equipment acquisitions, making a lower funding total probable."

Source: https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20 ... na/019000c

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by jakobs » 13 Dec 2018, 17:06

Some part of me just want to scream at them to get more B's.

PreviousNext