Program progress, politics, orders, and speculation
  • Author

maus92

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post14 Nov 2013, 19:20

F-35 on track to meet IOC targets, official says
CRAIG HOYLE / LONDON / FlightGlobal

"The F-35 Joint Strike Fighter is on track to meet the US military’s planned initial operating capability (IOC) targets from late 2015, a senior programme official [Capt Paul Overstreet] says...."

"“The F-35 is finally on a realistic timeline, and there’s steady progress being made on all fronts,” he says. “Production is very stable, and the price is coming down, which is critical for the program me.”..."

"Overstreet says development testing of the Block 2B software required for the USMC’s operational jets is running around one month behind schedule, having been affected by sequestration cuts and a brief, fleet-wide grounding order that affected the short take-off and vertical landing F-35B earlier this year. However, he notes: “We are very confident that the US Marine Corps will be able to declare IOC during 2015.”..."

"Speaking at IQPC’s International Fighter conference in London on 13 November, the Joint Program Office representative said flight testing involving a new tailhook design for the carrier variant F-35C should be completed at the US Navy’s Lakehurst site in New Jersey “next month”. The type should begin its first carrier-based trials “late next summer”, he adds, on the way to a first active duty deployment in the fourth quarter of 2018."

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articl ... ys-393029/

Looks like the tail hook trials were delayed from the summer to December.

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

• Warnings: -2

Unread post14 Nov 2013, 19:31

Although 'maus92' says this:
"Looks like the tail hook trials were delayed from the summer to December."

I would suggest the 'tail hook trials' as outlined in another thread are being completed by December - unless 'maus92' is inferring something else, which is not obvious to me. Tail hook trials are comprehensive if this is what has been happening over the last months from whenever to whenever this year. Another thread gives details for earlier aircraft. I guess a similar explanation for the F-35C will be forthcoming at some point.

Go to this page and scroll down to the 'Strike Test News' story about the rigours of testing a naval aircraft in one aspect:

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=15767&start=345
STRIKE TEST NEWS Air Test and Evaluation Squadron 23 Newsletter 2012 Issue - Shake/Rattle/Roll testing...
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber

lookieloo

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post15 Nov 2013, 06:15

spazsinbad wrote:Although 'maus92' says this:
"Looks like the tail hook trials were delayed from the summer to December."

I would suggest the 'tail hook trials' as outlined in another thread are being completed by December - unless 'maus92' is inferring something else, which is not obvious to me. Tail hook trials are comprehensive if this is what has been happening over the last months from whenever to whenever this year. Another thread gives details for earlier aircraft. I guess a similar explanation for the F-35C will be forthcoming at some point.

Go to this page and scroll down to the 'Strike Test News' story about the rigours of testing a naval aircraft in one aspect:

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=15767&start=345
STRIKE TEST NEWS Air Test and Evaluation Squadron 23 Newsletter 2012 Issue - Shake/Rattle/Roll testing...
My understanding is that the trials started some time in September, which is still technically a summer month if one pushes the definition. In any case, I certainly didn't expect it to take so long; perhaps the USN is being especially exhaustive given past shortcomings, or there may have been more problems to solve. Either way, the source seems confidant of carrier trials happening next, so I suppose that means tests have gone suitably for the time being.

popcorn

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post15 Nov 2013, 07:14

If they got that stubby tailhook on UCLASS to work, expect same outcome on the C.
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post15 Nov 2013, 07:36

'maus92' perhaps the F-35C tests were thorough - as they have been for other Naval aircraft as outlined in the article cited. Sheesh. Earlier tailhook testing stories on that same thread outline other thorough testing even for USAF emergency hook equipped aircraft. That is the nature of it despite your spinning words out of nowhere. You will have your chance to go negative when we all see a report. However it will be a report and not your surmising out of thin air.
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber

lookieloo

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post15 Nov 2013, 08:02

popcorn wrote:If they got that stubby tailhook on UCLASS to work, expect same outcome on the C.
Well, it is somewhat easier to modify a two-off demonstrator than a fighter already in production. With all that accurate computer-modeling undone by inept USN handling of wire-dynamics data, the lesson here is that maybe hook testing for carrier-based aircraft should take place at an earlier stage in the program next time. But as I said, the source's confidence that carrier trials will take place next year is a good sign, so I'll stop whining about it.

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post15 Nov 2013, 08:45

I would have thought that 'emergency use of the F-35C hook' would have been tested earlier also - in much the same way AA-1 did emergency hook testing very early. However the hooks are different as we know. I will predict that naval hooks will be tested as early as possible in future. Bear in mind the F-35C has always had a slow development for reasons known to the USN, languid IOC or whatever. Yet I would have thought a working hook (emergency for the use of) would have been a priority.

archeman

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post15 Nov 2013, 19:19

Pure speculation here....

Perhaps the new hook design studies resulted in >1 possible 'best overall' tip/tension/rebound configuration?

If so that could push out the testing time required to complete evaluation.
So they wouldn't just be testing a single new hook design, but completing dual testing, not only of one or more tips but boom tension and rebound rates against many actual landing speeds/AOA in addition to varying wire conditions. Such testing would be a sizable matrix that only time and effort could grind down.

They may also have decided to expand the testing to be more comprehensive so that they can verify actual results and measure those results against their modeled predictions so that the modeling software itself can be improved to help prevent future occurrances of improper hook design.
Daddy why do we have to hide? Because we use VI son, and they use windows.

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post15 Nov 2013, 20:49

ONLY pure speculation of course but maybe - just maybe... no I give up. Perhaps global warming and sequestration interfered with transcribing the report which was read by dolts who did not understand it so they requested it be translated into Lower Gibberish which is only understood by no one. :devil:

Return to Program and politics